Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MalariaMosquito
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:47 pm 

According to ABC News, Disney just bought LucasFilm, and have announced Star Wars: Episode 7 for 2015, with intent to make more sequels. I used to be a massive Star Wars fan, and I've read practically all the post-Episode 6 novels and comics, so this announcement kind of rocks my world. That being said, recent history doesn't exactly inspire confidence, judging by the prequels and Clone Wars TV show. And Disney? Marvel Studios operates independently enough, but they've basically turned Pixar into another "Disney Princess" generator, so I don't know what to expect there.

My best case scenario is that they try to film the "Thrawn Trilogy," hire some good screenwriters, cast well, and keep it as far away from George Lucas as possible, but I don't exactly have high hopes. Anyway, what are your reactions to this?

Source: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/20 ... 4-billion/

swayze
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:49 pm 

I remain... cautious.

Metalfuckingrules
The Ralph Wiggum Monologue

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:57 pm 

Star Wars fanboys: get ready to burn all of your Star Wars merchandise (if you are angered about this).

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:57 pm 

There has been a great disturbance in the force.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:58 pm 

I've got a bad feeling about this...

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:01 pm 

iAm wrote:

This is perfect :lol:

Wow will this be bad.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:06 pm 

MalariaMosquito wrote:
keep it as far away from George Lucas as possible

This.
I think this is gonna be an improvement.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Ecliptik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:08 pm 

Christ. I am so sick of remakes/superhero films/sequels I can't even stand it. iAm summed it up perfectly.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:11 pm 

Metalfuckingrules wrote:
Star Wars fanboys: get ready to burn all of your Star Wars merchandise (if you are angered about this).

Can't wait to see a CG version of the Millennium Falcon blasting into the Death Star! :thumbsdown:

swayze
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:13 pm 

iAm wrote:

CorpseFister wrote:

Haha, well done, both of you.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:19 pm 

It's a trerp.
:oh shit:

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:23 pm 

Metalfuckingrules wrote:

Either way, they can't be nearly as bad as Episodes 1 and 2

I hope... :oh shit:

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:25 pm 

What redeems 3?

~Guest 293033
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:28 pm 

Disney film studio- you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:32 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
What redeems 3?

Even though it wasn't the greatest, I found it vastly more interesting than the previous two episodes. Granted, the last time I saw any of them was when I was 13, so my opinion could very well change should I choose to watch the new episodes again. Which will probably be never.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:41 pm 

LlamaTrainer wrote:
inhumanist wrote:
What redeems 3?

Even though it wasn't the greatest, I found it vastly more interesting than the previous two episodes. Granted, the last time I saw any of them was when I was 13, so my opinion could very well change should I choose to watch the new episodes again. Which will probably be never.

You have very selective memory, because that movie is also a turd. Really bad acting, pacing, cgi-crapfest of illogical plots and characters. The dialog is astoundingly bad, and the ending wrap-up was like a forced tie-in. I forced myself to watch an edited version (was like 86 minutes), and even then it was still damn bad.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:46 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
What redeems 3?

Wookies.

I agree with Apu though, fuck Hayden Christensen! The duel at the end is great though. I don't have high hopes for the new movie, I'll wait for the details (if they'll go with the old, yes old is very appropriate, cast or a new fresh one and what will be the storyline). Lucas' minimal involvement is a good thing. I'll quote what my friend BastardHead said on facebook:

Quote:
Also apparently Lucas is on board as a "creative consultant", which to be fair, is essentially what he was with the original trilogy and Raiders of the Lost Ark. People filter his batshit stupid ideas and good things happen, he spews out stuff unsifted and we get some of the most laughable crap imaginable

This. The truth. Thanks Mike.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:50 pm 

The possibility of successfully navigating an asteroid field is approximately 3,720 to 1. Which is also about the same possibility they have of not fucking up Star Wars more than they already have.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:53 pm 

Against Such Things wrote:
Disney film studio- you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

Sold to a Sith Lord (Disney in this case).

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:56 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
You have very selective memory, because that movie is also a turd. Really bad acting, pacing, cgi-crapfest of illogical plots and characters. The dialog is astoundingly bad, and the ending wrap-up was like a forced tie-in. I forced myself to watch an edited version (was like 86 minutes), and even then it was still damn bad.

If I watched it again now, I'd probably agree with you. The last time I saw it was when I was barely on the cusp of puberty, so I can't really expect much in the way of film taste from my 13 year-old self.
Metantoine wrote:
I don't have high hopes for the new movie

Who knows? With our expectations lowered by the prequel trilogy, maybe the new one will be great in comparison!

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:14 pm 

Does anyone else think that this has all been a fluke to compete against the Hobbit trilogy coming up?

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:17 pm 

LlamaTrainer wrote:
Metantoine wrote:
I don't have high hopes for the new movie

Who knows? With our expectations lowered by the prequel trilogy, maybe the new one will be great in comparison!

Doubtful the thing that made the original trilogy so amazing was the cast and the cutting edge special effects of the time, Star Wars started to suck balls when they released special edition and only got worse from there. Out of the second trilogy in my opinion it starts bad and only gets worse with each new movie and the addition of all the new and improved cgi and other bullshit that gets crammed into movies now days. If Star Wars has any chance of being good again it'd damn well better have good plot, good actors, good writers, and absolutely no 3D or double back flipping cgi Yoda battles or anything comparable.

Azmodes wrote:

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:39 pm 

I don't consider myself to be anything close to a fan of the franchise myself, so I'll admit I'm probably missing whatever it'd actually take for someone to even care about this. I still kinda have to wonder, with the large amount of other forms of media (books, tv shows, video games, whatever) that have taken place in the same setting, is this really that big of an idea?

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:47 pm 

I think Disney is able to make entertaining movies that aren't painfully stupid, therefore I'm carefully optimistic about this.

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:01 pm 

I've never felt bad for liking the prequel films, I just like them. However, I'll admit they're very faulted and have problems. I really don't have high standards for films (I actually like Jaws 3D).

As far as this goes, I'm on the fence. Even if I like these films, I'd prefer to like films that are good instead of having problems. Then again, Disney somehow made Avengers work. So we'll see what happens.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:03 pm 

CorpseFister wrote:

*Shoots floor, world heaves*

MalariaMosquito
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:53 pm 

There is the possibility that Disney releases the original films remastered on Blu Ray. They have a history of doing that with their other films. So, there's that.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:53 pm 

I have a feeling this will resemble Avatar visually.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:01 pm 

Poisonfume wrote:
I have a feeling this will resemble Avatar visually.

Well, the special effects of Avatar is the only good thing about this movie.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:12 pm 

MalariaMosquito wrote:
According to ABC News, Disney just bought LucasFilm, and have announced Star Wars: Episode 7 for 2015, with intent to make more sequels.

They're finally getting serious to finding this nemo critter then :boring:

Adjonis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:15 pm 

Seeing as it is quite literally impossible for them to fuck Star Wars up any more than Lucas already has, I'm finding it hard to find anything wrong with this.

Also, if this means a revival of the old Lucasarts adventure games, then I'm all over this shit.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:23 pm 

MalariaMosquito wrote:
There is the possibility that Disney releases the original films remastered on Blu Ray. They have a history of doing that with their other films. So, there's that.

But if they do that then I'll have to buy it and then I'll own Star Wars on Vhs, Dvd, the newest Blu Ray box set and then yet another set of Blu Rays because lord knows I'm gonna buy the orignal so I can watch that instead of special edition

Azmodes wrote:

Commandaunt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:35 pm 

Eh, whatever keeps star wars alive. I'm all for it, as long as its not another gay xbox kinect game (The hardest I laughed all year was at that ridiculous dance central ripoff with lando). I hope they go CGI with the new movies, similar to the swtor trailers.

Also...I loved episode one .. :(

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:48 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
:nazi:Wookies.:nazi:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Wookiee

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:13 pm 

Wow, just when I thought the original trilogy couldn't be any more tarnished by reworking and cgi, along comes this brick sandwich. I knew it was inevitable but somehow I never thought it would sink this low. I find it odd that people are genuinely excited for more of these movies, wasn't episode 1,2 and 3 enough reason to see that a new one will be bad, with or without Lucas, it's destined for failure.

Last edited by volutetheswarth on Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:15 pm 

This will suck and I won't go see it. Anyone who thinks it won't is just a big fan with some wishful thinking. That said, if it has AT-AT's, I'll rent it. Because those are the coolest.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:01 pm 

The AT-AT laser sound is the best thing.

But yeah, EFF DIS MOVIE, AND I'VE HAD ENOUGH OF LUCAS!

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:40 pm 

So, is this sequel going to have the original cast members, or will they get new folks to play Skywalker et al.? I mean, it sounds like if they continue with the characters at all, they've hit a shitstopper: the original cast is too old at hindsight, and new cast members might taint the chemistry of the original crew. That's if they use the original characters at all.

As much as I love Star Wars (I was fucking raised on it), I'm feeling like this is going to tank. Again, it's too soon to tell obviously, but I'm skeptical.

Han Solo is my favorite movie character ever :aww: Please don't touch him Disney...please.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Errebuss
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:20 pm 

As someone who actually really likes the prequels, I'm curious to see what happens here, though I can't say I'm completely excited yet. Lucas said it best that with Episode III, the series is over. His original idea had Vader live on into the sequel trilogy, with Luke not realizing he had a sister (who wasn't Leia) until Episode VII. But now, we have the Sith killed off, the Empire was toppled, and balance has been brought to the force. Star Wars was the story of Anakin and Luke and that's over now.

I can only think of two plot arcs for this sequel trilogy that haven't already been resolved: the rebuilding of the Republic and Luke reinstating the Jedi order. So they could bring back the original characters. Luke would be an older, wiser Jedi. Leia could be a diplomat or a senator. Not sure what else could happen though.

EDIT: Just in case anyone isn't aware yet and just saw "New Star Wars films" and thought "Ohhh boo LUCAS BOOOO," understand that Lucas has stepped down, so these new films will NOT be written, directed, or produced by him.

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:31 pm 

What good has come from Star Wars since 1983? Hell, make that 1980 if you want. And all the good from before then, Luca$ has practically dedicated his life to ruining with pointless misguided alterations in the name of money.

The whole "franchise" has sucked longer than I've been alive. The last three films were so horrendous, they make Michael Bay films look good. Actually good, not just comparatively. Saying the third was better than the two before is about as close to praise as a racial slur.

If there's one hope for anything positive to come of this, it's that Luca$ might not be at the helm again. That motherfucker couldn't direct Jared to Subway. And I've written better scripts on toilet paper, and I don't mean with a pen.

As much as I love the original trilogy, I fear (and hope, for that matter) that it's all I'll ever love from Star Wars. That, and the Red Letter Media reviews.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next