Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Grapist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:55 am 

Although I've been able to see a lot of concerts, I still feel overwhelmed by all the good concerts I have to miss. I don't really allow myself other expenses, and plan months ahead. So, is there a concert that pains you to have missed? I myself have managed to miss Ministry, Overkill, Vader, Triptykon, the Melvins, Devourment, Gwar, Ghoul, D.R.I., Napalm Death, Swans, Primus, Obituary, Blue Oyster Cult, Fleet Foxes, Shpongle and others that I'm constantly reminded of thanks to my friends (there're certain drawbacks to befriending promoters from the other side of the globe.

What say you? What concert practically killed you to not see, if any?

EDIT: By allow myself other expenses, I meant besides bills, of course.

~Guest 22710
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:15 am 

I've missed loads of great bands that played my city that I now regret not going to for one reason or another. Amon Amarth,Necrophagist,Celtic Frost,Kreator,Decapitated (Original line up), Rotting Christ...

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:50 am 

I tend to have terrible timing when developing an interest in an unfamiliar band; there've been so many times where I get really into a band only to find out that they'd toured a few months before and would probably take years to come around again (since I'm at the back-end of the world right now). Happened most recently with an Origin/Decapitated tour, Nile, Portal, Absu and Morbid Angel. Non-metal wise, I've missed QOTSA, Jane's Addiction, Rammstein and The Sisters of Mercy, mainly because none of my friends were willing to go to a non-metal gig. On the bright side, I finally saw Meshuggah about a month ago, after missing them three times beforehand; each time I had tickets, each time something happened to stop me from going. Here's hoping I get to see the others I want to see one day.

Pottseh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:22 am 

I missed Celtic Frost right before they disbanded. :|

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:39 am 

Three painful ones: the second to the last Demilich gig, the reunion tour of Charged in Helsinki (my back was so painfully sore that I spent the evening in foetal position), and the last gig of Dio in Finland.

And that's pretty much it. There are others, particularly those that have taken place in Jalometalli 800 km away, that I'll need to see later, but I'm confident I'll get another chance: Agent Steel, Atheist, Artillery... ummm... this could be a long list. In any case, just the three above really hurt, because there will probably never be another chance to see them live.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:43 am 

Quote:
I missed Celtic Frost right before they disbanded.

I've got a friend who did that.

I "missed" Altar of Plagues; I turned up earlier than the venue opened, and because I was hanging around in the bar, they asked for ID. At the time I was underage. Ironically, if I'd turned up late, I would probably have gotten in no problem. I really hope they come round again.

Wodensthrone were going to open for them too, but "fortunately" cancelled beforehand, so atleast when I couldn't get in, my life wasn't over.

MattDoom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:13 am 

I've missed so many due to unfortunately being born in 1991 and not 1968. Or 1950. And being born in Australia.

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:19 am 

Well, of recent which I wanted to go were Astral Doors, Tank w/ Mech but I didn't really have money and they're likely to play here again.

I think the biggest regret is Therion's 2007 show in Warsaw which was later on live DVD. That was Therion's best lineup, setlist and performance ever.
Slough Feg last holidays, I basically discovered them few days after the show...
Ozzy Osbourne last holiday too, friends were there and had lots of fun.
Venom like 2 years ago, I don't know if that counts cause the show was cancelled.

maggotcrusher666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:38 am 

Pottseh wrote:
I missed Celtic Frost right before they disbanded. :|

This. The other big one was missing the first heathen crusade festival. Also missed Bludwulf a few years ago and they haven't been back since.

_MFMGW_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:48 am 

I've missed tons.
Most painful? Heaven & Hell.

~Guest 285672
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:00 am 

I missed Anal Cunt the night before Seth died. :(

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:12 am 

I've missed Anthrax the past three times they've played in my town the past year. Fourth time's the charm?

tehfoks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:10 am 

I missed Kreator when they played in New York back in '10. Hopefully they will come back after the release of Phantom Antichrist, so no big deal. Also, I skipped Gamma Ray for no reason at all, and weeks later I was like, "why the fuck did I not go?". Other than that, I can say I'm quite satisfied. :) I've seen most of my favorites that have come to town. On the other hand, there are quite a few bands that I'd love to see, but I know i'll never get the chance.

EDIT: SAXON! Last year... Fuck I was pissed I missed that. I heard they put on an awesome show.

Smalley wrote:
If I wanted a better version of something, I certainly wouldn't want it to start smoking crack, it'd get all fucked up and gross.

Last edited by tehfoks on Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:27 am 

Empyrium, Vintersorg in 2001, Arcturus in 2006, Emperor + Borknagar with Vortex 99. Arcturus are reunited and Vortex is back on Borknagar so chances are that I can still make it.

iriki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:43 am 

_MFMGW_ wrote:
I've missed tons.
Most painful? Heaven & Hell.

I second this ):

Garyuu
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:36 am 

I usually don't keep up with concerts, but I'm pissed that I missed Septic Flesh. I know that I missed Skeletonwitch multiple times, and I know that I will have to miss them when they are here next month. That means I will miss Nile too.

Malexecration
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:09 pm 

I've missed a tons of concerts, but the one that really pissed me off was missing Bolt Thrower on Maryland :/

Unblessed Domain
https://www.facebook.com/UnblessedDomain/

Omision
https://www.facebook.com/omision/

The_Minstrel51
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:18 pm 

Hmm... some of the major ones I've missed that come to mind are Heaven & Hell (which I've been kicking myself for ever since Dio passed), Nile + Skeletonwitch (due to lack of funds), Absu (illness), Cryptopsy + Origin (had surgery that day), Kreator, Suffocation, Napalm Death, Toxic Holocaust, and Iskra. The worst one was Impiety once played about an 8 hour drive away, but I couldn't afford bus fare and a hotel at the time. :(

I've seen Skeletonwitch and Suffocation multiple times, but I'm still disappointed I missed those particular shows as they are both always excellent live. I've also seen Kreator, Toxic Holocaust and Origin since the times I missed them.

garthmargengi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:44 pm 

Heaven and Hell, GODFUCKINGDAMMIT

Inkshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:41 pm 

I miss more concerts than I see.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:34 pm 

Heaven & Hell :durr:. Also pre-Illud Morbid Angel.

csehszlovakze
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:40 pm 

Saxon, Marduk (twice), Sear Bliss and many others.

Links to my online presence

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:04 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:

Aww, man... I feel your pain. H&H was absolutely crushing at Sauna Open Air, and the difference between pre and post-Illud Tuska gigs is something I'll never learn to understand. It was a completely different band, IMO.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:19 pm 

Napero wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:

Aww, man... I feel your pain. H&H was absolutely crushing at Sauna Open Air, and the difference between pre and post-Illud Tuska gigs is something I'll never learn to understand. It was a completely different band, IMO.

I don't know how much the band has changed - it probably has some - but my attitude towards MA has. It was the great unfaltering Morbid Angel, detached from time and space, descended on earth from the realm of Gods to spread the word of metal to the mortal kind. With Illud, some degree of apprehension has seeped into the way I regard the band.

With Heaven & Hell, I initially though I'd have plenty of time to see the band later. I guess I somehow thought everything always lasted forever.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:19 pm 

I missed Behemoth in their heydey a few years ago. I regret that the most.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

RottingWays
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:33 pm 

I missed Mayhem not too long ago. I was pretty pissed, the last time they came to Atlanta it got canceled.

StellarGraves
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:51 pm 

Napalm Death at Wacken 09'.. crap!

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:52 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
I don't know how much the band has changed - it probably has some - but my attitude towards MA has. It was the great unfaltering Morbid Angel, detached from time and space, descended on earth from the realm of Gods to spread the word of metal to the mortal kind. With Illud, some degree of apprehension has seeped into the way I regard the band.

I've seen Morbid Angel with both Tucker and Vincent. Last year I saw them with Vincent again and let me tell you that the band it's fucking flawless. Vincent sounds MUCH better live than his dry performance on Illud, Trey played the solos well, Thor too - although his stage presence it's not as good as Rutan's - and Tim did a fine job replacing Pete - he plays the songs just like him.

MA also plays a lot from Altars and Covenant - then Blessed and Domination, doing just a couple of the death metal tracks off Illud. I strongly recommend you to attend a gig.

sabbathfan4993
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:33 pm 

I missed the last time Triptykon came around to Chicago because it was an 18+ concert and I was 17 at the time. I finally got around to seeing them at Hellfest last year and I'm not sure if I've ever seen a better live band. Definitely don't want to miss any opportunity to see them and they are taking their sweet time to come back to the states. On the Morbid Angel topic, they are still killer live. Just because a band starts to release shit doesn't mean they put on a shit live show. Hell, I don't care about anything Sepultura has put out in the past two decades but they still put on a good show.

Metalfuckingrules
The Ralph Wiggum Monologue

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:41 pm 

I missed out on a massive of concerts, mainly because I don't have money to go to ANY concert :(.

But then again, I haven't been to one in my entire life :cry:.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:58 pm 

My biggest regret is probably Cathedral at MDF last year, possibly their last show in North America. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:00 pm 

The big problem with living here, is how many concerts will "Skip" my city for the dubious honor of playing for all three or four metal heads living in Salt Lake City. To be fair, Salt Lake City is a nice, wholesome, family friendly place- perfect for raising a large family and going to church, but it is about as culturally invigorating as army boot camp in North Dakota. You can't even buy beer at gigs there! (in fact, you can't buy beer at most places there.) So, I continually get frustrated by looking at a touring band's schedule and seeing the expected dates in places like Reno, Vegas, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle...then straight on through without stopping to Salt Lake City (Aaarrrrgh!) I guess I could make it an overnighter and drive the 7 hours to Portland, but that pretty much kills a whole weekend and it adds up because you gotta pay for a hotel.

So, I've missed a lot of shows because the bands will pass through town without stopping to play a gig. (and keep in mind, there are about half a million people in the greater Boise area, including a large number of disgruntled music fans.)

HumanVulture
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:12 pm 

A few years ago, Sodom were supposed to play in the Minneapolis area. So, being a huge fan I bought a ticket to the show. Of course, Sodom wound up canceling. I was so disappointed and remember thinking "Who the fuck is this band that's going to replace them? - Hirax, never heard of them"

So I didn't bother showing up. Of course, every one who did go, and every single writeup stressed how awesome Hirax was.

Even now, I get this feeling when I think about it. :ah-ha:

Liquid_Braino
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:33 pm 

Didn't miss the whole concert itself, but when I went to the original Clash Of The Titans tour in 1991 I blew off opening act Alice In Chains to drink more beer in the parking lot because I wasn't familiar with them other than "Man in the Box" and thought they'd be just some quick flash in the pan. Oops.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:37 pm 

Liquid_Braino wrote:
Didn't miss the whole concert itself, but when I went to the original Clash Of The Titans tour in 1991 I blew off opening act Alice In Chains to drink more beer in the parking lot because I wasn't familiar with them other than "Man in the Box" and thought they'd be just some quick flash in the pan. Oops.

Holy hell you fucked up. :lol:
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:13 pm 

Most recently I missed Hate Eternal when they toured with Nile, I really regret not going to this as I'll doubt they'll be touring Melbourne any time soon. I just couldn't stand Hate Eternal not being the headline act, I thought it was ridiculous. Now I'll take what ever I can get and see the bands I like no matter what.
I missed Carcass in 2008, I only found out about this recently. I wasn't really that into them at the time but for the price is was, $55, I would have gladly bought a ticket. I just had no idea they were touring that year, my head was obviously somewhere else or no one told me.
A few years earlier I missed Strapping Young Lad when the came to Melbourne in 2003. It was the last time they would ever be here. This, unlike the others, absolutely guts me to the point of tears as I know I'll never get to see them live. But at the time I was under 18 so I probably wouldn't have been able to get in even if I knew about it.
The first concert I missed out on was Fear Factory when they were touring around Digimortal. I have a feeling it wasn't all ages. My friend was nice enough to buy some merch for me though, so it wasn't a total loss. I know it's not a big deal now but they split up around that time and I thought I'd never get to see them.

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:14 pm 

Missed Deicide last night. Knew that they were coming for months, and just forgot about it when the night finally came.

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

EnemyofLight
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:15 pm 

I've missed many bands for one reason or another. Iron Maiden(might see them this year), Judas Priest, Amon Amarth, Nile, Decapitated, and most recently D.R.I., which I'm pretty upset about. There's many more. I've only been to 3 concerts as of right now.

BloodoftheKing
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:52 am 

I missed out on Heaven and Hell on their last tour and contimplated suicide several times since.

Erisgaroth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:21 am 

I missed Morbid Angel, Queensryche, Therion, and my personal favorite, Dio, all of them in my city (though not at the same time) In the case of Morbid Angel and Queensryche i wasn't even aware of them playing in my city. Therion because i was young and don't want to go (the same case with Kansas, i really regret that) and Dio, well, i suffered a great disgrace the same day he was here, sadly, i was at the funeral instead of the concert.
And for Rock Concerts, Air Supply and Kansas. Damn, i really hate myself for being so stupid!

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next