Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:50 pm 

Although I know everyone took a large, collective dump on Running Wild's last album, anyone interested in his new band Giant X? There's a song in this article. Doesn't sound amazing, but decent enough. Kind of short if you take away the sample at the beginning.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:09 pm 

Been jamming Deceptor (UK) a bunch lately which I happened upon from the SK bandcamp page. You guys heard this stuff? Thrashy heavy metal I guess, there's a lot of mid tempo stuff that keeps me from just calling it thrash. Soothsayer EP is pretty rad and actually has a little blasting but I really like the track from the new album SK has up on their page.

http://shadowkingdomrecords.bandcamp.co ... f-delusion

http://deceptor.bandcamp.com/
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:03 pm 

ShadeOfDarkness wrote:
I briefly checked out the new one as well, and it didn't sound bad at all. I had also heard a lot about Pharaoh, but never realized how good they were until now.

Be Gone is their masterpiece, and a true modern classic at that. I doubt they'll be able to top it easily, though Bury the Light is within a hair of being as good.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:58 pm 

Can't say I agree with that at all. I'd say they clearly peaked with The Longest Night. Be Gone is alright, though not nearly as good on the whole it has its moments. Bury the Light is wanky and clunky and boring as fuck.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:28 pm 

Yep, TLN is their best.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

ShadeOfDarkness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:10 am 

Aydross wrote:
ShadeOfDarkness - I also REALLY recommend Manilla Road. Check out The Deluge or Voyager for an excellent heavier PM.

Hmm, I don't know. I listened through some tracks from Voyager, and now I'm checking out some stuff from The Deluge, and I just don't know if I'm gonna be able to get into this. This stuff is weird as hell, haha. I just want something a little more straight forward, and with somewhat more gruff vocals. I'm also noticing that I'm missing some faster riffs here, and I didn't really like the production on either of these albums.

Maybe I'm just not getting it or something...

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:38 pm 

Shades: Try the album "Open the Gates", the riffs and such are a bit more straight-forward. Mark does his gruff vocals and it's cool. If you want something a bit faster and thrashier, try "Out of the Abyss". The production on "Open the Gates" is pretty murky.
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

Von Jugel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:43 pm 

ShadeOfDarkness wrote:
Aydross wrote:
ShadeOfDarkness - I also REALLY recommend Manilla Road. Check out The Deluge or Voyager for an excellent heavier PM.

Hmm, I don't know. I listened through some tracks from Voyager, and now I'm checking out some stuff from The Deluge, and I just don't know if I'm gonna be able to get into this. This stuff is weird as hell, haha. I just want something a little more straight forward, and with somewhat more gruff vocals. I'm also noticing that I'm missing some faster riffs here, and I didn't really like the production on either of these albums.

Maybe I'm just not getting it or something...

Don't give up just yet.

For me, I recommend the 1983-1987 albums mostly. That would be: Crystal Logic, Open The Gates, The Deluge, Mystification. Mystification is actually my favorite, tied with Crystal Logic.

Here is my preferred mix:

1. Prologue
2. Necropolis
3. Flaming Metal System
4. The Riddle Master
5. The Ram
6. Metalström
7. Astronomica
8. Witches Brew
9. Dementia
10. Shadows In Black
11. Divine Victim
12. Haunted Place
13. Spirits Of The Dead
14. Mystification
15. Masque Of The Red Death
16. Death By The Hammer
17. Dragon Star

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:02 pm 

Today I bought Angel Dust's Of Human Bondage. I'm a happy little camper :-D

ShadeOfDarkness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:21 pm 

Thanks guys! I'll be sure to check it out tomorrow, and get back to you on this. :)

The Animator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:38 am 

Ok there was a band I was looking at a while back that had a skeleton wearing a Native American Headdress on one of the album covers. Anyone know the band? I thought I wrote the name down but I cant seem to find it.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:34 pm 

Meliah Rage?

The Animator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:31 am 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Meliah Rage?

Yeah that was it. Thanks!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:55 pm 

Got the new Arkham Witch in last night (next day shipping from SKR) and I'm pretty thrilled with it, although obviously it's brand new and all opinions are subject to change. It honestly sounds like The Lamp of Thoth playing a little drunker and faster. If that sounds appealing to you in any way you're probably gonna want to snag this one. Iron Shadows in the Moon is definitely my favorite track so far. That chorus is drool-worthy.

Any opinions on Witch Cross' Fit For Fight? Every review I can find seems laudatory. Been eyeing it up in the SKR shop.

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:13 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Got the new Arkham Witch in last night (next day shipping from SKR) and I'm pretty thrilled with it, although obviously it's brand new and all opinions are subject to change. It honestly sounds like The Lamp of Thoth playing a little drunker and faster. If that sounds appealing to you in any way you're probably gonna want to snag this one. Iron Shadows in the Moon is definitely my favorite track so far. That chorus is drool-worthy.

Speaking of The Lamp of Thoth and being drunk, did you happen to laugh uncontrollably during the final, untitled track, too?

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:35 pm 

Maaaan that's one of their all-time greatest songs, I thought re-recording it as an acoustic/solo track was pretty hilarious. I was actually in the car on the way back from lunch when it came on. Very pleased.

ShadeOfDarkness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:17 am 

Alright guys. I have tried to get into Manilla Road for I guess 2 days now, and I'm sorry, but I just can't do it. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I feel that MR is kind of a "smart metal" band. Not necessarily that technical, but smart nonetheless. I will remember this for a later time though, and I'm pretty sure I'll get into them one day, but for now, I need something more straight-forward, and more simple in a way. I wish I could explain that better, but it's hard to put my finger on it.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:16 am 

Manilla Road definitely aren't "smart metal". They have a few different sounds, so I'd advise Voyager, as it's one of their "thickest" and epic sounding albums.

Here's a couple of other choice songs from their discog:

The Fires Of Mars from Open The Gates

The Deluge from... The Deluge.

ShadeOfDarkness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:45 pm 

Nah, don't like it. I don't want epic stuff like this, I want stuff similar to the likes of Grave Digger and Paragon. That's the kind of stuff I am looking for, and also keep in mind that I've looked through the similar artist pages for a good deal of these bands, including the two aforementioned, as well as Running Wild and Rage I believe. I can't remember if I did it with Iron Savior or not, but oh well. That's at least the stuff I want, not this...

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:02 pm 

Doesn't sound like they're what you're looking for at all, then.

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:59 pm 

What about France's Nightmare?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqWh4VtxI2I

Has a similar sound to latter day Grave Digger.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:33 pm 

So, this thread needs more Powersurge. Awesome overlooked USPM with some nice speed touches - very polished, high-octane stuff.

Also Graven Image because that's what I was just listening to. Those vocals are fucking over-the-top in the best way.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:06 pm 

Surprised you're just now jumping on Powersurge, they were one I somehow stumbled upon years ago here. Great stuff for the most part, even Gutterscream approves! I thought I had a review up for that album but maybe it was one of my ancient ones I took down. That along with Cloven Hoof I associate with FEAR quite a bit... I have no idea why but I played that game like 20 times back to back blasting metal to it years back, haha.

But holy hell this Graven Image song is new to me, is that demo collection floating around? That song definitely isn't on their 2005 compilation.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:46 pm 

Well, I'm not just now jumping on Powersurge. I've known about them for years, it's just nobody else seems to mention them around here, so I thought I'd drop their name. Yeah, the Graven Image song is from a different demo that doesn't appear in their demo compilation. I'm not sure where you can download it these days but Strappado probably has it. Excellent for sure.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:17 pm 

I might have been too quick to judge Morgana Lefay, as Grand Materia is beating the ever loving crap out of me right now. I'm still not completely used to Rytkönen's vocals, but he does sound more like a higher pitched, crazier Chris Boltendhal to me now than the laryngitic hack I used to hear him as, so there's been some improvement on that department too.

Speaking of bands I usually dislike strongly, Evergrey's In Search of Truth seems to be a pretty cool album. Now, Evergrey is a band that has always rubbed me the wrong way, what with their non-riffs, boring songwriting and stupid lyrics, but ISOT seems to be different. The hooks are abound, vocals are powerful and energetic, and the atmosphere, while still retaining a somber and dark theme, it's more of a "strange things lurk in the dark, and my mind is slowly collapsing" feeling than the "life is bad and I'm a whino" tone that pervades their other releases. The fact that the record is a concept album about alien abductions must have something to do with it.

Last edited by ~Guest 282118 on Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:17 am 

I hate Evergrey so much. :lol: You're basically touching on all the stuff I did when I got into these bands years ago, Xlxlx.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:02 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
I might have been too quick to judge Morgana Lefay, as Grand Materia is beating the ever loving crap out of me right now. I'm still not completely used to Rytkönen's vocals, but he does sound more like a higher pitched, crazier Chris Boltendhal to me now than the laryngitic hack I used to hear him as, so there's been some improvement on that department too.

Morgana Lefay's music was heavier than I expected when I first heard them, since the power metal angle threw me off. The first album I heard was Sanctified and yeah the vocals were not my thing at all on the first few listens. Somewhere down the line they clicked and that album really sold me on the band's chops.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:36 am 

Every time I listen to Stratovarius's s/t I can't figure out why people hate it so much. I mean, it's corny as hell, and melodramatic, and it does suffer from some generic-isms, all that shit, but I think just about every song is pretty much as catchy as the herp.

I feel weird for it but it might be my number 2 Strato album after Episode. I dunno, maybe I heard it at a specific time and this is just rose-tinted glasses.

ShadeOfDarkness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:48 am 

WaywardSon wrote:
What about France's Nightmare?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqWh4VtxI2I

Has a similar sound to latter day Grave Digger.

Oh hell yeah! Now this is what I'm talking about! This band is amazing! I had already heard some stuff by them, but have not checked out the Cosmovision album, and I gotta say, from what I'm hearing, this is fucking great!

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:37 am 

Nahsil wrote:
Every time I listen to Stratovarius's s/t I can't figure out why people hate it so much. I mean, it's corny as hell, and melodramatic, and it does suffer from some generic-isms, all that shit, but I think just about every song is pretty much as catchy as the herp.

I feel weird for it but it might be my number 2 Strato album after Episode. I dunno, maybe I heard it at a specific time and this is just rose-tinted glasses.

Its production is ass, Timo Koplsiskwqjeqesdajanqiq gives the worst vocal performances of his life, the songs have no flow and seem to meander forever...actually, this could all be summed up by saying it's Stratovarius' St. Anger.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:32 am 

Empyreal wrote:
I hate Evergrey so much. :lol: You're basically touching on all the stuff I did when I got into these bands years ago, Xlxlx.

Evergrey usually grates on my nerves too, but In Search of Truth seems to be an exception to the rule for me. And hey, our tastes are rather similar, so I'm not that surprised :-P
OzzyApu wrote:
Morgana Lefay's music was heavier than I expected when I first heard them, since the power metal angle threw me off. The first album I heard was Sanctified and yeah the vocals were not my thing at all on the first few listens. Somewhere down the line they clicked and that album really sold me on the band's chops.

Yeah, it seems like I didn't give them enough opportunities at first, but now I'm starting to like them. I'm not crazy about them, but they're unique and fun, and that's more than enough for me.

Also, I've been listening to Strato's Elysium sporadically for the past few days, and I'm seriously digging it right now, not to mention that Kotipelto's voice has grown on me a lot. You're right Emp; his ear for melody is quite impressive, and when he's at his best, Timo is a rock solid singer. Their new guitar player rips too, and I much prefer his chunkier guitar tone and more modern playing style over Tolkki's, and I actually even get a few Symphony X vibes from the riffing.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:56 pm 

Elysium was an improvement over the somewhat boring Polaris, but still could have been better, some tracks are plain pointless. I hope the next album Nemesis will be better.

Suffersystem
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:56 pm 

sup guys?

Where should I start with Blind Gaurdian? I LOVE this band, but up till now I've hardly ever listened to em. I plan to change that lol.

and If you guys could gimme stuff like this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bDVPLDppvE
thatd be awesome
Also, that vocal recording pic confirmed what I suspected: SLK records shirtless in a sweaty caveman-like delirium. You can almost hear the man stink in the recordings.

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:43 pm 

Start from "Nightfall in Middle Earth" and work backwards, mate. All of their 90's stuff is like gold to me. You might have to ease yourself into their earlier material, it's much more raw and the vocals aren't as refined. Less keyboards etc etc.
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

Suffersystem
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:29 pm 

Element_man wrote:
Start from "Nightfall in Middle Earth" and work backwards, mate. All of their 90's stuff is like gold to me. You might have to ease yourself into their earlier material, it's much more raw and the vocals aren't as refined. Less keyboards etc etc.

sweet thats what i was thinking.

anything like Sonata Arctica but more.. idk masculine like Blind Gaurdian is?
Also, that vocal recording pic confirmed what I suspected: SLK records shirtless in a sweaty caveman-like delirium. You can almost hear the man stink in the recordings.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:04 am 

Suffersystem wrote:
Element_man wrote:

sweet thats what i was thinking.

anything like Sonata Arctica but more.. idk masculine like Blind Gaurdian is?

Symphony X - The Odyssey, Rage - Unity, Tad Morose - Modus Vivendi, Angel Dust - Border of Reality, Conception - In Your Multitude...just some good power/europower albums.

Suffersystem
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:42 am 

Nahsil wrote:
Symphony X - The Odyssey, Rage - Unity, Tad Morose - Modus Vivendi, Angel Dust - Border of Reality, Conception - In Your Multitude...just some good power/europower albums.

I'll check em out when I can thanks
I'm no stranger to the genre, but I've never taken the time to explore it at all.

Cauldron_Born
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:48 am 

This is a new project from former Blacksword guitarist Alex Avdeev. He is joined here by Blacksword vocalist Serge Konev for some Siberian steel that sounds quite promising. I hope Alex gets a full length out of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBq-UoF-Stoha!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQQRxBgreP0

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:57 am 

Lunatic Asylum will be glad that you posted that here, I'll let him know :)

I think the vocals are mediocre and obnoxious, the riffs are cool though.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Cauldron_Born
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:00 am 

The vocals remind me a little of Tecchio on Watchtower's "Control And Resistance" album. That is one of my favorite albums, so I like the vocals on this.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 365, 366, 367, 368, 369, 370, 371 ... 624  Next