Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BlakWulfaz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:21 pm 

Look, I understand that there are "guidelines" and whatnot that the website requires, but "to vague" the words "great" and "killer" are reasons for a rejected review? Really? A review is the opinion of the listener and that is what it should be. The initial reaction put into words is the first honest thought and should not have to be "rejected" and re-written or improved upon just to meet standards of some website. I think that if someone takes the time to write a review for an album for all to read and base an opinion on whether or not that album would be for them or not, then that first initial reaction written into words should be accepted as an honest, unbiased opinion of the music in subject.

But that is just my two cents.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:26 pm 

Feel free to write for other websites if you don't agree with our guidelines. It's really that simple.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Akerfeldt_Fanboi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:31 pm 

It's always possible that the initial reaction that you wrote is in fact a biased approach, first of all. Secondly, 2005 seemed to be around the time when the words 'killer' and 'great' were enough to get a review posted here, but the overall quality standards have improved. I, for one, am glad because usually when my reviews are rejected and I look back on them I smack myself in the head and wonder, "the fuck was I smoking?"

Moderating reviews with the guidelines in mind is important, because if not then reviews like "MMMMM... bacon - 100%" would be accepted. That's going pretty far in the total shit category, but it's better for the mods to have a critical eye rather than just take anything that passes over totally unbearable. Consider them standards, and not guidelines, if that makes you feel any better.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:48 pm 

BlakWulfaz wrote:
Look, I understand that there are "guidelines" and whatnot that the website requires, but "to vague" the words "great" and "killer" are reasons for a rejected review? Really? A review is the opinion of the listener and that is what it should be. The initial reaction put into words is the first honest thought and should not have to be "rejected" and re-written or improved upon just to meet standards of some website. I think that if someone takes the time to write a review for an album for all to read and base an opinion on whether or not that album would be for them or not, then that first initial reaction written into words should be accepted as an honest, unbiased opinion of the music in subject.

But that is just my two cents.

Let me tell you a little story about a boy named Gunther.

A very long time ago (2006, I think), I wrote a few reviews for this site that were rejected. Instead of complaining, I decided to follow the guidelines to the letter even though I was skeptical about my reviews. I today have 450+ reviews and moderate our review queue.

My point: we do not hate you. However, we expect a standard. Do your best to write reviews if you wish and take advice from rejections.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:19 am 

There's a difference between "first, honest thoughts" and a good review, unfortunately. Take more time in the future to develop your thoughts and expand them into a better description of the music, and your use of words like "killer" won't be a problem at all. Hell, I use "killer" all the time.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:24 am 

They have a stench of advertising to them ... Btw., you may want to consider your ratings. There is a life beyond 90%+.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

BlakWulfaz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:14 am 

Advertising? How is enjoying a great album then writing my thoughts on it advertising?

I don't hardly review shit music sooo of course all my reviews are good haha

You can read any of my reviews and see they are well written and thought out rather than "uhhhh this is AWESUM AND SOOO GOOODD"

oh well. haha

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:48 am 

I think the advertising idea is coming from lines like this:

Quote:
To conclude, when this album is released, it is HIGHLY recommend from us here at Absolute Hell. These guys deserve the support for crafting such a phenomenal piece of music. It will be available from WAR PRODUCTIONS this year 2012 as a jewelcase, digipack, and digital download.

Frankly, it sounds like a descriptor line at a webstore.

oneyoudontknow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm 

BlakWulfaz wrote:
Advertising? How is enjoying a great album then writing my thoughts on it advertising?

Let me show you what I mean:
http://www.metal-archives.com/users/WSi ... en_reviews

You cannot possibly take someone like this serious. So many 100%? Ridiculous. All perfect? Nonsense ... My overall average is somewhat around 60%, with over 550 written reviews. Where is yours? You need to balance it all out and be critical; praising all over excess brings it all do the level of childish ramblings.

My podcast:

HeySharpshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:09 am 

oneyoudontknow wrote:
BlakWulfaz wrote:

Let me show you what I mean:
http://www.metal-archives.com/users/WSi ... en_reviews

You cannot possibly take someone like this serious. So many 100%? Ridiculous. All perfect? Nonsense ... My overall average is somewhat around 60%, with over 550 written reviews. Where is yours? You need to balance it all out and be critical; praising all over excess brings it all do the level of childish ramblings.

Not defending the person who wrote those reviews or anything, but I never really thought of 100% being "perfect." At least it isn't for me.

Sometimes, I give 100% because a particular album might be truly amazing for the year it was released, or in comparison to other releases in the genre that year or in previous years. I think perfection should be shown through the actual written review, and not the score.

That said, I suppose if your reviews are specifically for MA, then using 100% as perfect makes sense(though I'll never understand the difference between a scores like 72% and 76%...)

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:05 am 

That particular person is, as pointed out by someone earlier, probably a label drone. All of his 90% and 100% reviews are on releases from a single label, and the two low Horna ratings are just badly applied camouflage to hide the fact; they are also the only ones on any other label. Disregard the opinions if you feel like it, I personally categorize him among probable band members reviewing their own stuff.

BlakWulfaz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:04 pm 

Non of the music I review are on the same label LOL The bands I review are bands I enjoy simple as that. The bad reviews are reviews I have to review for the website I write for. lol

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:56 pm 

Your signature is way too long. Please remove some of it, or put at least two URLs together on one line, or something.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:11 pm 

BlakWulfaz wrote:
Non of the music I review are on the same label LOL The bands I review are bands I enjoy simple as that. The bad reviews are reviews I have to review for the website I write for. lol

Not you, you son of a silly person...

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:18 am 

Are you reviewing your own album or plagiarizing this one?
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/C ... BlakWulfaz

oneyoudontknow

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:47 pm 

Napero wrote:
That particular person is, as pointed out by someone earlier, probably a label drone.

By me ... I remembered this troll when I read this topic.

My podcast:

BlakWulfaz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:51 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
Are you reviewing your own album or plagiarizing this one?
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/C ... BlakWulfaz

I posted it myself since nobody else would lol

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:59 pm 

You do realize plagiarism is a bannable offense, right? Regardless of whether you credit it or not, if you did not write it, do not post it.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:02 am 

He's already banned. Also, I'm editing his sig since he's too dumb to edit it after being asked nicely.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Reply to topic