Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MalariaMosquito
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:45 pm 

Called "One Man Metal," the film maker interviews Wrest (Leviathan), Sin Nanna (Striborg), and Malefic (Xasthur) about their projects.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQl6PzXU4cQ
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sbhA78RO5E
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHyMK0ADw_8

Last edited by MalariaMosquito on Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:54 pm 

Noisey has a lot of good videos and of of total shit. Glad you found this video though.

IdiotFlesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:54 pm 

Wow. Really interesting stuff. I like all of what they say about the band members being isolated and taking musical inspiration from that. I liked what Malefic said about the music being about him when he's in the composition/recording process, and it not having anything to do with fans.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:57 pm 

Actually really interesting. Sweet find.

MalariaMosquito
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:00 am 

IdiotFlesh wrote:
I liked what Malefic said about the music being about him when he's in the composition/recording process, and it not having anything to do with fans.

I wish more recording artists thought this way instead of pandering to what they thought the fans wanted.

Regarding Malefic, It's somehow appropriate to see the state he's in -- broke and alone, essentially addicted to making music, even though it's completely unprofitable. At least you know that his music is honest.

When the narrator said this is the first he's ever been recorded without corpse paint, it made me worried. He sounded down and dejected in the interview. He told the narrator he blew the last of his money on a new guitar, and based on how poor he seemed to feel about himself, it felt like he was starting to crack a little bit under his lifestyle. To me it felt like he was trying to break away from a debilitating addiction.

Anyway, that's just my interpretation of a five-minute edited clip. Probably not representative, and hopefully not, but we'll see. Any armchair psychiatrists want to weigh in?

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:25 am 

My experience with one-man black metal is sadly limited but this is a really insightful documentary. I'll have to see how this one develops and if they have any other bands in mind. It'd be amusing to hear some contributions from dear old Varg...

VRR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:03 am 

I don't know, I found these people incredibly phony and quite weak and emo to be honest.
Thanks for posting it, as it gives a new insight into what some people into black metal are getting up to these days...

ld50
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:23 am 

Phony? I'm not sure what you were watching, but I saw the complete opposite. I like black metal and black metal themes, when used in conjunction with the music a lot, but if you think that the veil of corpse paint, evil, satan, etc is genuine when it comes to most black metal artists, you are quite likely mistaken. Are most artists really wrapped up in the themes that they are presenting in their music or is it a result of what is generally accepted in Black metal?

I'm not sure how much more honest music can get than that which comes from solitude.

I'm not sure how appropriate it would be, but I hope that this delves into the alleged charges and probation that Wrest was up against and how it has affected the music and his life.

VRR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:38 am 

I saw this and I just got the gut impression that these guys were phonies who have comfortable but pathetic lives but they go searching for misery as a way to sell records and validate themselves. Maybe not, but who knows? Only people who know them in real life....

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:24 am 

Pretty interestnig, if not exactly what I expected. Leviathan is my favourite out of those three bands.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:54 am 

So, is the movie made by one man?

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:10 pm 

Aye poor choice of grammar for the title.

Awesome so far though. As a guy whose projects are all on man I can understand the dynamic.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:56 pm 

Troll from Succorbenoth said before that he was interviewed for this. Nice to see it's finally being released.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:07 pm 

That was surprisingly non-shitty. I wasn't expecting Malefic to look like that and be so awkward. Looking forward to the other parts.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

jute
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:09 pm 

I don't listen any of these guys save for Striborg, but I enjoyed watching this. I understand the feeling of isolation and the way that it is compounded when people's reactions to your work have little in common with your own understanding of it. I look forward to the remainder of the series.

deicidefan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:29 pm 

why do one man bands need stage names and project names. Why doesn't Scott Conner just call himself Xasthur or call Xasthur, Malefic?

DeadXManiac wrote:
Benton's the T-Pain of death metal.

#ONLYSLAMISREAL

syx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:45 pm 

I really enjoyed this, am looking forward to the rest of the documentary!

Malefic seems ever so awkward, it does seem that the solitude has really got to him. Sin Nanna seems like a really nice guy, was impressed with his drumming, I had presumed he used a drum machine. Did Wrest seem awkward or was he off his face or something?

why
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:10 pm 

deicidefan wrote:
why do one man bands need stage names and project names. Why doesn't Scott Conner just call himself Xasthur or call Xasthur, Malefic?

Come on now, is that a serious question? Can't they do whatever the hell they want? Why doesn't he call Xasthur Scott Conner, anyways?

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:39 pm 

This has been, albiet only fifteen-minutes so far, one of the better metal documentaries I've ever seen; I'll also definitely be checking out Xasthur and Striborg now, too.

I really admired Malefic's determination and clear love of playing instruments, when it came to the part where he said something to the effect of "I'll try to play any instrument, and if I can't, I'll figure out how".

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:13 pm 

I'm already halfway to living the way those guys do. I just have to move out of my parent's house. Can't wait...

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:17 pm 

I'd never heard of Striborg before watching this and I hadn't listened to much Leviathan or Xasthur. I plan to give all three a listen after watching this.

maxxpower
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:28 pm 

Malefic sleeps with a stuffed animal, I saw it on his bed. Also, I expected Wrest to have a cooler voice.

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:45 pm 

I am pretty impressed by this, especially with Malefic. I don't get the impression that he's putting on airs or trying to be something he's not. He's just a normal, awkward, dark individual who is able to channel that into music. I see a lot of myself in the way he talks and moves, except I don't have the talent or drive to put that into music like he does. I think his personality completely fits what I hoped he would be like.

ravagingthemassacred
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:01 pm 

Looking forward to the other parts. If he interviews Lustre I will be very happy.

Crypt Infektor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:44 pm 

I enjoyed Sin Nanna's segment, even though it was a bit short.

t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:43 am 

Probably the best documentary footage I've seen relating to black metal. Tasteful, involves important people, and no bullshit.

Crypt Infektor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:29 am 

t1337Dude wrote:
Probably the best documentary footage I've seen relating to black metal. Tasteful, involves important people, and no bullshit.

I still cringe at "Celtic Frost/Venom" and "blastbeats" being used in the same sentence though.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:58 am 

Eh, they helped create the genre. I'll give him a free pass on that.

amitoz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:15 am 

this was awesome, cant wait for the other parts, i listen to all 3 but primarily found out about dsbm due to ordering striborg from southen lord. cool to see Sin Nanna in his everyday state as pics of him were few and kind of ridiculous lol

Line 6 Spider 4

http://www.last.fm/user/amitoj84

"died for me well too bad i dont believe"

Mike_235
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:21 am 

Pretty much how I expected these guys to be, geeky and socially awkward. It would be cool if he also interviewed the Elysian Blaze and Trist.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:05 am 

I don't know about how distant from society the latter two are, but didn't Wrest have a girlfriend? Granted, that didn't go so well, but hey, you can't be THAT isolated if you have a girlfriend.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:57 am 

Poisonfume wrote:
I don't know about how distant from society the latter two are, but didn't Wrest have a girlfriend? Granted, that didn't go so well, but hey, you can't be THAT isolated if you have a girlfriend.

You'd be surprised.

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:57 pm 

I don't care much for the bands that are mentioned in the documentary part I, but i'd prefer if he didn't interview the guy from Elysian Blaze (I don't think this is going to happen, but you never know), since that would ruin the whole image and mystery of the band.

altered_state
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:24 pm 

Poisonfume wrote:

I always inferred from this interview that Scott Connor had a wife too...

http://www.heathenharvest.com/article.p ... 1115635346

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:28 pm 

Malefic looks like a cancer patient, damn.
I don't care about these bands, but the bit about Striborg and Xasthur was insteresting. The dedication Malefic has to his music made me respect him a bit more. As for Wrest, well, I still don't give a shit about him.

optimusjamie
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:22 pm 

'One Man' bands are probably one of the most interesting aspects of black metal, being as they are the culture of BM taken to its logical extreme- as the documentary said, they don't just scream/sing/whatever you want to call it about isolation and darkness, they live it.

altered_state
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:40 pm 

optimusjamie wrote:
'One Man' bands are probably one of the most interesting aspects of black metal, being as they are the culture of BM taken to its logical extreme- as the documentary said, they don't just scream/sing/whatever you want to call it about isolation and darkness, they live it.

Actually it's for this reason that I think the interviews were too short. The Striborg one sort of touched on this when he talked about too much isolation, but Striborg has collaborated with people before. He was in some death metal bands I've never bothered to check out, but the example I was thinking about was the live performance(s?) with Pentemple. Must've been interesting for him. Likewise, Scott Connor briefly had other people in Xasthur who I guess he got on with to some degree and also collaborated with the guys from Sunn O))) too.

As for the other parts, it would be interesting to hear from Ildjarn again...

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:11 pm 

That was pretty interesting. I agree, I pictured Wrest having a much deeper voice. I also expected the Striborg dude to be a lot weirder. And yeah, didn't expect Malefic to look like that at all. Judging by what has been said about him, I expected him to be more awkward and withdrawn. I remember someone in Twilight (I think it was either Wrest or Blake Judd) referring to him as a head case. I'm not sure if I can take him seriously when he says people should look into killing themselves.

maxxpower
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:01 am 

Wrest looks like Al Pacino in Serpico.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:03 am 

Hahahahaha.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next