Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:54 pm 

:lol: oh my God, Izalith pre-patch was like having a spider burrow its way into your brain for an hour.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:06 pm 

Numerator_41 wrote:

What was changed about Lost Izalith to make it easier? For me, Dark Souls on release was a bitch because summoning people was basically impossible. Which looking back, wasn't necessarily a horrible thing. I feel like people are kind of missing something when they go through their first playthrough summoning people for every boss.

Aggro range was greatly reduced after the patch. So imagine those big monsters in the lava all swarm on you as soon as you try to progress through the level. It was madness.

The trick was to stay alive and let them hit each other and kill each other. So it wasn't quite cheap but it was ungodly hard.

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:35 pm 

I played Dark Souls pre-patch, so I know what you mean with the getting swarmed thing. That's kind of lame they changed it like that. I always dreaded Lost Izalith and usually did it last because that entire area was a clusterfuck.

Shutdown
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:27 pm 

iAm wrote:
sortalikeadream wrote:
How heavy are the RPG elements in Borderlands? I love RPGs, and am not so enamored with FPS's. I bought Halo: Reach and my roommate plays it way more than I do.

Diablo's loot system and some kind of a cross between Fallout and Ocarina of Time. Someone else could probably give a better answer than me though... I've only been playing for a few days now.

:???:

I can't think of any similarities at all. Borderlands has a few very shallow skill trees, while Fallout has attributes (1 to 10 points), skills (1 to 200), perks (one every three levels) and traits (maximum of two).

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:47 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
It does drag in the middle but got way better when you start fighting the... military guys, whatever they were called. I loved it again from that point on.

It had the worst ending ever, but overall I had a ton of fun with the game. 2's gonna be off the charts.

I had completely forgotten how shocking that ending was. Although I think the ending in Rage was actually worse. I assume Borderland's DLC are post game and have a better ending?

I finally beat Radiant Silvergun after starting it in June. What a great game, the music, gameplay, design were all stellar. Frustration, but the best possible kind. I think my heart almost exploded on the last boss.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:48 pm 

Dandelo wrote:
I assume Borderland's DLC are post game and have a better ending?

Nope, no connection to the main quest.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:50 pm 

Dandelo wrote:
Xeogred wrote:
It does drag in the middle but got way better when you start fighting the... military guys, whatever they were called. I loved it again from that point on.

It had the worst ending ever, but overall I had a ton of fun with the game. 2's gonna be off the charts.

I had completely forgotten how shocking that ending was. Although I think the ending in Rage was actually worse. I assume Borderland's DLC are post game and have a better ending?

I finally beat Radiant Silvergun after starting it in June. What a great game, the music, gameplay, design were all stellar. Frustration, but the best possible kind. I think my heart almost exploded on the last boss.

Good call there. At least Borderlands had a final boss... and an id game of all people, didn't. The whole second half was kind of rushed and whatever.

I never knew Radiant Silvergun was beatable. Dayum.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:29 pm 

I retract my earlier statement about OoT... I'm honestly not sure where I got that from now. Knights of the Old Republic is a better comparison with the way the skill tree is set up.

Shutdown
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:02 pm 

iAm wrote:
I retract my earlier statement about OoT... I'm honestly not sure where I got that from now. Knights of the Old Republic is a better comparison with the way the skill tree is set up.

Knights of the Old Republic didn't have skill trees.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:12 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Dandelo wrote:
I assume Borderland's DLC are post game and have a better ending?

Nope, no connection to the main quest.

I believe the Secret Armory of General Knoxx is post game, although rather loosely. Ending still sucks, though it simply cannot suck any harder than RAGE's ending.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:16 pm 

Shutdown wrote:
iAm wrote:

Knights of the Old Republic didn't have skill trees.

Didn't it? I could be thinking of another Star Wars game.

I also kicked some serious ass in the Blunderdome today... one shot kills on nearly every opponent until the final boss of Hellburbia and I died :annoyed:

swayze
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:28 pm 

Anyone here a fan of 3D platformers? I may be asking at the wrong forum, since I see so much love for dark and gritty games, but I've always had a hard-on for those colorful, superhappy, "collectathon" platformers, like the first 3 Spyro games, the first Jak and Daxter game, Mario 64, etc. You know, bright and varied palettes, a jungle stage, a snow stage, a beach stage, etc. I'm asking because I actually just played through Jak 1 and collected every thing, and I feel like more. I'm pretty sure this is a dead genre now, which is rough. I've heard good things about Sly Cooper, so I was thinking about picking up the HD collection for PS3. I've played Ratchet and Clank and had fun with it, but I prefer no guns (which is why I was never as taken with Jak 2 and 3). I totally missed out on many of the N64 ones: Donkey Kong 64, Conker's Bad Fur Day, etc. Heard they were great, but I'm not sure where I'd find them.

Anyway, any great ones I've missed out on that are easy enough to pick up, if anyone hear also has a soft spot for these types of games?

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:40 pm 

Banjo Kazooi or whatever it was comes to mind. God, I wasted so much time playing that game when I was younger.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:44 pm 

iAm wrote:
Banjo Kazooi or whatever it was comes to mind. God, I wasted so much time playing that game when I was younger.

oi crap .. even WATCHING my friend play that was a waste of life. :(

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:50 pm 

swayze wrote:
Anyone here a fan of 3D platformers? I may be asking at the wrong forum, since I see so much love for dark and gritty games, but I've always had a hard-on for those colorful, superhappy, "collectathon" platformers, like the first 3 Spyro games, the first Jak and Daxter game, Mario 64, etc. You know, bright and varied palettes, a jungle stage, a snow stage, a beach stage, etc. I'm asking because I actually just played through Jak 1 and collected every thing, and I feel like more. I'm pretty sure this is a dead genre now, which is rough. I've heard good things about Sly Cooper, so I was thinking about picking up the HD collection for PS3. I've played Ratchet and Clank and had fun with it, but I prefer no guns (which is why I was never as taken with Jak 2 and 3). I totally missed out on many of the N64 ones: Donkey Kong 64, Conker's Bad Fur Day, etc. Heard they were great, but I'm not sure where I'd find them.

Anyway, any great ones I've missed out on that are easy enough to pick up, if anyone hear also has a soft spot for these types of games?

I probably spent more time on Crash Bandicoot 2 and Spyro 2 and 3 than I did on homework throughout my entire school career. Jak and Daxter is also one of three games I've ever actually gone and completed 100%. Aaaaand I still play them, so yes, I also have a soft spot for these games. I recently beat the first Sly Cooper and thought it was a little too easy (apart from the fucking time challenges, but those are optional), but I'd like the play the next two anyway because that game was charming as hell. And damn son you need to hop on Donkey Kong 64 pronto. That's easily in my top 5 N64 games.

I also couldn't help but notice you're missing my favorite game of all time. So before you get to anything else, drop everything and find a way to get your hands on the one, the only, the mighty:

If I reviewed videogames, this is the only one that would get a 100%. I can not think of one single flaw.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:13 pm 

The music of Xenoblade Chronicles is just untouchable. Can't think of any modern game soundtrack that compares.

I'm shortly after the part when you first hear this music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siB2wggFzGo

And just wow........

This song says "You've been through so damn much, now it's time to reflect, cry if you have to and then compose yourself and move on. There's still a lot more ahead"

Even the "dumb" stuff of the game I like. Like some of the battle soundbites "What a bunch of jokers", "Roly Poly keep on roooollllling!", and "Everybody heal time!" is fun. Because listening to it in context with this battle theme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUKzFYUGbg0

Just makes random fights fun to listen to.

Remember shitty voice acting in games when they first started having vocal dialog but with awesome sounds and music so you didn't care? Yeah that's Xenoblade.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:21 pm 

BastardHead wrote:

If I reviewed videogames, this is the only one that would get a 100%. I can not think of one single flaw.

The predictable characters and the brain-dead voice acting?

It was a fun game, yeah, but good Lord!

swayze
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:50 pm 

Maaaan, my buddy used to RAVE about Ape Escape. I wonder if he still has; if he does, that would be my best bet to track down a copy. In the meantime, I've grabbed that Sly Cooper collection. N64 stuff shouldn't be too hard to find around here, but PSX games are few and far between. (Well, unless they're made by Square).

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:20 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
The predictable characters and the brain-dead voice acting?

It was a fun game, yeah, but good Lord!

The game has what, five characters? They're fine, as is the voice acting, get out, shoo!
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:43 am 

swayze wrote:

Psychonauts. Now.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:53 am 

HellBlazer wrote:
swayze wrote:

Psychonauts. Now.

This is one I've also missed out on, though I have a copy from GoG but it runs like buttocks and has some horrid audio syncing problems, so I didn't get further than that first training mission.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:57 am 

Just pirate it, dude.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:59 am 

BastardHead wrote:
This is one I've also missed out on, though I have a copy from GoG but it runs like buttocks and has some horrid audio syncing problems, so I didn't get further than that first training mission.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/3830/ ... uggest__13 :D

I offer no guarantees that it will run any better (though it works great for me!).

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:01 am 

Or you could just, y'know, pirate it. It's easy and it works fine.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:13 am 

I still have Ape Escape and played it recently. It hasn't aged as well as games like Crash Bandicoot. It's still great fun but the voice acting is so so bad hahaha.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:47 am 

Study about sexism among gamers.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:43 am 

I'm required to play Ultima III: Exodus and analyse it for my current course at university. Fuckin' A!

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

Shutdown
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:05 am 

Ravenlord266 wrote:
I'm required to play Ultima III: Exodus and analyse it for my current course at university. Fuckin' A!

Really? Hopefully it's not the awful console version with shitty JRPG graphics and horribly repetitive music. Here's a few of tips. If you want to make lots of money, grind Death Gulch by entering and exiting so that the cache of gold respawns behind the shop. If you want experience, keep killing the friendly priests in Yew as they re-spawn upon re-entry. Keep a look out for game text that contains words encapsulated in <>, such as "<search> for mystics!" Words such as these represent commands that you have to type in the game. And if you're playing the DOS version (and hopefully you are), make sure you play using this fan patch that adds the music from the Apple II/Commodore 64 versions and upgrades the graphics from CGA to EGA or VGA (your choice).

Oh, and don't be too harsh on it. It's a game from 1983 and the Ultima series really starts with Ultima IV, though Ultima III has the distinction of being the only game in the series to allow you to create a whole party of characters yourself, even if the process is rather simple (the first two games are single character and the later games have you recruit companions). :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIGCm6eEHAc

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:04 am 

It's a course in computer/videogames and we had to draw cards on which games we had to analyse. I've played the whole Ultima series before, some I finished some I didn't, but I'm definitely nót going to play the NES version! Got my Ultima collector's edition and DosBox ready to go. Thanks for the tips, although I doubt I'll be able to finish it by next week, luck of the draw really (my friend drew Duck Hunt).

Looking forward to this! Also, drawing a new game each week, so I'll keep posting here if I need any tips on gameplay or getting shit to run on Windows 7 or something like that.

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:05 pm 

inhumanist wrote:

Interesting, and depressing at the same time. Thanks for posting this.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:22 pm 

I personally never saw blatant sexism in any of the online games I've played. Now, on internet boards....

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:45 pm 

inhumanist wrote:

It's blatantly rampant in this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SLDgPbjp0M

Several times in Monster Hunter 3 I let people just believe I was a girl. I was a girl character and since the Wii online doesn't show your username and other info, your username is whatever you named your character. I got several "Be my girlfriend" type messages. :lol: I was never harassed but I can easily see that it's inevitable for girls.

And as far as the article talks about sticking up for girls, you can easily do that without being a "white knight" or anything. You just make fun of the person for being some virgin loser creep. I haven't done this in games cause I haven't seen it but online forums when I saw sexual harassment that was my approach without being made fun of myself. And who cares if you get made fun of for sticking up for someone? You're doing something right. Right isn't always easy.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:14 pm 

My best friend is a girl gamer, and she gets shit constantly when online. She usually got the "Oh you're a girl playing Call of Duty? You must be hot, here's my info, call me" shit all the time, but since she's moved to League of Legends and Guild Wars 2, she mainly sticks with her friends and thus doesn't hear an awful lot of it anymore. During her Call of Duty days she did get one very interesting voice message that she saved for the creepiness/novelty value. I guess one dude was griefing her really badly, calling her a carpet munching dyke and being rampantly sexist every time she opened her mouth. She eventually tweaked and did the asshole virginy loser tirade and left the match, after which he left this message for her: "Hey bitch, you need to chill out. And I've just gotta know... do your pussy stank? Or do it smell sweet like roses?"

satanic_neumann
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:07 pm 

Kahalachan wrote:
The music of Xenoblade Chronicles is just untouchable. Can't think of any modern game soundtrack that compares.

And just wow........

This song says "You've been through so damn much, now it's time to reflect, cry if you have to and then compose yourself and move on. There's still a lot more ahead"

Even the "dumb" stuff of the game I like. Like some of the battle soundbites "What a bunch of jokers", "Roly Poly keep on roooollllling!", and "Everybody heal time!" is fun. Because listening to it in context with this battle theme

Remember shitty voice acting in games when they first started having vocal dialog but with awesome sounds and music so you didn't care? Yeah that's Xenoblade.

Yes, incredible soundtrack indeed, i finished the game few weeks ago and i still listen soundtrack all the time. No game cant go wrong with Yoko Shimomura and ACE+ battle music. I didn't use dubbed voices that much, accent was great and so on but i prefer orig japanese voices if possible, glad there was an option for that.
I said terrible things about Xenoblade some months ago but i take them back. Its easily the best RPG of this millenia so far, flawless game. Too bad many people will miss it out because the Wii.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4vCEHpv6Hg

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:06 pm 

Kahalachan wrote:

And just wow........

You haven't heard nothing yet... you're a fair chunk into the game, perhaps halfway in (hilarious, but yep let that sink in). Admittedly the second half was more grindy, like one big ass enormous dungeon in a sense, but I loved it. But yeah the game just gets better and better, some of the stuff towards the end is typical Xeno craziness and just fucking epic.

The OST is legendary for sure. It's time Uematsu (Last Story music is completely average at best, holy hell) and others step aside, I want ACE+ to be the future. They did the most of Xenoblade's OST and it's amazing since they haven't done much else, they know what they're doing. Yoko Shimomura and Mitsuda actually only did a few tracks, but perhaps they were there helping out behind the lines as I can see their influences in everything. The ACE+ group and Manami Kiyota did most of the music, good list of credits here:
http://vgmdb.net/album/18946

They also change up the battle themes in the later half, where you're at now I believe. Loved the later songs. The music in certain parts tells its own story, like The Fallen Arm song there... but there's a specific one later on that even blows that one away and tells so much, words aren't needed.

Oh I played in Japanese too, dude you of all people aren't? lol, fucking Vegeta's VA is Dunban. Loved the voices, I saw some of the British dub and it was kind of hilarious, made everyone sound twice their age.

This is probably the best BGM ever, Mechonis Field...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88VUuHcts8Y

It's just straight up there and even better than some of my SNES/PSX favorites I'd say. This is a videogame OST that will stick with me for life.

Shutdown
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:19 pm 

satanic_neumann wrote:
Its easily the best RPG of this millenia so far, flawless game.

Hyperbole?

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:25 pm 

Opinion.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:26 pm 

Oh man. Back in the day I used to get so much free shit on Runescape by baiting people. One goon even gave me a full set of gold plated Rune armor :lol:

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:59 pm 

i still feel compelled to play Runescape over 11 years after I started. Add me: Poopingman

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:00 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
Poopingman

Running Man's ill-fated younger brother.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 441, 442, 443, 444, 445, 446, 447 ... 940  Next