Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:54 am 

As a non-reader, I did find that bit with the red priestess confusing, but in the end I just figured Stannis follows some weird controversial cult that those close to him are weary about, which I guess is all that I'm meant to know at this point.

What a great episode!!! I was definitely hollering at the screen on numerous occasions.

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:27 am 

And so another season of me wanting to see an early teenager die a horrible death starts. Seriously, I've never hated a 13 year old like i have Jothery.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:48 am 

This episode was aweome. Robb was a badass (along with Grey Wind), Tyrion was hilarious and dropped plenty of burns, Davos's actor is perfect, so much nerdgasm.

I'm pretty sure we've just witnessed the only child killing montage to ever air on TV.

Animicantus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:54 am 

The scene with Robb and Jaime Lannister was absolutely badass. The guy who did the animation for Grey Wind did an incredible job. I still can't tell if I'm supposed to like Littlefinger or not. I love his slyness, as I do with Varys, but the way they deceive everyone is just evil. Also, Peter Dinklage shined as usual.

defyexistance wrote:
It also sounds like he says "The raven licks my asshole" as the first vocal line there. It never fails to crack me up.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:08 am 

I just downloaded the new episode. Gonna watch when I get home from class this afternoon.

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:21 am 

I need some explanations,
Spoiler: show
So why does Cersei order the murder of those children? I was confused at that part.

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:25 am 

Because they were Robert's illegitimate children, just like the blacksmith boy who managed to escape.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:04 pm 

Yes, in the book this happened spread over a few years, with Cersei being her petty vindictive self, but this would have been hard to show on the screen, so instead they went with the fact that Joffrey's taunts about the bastards fuelled her rage. Some have even interpreted the scene as being Joffrey's orders rather than Cersei's, but I'm not really convinced, Joff doesn't really give a shit about them. At least I hope they don't whitewash Cersei's crimes and make Joff even more into the monster he is...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:49 pm 

Joffrey is a monster! In that scene where he got slapped and the workers were looking, I had a feeling those workers would soon be replaced with another set.

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:50 pm 

I found the episode a bit sluggish, until the infanticide mania kicked in at the end. Good casting for Davos, not too sure about Craster though, expected him to be a lot bigger and more scar-ridden/rough-looking, in fact I found him too well-groomed and clean for my liking. Not a big deal though, more bummed about having to wait a week for the next episode. A friend of mine is going to wait for the season to finish (like he did with the first season), then watch them all. How he holds out for so long is beyond me, guess he has a life or something.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:51 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Yes, in the book this happened spread over a few years, with Cersei being her petty vindictive self, but this would have been hard to show on the screen, so instead they went with the fact that Joffrey's taunts about the bastards fuelled her rage. Some have even interpreted the scene as being Joffrey's orders rather than Cersei's, but I'm not really convinced, Joff doesn't really give a shit about them. At least I hope they don't whitewash Cersei's crimes and make Joff even more into the monster he is...

Nah, that'd be pretty out of character for Joffrey, I reckon. He seems like a pretty profound dumbass.

Messiah_X
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:46 am 

Great episode in my opinion. As an avid reader of the books I was pleased to see some of the "behind the scenes" action not covered in the POVs of the book. My main complaint is that they cut the entire country of Riverrun as far as I can tell. This works to some extent for now, considering the show will focus more on Robb's war than the book did, but if they do manage to film the entire series of books, this will present some serious issues down the line. As long as they don't cut "Reek" I'm good (don't see how they can, but they haven't made any casting announcement so far).

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:08 pm 

Messiah_X wrote:
As long as they don't cut "Reek" I'm good (don't see how they can, but they haven't made any casting announcement so far).

Wouldn't they just use the same actor as Theon? Also that's a ways down the line, hopefully the show makes it that long.

New account, be my friend on the internet! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520745780

Messiah_X
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:40 pm 

KC_Slaanesh wrote:
Messiah_X wrote:
As long as they don't cut "Reek" I'm good (don't see how they can, but they haven't made any casting announcement so far).

Wouldn't they just use the same actor as Theon? Also that's a ways down the line, hopefully the show makes it that long.

I'm referring to the first "Reek" which was actually Ramsay Bolton in disguise. When he turned on Theon and captured him, he made Theon become "Reek." It was probably the biggest plot twist in Clash Of Kings, so I wouldn't be surprised if they left the casting out of any news to avoid major spoilers, but I would hate for them to simply fuse Ramsay with another character for budget reasons, he makes way too good of a sociopathic villain.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:44 pm 

Sorry Messiah_X,
Reek is out. He'll probably be cast later, because he's essential, but I don't know how they'll handle the sack of Winterfell without him... then again they cut the Reeds siblings too. :nono: Hopefully to be cast later, otherwise it's just fucked up...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:01 pm 

Oh I suppose the newest book must have been freshest in my mind, sorry for the dumb answer.

If the series continues for another 2 seasons they would HAVE to have the Boltons in there.

New account, be my friend on the internet! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520745780

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:18 pm 

Roose is cast, just not Ramsay... :|

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:57 am 

I've read some of Martin's short fiction before, but never the Fire & Ice series. A friend of mine who works in graphic design/3D blah blah listens to a lot of audiobooks at work, and gave me the Martin collection over a year ago. I hadn't got round to investigating these audio books till the other night. The reader was fucking terrible, honestly. Worse than I'd ever thought you could be at a professional level. I had put off readin' the books because of the backlog of literature i have piling up, so thought i might try my hand at this audio books shit on one of my ipods. Worthless idea. If i had've actually stayed through that fumbling, inept rendition, I'd have lost any passion in Martin's creation. Will have to read after the backlog clears.

ghroth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:44 am 

Episode 2 has leaked online to the various torrent sites. In my opinion, it was much better than the first episode because it didn't feel like we were "catching up" with everyone.

Messiah_X
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:56 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Sorry Messiah_X,
Reek is out. He'll probably be cast later, because he's essential, but I don't know how they'll handle the sack of Winterfell without him... then again they cut the Reeds siblings too. :nono: Hopefully to be cast later, otherwise it's just fucked up...

Just a passing thought, but maybe they won't even get to the sack of Winterfell, Bran and Rickon's departure, etc. this season? Besides Ramsay and the Reeds they seem to have cut Big and Little Walder. Not the most important characters, but the common trend here is that ALL characters relating to the sack of Winterfell, besides those already cast, seem to be out this season. They don't necessarily have to follow the 1 Season = 1 Book formula, since that would definitely lead to casting problems down the line (Especially AFFC/ADWD). One particular casting issue in this case is Theon. If they push some events back til early or mid next season, they could keep him cast and only have to drop his character for one season or so, and they could easily cast the other relevant characters next season

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:02 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Roose is cast, just not Ramsay... :|

Ramsay Snow has definitely replaced Joffrey as my most hated character in this series. I want bad things to happen to him.

The chances of that transpiring are slim.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:54 pm 

DRD, try getting the autiobooks read by Roy Dotrice, I hear they are of very high quality. Not that I'd know since I never ever "read" audiobooks, but everyone's been praising him.

Messiah_X wrote:
*stuff about the end of book 2

It's definitely possible and it's what I'm hoping, but I would have thought that
the sack of Winterfell, with Bran, Rickon, Summer, Osha and Hodor (sans the Reeds... :|) getting out of the crypt to a burned Winterfell and a dying Maester Luwin would be the perfect way to end the season. It IS the very last scene of A Clash of Kings, too.
I know they aren't going strictly by 1 book = 1 season, since it wouldn't be practical anyway, but in this case the end of ACoK seems a perfect way to end season 2. If they don't end it with that, how will they end the season? Ah, guess we'll see...

Dandelo wrote:
*stuff about Ramsay*

I know, right? Same here. He's worse than Joffrey, Gregor, Vargo Hoat and all the other "complete monster" types of characters. I'm not so sure you won't get your wish, though. (ADWD spoilers)
From the looks of it, the Boltons are actually in a bit trouble. Sure, Ramsay sent that taunting letter to Jon, but most of it are probably lies, and the Manderlys are not his friends, and he's kind of stuck at Winterfell with nowhere to go. The more people take notice that "Ned's little girl" was being abused, the more enemies he'll make. And then there's that mysterious cloaked figure that Theon saw in the snow... I have no idea who it could be, but I'm hoping it's someone who'll help with the downfall of the Boltons somehow. :nods:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:23 pm 

ghroth wrote:
Episode 2 has leaked online to the various torrent sites. In my opinion, it was much better than the first episode because it didn't feel like we were "catching up" with everyone.
Watched this last night and gotta say I agree here. The episode felt more organically structured. As often, there was some great Tyrion

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:17 pm 

From Episode 2

Can't wait to see more of this guy.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:37 pm 

Animicantus wrote:
I still can't tell if I'm supposed to like Littlefinger or not.

Exactly as is intended. Littlefinger is meant to be a very ambiguous character.

spoonhead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:47 am 

Razakel wrote:
As a non-reader, I did find that bit with the red priestess confusing, but in the end I just figured Stannis follows some weird controversial cult that those close to him are weary about, which I guess is all that I'm meant to know at this point.

What a great episode!!! I was definitely hollering at the screen on numerous occasions.

In short, and without really spoiling anything, the red priestess has come and converted Stannis and his crew to her faith which is one god instead of the 7 which the southerners typically worship. Davos doesnt agree, and neither does the septon who tried to poison her but failed and died himself. Its actually the first chapter in the book iirc.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:58 am 

spoonhead wrote:
In short, and without really spoiling anything, the red priestess has come and converted Stannis and his crew to her faith which is one god instead of the 7 which the southerners typically worship. Davos doesnt agree, and neither does the septon maester who tried to poison her but failed and died himself. Its actually the first chapter prologue in the book iirc.

Nitpicks fixed. ;)

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

~Guest 228477
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:40 am 

Speaking in general about this show, I must say, while I really like all the settings, acting, the CGI-s and the atmosphere, etc., but as someone who did not read books, I find it somewhat too slow paced. There are just too many threads to follow at the same time, and as a result, there's very little progression made during one episode. I remember how surprised I was back when I just finished the 9th episode from the first season, and a friend told me that episode 10 will be the season finale. I really expected it to be like ~20 episodes. So I can understand why one would want to wait till the season is over and watch it in "one run". :)

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:59 am 

spoonhead wrote:
Under_Starmere wrote:
You guys think if Martin dies before finishing the books they'll just make up an ending to the series or just cancel the series altogether?

If he has enough notes and details available of how he would want the story to go then its possible for someone else to finish the series like what was done with The Wheel of Time.

I remember reading an interview with Martin during the 1st season and this has been discussed. He knows how the story ends and he's shared that with the producers. Should he die before finishing the series, the producers and writers would obviously have to find a way to get to that ending, but the ending has been determined.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:08 am 

My nerdrage thoughts about episode 2.

What I liked:
- Arya and Gendry! <3
- Jaqen, though it was painfully brief. Can't wait to see more of him.
- Yoren being all badass. Loved it, true to the book too.
- Tyrion vs Janos Slynt.
- Random Ironborn giving Theon the cold shoulder + Balon putting Theon back in his place. Take that, Greyjoy. Also, Pyke looked great.
- Sallador Saan was memorable and funny. Good for him.
- Varys and his "I keep on paddling" line. Yay! Glad they kept that.
- GHOOOOOOOOOST! :metal:

What was cool-but-should-have-been-better:
- Theon and Yara Asha. I'm not sold on the actress playing Asha yet (she doesn't look like the bold, cocky, badass woman I read about), and I thought the scene was a lot funnier in the books...
- Tyrion vs Cersei. In the books he confronts her with the incest before the rumours spread. He appears less clever now since the viewers can't tell he already knew about it. Also, no slap-fest. Boo.
- Dolorous Edd is always amusing, but fart jokes? Really, HBO? You didn't want to use GRRM's witticisms from the books, so you replace them with... fart jokes. Meh.
- Needs moar Arya.
- Boo, no Shireen. :( And I think it was too soon to see Stannis and Melisandre having it on. We know it happened (off-screen) in the books and I don't mind that they show it, but for non-readers it seems that it's just yet-another-sex-scene.

What I didn't like:
- WTF, Rakharo? He doesn't die in the books. Gratuitous death? I know the bloodriders are all kind of interchangeable, but still...
- I know the Theon/captain's daughter scene is in the book but that's actually something that could have been cut since Theon already had a "sexposition" scene (totally made up for the TV version) with Ros in S1. But hey, they probably thought, moar sex = good!
- Changing the orders about the bastard's purge as coming from Joffrey instead of Cersei. Stupid. Joffrey's already a Complete Monster, no need to pile on.
- The constant softcore porn is getting tiring and just gives more ammo to the detractors. And that mouth-wiping, really? Grow up, D&D. :rolleyes:
- Everything involving Ros and Littlefinger. Ugh, worst character adaptation ever? I was thrilled when Carcetti from the Wire was cast, but I hate how they wrote Baelish for the TV show. He's a creep but not THAT kind of creep (the voyeurism was just too much). And we already know he's greedy and ruthless, this was just mustache-twirling stupidity. And to add insult to injury, that scene lasted longer than the Daenerys scene (and it also meant no screen time for Sansa, the Hound, Catelyn and Robb, etc.) while being complete and utter filler. Pointless, stupid, F U D&D, you guys are hack writers and the only reason the show's still good is because of the source material being that good. Seriously. (Yeah, yeah, I is mad brah!)

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:57 am 

Morrigan wrote:
My nerdrage thoughts about episode 2.

What I liked:
- Arya and Gendry! <3
- Jaqen, though it was painfully brief. Can't wait to see more of him.
- Yoren being all badass. Loved it, true to the book too.
- Tyrion vs Janos Slynt.
- Random Ironborn giving Theon the cold shoulder + Balon putting Theon back in his place. Take that, Greyjoy. Also, Pyke looked great.
- Sallador Saan was memorable and funny. Good for him.
- Varys and his "I keep on paddling" line. Yay! Glad they kept that.
- GHOOOOOOOOOST! :metal:

What was cool-but-should-have-been-better:
- Theon and Yara Asha. I'm not sold on the actress playing Asha yet (she doesn't look like the bold, cocky, badass woman I read about), and I thought the scene was a lot funnier in the books...
- Tyrion vs Cersei. In the books he confronts her with the incest before the rumours spread. He appears less clever now since the viewers can't tell he already knew about it. Also, no slap-fest. Boo.
- Dolorous Edd is always amusing, but fart jokes? Really, HBO? You didn't want to use GRRM's witticisms from the books, so you replace them with... fart jokes. Meh.
- Needs moar Arya.
- Boo, no Shireen. :( And I think it was too soon to see Stannis and Melisandre having it on. We know it happened (off-screen) in the books and I don't mind that they show it, but for non-readers it seems that it's just yet-another-sex-scene.

What I didn't like:
- WTF, Rakharo? He doesn't die in the books. Gratuitous death? I know the bloodriders are all kind of interchangeable, but still...
- I know the Theon/captain's daughter scene is in the book but that's actually something that could have been cut since Theon already had a "sexposition" scene (totally made up for the TV version) with Ros in S1. But hey, they probably thought, moar sex = good!
- Changing the orders about the bastard's purge as coming from Joffrey instead of Cersei. Stupid. Joffrey's already a Complete Monster, no need to pile on.
- The constant softcore porn is getting tiring and just gives more ammo to the detractors. And that mouth-wiping, really? Grow up, D&D. :rolleyes:
- Everything involving Ros and Littlefinger. Ugh, worst character adaptation ever? I was thrilled when Carcetti from the Wire was cast, but I hate how they wrote Baelish for the TV show. He's a creep but not THAT kind of creep (the voyeurism was just too much). And we already know he's greedy and ruthless, this was just mustache-twirling stupidity. And to add insult to injury, that scene lasted longer than the Daenerys scene (and it also meant no screen time for Sansa, the Hound, Catelyn and Robb, etc.) while being complete and utter filler. Pointless, stupid, F U D&D, you guys are hack writers and the only reason the show's still good is because of the source material being that good. Seriously. (Yeah, yeah, I is mad brah!)

I was a little weirded out by the Malisandre-Stannis sex scene. Did the book imply that they had that relationship? I don't remember. I always took Stannis to be rather unsexual. Had no problem with Theon and the captain's daughter, as not only was it in the book, but it set up Theon's arrogance at entering the Iron Islands, thinking he's going to be greated as a returning hero. I laughed at the scene with the prostitute wiping her mouth and then kissing the next guy. It's juvenile, but I don't care. I'm trying to figure out what is the point of Ros. Why add her? She's pretty and all, but what does she bring to the story besides some T&A?

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:44 pm 

She's a composite of that hooker back in Winterfell Theon used to favor, and a new character who really is there to help illuminate Baelish. I think she serves a purpose but there was plenty of bitching about her in the last thread. Overall the second episode was just o.k., I'm really getting anxious for Renly to show back up. I too missed the sexual side of Stannis in the books, but again that scene helps to explain his marital situation. Overall not much to complain about here, I forgot how nitpicky it gets in these threads. I'm just enjoying the show!

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:47 pm 

TadGhostal wrote:
I was a little weirded out by the Malisandre-Stannis sex scene. Did the book imply that they had that relationship? I don't remember. I always took Stannis to be rather unsexual. Had no problem with Theon and the captain's daughter, as not only was it in the book, but it set up Theon's arrogance at entering the Iron Islands, thinking he's going to be greated as a returning hero. I laughed at the scene with the prostitute wiping her mouth and then kissing the next guy. It's juvenile, but I don't care. I'm trying to figure out what is the point of Ros. Why add her? She's pretty and all, but what does she bring to the story besides some T&A?
Yes, it was implied in the books, and pretty much confirmed in ADWD, but it all happened off-screen. And yes, the mouth-wiping was juvenile, and it really doesn't help give credibility to the show, IMO.

Ros is basically David & Dan's fanfiction. A particular poorly written and sophomoric fanfiction at that. :nono:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

garthmargengi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:14 pm 

I also whatthefucked at Yara, why the name change? Also, the actress is not at all how I imagined the character, but well, let's see how she plays the part in the future, can't say much for now.

Animicantus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:42 pm 

I agree with Morrigan on basically everything she said, but I also want to add that Jon Snow scene in the end. I feel like what actually happened in the book would have been simpler to implement and better (cause it follows the book).

defyexistance wrote:
It also sounds like he says "The raven licks my asshole" as the first vocal line there. It never fails to crack me up.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:57 pm 

Instead of writing my thoughts on the episode (I agree with Morri for almost everything). I'll post that, if you want to have a re run of season 1, might be cool haha to cosplay as your favorite characters and get drunk!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:53 pm 

Yara/Asha's blood is iron, and considering how Theon and Balon aren't the greatest looking lads, she turned out looks like what she realistically should look like. Yeah, it's a shame that she didn't turn out like the fan art adaptions. Also, I'm sure the men of the Iron Islands see more beauty in a tough woman with child bearing hips more than a typical Lannister woman.

Poor Theon just wants to fit in. How he said "what's dead may never die" a split second too late made me chuckle. I wonder if him being the last one to swear his sword to the King in the North is intentional.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:55 pm 

I don't see why it needs more Arya. Is that part more exciting in the book? I'm getting all the info I need from her brief cameos in each episode.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:03 pm 

TadGhostal wrote:
I was a little weirded out by the Malisandre-Stannis sex scene. Did the book imply that they had that relationship? I don't remember. I always took Stannis to be rather unsexual.

Where do you think shadow babies come from? ;)

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:07 am 

Adriankat wrote:
Yara/Asha's blood is iron, and considering how Theon and Balon aren't the greatest looking lads, she turned out looks like what she realistically should look like. Yeah, it's a shame that she didn't turn out like the fan art adaptions. Also, I'm sure the men of the Iron Islands see more beauty in a tough woman with child bearing hips more than a typical Lannister woman.

I didn't say anything about her being not pretty enough. I actually like that she's not some unrealistic babe, actually. But I was specifically referring to her lack of charisma, swagger and cockiness. She didn't exhibit those characteristics. But she may grow on me yet, I'll give her time.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next