Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:10 pm 

Recently I discovered how vinegar can be used in many alternative ways - as a cleaner, keeping hair looking shiny and healthy, helping relieve asthma, coughs and colds, helping eczema sufferers, as a deodorant - it has many many uses.
Hannibal Barca even relied on it when crossing the mountains to fight the Roman Empire.

Lemons are also useful for keeping in the fridge for stopping smells, cleaning limescale off taps even adding a small amount to dishwater to dissolve grease.

There must be many other ordinary household ingredients that can be used for all sorts of things, if you know any please share them here.

Littlewolf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:35 pm 

baking soda (or bicarbonate soda) can be used to clean just about anything (kitchen, bathroom, silverware), as a teeth-whitener, and a powerful odour remover...

tolerancezero666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:48 pm 

-

Last edited by tolerancezero666 on Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:54 pm 

Plain peanut butter works great for shaving. I also heard that broccoli makes for good earplugs.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:29 pm 

mindshadow wrote:
Recently I discovered how vinegar can be used in many alternative ways - as a cleaner, keeping hair looking shiny and healthy, helping relieve asthma, coughs and colds, helping eczema sufferers, as a deodorant - it has many many uses.
Hannibal Barca even relied on it when crossing the mountains to fight the Roman Empire.

That's great, except we aren't Carthaginians. Put vinegar in your hair or use it as a deodorant and you'll be walking around all day smelling like vinegar. Or a wino. Vinegar belongs in salads or on chips, or on Chinese dumplings.

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:44 pm 

a small cup of coffee powder in the fridge also kills unwanted smells from other open products

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:10 pm 

kingnuuuur wrote:
Plain peanut butter works great for shaving. I also heard that broccoli makes for good earplugs.

This made me laugh hard. I award you one internet.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:11 pm 

kingnuuuur wrote:

Do you have any idea how long it took me to get fucking peanut butter out of my pubes. :nono:

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:31 pm 

Hahahaha, I think kingnuuuur wins this thread.

On a serious note though, if you put cat litter in socks, and then place those socks into your shoes, it will eliminate bad odors.

spoonhead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:48 pm 

Have to agree vinegar is pretty useful. Its good at deodorizing the smell of dog piss if youre house training a dog. Also cleans mineral deposits that appear as white spots on your cooking pots if you have hard water in your area.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:22 pm 

Pretty much any kind of Cola is the best way to dissolve bodies when you haven't got any lye around. Plus you can keep cans of it in the same freezer you stuff limbs in.

mindshadow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:07 am 

waiguoren wrote:
That's great, except we aren't Carthaginians. Put vinegar in your hair or use it as a deodorant and you'll be walking around all day smelling like vinegar. Or a wino. Vinegar belongs in salads or on chips, or on Chinese dumplings.

I thought that, but there are different types of vinegar as well as malt vinegar, plus you dilute it with water and the smell quickly goes, though I admit I haven't tried it on my hair yet.

grauer_mausling wrote:
a small cup of coffee powder in the fridge also kills unwanted smells from other open products

I didn't know that, these are the sort of tips I'm hoping to discover (and the cola, salt and baking soda tips above)

Thiestru wrote:
Hahahaha, I think kingnuuuur wins this thread.

On a serious note though, if you put cat litter in socks, and then place those socks into your shoes, it will eliminate bad odors.

I read this one last night, after I'd already tipped 2lbs of loose salt into my old walking boots :)

I'm sure Kingnuuuur writes in to the letters page of Viz :lol:
anyone know a good way of removing peanut butter from a razor cartridge :grumble:

kapala
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:44 am 

Vinegar and bicarbonate are the best cleaning products. Vodka works pretty good too, and is a disinfectant. Your stove will never look cleaner. :lol:
You can make just about anything from coconut oil, from polishing furniture to making toothpaste.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:40 am 

Peroxide is good for a lot of shit.

I use it to kill mold and disinfect counters and grimey crevices. I also use it as an oral rinse. Let it stay in your mouth for a good minute or two. Does a great job of tooth-whitening.

I've even used it to deodorize my pits on those days (there are many) where I am too depressed/apathetic to shower, but am sick of smelling my week-old armpit marinade. It works, too... you don't even need to leave the comfort of your darkened bedroom... just scrub dry with the dirty laundry that surely everyone else has on their floors.

I've heard urine has a lot of uses too...

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:42 am 

kapala wrote:
Vinegar and bicarbonate are the best cleaning products. Vodka works pretty good too, and is a disinfectant. Your stove will never look cleaner. :lol:
You can make just about anything from coconut oil, from polishing furniture to making toothpaste.

Why waste vodka on anything but self-intoxication, though?
I'm seriously asking... :|

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:26 am 

Yeah why waste a fine liquor like vodka? Indeed... :roll:

I heard you can use white wine to clean red wine stains. Wouldn't try the reversal though.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:14 am 

Aye. Why waste a fine liquor like vodka when you can by stuff that won't get you drunk and clean more efficiently for cheaper?!?!?! He's crazy!

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:28 am 

CF_Mono wrote:
Pretty much any kind of Cola is the best way to dissolve bodies when you haven't got any lye around. Plus you can keep cans of it in the same freezer you stuff limbs in.

It's also good for removing long-dried blood stains and the smell of rot around your house. It will make the floor all sticky though.

tolerancezero666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:16 pm 

I boiled coca-cola in a burned pan and then it was very easy to wash off the black crap
sorry for the limited english. I'm sure you understand what i'm saying anyway

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:16 pm 

your typical gritty laundry detergent is great for cleaning oven racks.

put the racks in the bath, run hot water deep enough to cover them, add laundry detergent, and leave them overnight.
all that stubborn baked-on crap will wipe off effortlessly in the morning.

Hircine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:24 pm 

tolerancezero666 wrote:
I boiled coca-cola in a burned pan and then it was very easy to wash off the black crap
sorry for the limited english. I'm sure you understand what i'm saying anyway

Non. Je ne parle pas français. Retour au Canada, immigrants sale.

Wolfgong wrote:
By the way I am straight and male and get a kick outta tricking chicks to get into their pussy

Krav
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:16 am 

inhumanist wrote:
I heard you can use white wine to clean red wine stains.

I've done this before on white carpet with very good results. I can't tell where the red was spilled unless I'm really looking for it.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:57 am 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
Aye. Why waste a fine liquor like vodka when you can by stuff that won't get you drunk and clean more efficiently for cheaper?!?!?!

That stuff will totally get you drunk too. Also: Sick.
And that brings us to another use for many household ingredients: Drugs. You can make drugs out of them.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:25 am 

orionmetalhead wrote:
kingnuuuur wrote:

Do you have any idea how long it took me to get fucking peanut butter out of my pubes. :nono:

Hahahaha! This thread rules. Fits in well for the metal homemaker =D

I recently got to know that you can keep your cut flowers fresher by adding Sprite to the water where you place the flowers. Apart from that, I kinda knew about the effect of salt on coffee.

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:23 am 

shouvince wrote:
you can keep your cut flowers fresher by adding Sprite to the water where you place the flowers..

actually just adding some plain sugar has the same effect (my wife says ;) )

Further: some shaving foam coupled with a slight bit of carbonated soda water is great for removing nasty stains from clothing/textile. Not completely but after that a normal washing machine gets the rest out of it.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:45 am 

inhumanist wrote:
And that brings us to another use for many household ingredients: Drugs. You can make drugs out of them.

Indeed. Meth is stupidly easy to make.

slayerhatesusall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:06 pm 

Never tried it, but the spice nutmeg can get you high.

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:27 pm 

That is such a stupid myth.

Last.fm

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:25 pm 

slayerhatesusall wrote:
Never tried it, but the spice nutmeg can get you high.

Fucked up and sick sounds more accurate, I don't know from personal experience. The trip reports I read didn't sound all that alluring...

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:08 am 

I have actually tried it.

Motherfucking awful.

And it was fresh, handground nutmeg, carefully weighed, portioned and encapsulated.

Motherfucking. Awful.

The "Body load" basically just felt like the flu without the physical symptoms. I had to skip all of my classes the next day and missed a psychology exam. And since I couldn't get a sick pass, it made the rest of the semester a nightmare trying to make up for it.

Mother.Fucking.Awe.Ful.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

mindshadow

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:11 am 

When I started this thread I probably should've mentioned that I'm only interested in the "boring" uses for stuff lying around the kitchen/home, if people (younger readers/posters) think they can make a bomb, or concoct a strange brew from mum's kitchen, they may cause themselves some serious irreversible harm, or worse..

Reading the above few posts I just wonder where this thread may be heading, and being carted off to a pathologist after O.Ding on nutmeg doesn't sound the most metal way to go o_O

In other news, the boots I filled with salt, which I thought were ruined with sea water, now smell almost fine again :)

kale100
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:15 pm 

Cat nip can be used as insect repellent or mixed with tea to produce a calming effect.

StalUlv
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:19 pm 

Salt and isopropyl rubbing alcohol make for a great cleaning combination. You can use it to clean tough stove top messes and cut through grime and grease. In addition, if there is any container that is hard to clean, like bottles or travel mug lids, you can shake it around in it to clean everything inside. Seeing as how this thread got to talk of drugs, salt and isopropyl rubbing alcohol can clean out our "water pipes" and other smoking utensils, instead of buying expensive "water pipe" cleaners.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:41 pm 

StalUlv wrote:
Salt and isopropyl rubbing alcohol make for a great cleaning combination. You can use it to clean tough stove top messes and cut through grime and grease. In addition, if there is any container that is hard to clean, like bottles or travel mug lids, you can shake it around in it to clean everything inside. Seeing as how this thread got to talk of drugs, salt and isopropyl rubbing alcohol can clean out our "water pipes" and other smoking utensils, instead of buying expensive "water pipe" cleaners.

better to just use baking soda, though, right? I mean...you don't want your drinking bottle to stink of alcohol and salt. (of course, I've never seen rubbing alcohol (not a household thing for me), so...maybe it has no smell?

beeneNOLAdoobie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:33 am 

Littlewolf wrote:
baking soda (or bicarbonate soda) can be used to clean just about anything (kitchen, bathroom, silverware), as a teeth-whitener, and a powerful odour remover...

a teaspoon of baking soda can also be used to relieve stomach pain, gas, general stomach discomfort. its one of the main ingredients in Alka Seltzer... which I think has actually saved my life a couple of times hah

Zakillah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:21 am 

kingnuuuur wrote:
inhumanist wrote:

Indeed. Meth is stupidly easy to make.

If you dont mind blowing yourself up, sure. You wouldnt be the first one.

You can use Cola for cleaning clogged drains. Cleaning tabs for artificial teeth also works, if for some reason you have that at home.

FrizzySkernip
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:23 pm 

I wonder how many natives are lurking this thread looking for a quick high.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:37 pm 

If you swallow, like, a quadruple dose of laxative it has an effect very similar to LSD I heard.

FrizzySkernip
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:40 pm 

Want to come over to my place and get fucked off laxatives?

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:43 pm 

Abso-fucking-lutely. Can't afford the ticket though.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next