Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Poe Ohlin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:17 pm 

If nobody has ever played Carcassonne, it's a pretty cool game. It's kind of a RPG with Sim City elements. The basic premise is that each player takes turns laying down pieces for roads, cities, farms, nunneries, and rivers. You also can claim this territory with your men, and can also lay down pigs, knights, and thieves. However outside of the main game, it is difficult to get the other add on sets. So if your interested, you'll have to use puzzle or game stores along with the internet.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:16 pm 

I got the Awful Green Things from Outer Space for the kids for christmas. It was fun to play something after 16 years again. A fun game, suits a beer evening pretty well.

Poe Ohlin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:24 pm 

Napero wrote:
I got the Awful Green Things from Outer Space for the kids for christmas. It was fun to play something after 16 years again. A fun game, suits a beer evening pretty well.

How do you play as the title just sounds cool alone.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:38 pm 

Poe Ohlin wrote:
Napero wrote:

How do you play as the title just sounds cool alone.

http://www.sjgames.com/awfulgreen/

icecoldsoul
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:00 pm 

risk and monpoly are very fun games,

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:14 pm 

Tried Pandemic yesterday. It's a very cool and fast boardgame. The goal is to fight 4 diseases taking place around the world. All the players are working together (there's 5 different roles but the game is 4 players maximum). It's very fun but not easy, you can lose the game in 10 minutes if you're not lucky, you can win it in like 45 minutes. You have to find the 4 cures of the diseases before there's a mass contagion, it's cool to cooperate with your friends (no friendships gonna get destroyed).
I'll say it's a cool first or second game of the night before playing a long one like Mansions of Madness (we tried it yesterday as well). It's a very cool game along the lines of Arkham Horror, well it's the same Lovecraftian universe, but there's a more dungeon like feeling involved. Both are Highly recommended.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

americanholocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:18 pm 

icecoldsoul wrote:
risk and monpoly are very fun games,

REALLY??? :thumbsup:

My Ebay Store

The Orange Man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:04 am 

I love board games, but haven't had a slew of time to play them in recent years. For Christmas I got my oldest boy Axis & Allies which was my favorite board game growing up. Probably set that up on Friday so we can spend next Saturday raising unholy global hell.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:34 am 

Poe Ohlin wrote:
If nobody has ever played Carcassonne, it's a pretty cool game. It's kind of a RPG with Sim City elements.

o_O I don't even...

Carcassonne certainly is great and highly recommended, but it has absolutely nothing to do with RPGs, and a Sim City comparison is also kind of a stretch.

Die_Fledermaus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:28 pm 

Anyone ever play Dungeon? Sort of a kiddie D&D boardgame where your character entered into rooms of various levels holding a monster and a treasure. I played that freakin game every day when I was 8 or 9. It was sadly destroyed in my parents damp Midwestern basement, but I think about it quite a bit. Once saw it on ebay, but didn't bother because of the price.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:15 pm 

I recently bought Articulate. Nice fast pace party game, had lots of fun drinking with my mates playing it.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:51 am 

Arkham Horror arrived today. Can't wait to try it out.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:59 am 

Forgot to mention: Munchkin is a pretty amusing and suitably quick card game for all the RPG geeks.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:54 am 

Nahsil wrote:

Hah, I got Arkham Horror for Christmas. Now I just need to rope people aside from the one who got it for me into playing .

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:42 am 

I want to get Mansions of Madness or Arkham Horror too but first I need to find some interested players before putting out like 60-80 euros!

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:37 pm 

Napero wrote:
Forgot to mention: Munchkin is a pretty amusing and suitably quick card game for all the RPG geeks.

There used to be a group of people at the games store in Olathe who had every expansion for that game shuffled into 1 deck, and it was bitchin! That was in like 200-3, I wanna say. So I don't know how many expansions have come out since then but that game is great because like Dominion all the expansions fit together quite well. I've only played it a few times but I'd gladly sit down to play if I saw those people again, no fuckin way I'm buying that many sets of cards though. Again, like Dominion.

Edit: I believe I was thinking of Chez Geek, actually.

New account, be my friend on the internet! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520745780

Last edited by KC_Slaanesh on Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:46 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Nahsil wrote:

Hah, I got Arkham Horror for Christmas. Now I just need to rope people aside from the one who got it for me into playing .

You know we're always there for you.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:43 pm 

Risk, particularly with alcohol is awesome. We usually play that when you lose a country, you have to drink. When you take a country, you can chose someone around the board to drink. Haha.

I used to play MTG a lot when I was younger and still have a pretty potent, and totally illegal counter/control deck.

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:44 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Nahsil wrote:

When I walk to your house one day, we can play. Then you can drive me home after.

T51b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:07 am 

Axis and Allies is a blast if you have a quality group. In Highschool I had the same group of friends who would get together every week and play. We took it rather seriously, each nation had a corner and we draped the respected flag of each country from the celing in their corner. Had an entire set of house rules as well that was so convoluted that I am not sure I could ever explain them to someone new who did not develop them to play with them.

Still, a great game at its core with many possibilities.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:31 pm 

Played my second game of Arkham last night. 5 people, 5 hours, ended up getting devoured by Yig. We at least managed to take 4 or 5 of his doom tokens though!

Getting the hang of it. Really complex and really fun. First game was foolish, 8 people. Bad idea.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:39 pm 

Yeah, Yig's main threat is that he awakens extra quickly.

I played last weekend with the Dunwich Horror expansion, we beat the crap out of Abhoth. He never even came close to awakening, we nearly won from closing all the gates and sealing the required number of gates at the same time. There was a fair amount of luck involved, but still! VICTORY! It seems like the game is very much about momentum, I played with the same group a month or so ago and we got decimated by Shub-Niggurath, largely because we weren't able to keep up with the gates and then monster surges started happening and it got really ugly, while this time we kept up with it and it was a cakewalk by comparison.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:06 pm 

It's horrible when you open two gates at the same place and the whole board gets flooded. Especially the damn occultists when dealing with Yig, that's what fucked us, they're hard to evade but if you kill em it's an automatic doom token. Oh and with Yig, the auto-curse is fucking lame, gotta roll sixes? The fuck!

My friend told me to try Azathoth next time.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:22 pm 

Wait, how did you open two gates at the same time? And yeah, curses suck donkey balls. Azathoth is basically easymode (at least in the vanilla game) so yeah, if you're having trouble getting the hang of it, try him. He basically does nothing until he awakens, at which point you automatically lose, but since you're nearly guaranteed to lose no matter which Great Old One awakens it's pretty much a moot power. In the meantime, he doesn't really fuck with your attempts to close/seal gates.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:28 pm 

I'm hardly an expert on the rules right now, but we read (or thought we read) that if two gates open at the same location, because of drawing two mythos cards with the same gate opening location, something like the number of players = the number of monsters you have to draw and distribute over the board (fuzzy on the details there).

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:34 pm 

Oh yeah, if you have a gate open at a location and a mythos card tells you to open another one there, no gate opens but a "monster surge" occurs instead. Those will definitely fuck you over.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:18 pm 

oh okay, we've been opening a second gate at the location. Oops.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:45 pm 

Yeah, you can never have two gates in the same location. If you have any questions about the rules, let me know. I'm fairly well-versed about the details of the game.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:43 am 

We had a question but I can't recall it now. I'll be sure to post in here regarding future inquiries.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:29 am 

HellBlazer doesn't have a lot going on right now.

Iggnsthe
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:27 pm 

Just recently played Arkham Horror with the #metal gang as well. Like failsafeman said, it was fairly easy, which I suppose was okay for my first time playing it. I'm really interested in seeing the other Old Ones and such during the the next time(s) that we play it.

The only other board game that I've played recently was Last Night on Earth, which is basically a zombie movie as a board game. It was pretty entertaining, and the humans (that is, our team) managed to win a pretty close game; I'd definitely recommend at least trying it.

On another note, one of my friends has been seeking out this game called Founding Fathers, basically just because it appears to be a board game about the founding fathers. If anyone has actually played this, I'd be happy to know whether it's actually be worth his money to get it.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:31 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
HellBlazer doesn't have a lot going on right now.

:lol: this really made me chuckle.

Arkham Horror is one of those games that just gets better the less everyone has to look at the rules. Once you really sink into it, it's so rewarding and fun.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:20 pm 

I haven't played a physical board game in ages. Board Game Online, however, is my new addiction.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Myrtroen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:03 pm 

Axis and Allies in all of its forms, but the classic is the best to I can be Germany and Japan and create a New World Order.
The old 70's bookshelf games like "Luftwaffe" are pretty cool as well. That's right, I said cool.
Those HP Lovecraft inspired games sound pretty good too.

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:09 pm 

So I caved and bought "Mansions of Madness", it looks fucking AMAZING. I can't wait to get some people together and play (shouldn't be that hard anymore luckily!)

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:38 pm 

Iggnsthe wrote:
On another note, one of my friends has been seeking out this game called Founding Fathers, basically just because it appears to be a board game about the founding fathers. If anyone has actually played this, I'd be happy to know whether it's actually be worth his money to get it.

"Hmm, I'm torn, should I use my Displace the Native Populations card or my Father Illicit Child with House Servant card at this juncture? The fate of a nation hangs in the balance!"

MaggotofDeath666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:16 pm 

God, I I

MaggotofDeath666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:25 pm 

Sorry, accidentally pushed submit. The board games I liked were monopoly, risk, and axis and allies. Did play a bit of D&D, and The game got so complex by house rules that we literally had a notebook filled with nothing but rules.

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:18 am 

Well we were bored Saturday night so me and a friend went in on Space Munchkin and the Clown Wars expansion, so it begins... It's a great quick game though and I'm sure it will end up being worth the 40 bucks or whatever it was.

New account, be my friend on the internet! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520745780

bj_waters
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:12 pm 

Talking about board games, the first one that pops in my head is Domaine. It's an interesting game because it's about territory control and keeping track of a dozens things at once. Quite a lot of fun.

I also happen to be in an L5R campaign at the moment. I'm not really an expert on Table Top RPGs, but it's definitely different. I think we get into maybe one battle per session. Maybe. And yet it works. It's kind of the anti-thesis of hack-and-slash gameplay where we're rolling dice to investigate clues and people and such. Of course, it has a lot to do with our GM.

And since we seem to be talking also about CCGs, did anybody here play Magi-Nation?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 30  Next