* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:33 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Thanks. I'll check that out.

Is there any traditional doom metal out there with harsh vocals? Think of something similiar to Cathedral's debut or Paradise Lost's Shades of God.

Kranium's album Testimonios has some growls in it. Musically, it's tad doom mixed with folk elements from the Andes region (the band is from Peru). It's a great album too.

Yrautibo
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:58 pm 

Anyone got any recommendations for doom metal with Arabic sounding riffs? Kinda like Amorphis' Tales from the Thousand Lakes but more doomy and more Arabic.

Recommend anything that might fit, however obvious you might think it is.

(I'm not even sure that Arabic would be the best word to describe the riffs, but those who know that Amorphis album probably get what kind of riffs I mean.)

~Guest 295685
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:06 pm 

Yrautibo wrote:
Anyone got any recommendations for doom metal with Arabic sounding riffs? Kinda like Amorphis' Tales from the Thousand Lakes but more doomy and more Arabic.

(I'm not even sure that Arabic would be the best word to describe the riffs, but those who know that Amorphis album probably get what kind of riffs I mean.)

Listen to Giant Squid's song Neonate. Not particularly Doomy as it is Sludgey, but it does have some Arabic/Middle Eastern inspired riffs

Yrautibo
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:48 pm 

The main riff was more or less what I was looking for, but other than that it wasn't doomy or Arabic enough. Thanks anyway, it was a pretty good song overall. The vocalist sounded frighteningly similar to Serj Tankian though, not sure how I feel about that (better than I would've thought I'd feel, I guess).

Any others?

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:00 pm 

Yrautibo wrote:

Fucking Orphaned Land, man. Everyone needs to know this band.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:10 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkzAtkXhtW8

Sounds like a slower and doomier Melechesh.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:25 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Yrautibo wrote:

Fucking Orphaned Land, man. Everyone needs to know this band.

I never really thought of them as some kind of doom metal band but yeah they are great. One of my favourite bands. I prefer El Norra Alila and Mabool to Sahara though and the last album was a disappointment for me.
I'd love to blast a bit of Voivod and make a better-looking gun turret to glue on the tortoise's shell to make it look like Killing Technology, but the wife won't let me. I think I'll get an Emperor penguin instead.

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:29 am 

Yrautibo wrote:

This might be a far stretch or maybe even too obvious, but
Minsk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zymm8LE2YFQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDqRPFwI ... re=related

High on Fire (especially this album Death is this Communion)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toJfgrE61mQ

Om
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Orr0kf9RSK0

Sleep
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbxxTbuo ... re=related

charlesdexterward
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:42 am 

Hi,

First post and a really n00b question...

If it'll stop me getting flamed I'm only 15 and I realise I don't know chicken sh*t from chicken dinner!

Because of my dad I'm a huge fan of Lovecraft (and Maiden/Sabbath/Dio etc.). Searching through google for Cthulhu stuff a couple of months ago I came across Electric Wizard and then through them stuff by Ramesses, Orange Goblin and Acid Witch.

Are there any other currently popular doom bands like these I should check out? I'm sure there are loads of older bands I should check out too (see below) but I would love to find some that are still around and might tour over here in the UK as I love seeing bands live!

Also what would be the 'top 5' bands you would recommend as an introduction to Doom Metal... the real godfathers of the genre?

Thanks!

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:04 am 

charlesdexterward wrote:
Also what would be the 'top 5' bands you would recommend as an introduction to Doom Metal... the real godfathers of the genre?

Candlemass, Solitude Aeturnus, Grand Magus, Doomsword, and any of the big-name death/doom metal bands (My Dying Bride, Katatonia, Anathema, Paradise Lost, Theatre of Tragedy).

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:26 am 

charlesdexterward wrote:

Black Sabbath, Pentagram, Trouble, Saint Vitus and Candlemass. Listen to the first two or three albums from each of those bands and you'll know what doom metal is all about.

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:36 am 

The guys above me mentioned the traditional variety classics. Since you mentioned Orange Goblin and Electric Wizard I will recommend some of the more modern names:

Cathedral
Acid King
Sleep
High on Fire
Weedeater

Most of these as with most modern doom metal acts fall into subcategories like desert rock, death doom, stoner doom, gothic doom, funeral doom, etc. Enjoy!

Butt Rayge
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:57 pm 

Anybody heard of Horn of the Rhino? Or just "Rhino," as they were previously known?

They're a sludgy doomy stonery band from Spain with some awesome soulful vocals. They occasionally go into some faster riffing as well. I don't really know what genre to call them. Check 'em out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2qLY4KHCYE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kPfefpAcXI

For those of you who were compiling lists or traditional doom with the likes of Griftefard and Warning, have you listened to Pallbearer (I might have skipped over them being mentioned.) If you haven't, you should definitely look them up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XH6vwm_mzM

EpicSceptic wrote:
The guys above me mentioned the traditional variety classics. Since you mentioned Orange Goblin and Electric Wizard I will recommend some of the more modern names:

Cathedral
Acid King
Sleep
High on Fire
Weedeater

Most of these as with most modern doom metal acts fall into subcategories like desert rock, death doom, stoner doom, gothic doom, funeral doom, etc. Enjoy!

Come on, desert rock isn't actually a thing.

Is it?

Anyway, Weedeater and High on Fire are pretty good and Sleep is fucking brilliant. Haven't listened to the other two.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:29 am 

charlesdexterward wrote:
Hi,

If it'll stop me getting flamed I'm only 15 and I realise I don't know chicken sh*t from chicken dinner!

Because of my dad I'm a huge fan of Lovecraft (and Maiden/Sabbath/Dio etc.). Searching through google for Cthulhu stuff a couple of months ago I came across Electric Wizard and then through them stuff by Ramesses, Orange Goblin and Acid Witch.

Are there any other currently popular doom bands like these I should check out? I'm sure there are loads of older bands I should check out too (see below) but I would love to find some that are still around and might tour over here in the UK as I love seeing bands live!

Thanks!

Arkham Witch is awesome and I'll recommend them since you like Lovecraft : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ib9uM0e3bE

Don't feel bad about discovering a music genre, dude, you have a good attitude and nobody will make fun of you.
Some of my favorite doom bands right now are : Reverend Bizarre, Lord Vicar, Griftegard and Witch Mountain. For any questions about the genre, ask in this thread :)

Horn of the Rhino, I need to check out their new release more, it's sludgier, but I liked it.

Butt Rayge
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:08 am 

That last post I made was also my first one, so please allow me a noob question. Are we allowed general discussion of doom, sludge and stoner bands in here, or is it strictly for inquiries and answers?

Personally, I've been listening to Horn of the Rhino, Pallbearer, Griftegard, Warning and Lord Vicar, and I've got Nightfall by Candlemass playing and had Epicus Doomicus Metalicus on before then.

I'd second the recommendation of Arkham Witch for the Lovecraft lyrics, and add that you should check out The Lamp of Thoth if that's too your liking. You've also got recs for the "essential" doom bands, so I'll list some other different styles to check out;

Argus - Epic doom/mid paced heavy metal. Listen to "Wolves of Dusk"
Dopethrone - Stoner, with perhaps a bit of sludge (I'm still not entirely sure how to identify sludge.) Listen to "Demonsmoke"
Ahab - Funeral doom. Listen to "The Hunt"
Acid Witch - Death/doom with a B-horror movie theme. Listen to "Swamp Spells"
Sleep - Stoner, through and through. Listen to "Dragonaut."

That should do you for a little while. Chances are you'll prefer one of the styles more than the others, then you can come back and specify which style you want to hear more of.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:41 am 

Discussions are more than welcome, dude. I'm trying to emulate the success of the heavy/power/speed metal help thread with the other help threads, I made them stickies and it improved, but not enough. You know doom and I think that's pretty fucking cool, welcome on board.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:02 am 

charlesdexterward: hey!

Here are some things I learned from about detailed searching (the latter from Metantoine himself): On the first page (my internet lingo is total shit, so forgive me), which I want to call the home page, there's the search window in the upper right. In the drop down there you can search by lyrical theme. Also, there's the 'Advanced Search' link right under the search window that leads you to detailed and combined searching. Much doom awaits you, like an orchard of strange dreams.

I'm also here to recommend Scald (Russia). Epic Viking doom. + they aren't a godfather, but they are awesome..

Happy hunting! :thumbsup:

Butt Rayge
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:48 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Discussions are more than welcome, dude. I'm trying to emulate the success of the heavy/power/speed metal help thread with the other help threads, I made them stickies and it improved, but not enough. You know doom and I think that's pretty fucking cool, welcome on board.

Awesome.

Has anybody here listened to Dantesco's latest? There's no reviews for it yet.

And while we're at it, can anybody recommend me some doom bands with operatic vocals? Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Baritone, Bass; it matters not.

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:05 am 

Butt Rayge wrote:
Come on, desert rock isn't actually a thing.

Is it?

Ye, there's a fuckton of that stuff out there. I mean, you have a mix between groovy rock and stoner metal with strong traditional doom undertones.

Metantoine wrote:
Reverend Bizarre

Don't know how I forgot about them, seconded. Which reminds me!
One of the best new acts in town, The Wounded Kings
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kehnPyecMvA

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:59 pm 

Butt Rayge wrote:
Tenor

Scald. Also, Candlemass (duh)

If Messiah doesn't provide enough operatics, I'd be surprised to find a doom project that suits your needs, but there's a lot I haven't heard. Most clean or standard doom seems to focus around a variety of vocal stylizations based roughly around the quality of Ozzy's voice. Styles vary considerably, but the quality doesn't often approach opera.. and from what I know, it's generally tenors. Along with Messiah, Agyl is one of the exceptions who holds power and quality of a higher standard than most of what I've encountered in the genre. Potent high end with a moaning mid range befitting of Viking doom.

In the epicnesss ~

Night Sky:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GCWLnlYrRA

A Tumulus:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIbNvwH8 ... re=related

Rivnat
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:30 pm 

Hey guys. I'm looking for a very crushing and slow Doom Metal band that have saxophone.

Does anyone knows one band like that?

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:44 pm 

Rivnat wrote:
Hey guys. I'm looking for a very crushing and slow Doom Metal band that have saxophone.

They vary pace, but Zu:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcZlKwbvgCE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7y9xOJV ... re=related

Rivnat
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:57 pm 

EpicSceptic wrote:
Rivnat wrote:

They vary pace, but Zu:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcZlKwbvgCE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7y9xOJV ... re=related

Already know about Zu, but I didn't liked so much the band =/

But thanks anyway.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:34 pm 

Let's see if I can get a discussion going by asking a question. I rarely see Maryland doom metal being mentioned here other than famous bands like Pentagram (D.C. is just a stone's throw away from MD, so I'm counting them) and The Obsessed. So I'm asking if you guys have an interest in this scene which was burgeoning in the 90's? Any favorite bands / records? Revelation happens to be my favorite American doom band of all time and Salvation's Answer is an album every doom fan should hear at least once. I'm also a big fan of Iron Man (Al Morris III is a living, breathing riff factory and it's hard to choose a favorite full-length!) and my appreciation for Unorthodox increases with each passing year. Recently purchased the vinyl reissue of Internal Void's demo Voyage and I think it's amazing. Some of their finest work right there. These bands brought the riffs!

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:05 pm 

I love Revelation, "Salvation's Answer" is probably my second favourite Doom album. I love the album's archaic religious feeling of solitude and contemplation (at least that what it gives me). The "Frozen Masque" demo is also awesome, if in a slightly different style.

Strangely, I don't care much for the rest of that scene, there's too much of a Rock feel in that style of Doom for my liking.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:33 pm 

Yeah, on Frozen Masque they had a different songwriter, Dennis Cornelius, who has a style of his own. Definitely another favorite of mine, although I think he made his best work after he left Revelation. He writes wonderful proggy doom metal in Memory Driven now. As did Revelation when original guitarist / vocalist John Brenner returned. I argue that Release is the best comeback album by a metal band ever. Something to check out for those who enjoy progressive metal in addition to doom. Of course Never Comes Silence is progressive as well in a flawed but charming way.

Personally I can't live without that rocking, Sabbathian style of doom anymore. I need the riffs, man! It's easy to discern how much of an influence Sabbath, Pentagram and The Obsessed had on the Maryland scene, although other influences vary from band to band. But usually it's something that predates the 80's. Revelation has Rush as a huge influence for example, which I think is mighty cool.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:36 pm 

Doomsday wrote:
I'm also a big fan of Iron Man (Al Morris III is a living, breathing riff factory and it's hard to choose a favorite full-length!)

**) .. *immediate searches*

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:37 pm 

Iron Man is fucking awesome, so is Force (I think Doomsday recced me this one recently when I was looking for doom with female vocalists)

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:48 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Iron Man is fucking awesome, so is Force (I think Doomsday recced me this one recently when I was looking for doom with female vocalists)

I downloaded the Force full length and listened to it once, and thought it was really good, better than Iron Man actually. I'd really like to see it be re-released.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:15 am 

A new song from The Wandering Midget on their ReverbNation page. Sounds awesome as always, especially the chorus. The long wait is almost over, just another month to go until From the Meadows of Opium Dreams drops. Thoughts and opinions?

Orthodox Caveman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:47 am 

charlesdexterward wrote:
Hi,

Thanks!

Hey buddy, even if you were 40 years old, recommendations are always done. I'm a doom afficionado if I may say so and I still ask for them. The bands you named are amongst my very favorites, as I love stoner/doom. If you are into Lovecraft, you should check the band called Portal. This is not doom, but the lyrical content might be to your liking: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Portal/5471

When it comes to doom, I would definately recommend:

Bongzilla:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xftx2MUT87A

Sleep:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nkun78T1y4

Toner Low:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81plxB5ISCM

OM:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYgyL7NlwJQ

If this is to your liking, then let me know and I'll hook you up with some more.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:07 pm 

Doomsday wrote:
A new song from The Wandering Midget on their ReverbNation page. Sounds awesome as always, especially the chorus. The long wait is almost over, just another month to go until From the Meadows of Opium Dreams drops. Thoughts and opinions?

Mmmmmmm, thanks for the link, I'm still playing catch-up on these guys. I've only got I Am the Gate but I can't even begin to explain how much it resonates with me. These guys have a really special and quirky sound, but its carried off in a lowkey way. There's no "LOOK HOW WEEEEIIIRD WE ARE!" bullshit going on, just their own brand of interesting doom, the old way.

This new song sounds amazing, especially that swinging drum beat. I love it.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:15 pm 

Doomsday wrote:

I like it, we can feel the spectre of Albert in there :love:

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:25 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
I like it, we can feel the spectre of Albert in there :love:

Nah, I don't hear much Albert in TWM. They're following their own vision.

Mechanix11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:59 pm 

any bands or albums that worth check it out of stoner metal?
im new this sub-genre so i hope anyone can give me some recommendations :-D

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:38 pm 

Mechanix11 wrote:

Sleep - Holy Mountain
Orange Goblin - Time Traveling Blues
Cathedral - The Carnival Bizarre
Kyuss - Welcome to Sky Valley

Some of these bands/albums straddle the line between stoner and doom. There's also Electric Wizard. My personal favorite Electric Wizard albums are the self titled and Come My Fanatics, but the general consensus is that their best one is Dopethrone.

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:00 am 

Mechanix11 wrote:

Second all of those above mentioned.

Om, who just happen to be releasing a new album this month. Electric Wizard, YOB, and Bongzilla are also worth looking into as well.
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

Mechanix11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:04 am 

IX Leviathan wrote:
Mechanix11 wrote:

Second all of those above mentioned.

Om, who just happen to be releasing a new album this month. Electric Wizard, YOB, and Bongzilla are also worth looking into as well.

thanks man, i have listened Electric Wizard and it's very good, any album to worth listening of those bands?

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:15 am 

Mechanix11 wrote:
thanks man, i have listened Electric Wizard and it's very good, any album to worth listening of those bands?

Om - Conference of the Birds
Electric Wizard - Dopethrone or Come My Fanatics... (barring that you haven't already heard these albums)
YOB - The Great Cessation
Bongzilla - Amerijuanican
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:59 am 

I just want to emphasize the importance of Sleep - Dopesmoker for the noobs. Seriously one of the best doom albums, hard to find anything like it that so perfectly mashes up a lovecraftian sense of dread and sabbathian psychedelia.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 ... 133  Next