Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:35 am 

soul_schizm wrote:
Evil Dead 2 is miles better than the original, which was just a simple low-budget college project (or whatever) that made it to VHS.

I suggest actually watching it, and not taking someone's "impression" of it. It's one of the most universally applauded horror/comedy films of all time. Army of Darkness, while a good movie, seemed more contrived to me because it was trying to live up to the legacy of Evil Dead 2.

Evil Dead 2 is really the best of the bunch. I know everyone has their opinion, but I won't budge on that. It's the best of the 3, period end of story.

It's the weakest of the three although still good. It doesn't have the bone-shaking horror of the first one or the slick comedy/zaniness of the third - a sort of halfway point and not quite as good as either of its bookends.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:05 pm 

Nephilum667 wrote:
They will reference the film makers. SPOILERS AHEAD!!!

Buio Omega/ Beyond the Darkness: A necro-romance with a love triangle between a dead woman and two insane lovers who try to cover their secret! Features a soundtrack performed by Goblin (geniuses they are!) and some of the touchiest moments I've seen in horror. You gotta love the look on Kieran Canter's face when he bites a chunk of a woman's neck off.

Yeah, I can't really explain it, but I really like this movie. I agree that it's...oddly tender for its subject matter. I know full well that the director was a bit of a hack (well ok, maybe a really big one) but I'm sure it's not a mistake that people generally consider this to be his best movie. You're right, that soundtrack is amazing and somehow the movie just wouldn't be nearly as effective without it.

Quote:

The Abominable Dr. Phibes: Classic Vincent Price (probably one of his best moments in horror films) and a very evil character (also love the use of plagues as ways of killing people).

This one's good, too, and actually funnier than people sometimes give it credit for. The opening scenes are most mysterious and kind of awe-inspiring.

Quote:

The Killer Must Kill Again: The killer in this movie has a constant creepy face, even when he rapes the chick he has the same face he makes when he smokes. I love how careless the guy is about killing someone: "Sure, I can kill it. Just bring the money in cash and we'll call it done". Also has a good transition from guy hiring a murderer to becoming a murderer. Technicolor touch is pretty, too (especially the reds).

Cool, I don't really know anyone who has seen this one. Very memorable, not at all usual for a giallo. I love the total subversion of expectations when Michel Antoine's character comes out of the house to find that his car is gone! At that point the movie makes a complete left turn and becomes something else entirely than what the fewer was expecting (well, provided he didnt' read the stupid cover blurb, anyway). I wish Luigi Cozzi had made more movies like this. Starcrash and those loopy Hercules movies are awesome in their own crazy "I can't believe this!) sort of way but it seems like some really smart writing went into this one.

Quote:

Deep Red/Profondo Rosso: Never know what to expect with this movie- clues go everywhere and guesses are effortless. Violent touch and unknown atmosphere really add to the edge-of-your-seat atmosphere.

Yeah, that one is probably my second favourite of all of Argento's stuff. The death scenes are all amazingly staged, and the characters of the male and female leads are very well developed and portrayed. I think Inferno is the best of all his movies though.

Quote:

I would like to see Men Behind the Sun (hear this was based on a true story- post WWII camp terrorism movie done with a very sadistic atmosphere) and Anthroprophagus/The Grim Reaper (Joe D'Amato film featuring a fetus being torn from the womb and devoured by a mad cannibal)

Didn't enjoy Anthopophagus. I could even say it was kind of dull.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:19 pm 

forestcorpse wrote:
Does anyone have movies to recommend in the vein of these:

Black Sunday (1960)
The City of the Dead (1960)
Night of The Demon (1957)

Love all these movies, the atmosphere is just amazing.

Agreed!!

I haven't seen City of the Dead, but definitely look into the stuff made by hammer Studios in the 1950s and 1960s. You may well be aware of them already. In particular I think The Devil Rides Out should appeal to you. To the Devil, a Daughter isn't bad either, but it is marred by some crippling weaknesses.

Also, many of Mario Bava's movies share that mysterious gothic atmosphere with Black Sunday. Black Sabbath, of course, possibly the ultimate in the horror anthology genre. Baron Blood, Lisa and the Devil, and maybe a few others which I haven't seen yet myself. Blood on Satan's Claw is a must for people into these kind of period piece Brit horror films, though it's not perfect...you'll simply love the atmosphere. Maybe The Creeping Flesh, too. if you want to get a bit more smutty and 70s, try Satan's Slave. I know I'm forgetting some great titles, so I'll probably come back to this later.

Edit: The Blood-Spattered Bride, perhaps...creepy, definitely the best "lesbian vampire" movie I know of. :lol:

Edit again: This is really going out on a limb, because it's conceptually little like anything we've mentioned above, but the mood of this piece is incredible and the whole story just really gets under your skin. It's called Short Night of the Glass Dolls and was made in 1971 or so. I find it truly haunting. Basically it's about a guy who is paralysed and for all outward appearances, dead...he gets dragged through the streets of Prague like a piece of trash and tries to piece together the events that led to him being in this predicament. It's interesting because there might not be any supernatural elements at work at all but the feeling of the movie ends up being very supernatural anyway. There's a great Moricone score, a climactic scene of decadent communist party orgiasts and a literally heart-stopping ending. My jaw was on the floor after seeing this...

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:58 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
soul_schizm wrote:
Evil Dead 2 is miles better than the original, which was just a simple low-budget college project (or whatever) that made it to VHS.

I suggest actually watching it, and not taking someone's "impression" of it. It's one of the most universally applauded horror/comedy films of all time. Army of Darkness, while a good movie, seemed more contrived to me because it was trying to live up to the legacy of Evil Dead 2.

Evil Dead 2 is really the best of the bunch. I know everyone has their opinion, but I won't budge on that. It's the best of the 3, period end of story.

It's the weakest of the three although still good. It doesn't have the bone-shaking horror of the first one or the slick comedy/zaniness of the third - a sort of halfway point and not quite as good as either of its bookends.

I think Evil Dead 2 is overrated as well. I actually prefer the original.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:34 am 

Nah, Evil Dead 2 is definitely the best

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:00 pm 

I_Am_Vengeance wrote:
Nah, Evil Dead 2 is definitely the best

Going to have to put in my vote for the original, too. DOn't really see the point in Evil Dead II...a remake without the disquieting horror of the original piece.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:02 pm 

The original is just nuts. It's completely raw and unhinged. Some of the most maddening, terrifying shit I've ever seen on film.

Friaconte
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:06 pm 

Dooders wrote:
Anyone else seen Salo or 120 Days of Sodom?? :|

I have, and I didn't like it, and I do like extreme movies like Visitor Q, Man Bites Dog, Martyrs, Men Behind the Sun, Cannibal Holocaust.

I thought it was boring, too much talk for a flic that wants to make you feel bad about all that was shown, the dialogues aren't good either.

It gets better in the end, but still not what I expected.

FroMagnum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:26 pm 

So is anyone else out there a fan of Herschell Gordon Lewis or splatter films in general? I know I can't be the only one here.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:43 pm 

FroMagnum wrote:
So is anyone else out there a fan of Herschell Gordon Lewis or splatter films in general? I know I can't be the only one here.

Blood Feast 1 & 2 and Wizard of Gore are classic. Honestly I don't know that I've seen anything else in his filmography though. Recommendations?
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

FroMagnum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:07 pm 

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
FroMagnum wrote:

Blood Feast 1 & 2 and Wizard of Gore are classic. Honestly I don't know that I've seen anything else in his filmography though. Recommendations?

Well you're in luck because his two best movies are available to watch on youtube.

Two Thousand Maniacs!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIURYDKfSvg

Color Me Blood Red
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR7KMdadz2A

Det_Morkettall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:24 pm 

Since I'm most likely staying in for Halloween, I'm gonna have a horror film marathon (with Rocky Horror Picture Show thrown in somewhere, I suppose). So far, the list goes as follows:

Bram Stoker's Dracula
Nosferatu
Evil Dead
Lost Boys

Anything I should add?

Lol

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:31 pm 

FroMagnum wrote:
dontlivefastjustdie wrote:

Well you're in luck because his two best movies are available to watch on youtube.

Two Thousand Maniacs!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIURYDKfSvg

Color Me Blood Red
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR7KMdadz2A

Nice!! I'll have to hook the A/V out from my comp to my TV and enjoy later! Is Gore Gore Girls any good? Noticed it was on Netflix the other night.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

CandideCamera
Pour l'encouragement des autres

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:42 pm 

Hellraiser and Hellbound are both fantastic.

And to think; I hesitated.
THE DOCTOR IS IN

It's like Roger Rabbit wrapped up in eighteen more layers of Barker's demented genius.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:18 pm 

I managed to watch The Nightmare Before Christmas, The Mummy (new version), Return of the Living Dead, Wes Craven's New Nightmare, Freddy vs Jason, Child's Play, and Carrie last night. It would've been nice to have some people here to watch them with, but it was still one of my more enjoyable Halloweens and I still have all of my bags of Halloween candy left over...

CandideCamera

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:54 pm 

I rewatched Hellraiser last night, and I'll be damned if it wasn't the most life-affirming thing I've ever seen. Makes my mind eventually wander to constantly interesting things. Like what books those selfish cunts in Rome are hiding away from the rest of us.

Also, I noticed a consistent, if oddly unintentional lesson one can learn from horror flicks of any kind: fucking kills people! How interesting this theme is potently underplayed in Hellbound... until they actually go to hell. Ain't that some shit.

Last edited by CandideCamera on Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:03 pm 

Watched Halloween and The Devil's Advocate over the weekend and showed The Thing (1982) on the big screen at my school, so good times for Halloween movies.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:51 pm 

Watched a shit ton.

Creature of the Black Lagoon was first. Awesome atmosphere, cheesy dynamics, but the use of shadow and lighting and the underwater sequences are actually brilliant. There is such an ominous sense of weight and vulnerability to the characters when they are in the water. Simply a classic, and it stands up to the times if you just let it.

The second was Cat People not the greatest film, but it had some truly brilliant moments - especially the scene where the woman is swimming in the pool and there is a dynamite lighting scene where the cat people are hiding in the shadows. The black and white really makes this work, as the shadows lurch from side to side, simply a scene that would never work in color or hi-def. But overall, the movie wasn't too scary and the atmosphere wasn't interesting enough to keep my attention.

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari surrealist horror at its finest. It's a freaky mind bender and the set pieces and atmosphere is simply brilliant. The lack of dialogue is made up with great musical numbers and an astounding use of lighting. There's more conveyed in a man's face in this movie for a few seconds than in an entire big budget horror flick. Good stuff and worth watching.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

CandideCamera

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:17 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari surrealist horror at its finest.

Over (beyond) From Beyond, even? I'll definitely have to check that out.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:37 pm 

speedemon86 wrote:
PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari surrealist horror at its finest.

Over (beyond) From Beyond, even? I'll definitely have to check that out.

Well, I think they are two different beasts, but I feel like you'd enjoy The Cabinet it's certainly slower and demands a lot "more" from the viewer to make it scary, but if you just watch it for what it is, it's just a dandy movie.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:42 pm 

The Beyond is one of my personal favorites, but Caligari is the more influential and classically revered movie. I like Nosferatu a little better but both are essential silent horror movies...

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:43 pm 

Aww yeah, you seen Vampyr? That is also a pretty boss movie, I consider it pretty essential.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:47 pm 

Nah. I should see more of those old silent/black and white horrors. I can't get them at the drop of a hat and so I don't try as often, being busy and all. Sometime I will go see all the really old ones I've missed.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:49 pm 

Yeah, I busted up my ankle really damn bad recently on a running/hiking/biking thing so I've been just blasting through my instant que online and went through all that old b&w stuff. Have to say that lighting back then was just awesome, seeing contrasts like that are amazing. Especially Vampyr and it helps that it tells an actual gothic tale, not a snooty moody gothic tale.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

CandideCamera

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:03 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
and demands a lot "more" from the viewer to make it scary

Horror movies are less and less and less scary the less fear you already have. From Beyond was just twisted as hell, though. Yet at the same time, the behavior of all the people that die is so insane you kind of have to laugh at it. If you know who's going to survive, you can then see what choices were made to see them through. In the case of FB, at least, no good deed went unpunished.

I still like Hellraiser better.

moonslayer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:14 am 

So you might like that movie Trick 'R Treat, yeah.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:04 am 

Empyreal wrote:
The Beyond is one of my personal favorites, but Caligari is the more influential and classically revered movie. I like Nosferatu a little better but both are essential silent horror movies...

Just saw that the other night. One of the best classic Italian horror films. I also love House by The Cemetery.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

CandideCamera

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:34 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

Not The Beyond. From Beyond. Totally different.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:44 pm 

I didn't like From Beyond nearly as much as The Beyond. I realized my mistake after I read your post again.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:15 pm 

The Brood: This movie has a great atmosphere and weirdness about it. I really like the 'creatures'(don't want to give anything away) because they creep me out, And it's a David Cronenberg movie.

Rosemary's Baby: This movie is ridiculously good. One of the all time greats. The wibe is really good in this one. and the new movie "The House of the Devil" ripped this one off big time, but they made a crapier film.

The Mothman Prophecies: Best movie with Richard Gere, I just really enjoyed the story and the whole feeling I got from this movie. And the Story was interesting.

Black Christmas: Another movie with a great story and atmosphere. This movie is the best ever of the christmas kinda movies. And the first Scream movie totally ripped this off, and sucked in comparison. They even used one of the same names.

The Descent: Again this movie was just the right atmosphere, and suspense. And when I first saw it I didn't know anything about it, so I got some scares.

Vertigo: Another classic, and my favorite of all of hitchcock's movies. The best story, no-one makes movies like this anymore. Kicks Psycho and The Birds butt big time.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:40 pm 

693 wrote:
The Brood: This movie has a great atmosphere and weirdness about it. I really like the 'creatures'(don't want to give anything away) because they creep me out, And it's a David Cronenberg movie.

Yes! Those creatures freaked me out!

693 wrote:
Black Christmas: Another movie with a great story and atmosphere. This movie is the best ever of the christmas kinda movies. And the first Scream movie totally ripped this off, and sucked in comparison. They even used one of the same names.

I love this movie big time, but I don't really get the Scream connection. "Halloween" borrowed the concept of the POV shots. The remake is fucking horrible.

"Reanimator" is fucking great movie. Lots of gore, horror, and a healthy dose of black humor. The sequels don't match up.

There are a bunch of others I love that have already been mentions: Halloween (original), Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original), The Exorcist, Dawn of the Dead (both versions), Suspiria, Cannibal Holocaust, etc.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:01 pm 

TadGhostal wrote:
693 wrote:

Yes! Those creatures freaked me out!

693 wrote:

I love this movie big time, but I don't really get the Scream connection. "Halloween" borrowed the concept of the POV shots. The remake is fucking horrible.

I will never in my whole life watch a remake of this movie, because it was perfection, it's that good. You can feel the darkness when you watch that movie.

Don't get the scream connection!? psycho('s) on the phone, one of them is named billy!? that's the whole scream script right there. Craven is overrated, the best movie he ever did was the original 'The Hills Have Eyes'.

...And sorry guys for my earlier post, as I had to movies released after the eighties!

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:28 pm 

693 wrote:
I will never in my whole life watch a remake of this movie, because it was perfection, it's that good. You can feel the darkness when you watch that movie.

Don't get the scream connection!? psycho('s) on the phone, one of them is named billy!? that's the whole scream script right there. Craven is overrated, the best movie he ever did was the original 'The Hills Have Eyes'.

...And sorry guys for my earlier post, as I had to movies released after the eighties!

Much of the original Scream was an homage to other slasher films and there was a lot more to Scream than just the phone calls. The stuff about the horror expert was previously in a movie called "There's Something Out There" and their are a lot of nods to "Halloween" and "Friday The 13th". I actually think the original Scream is a solid slasher. The sequels blow and it unleashed a tidal wave of shit slashers in the '90s and early '00s. I mostly agree with your assessment of Craven. His early movies were good (I like the idea of "Last House on the Left" but hate the execution, but "Hills Have Eyes" and the original "Nightmare on Elm Street" are great, and some of his other '80s movies are fun). The guy seems to not really have enjoyed being a horror guy, though, or at least being labeled as one, and he lost whatever magic he once had.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:01 pm 

TadGhostal wrote:
693 wrote:

Much of the original Scream was an homage to other slasher films and there was a lot more to Scream than just the phone calls. The stuff about the horror expert was previously in a movie called "There's Something Out There" and their are a lot of nods to "Halloween" and "Friday The 13th". I actually think the original Scream is a solid slasher. The sequels blow and it unleashed a tidal wave of shit slashers in the '90s and early '00s. I mostly agree with your assessment of Craven. His early movies were good (I like the idea of "Last House on the Left" but hate the execution, but "Hills Have Eyes" and the original "Nightmare on Elm Street" are great, and some of his other '80s movies are fun). The guy seems to not really have enjoyed being a horror guy, though, or at least being labeled as one, and he lost whatever magic he once had.

I get the homage part with Scream, and there are a lot of them in it, but I still think it took a little to much from Black Christmas. Of course there is more to the movie then the phone calls, but you can't deny it's a major part of the movie, and the main reason the movie is so memorable. One thing I've always thought was that there were two killers in Black Christmas, as it sounds like there are 2 people on the phone, and one of the girls says 'is that all coming from one person?' or something like that. I think this is often an overlooked part of the movie. The original Scream, is an OK, movie, all the sequels where bad, except Scream 4 that I think also was OK.

Was never to much into A Nightmare on Elmstreet, but the 2 first ones are enjoyable.

I agree with you on Last House on the Left, the story is good the movie is not, never got why this movie got so much praise and is considered a 'cult-classic'. I actually thought the remake is the only Horror movie remake ever, that out did the original! I must agree he has lost his touch.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:40 pm 

693 wrote:
I get the homage part with Scream, and there are a lot of them in it, but I still think it took a little to much from Black Christmas. Of course there is more to the movie then the phone calls, but you can't deny it's a major part of the movie, and the main reason the movie is so memorable. One thing I've always thought was that there were two killers in Black Christmas, as it sounds like there are 2 people on the phone, and one of the girls says 'is that all coming from one person?' or something like that. I think this is often an overlooked part of the movie. The original Scream, is an OK, movie, all the sequels where bad, except Scream 4 that I think also was OK.

Was never to much into A Nightmare on Elmstreet, but the 2 first ones are enjoyable.

I agree with you on Last House on the Left, the story is good the movie is not, never got why this movie got so much praise and is considered a 'cult-classic'. I actually thought the remake is the only Horror movie remake ever, that out did the original! I must agree he has lost his touch.

I always just assumed that there was one killer in the original Black Christmas (there were 2 in the remake, but that movie is best forgotten...let us never speak of it again). The phone calls did sound like 2 people, but I always assumed that it was one killer doing voices.

I totally forgot there was a Scream 4! I never saw it.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:43 pm 

693 wrote:

Have you seen New Nightmare? I watched for the first time in years on Halloween and it blew my mind. It's more or less a Scream prototype without the parody feel.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:27 pm 

TadGhostal wrote:
I always just assumed that there was one killer in the original Black Christmas (there were 2 in the remake, but that movie is best forgotten...let us never speak of it again). The phone calls did sound like 2 people, but I always assumed that it was one killer doing voices.

I totally forgot there was a Scream 4! I never saw it.

Well, I always thought there were two, but at the same time, weren't sure, it kinda added to the mystique of the movie, without feeling like there were loose ends. Man, I want to watch that movie again now. Know of anything that has the kind of same feel to it!?

Well, me and a friend watched Scream 4 while we were drinking, but I'm pretty sure it's an OK movie, or at least it I know it was entertaining!

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Have you seen New Nightmare? I watched for the first time in years on Halloween and it blew my mind. It's more or less a Scream prototype without the parody feel.

I think I've seen everything in the series of all the old horror movies series. But I can't seem to remember what it is about. Do you recommend that I watch it!?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:48 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I didn't like From Beyond nearly as much as The Beyond. I realized my mistake after I read your post again.

Yeah From Beyond is a bit strange. Great classic story, but I was pretty underwhelmed when I saw it. Ken Foree's death scene is grotesque and spectacular though.

Last.fm

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:16 pm 

693 wrote:
Twisted_Psychology wrote:

I think I've seen everything in the series of all the old horror movies series. But I can't seem to remember what it is about. Do you recommend that I watch it!?

Most definitely. While there are a few inside jokes relating to the original, all of the excessive comedy that was a part of 3-6 is pretty much gone. It's pretty twisted and works really well.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:10 am 

Diamhea wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Yeah From Beyond is a bit strange. Great classic story, but I was pretty underwhelmed when I saw it. Ken Foree's death scene is grotesque and spectacular though.

It was still a cool flick. I just feel like horror-comedies are hard to get right. Some of em like Re-Animator and Dead Alive really hit the spot, but others like From Beyond and Return of the Living Dead feel a little...neutered I guess. Like the horror and comedy don't really work as well as they could.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next