Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kohnsu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:34 pm 

Negative. Honestly I haven't met any actual metalheads IRL before, just you're typical nu/hardcore kids.

Positive there are some people in St. Paul, MN that live near me though.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:09 pm 

immortalshadow666 wrote:
I met Alhadis once at a show (Decapitated, Origin, Misery Index). I didn't even know he was a M-A user, but I quoted something he said in my sig and found me that way. I haven't seen him since though... probably because he moved to the Netherlands :P

Nah not yet, mate. ;) Still here in good ol' Oz. Glad that you remember me at least. :D

RapeTheDead
Stoned Jesus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:55 am 

Just had my first experience with meeting an M-A member this past weekend- got on a bus to Toronto to hang with Det_Morkettall and watched his band play a show. Really chill, outgoing dude who is so similar to me personality-wise it freaked me out. Sucks that we got ripped off by a bum dealer though.

Not only that, but at the show, Abominatrix just happened to be there! Got introduced to him and we had a nice little chat about Esoteric and other nice things. So far I've got no complaints with meeting MAers, they seem like nice people in person. Maybe it's cause all the weirdos stay at home and don't go to shows.

SKYLESS AEONS
SENTIMENT DISSOLVE
HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:13 am 

RapeTheDead wrote:
Just had my first experience with meeting an M-A member this past weekend- got on a bus to Toronto to hang with Det_Morkettall and watched his band play a show. Really chill, outgoing dude who is so similar to me personality-wise it freaked me out. Sucks that we got ripped off by a bum dealer though.

Not only that, but at the show, Abominatrix just happened to be there! Got introduced to him and we had a nice little chat about Esoteric and other nice things. So far I've got no complaints with meeting MAers, they seem like nice people in person. Maybe it's cause all the weirdos stay at home and don't go to shows.

What, how did you get ripped off? You should have talked to me first. :P

And I was going to ask you about hidden 90s black metal things but Viral interrupted. hahah
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

RapeTheDead
Stoned Jesus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:30 am 

Eh, long story short the guy pulled a bait-and-switch on us and ended up giving us a little thing of what turned out to be wrapped up newspapers. Felt like an idiot, and even worse, missed most of Necrodios's set cause of it. Next time I'm down in Toronto I'll go to you first :-P

Oh and it's probably a good thing you didn't get me started on the unknown black metal stuff, I most likely would have just started gushing about Obtained Enslavement for hours on end.

SKYLESS AEONS
SENTIMENT DISSOLVE
HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:33 am 

Would be cool to have a Montréal hangout someday! I fucking want to see Demontage live.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

RapeTheDead
Stoned Jesus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:53 am 

It would indeed be awesome. I bought The Principal Extinction at the aforementioned show and I haven't been able to stop listening to it since. Probably the most fuckin' metal thing I've heard in ages. It's like a magic bag of riffs- you never know what they're going to pull out on you next but it's always friggin awesome.

Oh, and since the legal drinking age in Quebec is 18 and my girlfriend coincidentally just turned that age, let's just say there's a very high chance I could end up seeing you this summer.

SKYLESS AEONS
SENTIMENT DISSOLVE
HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:57 am 

Sweet!! Maybe you could meet the higher divinities of MA, I'll send a request to the parthenon... :)

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:28 am 

RapeTheDead wrote:
Eh, long story short the guy pulled a bait-and-switch on us and ended up giving us a little thing of what turned out to be wrapped up newspapers. Felt like an idiot, and even worse, missed most of Necrodios's set cause of it. Next time I'm down in Toronto I'll go to you first :-P

Shame, they were fantastic. I take it you liked Into Oblivion? As for the other thing..just let me know when you're coming first and all should be well! I wouldn't buy off the street in that area, not for anything...

Quote:

Oh and it's probably a good thing you didn't get me started on the unknown black metal stuff, I most likely would have just started gushing about Obtained Enslavement for hours on end.

Don't know how hidden they are; there were some real raves about Witchcraft when it came out. The specific album I thought of when we were talking was actually Trelldom's Til et Anaet, or however that's spelled. But there's lots more...Tulus!

Cheers, both of you. :beer: The plan is to hit up Montreal this summer, probably opening for Metalian!
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

PhantomGreen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:51 pm 

San Antonio Tx anyone?

mea navis aëricumbens anguillis abundat

bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:25 pm 

Anyone in northeast Ohio/Cleveland should get a hold of me so we can arrange a jam session. I need a place to growl freely and piss off neighbors that aren't mine.

Dave_o_rama
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:28 pm 

fetalfeast wrote:
So any of you all in the Delaware Valley/South Jersey?

South Jersey here. It's so metal-free here that it's sad.

As for meeting somoene from MA, I can't really say I have. Unless running into slavonic777 in a gaming chat room I frequent counts.

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:36 pm 

I know a few of the posters here are from Michigan, but none in my area. Nertz.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:58 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:

Cheers, both of you. :beer: The plan is to hit up Montreal this summer, probably opening for Metalian!

Fucking nice!!!

PeachPit
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:01 pm 

The_Apex_of_Collapse wrote:
Yet to meet any in person but I am not so far from many of the forum goers in the Toronto, Montreal areas (I am right in-between the two.)

Dude, where do you live? I hit up a lot of gigs in Ottawa and Toronto.

I live in downtown Ottawa, and spend my summers back home in Oshawa for the most part.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:15 pm 

Would be cool to do a East coast MA meeting some day, My dad's house is in a nice countryside area (halfway Montréal and Ottawa)

TheOldOne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:06 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Would be cool to do a East coast MA meeting some day, My dad's house is in a nice countryside area (halfway Montréal and Ottawa)

When people say East coast I instantly think of Nova Scotia, guess it's cause I used to live there.

last.fm

Suffersystem
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:26 am 

sadly, i have yet to meet anybody from MA :ugh:
i think it'd be cool to tho, since you guys seem pretty chill
..who knows i might see some of you guys at the deicide/jungle rot show in SF and not even know it haha
Also, that vocal recording pic confirmed what I suspected: SLK records shirtless in a sweaty caveman-like delirium. You can almost hear the man stink in the recordings.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:33 am 

TheOldOne wrote:
Metantoine wrote:

When people say East coast I instantly think of Nova Scotia, guess it's cause I used to live there.

It's somewhat part of the east coast, but it's more the Maritimes for me.

DanFuckingLucas
Witchsmeller Pursuivant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:06 pm 

Yeah, caspian was touring the UK and had a free day, so he came up here and we went to the pub. Somebody put Einstein A-Go-Go on the jukebox. One of the worst songs ever. I also hang with FATBOY every now and then, great guy.

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:44 am 

MoonPenatrator wrote:
It would be cool to meet someone from Glendale/La Crescenta/Burbank/Pasadena, you know, that general area. So far, no :(

I live a ways north of LA in the Santa Barbara area, but I frequent that area to go to shows. As long as the tickets don't sell out before I get my paycheck I will probably be attending the Watain/Devil's Blood/In Solitude/Behemoth show. I have seen plenty of other LA frequents here. We should grab a few beers or whatever before.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 am 

Dooders wrote:
MoonPenatrator wrote:
It would be cool to meet someone from Glendale/La Crescenta/Burbank/Pasadena, you know, that general area. So far, no :(

I live a ways north of LA in the Santa Barbara area, but I frequent that area to go to shows. As long as the tickets don't sell out before I get my paycheck I will probably be attending the Watain/Devil's Blood/In Solitude/Behemoth show. I have seen plenty of other LA frequents here. We should grab a few beers or whatever before.

I live in Ridgecrest, but that's further East pressing into Death Valley territory. Were either of you at Power of the Riff last summer?

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:22 am 

It would definitely be cool to have an epic Montreal meet up. Plus,there's constantly great metal shows being booked.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Eh_Timeghoul
Be gentle, I was... Born This Way

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:09 am 

CorpseFister wrote:
Burnyoursins wrote:
Unfortunately, I think there's one other dude on this forum who's from Alberta, and he doesn't live anywhere near Edmonton, as I recall.

There's a few Edmonton people floating around here I think. Are you gonna go to the Dark Funeral & Inquisition show next month?

beyond BC/vancouverites, i think Alberta and Ontario are tied for the Canadians here

there's a couple smelly frenchmen around too

i think one of the mods is a Calgarian, ionno, either way i don't think i've ever met the guy

~Guest 285672
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:11 am 

No, but I've seen Metantoine shirtless.

Animicantus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:27 pm 

We need to have a Delco/philly/south jersey hangout someday. There's like...3 people here (that post regularly) from that area :D

defyexistance wrote:
It also sounds like he says "The raven licks my asshole" as the first vocal line there. It never fails to crack me up.

pbsisbad
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:23 pm 

Animicantus wrote:
We need to have a Delco/philly/south jersey hangout someday. There's like...3 people here (that post regularly) from that area :D

You guys got Starland Ballroom. They have a few decent acts here and there.
Me? I'm in Bergen County. Yeah, there are venues...in NYC. I can't drive, and when I can, not out of state for a few years.
Even there, most of the shows are scene shit. I met a metalhead briefly, and everyone else is a scene kid or preppy.
So you go to a show, and you can't mosh... who cares. Are you there to run into people or to listen to the music? If you want to run into people go to the mall and run through groups of mall goths or something for fun.

TIMJ Profile

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:49 pm 

DanFuckingLucas wrote:
Yeah, caspian was touring the UK and had a free day, so he came up here and we went to the pub. Somebody put Einstein A-Go-Go on the jukebox. One of the worst songs ever. I also hang with FATBOY every now and then, great guy.

Yeah. Caspian dropped into my city on a recent cross country trip he made. Got drunk, talked shit, cranked metal. Great night.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Animicantus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:01 pm 

pbsisbad wrote:
Animicantus wrote:

You guys got Starland Ballroom. They have a few decent acts here and there.
Me? I'm in Bergen County. Yeah, there are venues...in NYC. I can't drive, and when I can, not out of state for a few years.
Even there, most of the shows are scene shit. I met a metalhead briefly, and everyone else is a scene kid or preppy.

That's like an hour from me haha. Trocadero is the place for metal around here, although TLA is my personal favorite venue in Philly.

defyexistance wrote:
It also sounds like he says "The raven licks my asshole" as the first vocal line there. It never fails to crack me up.

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:28 pm 

iAm wrote:
MoonPenatrator wrote:

I live in Ridgecrest, but that's further East pressing into Death Valley territory. Were either of you at Power of the Riff last summer?

Unfortunately, I missed that glorious lineup on a count of it was my birthday and didn't quit make the crawl there. Hopefully Eyehategod and Pentagram venture through the west coast in the near future. Are you considering going to that Decibel show? The Los Angeles House of Blues is my favorite HOB venue because surprisingly, they are really relaxed there and half a good stage/floor setup.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:12 pm 

Dooders wrote:
Unfortunately, I missed that glorious lineup on a count of it was my birthday and didn't quit make the crawl there. Hopefully Eyehategod and Pentagram venture through the west coast in the near future. Are you considering going to that Decibel show? The Los Angeles House of Blues is my favorite HOB venue because surprisingly, they are really relaxed there and half a good stage/floor setup.

Probably not. Next shows I'll be at in Los Angeles will be Despise You/ ACxDC on April 6th, and Midnight/ Antisect on May 25th. I have to drive three hours to make it into the city, so I don't make it down there as often as I would like.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:14 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
I also know MikeyC, Oliothesmall and have drunk loads of beer hung out with them, as well as The_Beast_In_Black and ImmortalShadows666. All of which are really legit guys, and know where I live :oh shit:

This guy is way more legit than I'll ever be. One of the best blokes ever.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:56 pm 

I have. The list of MAers I've met largely coincides with my list of mortal enemies. Funny coincidence...

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:18 pm 

That's because 99% of people are your mortal enemies John :p

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:01 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
TheOldOne wrote:

It's somewhat part of the east coast, but it's more the Maritimes for me.

The day this site ever manages to gain a respectable Maritimer community I will be long dead from another unfortunate dog attack in the middle of the woods.

@TheOldOne What part of Scotia did you live in?

Markov wrote:
No, but I've seen Metantoine shirtless.

It is an honour is it not, Markov? :P
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:48 pm 

Will anyone in Los Angeles be attending Despise You and ACxDC on April 6th? I wouldn't mind meeting up prior to the show.

Unifying_Disorder
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:03 pm 

I've never come across anyone from here. It seems like a lot of the Canadian members seem to know each other though.

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:48 pm 

I met BastardHead at a show a few weeks ago. Cool dude, but we didn't drink, sadly. Drinking and driving is bad!

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

TheOldOne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:00 am 

IX Leviathan wrote:

LaHave area, just a mile or two away from Crescent Beach (I think.), if you know where that is.

last.fm

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:40 am 

TheOldOne wrote:
IX Leviathan wrote:

LaHave area, just a mile or two away from Crescent Beach (I think.), if you know where that is.

Oh yeah. Just a little bit passed Lunenburg, nice. Quite the scenic area down there. I'm from the Cole Harbour/Cow Bay area myself. Constant shitty weather, but a nice scenery on the coastline.
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next