RageW
Marisa's Harlot

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:04 pm 

I like words that start with R and 'Rage' was taken. I prefer my IRC handle n_n

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:18 pm 

Snowgrave wrote:
I don't know, it sounded cool at the time, I guess.

Aww, really? I liked that one explanation you once gave about it where you said it was implying trapping someone under loads of frozen semen. :(
In the Free-for-All, I wrote:
My current username was mostly the result of flipping through a dictionary. I was trying to explicitly avoid being recognized, so I basically tried to stick to AdjectiveNoun. Nothing really interesting about it, and I think I'd change it if I had the choice.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:20 pm 

I used to keep it a mystery and when asked I'd appropriate it to an outburst my friend had while driving and screaming my username at another driver, but that's not entirely true. Legend has it that Lemmy had initially wanted to name his band Bastard, but his manager convinced him to change it. "You'll never get on Top of the Pops with a name like bloody Bastard". So basically it's one part obscure Motorhead trivia + one part overcompensation on my part.

I like the name and I'm glad it stuck and I've kind of gotten a following under it, but it does suck that I used the name for my email address until I was 19 years old. That was always embarrassing to give out in public :grumble:
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

OneRodeToAsaBay
Unangeschnallt den Bullen reingefahren

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:23 pm 

For years, whenever I created accounts on various websites, I'd just type in the title of whatever given song I was listening to and, yeah, I have some pretty odd usernames I still hold on to. I rather liked this username when I first made it and I've been using it semi-consistently since '08.

I go by ortab on IRC (and various iterations based on this root).

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:31 pm 

OneRodeToAsaBay wrote:
For years, whenever I created accounts on various websites, I'd just type in the title of whatever given song I was listening to and, yeah, I have some pretty odd usernames I still hold on to. I rather liked this username when I first made it and I've been using it semi-consistently since '08.

I go by ortab on IRC (and various iterations based on this root).

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:53 pm 

At some point I came across the word Slag, looked up what it is was and remembered it when joining. Not knowing that the Brits use the word as in insult, it mainly is the word used for the by product in the process of smelting ore. I was probably reading up on it at the time. I think it sounds cool. Upon further searching I found that there was apparently a Transformer with the name.
Spoiler: show
All day!

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:20 am 

I got into old school Industrial/Dark Ambient, namely Premature Ejaculation, in around '05 (I was a big Rozz Williams fanboy).
So I started making loop-based "noise" trying to copy PE's sound (except mostly in Fruity Loops... and just looping .WAV files in an ancient version of Windows Media Player prior to that).

It was early in the day, probably in the summer, because I'd been up all night. I was sitting around thinking "I need a name for this new project", and I was simultaneously vegging out to one of my favorite retarded syndicated sitcoms, Mama's Family, when some character said the word "Raytownian".

I was all like, "Dude, that's perfect! No one could possibly be using that name!"
So I called my project "The Raytownian(s)". I put hyphens because I didn't want it to be a solo project, even though it has been all these years. People have told me they like the hyphens though, because it's comically misleading and confusing, especially when people think "we're" more than one person, though it's really never been more than just me except during live performances.

That's about it. Fucking terrible band name, actually... I've stuck with it too long to go and change it now, though. :)

ChurningtheMaelstrom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:08 am 

Mine came from partly an awesome Nile song, but also the fact that the swirling mass of anger, despair, hatred, and insanity that exists in my heart is affectionately known as the "Maelstrom" to me and a good friend.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:46 am 

I like crushing revelations (can be taken two ways), plus it rolls off the tongue quite well, looks good in text form and well... THIS is absolute devastating darkened perfection.

My collection

Pale_Pilgrim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:54 am 

LoTR geek. Gandalf the Grey is known to some as the "Grey Pilgrim". I just swapped "grey" for "pale". I'm kinda pale most months of the year. Also, pilgrim is one of my favorite words. Travelling in search of enlightenment, personal betterment and such. So it's a pretty meaning name.

I also must note that my fave username on here is "The Mizwa of Muzzy Tah". That simply sounds so damn funny/cool. I looked up its origin and chuckled a little more.

My DeviantArt
My old band/project

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:09 am 

When I was about 12, I called myself "flame_snake" on everything. Then when I was 14, maaaybe 15, I just decided on "TheUglySoldier". I think I heard someone say "Mysterious Ninja" and thought about making a name a little bit more intentionally stupid than people's names like that, which often seemed to be people trying to sound cool. So I was like "Yeah! TheUglyNinja!" and then that became "TheUglySoldier".

I tend to sign up to stuff as "AcidMage" now, though.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

truvelocity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:18 am 

there's truth in velocity

TheEvilSocky
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:24 am 

Growing up I used Immortal_Shadow for everything, but when I got xbox live it was taken so I gave a brief thought as to what I could use, I thought of using StutteringStan, a name I used on the GF boards, but then I had an epiphany,
there was this "toy" I had growing up, it was a sock that was named "socky" my sister had drawn eye's on it and a mouth she would puppet it and say stupid/funny shit, it was good times, well one day my sister, being the cruel sadistic bitch she is, began making socky act strange, at first he wouldn't speak at all just stare at me for like hour's sometimes then when he did talk he only talked about satan and how he had chosen socky to be a "harbinger of the end times" and he was "the one that would open the gates of annihilation upon us", after a day of this my sister decided to terrify the fuck out of me even more by saying she burned socky (another sock was substituted) and then he turned up again a couple of day's later, I can't quite remember exactly what all went down but there was a lot of screaming, anyway it ended with socky cut into one long strip and hung from the ceiling.
So I thought surely no one would use "TheEvilSocky" as a screen name, and I was right, it's been there ever since.

Ecliptik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:45 am 

^
:lol:
Best story so far.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:28 am 

Yes most definitely.

"Band reference!"

"Videogame reference!"

"Amazing story about my sister traumatizing me with a sock like she's Mankind or some shit"
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:24 pm 

Mine's pretty boring after TheEvilSocky's...:

I chose Balbulus as the name of my solo music project many years ago, after reading that St. Notker Balbulus (a 9th Century Benedictine monk) was the patron saint of "music and stammering children". As I have spoken with a stammer from an early age, it seemed appropriate. The word is actually Latin for "stammerer".

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:33 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
I like the name and I'm glad it stuck and I've kind of gotten a following under it, but it does suck that I used the name for my email address until I was 19 years old. That was always embarrassing to give out in public

How exactly do you think I feel about that? I'm friggin' forty. And called Toddler. And.. umm... proud of it.

Bobby_Typhoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:09 pm 

It's sappy, but my mother came up with mine. She saw some TV show one night and David Duchovny was a guest star, his character's name was Tommy Volcano or something to that effect. That was around 9-10 years ago, been using it on-line ever since.

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:16 pm 

Pale_Pilgrim wrote:

I also must note that my fave username on here is "The Mizwa of Muzzy Tah". That simply sounds so damn funny/cool. I looked up its origin and chuckled a little more.

:wink: Those that know call me Mufti.

And, thank you.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:18 pm 

Stole it off a friend because I didn't want anything identifying myself here because of me being shy about my reviews. Basically just an in-joke from school, basically because mongols are funny to a stupid 15 year old. The misspelling is an attempt to get the word pronounced funny like a documentary we had to watch where the narrator pronounced his name goofily. Either that or I can't spell, one of the two, it was six years ago so I can't really remember. Now days I'd like to change it something that is more "me", but whatever, people recognise me with it, so it'll do.

Erdrickgr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:21 pm 

Erdrick was the name of the hero in the early Dragon Quest/Warrior games. I added gr somewhere along the line when Erdrick (by itself) as a username was already taken.

~Guest 58624
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:39 pm 

"like she's Mankind or some shit" :lol:

Mine's from a movie called Shark Attack 3: Megalodon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8Xb4LSFMJk

As I said the last time this topic came up, I feel my name is misleading, because it's funny, and I'm usually not. :panda:

I suck at coming up with names. Usually I just use my name or initials. But the last couple of times I was stupid enough to try a dating site, I went by "somekindoftube" (a Simpsons reference) on one, and "Seitanist" on a vegetarian dating site.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:47 pm 

megalowho wrote:
"Seitanist" on a vegetarian dating site.

HAIL SEITAN! :-D
Recently tried some seitan kebab. That stuff can be surprisingly tasty.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Cruciphage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:57 pm 

I got mine from sitting down with lists of prefixes and suffixes and combining them to create new words. I thought I'd invented something really badass until I realized--many years later--that half of it is Latin and the other half is Greek, which makes it pretty much what it is: an ill-conceived word created by a dumb teenager.

Even though I came up with it about 14 or 15 years ago, it's pretty much always been the name I've gone by on the Internet and I see little reason to change that now. It's not a perfect mating of word parts, but I still think cruciphage sounds cool. All scary and metal, or some such nonsense.

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:24 pm 

Back then, two words which just happened to sound cool together (to a 14-year-old me) were Triggerhappy Decimation. I even contemplated using it as a band name (which I now think is a horrible name). Didn't want my username to be too long so I just shortened it.
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

_MFMGW_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:30 am 

I like seeing people guess what the letters stand for.

Well, that isn't it. A (slightly terrible, slightly awesome) drone project I did with a friend, we loved the whole tongue-in-cheek evilness of the lyrics on the Black One album by sunn O))), and their psuedonyms, and so we called ourselves MWSEI, Mystikk Wheels ov))) Sutherland the Eternal Idol and MFMGW, Mystikk Frostgrimm McGolden Wolfchalice.
Together we were called PUFFIN, the most metal of all birds.
I often use the name Dungeon Shaker on forums and whatnot, because, why else, I love Darkthrone!

Rotting_Christ_Mike
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:32 pm 

Well quite obviously my username is a combination of my real first name and one of my favorite bands. Rotting Christ and Mike.

pbirv
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:25 pm 

Mine is a mashup of the German and Slavic words for beer- "bier" and "pivo".

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:01 pm 

MalignantThrone wrote:
Snowgrave wrote:
I don't know, it sounded cool at the time, I guess.

Aww, really? I liked that one explanation you once gave about it where you said it was implying trapping someone under loads of frozen semen. :(

I....don't remember that. >_>

halfformedfetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:29 am 

mine is the description of a baby that is aprox half way through growing in the mothers womb, to be honest i hate my name on here, but i made it years ago so fuck it who cares, i use LordGoreFreak for everything else because i really love lordgore

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:40 am 

Erdrickgr wrote:
Erdrick was the name of the hero in the early Dragon Quest/Warrior games. I added gr somewhere along the line when Erdrick (by itself) as a username was already taken.

:thumbsup:
I loved those games... I was really original and picked that name for the "Hero" in Dragon Warrior 7, which I never fucking beat, by the way.

Had I known that would leave me stuck with a town called "Erdrville", I probably would've picked a different name...

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:53 am 

Subrick wrote:
The Prometheus B. part comes from the old Nickelodeon show Prometheus and Bob.

Congratulations, you win at everything!

But yeah, mine is just a random phrase from Slayer's War Ensemble. I used to go by The Educated Fool on a few other forums.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:36 am 

Like a few others in this thread I got my nickname from a video game. If you don't know which one you are a false and must not entry.

-edit- I didn't know Thashierthanthou is a previously banned user. Does anybody know who he was? Maybe it's someone I recognize.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

juusokult
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:52 am 

I needed a new username for last.fm a couple of years ago. I was thinking that maybe I should add my first name to it and then the word "cult" popped in my mind.
So I decided to combine it with my first name, change the first letter of "cult" to "K" and it sounded good to me so I started using it at all the forums and websites.

Roxyben
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:21 am 

I am a big Roxy Music fan, and also called Ben. Hence the user name!

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:37 am 

It's my last name, "updated" to have an ass in it. Thought it was hilarious (I was 14, what can I say) when I came up with it for my first email account, and sticked to it ever since so I won't need to memorize any others. So BastardHead, if you thought giving away your email address feels embarrassing...
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

Cinerary
Fuckin' killed a guy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:45 am 

My email address is: [email protected]. I know all about embarrassment. Then again, I've been in the shower with 30 other dudes all the while their Manute Bol's hung to the floor while my Spud Webb just chilled there. Like a scared baby kangaroo afraid to leave it's mothers pouch...

Rotting_Christ_Mike
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:41 pm 

Damn Cinerary, that must have felt bad. :-P

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:19 pm 

back in 2001 i started going to forums on the net. I had to pick a nick and i had, still do actually, a lot of interest in military hardware. The F14 Tomcat was my favorite jet fighter and i wanted to take the nick Tomcat. However that was already taken so i bashed my keyboard and ended with Ha behind it.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:39 pm 

Quote:
back in 2001 i started going to forums on the net. I had to pick a nick and i had, still do actually, a lot of interest in military hardware. The F14 Tomcat was my favorite jet fighter and i wanted to take the nick Tomcat. However that was already taken so i bashed my keyboard and ended with Ha behind it.

The "ha" being arbitrary and everything, does this mean that you're the same Tomcat_ha who posted on the TAUniverse forum?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next