Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
KayTeeBee
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:48 pm 

Droneriot should give titles to his reviews though.

HAHHAHAHA, I just read StickyshooZ' Dismember - Death Metal review....what a fucking hilarious review! :lol:

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:32 am 

Hehehe, thanks. ;)

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

GoD
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:50 am 

Gomorrah's Kataxu review is very good.

Helvete
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:49 pm 

Most of Ultra Boris´ reviews are very nice. He is allways talking about the riffs of the records (wheter they are thrashy or not) and if he says it´s a riff-o-rama I allways seem to like it.

Scarred_Soul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:23 am 

Rocknevadies, Angra - Temple of Shadows review is very good to.

Pyrus
Rabbi of Riffage

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:02 am 

Gabometal's Enemy of God review has the funniest, most random rant at the end I've ever read.

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:12 pm 

Quote:
P.D: About backpacks, what a fucking useless and cock sucking trend. There’s no place for back packs in metal, that’s for gays and poseurs, have you ever seen Paul Baloff, Rob Halford, Tom Araya or another true metalhead using a backpack? No, because that’s for wussy Korn fans and say what you say but I know what heavy metal is about because I have breathed heavy metal since I was SIX YEARS OLD.

That's what he's referring to and it is fucking hilarious. :lol

Scarred_Soul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:01 am 

I like Bloodstone's reviews. Long and informative :)

Wszebad wrote:
True Metalhead from grim and frostbitten Poland, we do not yield to homosexual false mall-metallers, no we don't!

Bloodstone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:50 am 

Scarred_Soul wrote:

Thanks.:)

Though I must say that my old reviews (Primal Fear, Testament, Overkill) are pretty much shit, as the song-by-song section COMPLETELY dominate those.

I just woke up one day and realized those reviews blow almost all of the time...although I am amazed by how Boris can sometimes keep things interesting whenever he does it...check out his The Haunted - One Kill Wonder review, that's just a bloody work of art.

Diabolical_Vengeance
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:06 pm 

Abominatrix' Esoteric review is amazing and I like Boris' reviews as well.

Nightgaunt
I'll Swallow Your Soul

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:30 pm 

Cheeses_Priced's new Arsis review is very well-done. Puts that piece of tripe in its place. I also like his Agalloch review from a couple of months ago, come to think of it.
The bizarre lattices were all around. Sticks and bits of board nailed together in fantastic array. It should've been ridiculous. Instead it seemed oddly sinister--these inexplicable lattices spread through a wilderness bearing little evidence that man had ever passed through...

requiem99
The Buddhist Killbot

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:13 pm 

HisZvironistOverlord wrote:
Cheers for the latest Satyricon - Volcano review. Jeers for this rusty tailgate.

I watched that episode this morning! LOL!

zealot1
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:44 pm 

All of Thamuz's reviews are excellent. Always to the point, never digressing into either of the extremes(the atrocious "This fucking sucks" hate-tirades galore or the equally irrelevant "omg it's a masterpiece but I can't explain why" all-out worship nonsense) His descriptions of sound are elaborate and I'd say quite accurate. Well done, man. Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

GoD
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:25 am 

Many thanks to crazpete for yet another lovely read this evening. Possibly the best reviewer on the site.

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:41 am 

GoD wrote:
Many thanks to crazpete for yet another lovely read this evening. Possibly the best reviewer on the site.

Which review?

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

GoD
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:52 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=15670#8197

It only just got accepted but it's from nearly a week ago so I'm not surprised if you couldn't find it.

crazpete
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:43 am 

GoD wrote:

:shock: Wow. Many thanks, man. I can't agree with that statement but I appreciate the praise.

GoD
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:46 am 

I did say 'possibly'. ;) There are a few who do certain things better no doubt, but in terms of well-written, detailed musical description you definitely aren't far from the top, particularly with your more recent reviews. Keep up the good work.

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:05 pm 

GoD wrote:
I did say 'possibly'. ;) There are a few who do certain things better no doubt, but in terms of well-written, detailed musical description you definitely aren't far from the top, particularly with your more recent reviews. Keep up the good work.

He's absolutely correct here. I can't say I read them as compulsively as say, swineeyedlamb's work, but that has more to do with how complex crazpete's reviews are. It can be nearly overwhelming. His reviews are as daunting as the music he's writing about, and that's a rare talent.

requiem99
The Buddhist Killbot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:17 pm 

GoD wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=15670#8197

It only just got accepted but it's from nearly a week ago so I'm not surprised if you couldn't find it.

That review is very well written, but its nearly impossible to tell if you'd like the album from reading it. You almost have to read it multiple times to even know what he's talking about, and to me, that defeats the entire point of a review.

GoD
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:53 pm 

Read Thamuz's latest reviews!

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:01 am 

GoD wrote:
Read Thamuz's latest reviews!

Agh damn, ya beat me to it. :P

Yes, Thamuz's two latest are superb. Interesting to see our different perspectives on the VBE album, too. I'm sorry I couldn't help him much with the Demigod one, but he didn't really need it.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:05 am 

Cheeses_priced is at it again. I think he is the best negative reviewer on the site, not only because his negativity is often very amusing, but because even though he clearly dislikes a work he takes the time to listen to it thoroughly, which is more than can be said for most people. His new Antestor review is uproarious, and I couldn't agree more with his assessment of Woods of Ypres.

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:16 pm 

Since I haven't pimped anything in a while (all that praise for Abom disappeared, alas) here's perhaps my favourite review on the site:

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=8387#19003

Swineeyedlamb is a stunning reviewer, and he manages to actually do what I only approximate with my ramblings on general music in the first coupla paragraphs alone.

Thamuz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:34 am 

Abominatrix wrote:
I'm sorry I couldn't help him much with the Demigod one, but he didn't really need it.

Oh, you helped, don't doubt that. Just not in the way I originally intended you to help. Both yourself and GoD tipped me towards describing a feeling rather than putting in an extensive "musical analysis." ;)

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:53 am 

The two new Falconsbane reviews (Painkiller and Darkness Descends) are pretty damned fine, particularly the Priest review. He's one of the best reviewers on the site, very verbose, knowledgeable, and with a way of writing really piercing analysis.

Cheeses_Priced
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:09 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
Cheeses_priced is at it again. I think he is the best negative reviewer on the site, not only because his negativity is often very amusing, but because even though he clearly dislikes a work he takes the time to listen to it thoroughly, which is more than can be said for most people. His new Antestor review is uproarious, and I couldn't agree more with his assessment of Woods of Ypres.

*takes a bow*

People seem to like the negative reviews better. Taking on new releases with 95%+ ratings could be a factor.

OlympicSharpshooter wrote:
Since I haven't pimped anything in a while (all that praise for Abom disappeared, alas) here's perhaps my favourite review on the site:

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=8387#19003

Swineeyedlamb is a stunning reviewer, and he manages to actually do what I only approximate with my ramblings on general music in the first coupla paragraphs alone.

With all respect to the many other fine reviewers on the site, he really is the best of us.

Cynical
Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:49 pm 

The two new Falconsbane reviews (Painkiller and Darkness Descends) are pretty damned fine, particularly the Priest review. He's one of the best reviewers on the site, very verbose, knowledgeable, and with a way of writing really piercing analysis.

Agreed, particularly on the Painkiller review.

Thamuz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:43 pm 

Cynical wrote:

I disagree with his second paragraph. "Bookending" an album with a decade of tripe to make it look "classic" is all good and fine, but that implies the person purporting such greatness on said album has actually heard what came before and after it, right?

Falconsbane
Worthless troll

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:20 pm 

Thamuz wrote:
Cynical wrote:

I disagree with his second paragraph. "Bookending" an album with a decade of tripe to make it look "classic" is all good and fine, but that implies the person purporting such greatness on said album has actually heard what came before and after it, right?

Do you seriously believe the people who fellate Painkiller haven't heard the prior and subsequent Priest albums?

Thamuz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:17 pm 

Other than "Painkiller" I've only heard "British Steel." I gave the former a rating of 93. There's an exception to every rule.

Gabometal86
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:49 pm 

Falconsbane wrote:
Thamuz wrote:
Cynical wrote:

Do you seriously believe the people who fellate Painkiller haven't heard the prior and subsequent Priest albums?

There are many guys who have only heard the most fellated album by each and every band. Easiest examples: Painkiller, Reign In Blood and Darkness Descends.

Thamuz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:21 pm 

Falconsbane's "Sound Of Perserverance" review is worth a mention. Concise, to the point.

yogibear
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:08 am 

Scarred_Soul wrote:

Question? why is it that some reviews are rather long while others are shorter? i had things i wanted to say on a couple of reviews but it seems to limit the number of words while i've read some reviews that were like twice the length of reviews i submitted.

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:06 pm 

Thamuz wrote:
Falconsbane's "Sound Of Perserverance" review is worth a mention. Concise, to the point.

I hated that review. It seemed immature, and Scorpio has a review that's almost exactly the same train of thought that kills it.

And there are no word limits. Just don't suck and it should get accepted.

Last edited by OlympicSharpshooter on Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bloodstone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:16 pm 

yogibear wrote:
Scarred_Soul wrote:

Question? why is it that some reviews are rather long while others are shorter? i had things i wanted to say on a couple of reviews but it seems to limit the number of words while i've read some reviews that were like twice the length of reviews i submitted.

Yeah, good review =/= long review. Most of my reviews, the early ones in particular, are for the most part too long for their own good; but I usually realize this about a month or so after posting them. :bang:

Thamuz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:36 pm 

Thamuz wrote:

I hated that review. It seemed immature, and Scorpio has a review that's almost exactly the same train of though that kills it.

Scorpio's was also worthy.

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:38 pm 

Bloodstone wrote:
yogibear wrote:
Scarred_Soul wrote:

Yeah, good review =/= long review. Most of my reviews, the early ones in particular, are for the most part too long for their own good; but I usually realize this about a month or so after posting them. :bang:

*whispering* Edit? ;)

Bloodstone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:16 pm 

Bloodstone wrote:
yogibear wrote:
Scarred_Soul wrote:

*whispering* Edit? ;)

I've considered that, but then it's always crossed my mind that I might as well write a review for another album instead and do more good that way. :lol:

However, I've actually changed my mind a bit about Testament - The New Order, so maybe rewrite that one...all the other albums I've reviewed back when I was starting out I still have pretty much the same opinion about today.

Gabometal86
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:33 am 

Bloodstone wrote:
Bloodstone wrote:
yogibear wrote:
Scarred_Soul wrote:

*whispering* Edit? ;)

I've considered that, but then it's always crossed my mind that I might as well write a review for another album instead and do more good that way. :lol:

However, I've actually changed my mind a bit about Testament - The New Order, so maybe rewrite that one...all the other albums I've reviewed back when I was starting out I still have pretty much the same opinion about today.

you´ve changed your mind for better or for worse on The New Order?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 520  Next