Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
icecoldsoul
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:44 pm 

Hey guys, now i'm not sure if you heard about this but apparently it has become aware that chick fil-a is strongly opposed to same sex marriage, they have expressed that by giving about $2 million to anti-gay groups, in response to this, the mayor of Boston Massachusetts is refusing to let the company bring it's franchise to Boston, the student senate at the northeastern university passed a resolution to cancel plans for a Chick-fil-A franchise on campus due to the company donating money to anti-gay groups, and the Jim Henson Company, who had begun a kids meal licensing arrangement in 2011 with Pajanimals, said that it would cease its business relationship with the chain, and donate payment for the brand to Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation.

Personally i think that a fast food franchise promoting homophobia is absurd and wrong but what are your opinions on the issue, i am not telling you to boycott the company and i do not care whether you support what the company is doing or not, i just want to know what you think of the issue.

Last edited by icecoldsoul on Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:04 pm 

icecoldsoul wrote:
Queer-Hatin' Cordon Bleu

[citation needed]

Seriously, I want to see a source on that, because that's so ridiculous that I don't believe it. Chick-Fil-A's management may be Christian at heart, but I don't think that even they would be dumb enough to try something like that - that would obviously be total corporate suicide in the 21st century.

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:05 pm 

If you really believe that part about the sandwich name you need to pull your head out of your ass. Also independent businesses can give their money to whoever the fuck they want, I'm not sure what's got Chik-Fil-A so up in arms about gay marriage but they have the right to act against it if they choose. Boycott the restaurant, it's what everyone seems to be doing, I never went there much anyways so this doesn't really affect me at all.

New account, be my friend on the internet! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520745780

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:06 pm 

MalignantThrone wrote:
icecoldsoul wrote:
Queer-Hatin' Cordon Bleu

[citation needed]

Seriously, I want to see a source on that, because that's so ridiculous that I don't believe it. Chick-Fil-A's management may be Christian at heart, but I don't think that even they would be dumb enough to try something like that - that would obviously be total corporate suicide in the 21st century.

The Onion - doesn't it sound like a publication that would have accurate news on sandwiches?

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:17 pm 

Christ on a bike! How do people not realize The Onion is satire?!

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:17 pm 

The company's got their opinions, but I think they're being too paranoid about it. What are homosexuals going to do their restaurant? Will they ruin Chick-Fil-A's image? They've really don't have a legit reason to even pay these anti-gay groups at the moment.

icecoldsoul wrote:
Queer-Hatin' Cordon Bleu

Ya think that a sandwich would really be called that?

icecoldsoul
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:25 pm 

to be honest i've never even heard of the onion until today, and because of that i did not expect it to be a satire

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:26 pm 

hahahaha, that's even funnier than The Onion.

Another very true article

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:30 pm 

Even oogboog realized that something was wrong. :lol:

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:57 pm 

While this particular story and the sandwich name are fake, it is well known that the owners of this franchise let their religious views inform their business policies (link), especially their reasoning behind Sunday closings and certain holiday closings. The recent controversy stems (as I understand it) from some charitable contributions the company made to a marriage/family counseling group, who in turn have held marital and family issues conferences with explicitly anti-gay groups such as Focus on the Family. The conferences were intended to help kids in foster homes and divorcing parents; gay groups were not invited. So Chic-fil-a didn't specifically intend to contribute to gay-bashing groups, but they have given money to groups who associate with such groups.

.....I think.

burnroasted
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:33 pm 

I just hate that they're closed on Sundays.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:03 pm 

You know what... I'm seriously tempted to go to a Chick Fil-A drive through and request a "queer hatin' cordon bleu"... then just drive off.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:07 pm 

Goatfangs wrote:
You know what... I'm seriously tempted to go to a Chick Fil-A drive through and request a "queer hatin' cordon bleu"... then just drive off.

Don't just drive off like that. Wait for them to tell you that they don't serve those, pull a disgusted face, and then drive off.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:24 pm 

MalignantThrone wrote:
Don't just drive off like that. Wait for them to tell you that they don't serve those, whip out a full-color xerox of The Onion article with the start-date highlighted, angrily toss it through the drive-thru window, pull a disgusted face, and then drive off.

Fixed :-P
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:33 pm 

No meal is complete without a little homophobia.

Di3inpain
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:58 pm 

icecoldsoul wrote:
Personally i think that a fast food franchise promoting homophobia is absurd and wrong but what are your opinions on the issue, i am not telling you to boycott the company and i do not care whether you support what the company is doing or not, i just want to know what you think of the issue.

i hate pc-think and support anyone to have any opinion they want. i am not anti or pro gay - the subject is simply not on my radar. i support their right to hold their opinion and i also had a great time at a recent pride parade (damn the gays know how to party).

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:49 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
MalignantThrone wrote:
Don't just drive off like that. Wait for them to tell you that they don't serve those, whip out a full-color xerox of The Onion article with the start-date highlighted, angrily toss it through the drive-thru window, pull a disgusted face, and then drive off.

Fixed :-P

:lol: You have no idea how much this would brighten my work day if I happened to be on the other end of such a confrontation.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:57 pm 

Di3inpain wrote:
icecoldsoul wrote:

i hate pc-think and support anyone to have any opinion they want. i am not anti or pro gay - the subject is simply not on my radar. i support their right to hold their opinion and i also had a great time at a recent pride parade (damn the gays know how to party).

If you support anyone to have any opinion they want why do you have a special reserve of hostility towards critical speech of other speech? Criticism is a very important kind of speech. I see no sense in trying to marginalize it by evincing a consistent hostility towards it, as many people who claim to be for free speech often do.

EmeraldEdge9832
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:58 pm 

All I know is that I love getting their delicious chicken nuggets and waffle fries.

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:37 am 

Businesses can do what they want. Personally If I were to ever go there, I'd stop after this.

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:47 am 

This is a stupid move, besides the obvious dickish nature of it all, its a bad business move. It would be interesting if the franchisees sued him. Seriously, this could potentially damage business of whoever owns a franchise on the restaurant. It could cause angry customers complaining, while the owner of that particular one might not be homophobic at all. If he was smart he would keep his silly views to himself in order to avoid boycotts and whatnot.

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:53 am 

Well apparently the founder of the company is a die-hard conservative Christian whose aim is to spread his ideas through the company. Never ever going into that place.

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:11 am 

ralfikk123 wrote:
Well apparently the founder of the company is a die-hard conservative Christian whose aim is to spread his ideas through the company. Never ever going into that place.

Oh please. It's not like they're slipping Bibles into your carry-out bags or forcing you to recite Luke 23:43 on a whim if you want to eat there.

Besides, after reading into this case a bit more I see that the restaurant chain is hardly "bashing homosexuals". S. Cathy basically publicly released a statement that says he supports the traditional marriage between a man and a woman. It's a bit douchey to LGBTs, but most Christians feel that way anyways, and he wasn't being particularly vehement about it. It's a far cry from allying with the Westboro Baptist Church or anything like that.

Last edited by MalignantThrone on Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:11 am 

There is a lot of traditional marriages in the bible.

And about the bible thing, I'll keep my eyes open!

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:25 am 

Fast food chicken, Jesus and homophobia; this place sounds like the South in a nutshell.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:15 am 

CorpseFister wrote:
Christ on a bike! How do people not realize The Onion is satire?!

This article has been blowing up on my facebook page all God damned day. So many panties being twisted while I just sit back and laugh.

Onikage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:36 am 

i wouldnt even give a shit if this was real, people have the right to oppose gay marriage.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:25 am 

Oh, ha ha, this throws my old baptist school having a lunch deal with chik-fil-a in a whole new light.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:28 am 

Onikage wrote:
i wouldnt even give a shit if this was real, people have the right to oppose gay marriage.

Obviously. But people also have a right to oppose (and boycott if applicable) those who are against gay marriage.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:36 am 

ralfikk123 wrote:
There is a lot of traditional marriages in the bible.

And about the bible thing, I'll keep my eyes open!

Apparently some of the places play christian music for you while you're taking a shit. I love that.

And I wish more places would close on Sundays. Yeah, it's a pain in the ass when you really want something, but having one day a week where next to zero business operates always sounded like a great thing to me, christian or no...
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:49 am 

Never liked Chick Fil A that much anyway, and the recent news just makes me want to stay further away from 'em. In this day and age the whole anti-gay stance is just counter-productive to the progression of a society which is slowly moving past it. Although to my understanding they've supposedly put out a statement that they want to "leave the gay marriage discussion to the political arena." But still.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:58 am 

Sorry gays, that "Chikin' Dippin" home recipe sauce that comes with their nuggets is better than your marriage.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Drunken
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:49 pm 

One of their restaurants here (in North Carolina) allow groups of christian activists to set up P.A.'s on their property and preach to everyone about how our acceptance of homosexuality and abortion will send us to hell. No they are not the Westboro assholes. The store claims that they are not affiliated with the activists, yet they allow them to congregate on the property. It's actually kind of entertaining to get a sandwich from the drive-thru (yeah, I know I'm supporting the nonsense) and park and listen to them.

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:34 pm 

Drunken wrote:
It's actually kind of entertaining to get a sandwich from the drive-thru (yeah, I know I'm supporting the nonsense) and park and listen to them.

Probably better than walking into a drive through at Taco Bell while drunk, getting denied service, calling 911, then getting arrested for misuse of the emergency calling system.

Dux_Saxoniae
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:35 pm 

It was pretty funny to see the religious right types, who were all up in arms about Oreo allegedly shoving politics down people's throats a couple of months ago, praise Chick-Fil-A for doing the same thing now.

Count Dirt Nap
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:11 pm 

I just can't believe people were shocked by any of this. The owners are super Christian to the point that they are closed on Sundays. And now they come out as anti gay? I haven't eaten there in years because I don't eat processed meat and even before that because I hated their food.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:10 pm 

Fucking backwards Christians. This is one of the reasons why I quit going to a baptist church. I liked the people but their moral code comes from the bible so they can't argue and they have strong fundamental beliefs that they feel it is their duty to help convert everyone else so we can all get into heaven.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:00 pm 

While I absolutely agree that anti-gay sentiment has zero place in today's world, the notion that so many people want to have their stance on an issue vindicated by corporations (Chick-Fil-A, Oreo, etc.) that have little genuine interest outside of the profit margin is silly. One should question the strength of their convictions if that's the medium they choose as their mouthpiece.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:02 pm 

AcidWorm wrote:
but their moral code comes from the bible so they can't argue and they have strong fundamental beliefs that they feel it is their duty to help convert everyone else so we can all get into heaven.

...Well, yeah? That's kinda the idea.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:50 am 

I feel like wanting others to go to heaven isn't a terrible feeling :[

I dunno, I'm an extremely liberal Christian (boooo hisssss!!!) closely allied to liberation theology, combined with the dogmatic aspects of Catholicism/Orthodoxy (I like order and pomp) so I'm really distanced from this whole movement. However, that being said, it's a shame that they hate, but this:

ModusOperandi wrote:
While I absolutely agree that anti-gay sentiment has zero place in today's world, the notion that so many people want to have their stance on an issue vindicated by corporations (Chick-Fil-A, Oreo, etc.) that have little genuine interest outside of the profit margin is silly. One should question the strength of their convictions if that's the medium they choose as their mouthpiece.

Is a valid point and should be taken seriously. The idea of political and spiritual support as marketing ploys has existed for quite some time now, but now with a vocal base for each side, it becomes painfully obvious that many of these companies tug at the heartstrings of their constituents.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next