* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SharpAndSlender
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 4:03 am 

Young_Metalhead wrote:
SharpAndSlender wrote:
You know, I probably could have even tolerated it if Light became a Shinigami for using the death note. But no. Just oblivion. I'm totally inappropriately raging about this shit.

I have noticed that... Oblivion is what you deserve when you want to become a fucking god with a twisted sense of justice. Period.

Yeah, in the real world maybe, but not when it's an anime and the most likable character just gets totally shafted like that.

Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/noktorn01

Lepernicus wrote:
Every record that dipshit sold took away money that could have went to a far more deserving band such as Immolation.

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 4:10 am 

SharpAndSlender wrote:
Byrain wrote:
I haven't watched the Death Note anime, but the ending for the manga nearly ruined the rest of the series for me. Frustrating and unsatisfying sums it up perfectly.

I've been looking up the differences and they seem basically the same. I wasn't a big L fan or anything, but Near and Mello are such transparently lame replacements for him it defies description, and to have THEM take out Light is ridiculous. Honestly, if it had ended after the first season, with L's death and Light gearing up to take over the world, it would have been just about perfect. It seems that it really shits the bed in the second season in general, where everything becomes way less believable and interesting and all the intensity is sort of sapped in addition to the weird yo-yo characterization. Misa's one of the worst cases- she literally just does whatever the writers feel like having her do at any given moment, regardless of whether it makes sense or not. Which sucks because I loved Misa.

I can only say I agree, after L dies the series just starts falling apart, it was at least not frustrating till the end though. If it wasn't the last few chapters, I would of called it quits during Light's breakdown...

Quote:
On another note, I just finished watching Claymore the other day, which is the total antithesis to the above as it's probably the most satisfied I've ever been with an anime series. Great, consistent characterization, cool action, a gripping story with tons of surprises, and no cheap deus ex machina plot devices.

The claymore end is filler the writers tacked on when they ran out of source material, I watched the anime shortly after it finished airing so I don't remember the details, but I recall finding it quite lacking in comparison to the rest of the show.

SharpAndSlender
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 4:21 am 

Byrain wrote:
SharpAndSlender wrote:
I've been looking up the differences and they seem basically the same. I wasn't a big L fan or anything, but Near and Mello are such transparently lame replacements for him it defies description, and to have THEM take out Light is ridiculous. Honestly, if it had ended after the first season, with L's death and Light gearing up to take over the world, it would have been just about perfect. It seems that it really shits the bed in the second season in general, where everything becomes way less believable and interesting and all the intensity is sort of sapped in addition to the weird yo-yo characterization. Misa's one of the worst cases- she literally just does whatever the writers feel like having her do at any given moment, regardless of whether it makes sense or not. Which sucks because I loved Misa.

I can only say I agree, after L dies the series just starts falling apart, it was at least not frustrating till the end though. If it wasn't the last few chapters, I would of called it quits during Light's breakdown...

Quote:
On another note, I just finished watching Claymore the other day, which is the total antithesis to the above as it's probably the most satisfied I've ever been with an anime series. Great, consistent characterization, cool action, a gripping story with tons of surprises, and no cheap deus ex machina plot devices.

The claymore end is filler the writers tacked on when they ran out of source material, I watched the anime shortly after it finished airing so I don't remember the details, but I recall finding it quite lacking in comparison to the rest of the show.

The whole time during the last episode I was like "Come on, he's going to do something cool to reverse the situation like he has every time before", but no! He literally goes out screaming and crying and desperate like a fucking child, the absolute antithesis of everything his character was through the whole series.

And yeah, I know the ending for Claymore (the anime, anyway) wasn't the best since it outpaced the manga, but the series was so good and consistent that I can overlook a kind of half-assed ending. I also really appreciated that it was an anime series filled with strong female characters who weren't sexualized in any way. I'm hardly one to give a shit about smashing the heteronormative patriarchal standards of culture, but it was a cool change in tone from the tedious misogyny that most anime is infatuated with.

Twitter:

Lepernicus wrote:
Every record that dipshit sold took away money that could have went to a far more deserving band such as Immolation.

phibzy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:24 am 

fjällvinter wrote:
Clannad. You'll cry a river

Fucking this.

I managed to get through the whole of the first season without shedding any tears, but fucking hell, After Story contains some of the saddest scenes ever.

TeRRorBld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 11:22 am 

Xeogred wrote:
Big One Piece fan myself, the latest arc was fucking mindblowing. I'm never touching Bleach though, sounds like the show is 80% filler and all my friends that have been following it for years have all come to hate it honestly. Speaking of Fairy Tail though I just started that one up recently and I'm digging it so far, definitely feels like One Piece which is cool with me.

Unfortunately, Bleach does indeed have A LOT of filler episodes. That's happening because of the progression of the manga, which is really fucking slow.
Usually, it's like: 3 manga volumes = 1 anime episode

And yeah, Fairy Tail feels a lot like One Piece. The only thing that bothers me is the non-existence of blood and death.

Gelal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 11:30 am 

The recent discussion regarding Death Note would be amusing if it wasn't absolutely disturbing. Seriously, guys? You find a mass-murderer likable, and root for him? :???:

Also, the point of the ending is that his own confidence and pride is what kills him. He's so full of it that he declares his victory before actually winning, effectively causing his defeat. Had he waited one or two seconds more, he'd have seen that nobody died, noticed that Mikami's note was fake, and might have been able to do something (I doubt it, though; evidence against him would be overwhelming). By declaring his victory in advance, he admits to being Kira and loses all chances of winning, because without a real note to use and nobody on his side (not even Ryuk, who is not amused by Light's descent into the realm of pathetic whining and childish demands), he's effectively powerless and has no means of getting out of that situation.
And I see no problem with that. First and foremost, because you're not supposed to empathize with Light (Near, as unlikable a character as he is, puts it better when he tells Light "No, you're just a murderer [...], a crazy mass-murderer"), but also because it perfectly delivers the moral of the story: if you play God and think you're suitable for judging everybody else's worth and impose your twisted sense of justice on them, you're doing it wrong and should be ready to face the consequences.

Actually, I like the end of the manga better than the end of the anime. They're only slightly different, but it's enough to make the former better, as the later kind of caters to Light fans more, despite both ending with him dead. But the presentation (him getting away, going up some stairs, etc) and the way he dies makes the end of the anime almost redeeming ('cause there's far less whining and bitching from Light).

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 1:00 pm 

Gelal wrote:
The recent discussion regarding Death Note would be amusing if it wasn't absolutely disturbing. Seriously, guys? You find a mass-murderer likable, and root for him? :???:

Some of us can tell the difference between fiction and reality you know? :lol:

Gelal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 2:40 pm 

Byrain wrote:
Some of us can tell the difference between fiction and reality you know? :lol:

And some of you miss the point, apparently. The point being that in no way, shape or form is Light portrayed as likable, and absolutely nothing (neither in the anime or the manga, if you ignore the fan-pandering end of the anime) was aimed at getting the audience to like him. ;)

Now, don't get me wrong. I can understand, to a degree, someone wanting (or rather, expecting) him to win. But to get pissed because he got what he deserved, and saying that "the end sucked" or that "it's disappointing"? That, I can't comprehend. To me, it's a sign of someone who mistook Light's "victories" for mere victories, not realizing the point of him surpassing every previous challenge was to show how he became increasingly proud and confident in his own power, and how that causes him to make a series of fatal mistakes and get his just deserts.

In short, my opinion is that just because it wasn't what you (and that's a generic "you", so don't take it personally) wanted it to be, it doesn't mean it's bad, and if you (again, generic) thought it was bad solely because of that, then you (generic, but by now it's probably not necessary to point it out) missed the point of the whole thing.

SharpAndSlender
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 3:48 pm 

Gelal wrote:

Indeed. Especially when the entire anime has had you spending time with him for 37 consecutive episodes. I hugely disagree in your assessment that he's specifically made unlikeable- there's plenty to like about him. He's extremely intelligent, resourceful, willful, and dedicated to his goal. This isn't necessarily to say that he was a 'good person', but it's entirely possible to admire the qualities of characters or people without liking the person themselves. Anyway, like it or not, Light IS the natural protagonist of Death Note, so it seems only logical that a lot of people would end up rooting for him- especially when he's make so much more likable than ultra-one dimensional characters like Near, who are set up as nothing more than speedbumps for Light.

Also, keep in mind that Light wasn't 'just' a mass-murderer. By 2012, the world genuinely is a substantially better place for the average person than before. There's collateral damage, of course, but it's hard to disagree with a 70% reduced crime rate worldwide.

EDIT: BTW, I don't intrinsically have a problem with Light dying or failing his goal, but the way they did it was just so unsatisfying that it pisses me off because it goes against the whole nature of the rest of the series.

Also, do you really find it weird that on a metal forum of all places you can find people who root for the bad guy? ;)

Twitter:

Lepernicus wrote:

Onikage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 5:25 pm 

I think of Light as an anti-hero.. He's kind of like The Punisher.

Gelal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 5:29 pm 

SharpAndSlender wrote:
Indeed. Especially when the entire anime has had you spending time with him for 37 consecutive episodes.

Which is irrelevant. In Evangelion you spend 26 episodes (plus a retelling of the last two and an alternative retelling of the whole thing; dear Hideaki Anno, haven't you milked the cow enough yet?) with Shinji, but he's still a pathetic loser and by the last episode I was hoping that someone would shove a Longinus' Spear up his ass. Just like after 37 episodes Light is still a megalomaniac mass-murderer and by the last episode I was hoping that he'd suffer a slow, painful death (or at least complete defeat).

Quote:
I hugely disagree in your assessment that he's specifically made unlikeable- there's plenty to like about him. He's extremely intelligent, resourceful, willful, and dedicated to his goal.

I fail to see how any of that makes him likable. Plus, he's also evil, manipulative, lacks practically any kind of emotion (come on, he kills his own father) - specially empathy, has an ego the size of a galaxy, etc... Quite the charming fellow, indeed. ;)

Quote:
This isn't necessarily to say that he was a 'good person', but it's entirely possible to admire the qualities of characters or people without liking the person themselves.

I never said that it's impossible to admire the qualities of someone without liking him, or that he didn't have any qualities worthy of admiration: he does (and you mentioned practically all of them), I'm just stating he's a despicable person (and I don't think that's debatable), which is unrelated to any admirable skill or ability he may have. And it looks to me like you agree on him being a despicable person.

Quote:
Anyway, like it or not, Light IS the natural protagonist of Death Note, so it seems only logical that a lot of people would end up rooting for him- especially when he's make so much more likable than ultra-one dimensional characters like Near, who are set up as nothing more than speedbumps for Light.

Him being the protagonist is also unrelated to any of what I said, and certainly not enough of a reason to root for him (see the Shinji example again).

As I said, I can understand someone wanting or expecting him to win. My "complaint", if you can call it that, was about the people who dislike the whole thing because of how it ends, and/or get pissed 'cause he doesn't win. That's what I don't get, because the whole story is presented in a way that naturally leads to him losing, and he's always presented as a cold-blooded murderer with a God complex (i.e. not likable as a human being, in spite of the positive aspects of his abilities and personality).

In short, I just think that complaining about the end because Light doesn't win is missing the point of the story. Complain about the cheap trick used to defeat him (and note that this is not the same as complaining about the way the authors did the whole defeat thing), sure, or about the unnecessarily long and sub-par second half (post L's death), but about him losing?

Quote:
Also, keep in mind that Light wasn't 'just' a mass-murderer. By 2012, the world genuinely is a substantially better place for the average person than before. There's collateral damage, of course, but it's hard to disagree with a 70% reduced crime rate worldwide.

So you think the end justifies the means? :P I've heard North Korea has a low crime rate, by the way. It must be a lovely place, don't you think?

I'll ignore your claim that "the world genuinely is a substantially better place" because your definition of "better" is unrelated to the topic of this thread. Suffice to say that I disagree, as hinted at by the North Korea reference above.

Quote:
EDIT: BTW, I don't intrinsically have a problem with Light dying or failing his goal, but the way they did it was just so unsatisfying that it pisses me off because it goes against the whole nature of the rest of the series.

Actually, having him win is what would go against the whole nature of the rest of the series, for the aforementioned reasons. I really don't see how "the way they did it [...] goes against the whole nature of the rest of the series". As I said, up until the last chapter we see him become increasingly prideful and confident, which leads to him making fatal mistakes. Perhaps your idea of what "the whole nature of the rest of the series" should be is different. And that's fine, of course, but I'll go with what the authors intended to convey.

Quote:
Also, do you really find it weird that on a metal forum of all places you can find people who root for the bad guy? ;)

I never said I found it weird, although metal has next to nothing to do with it IMHO. I believe my exact words (although partially tongue-in-cheek) were "absolutely disturbing". Again, I'm just saying it puzzles me how and why people would root for him when the story is developed with the obvious intention of making it clear that he's a disgusting bastard and leading to the final showdown in which he gets what he deserved.

Young_Metalhead
Saanut kerran. Todistetusti.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 7:41 pm 

@Gelal & SharpAndSlender
Stop it already!

It's a fucking anime! Some might like it, some might not. Some might have a sociopath complex, some might not! Some might love the twisted sense of justice Light has, some might actually love how L tries to defeat him.

:lol:

But I had fun with your discussion, anyway. :P

That "Stop it already!"... Well, don't take that seriously...

MorgraSanctified
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:07 pm 

One of my favorites was one called Kikaider

mrdanteaguilar
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:53 pm 

Vampire Hunter D
Hellsing
Blood+
Devil May Cry
Full Metal Alchemist
Gintama (pretty funny)

Those are just a few. I love anime. No, I don't like Slipknot

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 11:09 pm 

Light was easily my favorite character in Death Note, he was hilarious. I haven't read the manga so I don't know how the ending differs, but I thought the anime ending was pretty awesome, fitting, and made sense.

Gelal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 4:54 am 

Xeogred wrote:
I haven't read the manga so I don't know how the ending differs

In the manga, Mikami is imprisoned instead of committing suicide at the warehouse (he actually kills himself, but only after being imprisoned, ten days after Light's death). Light dies, but in a much more pathetic and pitiful way: instead of getting away, he spends his last 40 seconds whining and screaming "I don't wanna die" at Ryuk.

There's other things that I don't recall if they were mentioned in the anime or not, like Matsuda speculating that the reason Mikami killed himself is because Near used a real note to write something like "Teru Mikami does this and that and that, then goes nuts and kills himself on day X at time Y" (suggesting that things happened the way they did because Near was controlling Mikami) or the Cult of Kira that is seen in the last pages of the manga.

SuperVeji4
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:45 am 

Wow, Gelal said almost everything I would say about Light in Death Note. I have to be honest though, I didn't fully disagree with Light at first, but when he begins to kill innocent individuals is when I began to despise him. When he kills that American agent and his girlfriend is the exact moment when I began to detest him. Which is why I liked the ending: he fucking lost, he lost all his fucking powers and influence, and he fucking died!

I must also say that I agree completely with the opinion that the show began to decline after the death of L. I was watching the show specifically for the rivalry between Light and L, so the show was essentially over for me when L dies. Everything after that was a just one big epilogue to me, and a shitty one at that. I did find the technique that Near used to defeat Light to be somewhat anticlimatic and underwhelming, but eh, oh well. At least that whole scene was done in a very epic way.

"Delete! Delete! DELETE! DELETE! DELETE! DELEAHT! DELEEAAHHHT! DELEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!"
(Just to make it clear, I watched the Japanese version with English subtitles, but I don't know the Japanese word for delete)

Gelal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:02 am 

SuperVeji4 wrote:
(Just to make it clear, I watched the Japanese version with English subtitles, but I don't know the Japanese word for delete)

Mikami says "sakujo" ("sakujo" being an approximate transcription, in japanese it's written like so: 削除). ;)

fjällvinter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 1:07 pm 

phibzy wrote:
fjällvinter wrote:

Fucking this.

I managed to get through the whole of the first season without shedding any tears, but fucking hell, After Story contains some of the saddest scenes ever.

The Fuuko arc in the first season was kinda moving, but the entire 2nd season is very depressive. I have Air but I haven't watched it.

Another anime in the same league is EF - A tale of Melodies/Memories. Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien has some very dramatic moments.

I've found the entire Rose of Versailles (known as Lady Oscar too) and The Treasure's Island on DVD. I saw both of them in 80's, great stuff!.

For the ones who likes the more psychological stuff like DT, you can always check Mnemosyne and Satoshi Kon's masterworks: Paprika (which is the basis for the Inception movie - hell, it's so rip offing the anime...), Perfect Blue and Paranoia Agent.

Death Note went to shit after L dies.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 6:02 pm 

Yeah Inception is horse shit compared to Paprika.

And I agree with you guys about Death Note crapping out after the L stuff.

Rose of Versailles and Treasure Island are amazing shows, a shame Dezaki (the director) passed away about a month ago due to lung cancer. If you like those shows I'd also highly suggest Nobody's Boy Remi, and Space Adventure Cobra, other full shows he directed back then.

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 6:17 pm 

fjällvinter wrote:

The Fuuko arc in the first season was kinda moving, but the entire 2nd season is very depressive. I have Air but I haven't watched it.

Just think Air as Clannad without the Happy ending in the very end. Air gets just as depressing as Clannad. Also, from the looks of it, Kanon is just as depressive also but has a good ending. Kryoto Animation has either depressing stuff (Clannad, Air) or Fun stuff (Haruhi Suzumiya, Lucky Star, K-ON!).

And since there is a big Death note Discussion. I've gotten up to L dieing and just stopped 'cus I wanted to watch something else.

For a recent Anime recommendation for everyone I say check out [C] The Money of Soul and Possibility Control.
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:23 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
And I agree with you guys about Death Note crapping out after the L stuff.

I absolutely loved the first half of that series. L's exit with Light making that shit-eating grin - that was amazing, and how the show should have ended.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

LeetMetalhead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:06 pm 

hahaha, how did I not know about this thread? I love this debate about L & Light...ahh, good ol' Death Note. I still remember furiously watching over ten episodes in a row every time I sat down (I had borrowed the DVD's from a friend all at once lol. Bad idea, I've learned my lesson). However, I will admit that the second half of the show got a bit uninteresting, and almost left me a bit unsatisfied. This might have been due to the strange fact that subconsciously I wanted Light to win, but also I felt like the show got really dry after L was gone... especially those guys who replaced him. Seriously? Anyways...

I don't watch every type of anime, but I am a bit of a die-hard fan of some "seinen" anime, of which these are my favorites:

Berserk - probably the only series that I actually ended up reading the manga of, since it was so intense and the series literally ended at a climax (which was actually only the beginning of the manga). And of course the brutal, medieval theme is pretty awesome, and of course METAL.

Ghost in the Shell (both SAC I & II) - pretty mind-blowing; if you've watched it, I'm sure you know what I mean.

Cowboy Bebop - Western/cowboy + sci-fi + bebop jazz = WIN.

Black Lagoon - Another one of those shows that you just gotta watch...

Other than these, I have watched many others including Mushi-shi, Monster, Great Teacher Onizuka, N.G. Evangelion, and a bunch more.

Young_Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:10 pm 

You guys into Seinen need to watch Alien 9. You better read the mang also, but the four episodes that ran, were awesome.

Wodhlud
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 5:33 am 

Mobile Suit Gundam, Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop, pretty much the only animes I ever cared for.

SharpAndSlender
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 5:43 am 

Been watching Axis Powers Hetalia lately. Incredibly funny and well written, and the American voice actors did a great job making the humor work for a western audience.

Twitter:

Lepernicus wrote:

Onikage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:38 am 

I actually liked Death Note post-L's death. Mello might be my favorite character in the whole show.

fjällvinter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:24 am 

Pagan_Death_Sceam wrote:
fjällvinter wrote:

Just think Air as Clannad without the Happy ending in the very end. Air gets just as depressing as Clannad. Also, from the looks of it, Kanon is just as depressive also but has a good ending. Kryoto Animation has either depressing stuff (Clannad, Air) or Fun stuff (Haruhi Suzumiya, Lucky Star, K-ON!).

I watched the first Ep and I remembered that I already saw it long time ago. My bad. Suzumiya didn't do it for me tho. Kanon was for me very depressive... I recognize that I shed a tear when Makoto 'passed away', as well as with the Ayu's final arc.

Da Capo is another one that I remember being pretty dramatic, but no one can beat Remi and Marco. I saw the Remi ending just 3 years ago. Non-anime but related is Oshin. Holy sad shit it is.

Are you people into mystery stuff like Pet Shop of Horrors or Ayakashi (Samurai horror tales)?

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:55 am 

I'm into some mystery anime. Stuff like Gosick and stuff. I haven't seen Ayakashi but I'll proll watch it someday during the summer. Atm I'm watching a bastardization of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms called Koihime Musou (and it's second and third seasons: Shin Koihime Musou, and Shin Koihime Musou: otome tairen) and despite making just about every famous Chinese warrior some sort of female it is pretty good in my opinion, a good break from the stuff I've been watching before (Higurashi No naku Koro Ni {6th Rewatch}, another great series if you have the time to watch the insanity)
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

fjällvinter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 1:00 pm 

I saw the Higurashi saga. I saw jigoku shoujo up to the 3rd season, which it bored me to tears, being really predictable. I prefer 100 times Vampire Princess Miyu to it (where Hell Girl draws many influence).

Did someone see Bokurano? the first ep looks goofy, until you see the end and the whole picture. It gets more tense with each ep.

I'll try to get GeGeGe no Kitarō. I liked that series.

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:04 pm 

fjällvinter wrote:
Did someone see Bokurano? the first ep looks goofy, until you see the end and the whole picture. It gets more tense with each ep.

I saw it, wasn't the most exciting thing I have seen, but was solid and enjoyable.

Young_Metalhead wrote:
You guys into Seinen need to watch Alien 9. You better read the mang also, but the four episodes that ran, were awesome.

I kind of regret watching all four of those episodes, all the protagonist could do was whine, followed by more whining... I guess that's what I get for expecting quality from a show about elementary school kids, well, Shadow Star Narutaru was good.

Edit: Its been a long time, but there are finally more GUNNM: Last Order chapters available! :-D I believe there are some others here who voiced liking the series in the past.

Young_Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 1:41 am 

Byrain wrote:
I kind of regret watching all four of those episodes, all the protagonist could do was whine, followed by more whining... I guess that's what I get for expecting quality from a show about elementary school kids, well, Shadow Star Narutaru was good.

Then you really didn't get the point of it all... In any case, read the freaking manga.

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:12 am 

Young_Metalhead wrote:
Then you really didn't get the point of it all... In any case, read the freaking manga.

She didn't grow as a character, she didn't accomplish anything (I watched it a while ago, so my memory is fuzzy, but any growth or accomplishments were minor at best), all she managed to do was be helpless and whine about it. Which point did I miss?

Young_Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:45 am 

Byrain wrote:
Young_Metalhead wrote:

She didn't grow as a character, she didn't accomplish anything (I watched it a while ago, so my memory is fuzzy, but any growth or accomplishments were minor at best), all she managed to do was be helpless and whine about it. Which point did I miss?

The point where she's the only one being reasonable at all! She's the only one questioning stuff, being afraid...

How would you feel to be a fucking girl facing the aliens? She's not supposed tu grow, she's 12 years old man! In any case, I guess that's kind of a more deep analysis to the series (a thing the author, Hitoshi Tomizawa, does a lot).
I love how we discuss anime here.

ArtificialStupidity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:40 am 

This is the most badass anime series you will ever watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENkscDllpHg

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:41 pm 

Young_Metalhead wrote:
The point where she's the only one being reasonable at all! She's the only one questioning stuff, being afraid...

How would you feel to be a fucking girl facing the aliens? She's not supposed tu grow, she's 12 years old man! In any case, I guess that's kind of a more deep analysis to the series (a thing the author, Hitoshi Tomizawa, does a lot).

Granted, I forgot about that, though if I was looking for realism, I wouldn't have watched a show where fighting off alien invaders are left up to 12 years olds. :p

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:51 am 

While doing something... on the internet, I came across a wiki for a show (?) called 12 Kingdoms. Anyone heard of it? Thought about seeing it. Then again, sounds like a chick flick thing.
phibzy wrote:
fjällvinter wrote:

Fucking this.

And this sound like fucking lolicon stuff.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Last edited by OzzyApu on Thu May 19, 2011 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Young_Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:17 pm 

Byrain wrote:
Young_Metalhead wrote:

Granted, I forgot about that, though if I was looking for realism, I wouldn't have watched a show where fighting off alien invaders are left up to 12 years olds. :p

Ha! You got me there :P

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:33 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
While doing something... on the internet, I came across a wiki for a show (?) called 12 Kingdoms. Anyone heard of it? Thought about seeing it. Then again, sounds like a chick flick thing.

Its not a chick flick thing, its more of the epic fantasy variety. The world it takes place has had a lot of detail go into it, though the source novels were never fully adapted (No end) and it takes a dozen or so episodes to pick up.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:36 pm 

Byrain wrote:
OzzyApu wrote:

Its not a chick flick thing, its more of the epic fantasy variety. The world it takes place has had a lot of detail go into it, though the source novels were never fully adapted (No end) and it takes a dozen or so episodes to pick up.

Ok thanks. Might give it a whirl sometime.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 61  Next