Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Orthodox Caveman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:28 am 

Sludgyfolks wrote:
OK, I've been spinning stuff like Wizard's Beard a lot, and I'm looking for that newcomer kind of stuff right now. Sludge, doom, stoner, give me whatever you have. I love Belzebong, Dopethrone, and all that fresh meat kind of stuff.

Here you go, sir:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkmGGavexBA

Sludgyfolks
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:44 am 

Orthodox Caveman wrote:

Wow, that was freaking sick, man. What a thick, slow, crushing hell of a song, thanks a lot, man. :metal:

Orthodox Caveman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:31 am 

Sludgyfolks wrote:
Orthodox Caveman wrote:

Wow, that was freaking sick, man. What a thick, slow, crushing hell of a song, thanks a lot, man. :metal:

It's my friend's band. Lots of potential, indeed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4sHd_zV-w0

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:04 pm 

Just found these guys in the band queue: http://rozamov.bandcamp.com/
Pretty fucking cool!

oh, hum, new Candlemass has leaked somewhere too, thoughts on it later

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Craggzy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:19 pm 

I'm looking for some Traditional Doom but Very recent but still with that 70's sound.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:38 pm 

Well, read this thread, it's full of these bands. Quick recommendations: Briton Rites, Hour of 13, Blood Ceremony, Noctum and Witchcraft. Also, check the solo stuff of Wino and all his projects.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:47 pm 

Craggzy wrote:
I'm looking for some Traditional Doom but Very recent but still with that 70's sound.

In addition to the bands Metantoine said, I'll say:

Hands of Orlac (although they have some sections that sound more 80s heavy metal, but they have a real 70s sound too, and also comparable to Blood Ceremony, as they have flute and a female singer).

Jex Thoth (psych doom that sounds very late 60s/early 70s. Also have a female singer).

Orchid (very Sabbath like).

DogsHolyLife
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:16 pm 

Recently, I found myself playing lots of Ahab. I mean I'm kind of big on sludge and doom and quite familiar with it but have yet to get myself into funeral doom, I guess. Any ideas?

theoctavarius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:33 pm 

DogsHolyLife wrote:
Recently, I found myself playing lots of Ahab. I mean I'm kind of big on sludge and doom and quite familiar with it but have yet to get myself into funeral doom, I guess. Any ideas?

Esoteric is probably your best bet. They're a lot busier and psychedelic than your everyday funeral doom band, content on mixing things up from album to album. Needless to say, their entire discography is spectacular; you can start with any album and still get quality material.
Was du geschlagen
zu Gott wird es dich tragen!

-Gustav Mahler

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:36 pm 

I'll see your Esoteric and raise you an Evoken! Skepticism and Thergothon are legends in the genre, I mean they practically gave birth to the genre.

theoctavarius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:42 pm 

androdion wrote:
I'll see your Esoteric and raise you an Evoken! Skepticism and Thergothon are legends in the genre, I mean they practically gave birth to the genre.

Yeah, check these bands out, too, lol.

Faal might also be worth looking into. They're not well known, and I can't really describe their sound very well, other than they have some similarities to Esoteric.
Was du geschlagen
zu Gott wird es dich tragen!

-Gustav Mahler

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:18 pm 

DogsHolyLife wrote:

The bands other people recommended so far are all great. I recommend checking out Abstract Spirit's Tragedy and Weeds. Very good experimental Funeral Doom, they have New Orleans style brass sections in some songs and it actually turns out pretty cool. Fungoid Stream are also pretty cool and unorthodox, some really bizarre atmospheres. Colosseum is awesome, especially their debut album. Probably the best funeral doom I've heard.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:13 am 

Let's throw in some Mournful Congregation to.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:31 am 

Hey people, do you know any stoner metal (or doom, for that matter) with a thing for 70's sounding synths (if they're Hammond organs, or closely resemble them, then all the better) and soaring, Ian Gillan-esque vocals? I'm particularly going for something that has a somewhat dreamy quality to it (perhaps a bit of a thin production?), although it mustn't forget about the riffs, of course. Thanks a lot people!

DogsHolyLife
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:04 pm 

Wow, lots of suggestions. Many thanks, everybody. I'm still busy checking out your recommendations, but Esoteric is my favorite so far. The Pernicious Enigma is just majestic.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:24 am 

^ The Maniacal Vale is rrrrrrreaaally good. Listened to it the first time going over the Rockies while it was snowing .. epiiiiiiiic.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:44 am 

Tony, after your reply to Craggzy, a question about the music genre search. "Traditional Doom" turns up three bands, "Doom" turns up tons of undifferentiated pages which don't distinguish between funeral and trad. Searching "Epic Doom" is clear enough and what I'd like with "Traditional". Is this a matter of labeling when the band was added that makes it difficult to identify, or am I missing something?

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:07 am 

DogsHolyLife wrote:

I'm going to throw in Doom:VS, Pantheist, and Monolithe. Take a look at the last one especially. Catacombs, Asunder, and Ataraxie are all worthy mentions as well.
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:15 am 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
Tony, after your reply to Craggzy, a question about the music genre search. "Traditional Doom" turns up three bands, "Doom" turns up tons of undifferentiated pages which don't distinguish between funeral and trad. Searching "Epic Doom" is clear enough and what I'd like with "Traditional". Is this a matter of labeling when the band was added that makes it difficult to identify, or am I missing something?

Trad doom is doom with huge and clear influences from Sabbath, Rev Biz for example is trad doom pushed to his very limits with 25 minutes songs and everything. Trad is used to describe the genre because it's obviously the oldest of the bunch. But it's not used as an official term in my opinion, at least most trad doom bands on MA don't have it and I don't use it myself to classify my music on my computer, it's like saying that these new death metal bands are playing old school death metal, it's not related to their formation or anything. Epic doom is kind of a mix between heavy/power and doom, see Candlemass of course, Doomsword too, I guess

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:15 am 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:

Trad doom is doom with huge and clear influences from Sabbath, Rev Biz for example is trad doom pushed to his very limits with 25 minutes songs and everything. Trad is used to describe the genre because it's obviously the oldest of the bunch. But it's not used as an official term in my opinion, at least most trad doom bands on MA don't have it and I don't use it myself to classify my music on my computer, it's like saying that these new death metal bands are playing old school death metal, it's not related to their formation or anything. Epic doom is kind of a mix between heavy/power and doom, see Candlemass of course, Doomsword too, I guess

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:40 am 

I see. That makes sense. So Pallbearer and Hour of 13 would just be doom as opposed to "traditional doom" because they aren't genuinely traditional in the og sense. I suppose that means that on the doom list some of the funeral doom bands had the "funeral" left out, then.

Orthodox Caveman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:47 pm 

theoctavarius wrote:
DogsHolyLife wrote:

Esoteric is probably your best bet. They're a lot busier and psychedelic than your everyday funeral doom band, content on mixing things up from album to album. Needless to say, their entire discography is spectacular; you can start with any album and still get quality material.

I'd say, listen to some Torture Wheel!

TheEvilSocky
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:20 am 

I'm looking for some drone-y funeral doom with an emphasis on thick heavy riffs, Ahab's first and Sunn O)))'s more lively tracks come to mind I also really enjoy Thou's covers of Sabbath, but would still like a little slower.
I've yet to check out the rest of Thou's stuff, the Sludge part of the genre tab leave me skeptical.
Catacombs is close but the guitar isn't "lively" enough I guess? I don't really know how to describe it without contradicting funeral/drone,
I guess one way to say it is I want the Judas Priest of funeral doom, multitudes of catchy heavy riffs piled on top of one another... but played at 2 miles an hour low enough make you shit yourself.

garthmargengi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:49 am 

Worship.

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:56 pm 

TheEvilSocky wrote:
I'm looking for some drone-y funeral doom with an emphasis on thick heavy riffs, Ahab's first and Sunn O)))'s more lively tracks come to mind I also really enjoy Thou's covers of Sabbath, but would still like a little slower.
I've yet to check out the rest of Thou's stuff, the Sludge part of the genre tab leave me skeptical.
Catacombs is close but the guitar isn't "lively" enough I guess? I don't really know how to describe it without contradicting funeral/drone,
I guess one way to say it is I want the Judas Priest of funeral doom, multitudes of catchy heavy riffs piled on top of one another... but played at 2 miles an hour low enough make you shit yourself.

I agree, Worship should be pretty good for you. I also recommend Feeding the Abyss by The Funeral Orchestra, Tomb of the Ancient King by Wormphlegm, and Lux Deerit Soli by Malasangre. Also, if you have an open mind, you may also like Pheromone and Summon by Bloody Panda. They're listed as Sludge/Doom, but I've always found them to be more of a Drone band.

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:08 pm 

TheEvilSocky wrote:
I've yet to check out the rest of Thou's stuff

If you want to check out more of Thou's stuff, I would recommend the most recent full-length, Summit as a good place to start.

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:46 pm 

Howdy all, I am trying to find some "inward-looking" doom that is melodic like Woods of Ypres lastest and last effort. I am well versed in the genre, but the only other band I can think of is Type Negative that has those qualities. A plus if it has some piano. Thanks all.
Heres a song off of their latest - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8rJlJZfH9s

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:04 am 

Dooders wrote:
Howdy all, I am trying to find some "inward-looking" doom that is melodic like Woods of Ypres lastest and last effort. I am well versed in the genre, but the only other band I can think of is Type Negative that has those qualities. A plus if it has some piano. Thanks all.

I understand the link you do between WoY and Type O Negative, but those aren't Doom bands. 'doomy', yes, but not Doom per se. Check Green Carnation fot the same kind of moods. Or Saturnus? To some extend, it can remind of WoY too.
And for the fun, have also a listen to The Northern Ontario Black Metal Preservation Society wich sound a bit like Paradise Lost with a BM twist.

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:27 am 

Morphine1873 wrote:
Dooders wrote:

I understand the link you do between WoY and Type O Negative, but those aren't Doom bands. 'doomy', yes, but not Doom per se. Check Green Carnation fot the same kind of moods. Or Saturnus? To some extend, it can remind of WoY too.
And for the fun, have also a listen to The Northern Ontario Black Metal Preservation Society wich sound a bit like Paradise Lost with a BM twist.

I'm not saying they're doom in a more understood and common sense, but just lack a better genre tag and I am pretty sure most people can relate and know what I am asking for. Things get strange (for genre tagging) with that gothic influence; more doses of upbeat tempo and more melodic. Anyway, I am really liking Saturnus and Green Carnation to a lesser extent. I'll keep searching through their albums and it looks like these will hold me over. Thanks for the helpful rec's.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:09 am 

If you liked Saturnus, then you could also check out the latest album of MORGION : cloaked by ages … soft and thoughtful. What they released prior to that last one is heavier, darker, and more oppressive.

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:11 pm 

There's a new Altar of Oblivion track from the upcoming album able to be listened to here: http://shadowkingdomrecords.bandcamp.co ... f-defiance

Epic Heavy/Doom Metal.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:53 am 

I forgot how excellent October Tide's Rain Without End is. These waving guitar leads sound so damn good.

Dark_Insanity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:48 pm 

theoctavarius wrote:
DogsHolyLife wrote:

Ea from Russia are brilliant, so are Remembrance from France.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:12 am 

http://artascatharsis.bandcamp.com/album/come-midnight

amazing doomish stuff if anyone wants to listen

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:39 am 

Looking for energetic riffy, occassionally sped up doom metal with high vocals. Something similiar to Trouble's debut or Black Sabbath's Dehumanizer.

~Guest 295685
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:19 am 

Odd request, but does anyone know of any doom with a bit of a Joy Division influence? Thanks

Orthodox Caveman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:15 pm 

FrozenDoom wrote:
Odd request, but does anyone know of any doom with a bit of a Joy Division influence? Thanks

I'm a huge Joy Division fan, but I can't seem to place their sound in a doom metal-ish way.

~Guest 295685
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:29 pm 

Orthodox Caveman wrote:
FrozenDoom wrote:

I'm a huge Joy Division fan, but I can't seem to place their sound in a doom metal-ish way.

I'd imagine something similar to Ghost, with a bit of a poppy, yet melancholy sound. JD's song Passover is one I've always wanted to hear a Doom cover of.

~Guest 295685
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:31 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Looking for energetic riffy, occassionally sped up doom metal with high vocals. Something similiar to Trouble's debut or Black Sabbath's Dehumanizer.

I don't know of any particular bands, but the song "Dark Are the Veils of Death" by Candlemass fits that criteria pretty well.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:11 pm 

Thanks. I'll check that out.

Is there any traditional doom metal out there with harsh vocals? Think of something similiar to Cathedral's debut or Paradise Lost's Shades of God.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73 ... 133  Next