Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
gabalgabow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:20 am 

Are you familiar with this site?
It's a music database containing many many releases, where you can add and sell records, underground or not.
It was rather used by grindcore and noise fans, but now metal takes more importance.

Positive points: Contrary to ebay or else, CDr and tape formats are accepted. It's a quite famous site, and it's not focused on a music genre, so you might be surprised to sell something weird...

Negative points: Everything isn't in the database, and when adding a release it's strict about requested infos.

I added a bunch of items from my distro, I took time to create all the entries for records that didn't exist, missing demos were numerous, but now it's in the right way. I hope it will increase sales a bit, at least it will fed an underground database.

http://www.discogs.com/seller/gabalgabow

I hope every underground bands/ labels were entering their releases, to help selling their stuffs...
http://nihilistic-webzine-distro.fr

Fuegofatuo
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:13 am 

I have been searching information on it last days. It's quite useful, for example, it lists all the different editions of a cd throughout history

Example: http://www.discogs.com/Darkthrone-A-Bla ... aster/5558

You can view every specific edition, each one with their different inlay, back cover or cd print. I'll continue using it in the future.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:26 am 

I tried to add my collection (somewhere around 750 items) there, but I flipped out when I realized the amount of cd's I have from Icarus Records, and the amount that discogs has from Icarus Records. Pretty close to zero. I added a few items and went haywire..

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:47 am 

What is this thread about?

I don't get the "Metal is coming" part.

Discogs is good though.

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:24 pm 

What do you mean 'Contrary to ebay or else, CDr and tape formats are accepted'??? You can sell as many cdr's and tapes as you want to on ebay. That's basically why there's a big bootleg industry of especially old demotapes.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:28 pm 

lennonlikesmetal wrote:
What is this thread about?

I don't get the "Metal is coming" part.

Discogs is good though.

Yeah...I don't get the "Metal is coming" part either. I do highly recommend the Discogs site though. I've been using it for a couple years now. It's a great resource for buying and selling, and a good alternate to Ebay for finding rare CDs.

One thing Discogs definitely does better than Ebay is listing your CDs for sale. It's so much quicker than Ebay. As long as the CD you're selling is on the site, listing it can take as little as 30 seconds, and it doesn't cost anything. You just pay a small percentage of the sale price.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:55 pm 

I don't get much of anything in the OP either... there's been loads of metal (and everything else) on there since they started allowing entries for more than just electronic dance music 12-inches and singles (roughly a thousand years ago).

Also, Discogs isn't complicated... People who want to use it but aren't willing to take the time to learn submission guidelines by referencing the scads of wiki pages linked right on the submission form page are just being lazy.

Sometimes the wiki is vague, which is when you ask people on the forums... I've almost never been unable to answer a question about a submission after reading the wiki AND asking the forum on there... (I can recall only one time).

Discogs would be worthless as a resource without its emphasis on complete and, most importantly, accurate data (with that said, there's still loads of inaccurate info on there... which is why including complete scans in the images is so important).

Also, if you have submissions you need votes for, I can vote them correct, but only if you post clear scans of everything so I can actually check the info in your submissions before voting.

gabalgabow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:16 am 

There might have been "loads of metal", but few of the deep underground one: Few years ago when I wanted to sell tapes or CDr releases of death metal, black metal and such, there was almost nothing in the database... Now there is a decent amount of stuffs. (I'm talking about quite new releases).

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:44 am 

Discogs has slowly begun getting more and more metal material inputted into their database so this thread is redundant, as is this post apparently since everyone has said the same thing.

gabalgabow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:56 am 

orionmetalhead wrote:
apparently since everyone has said the same thing.

Really?

_MFMGW_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:41 am 

I don't use it myself, but the guy I get all my music from lives on there.
'Neil, I'd like you to hunt down the picture disk of FUKK II by Sadistik Exekution, the book version of Filosofem by Burzum, an original pressing of Welcome To Hell by Venom and some Passenger of Shit EPs'
'Throw the money in the pot and fuck off, cunt'

I've looked on there a few times and it's a fantastic site.

~Guest 294530
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:55 am 

So, after this post was removed from NWN, you took it here? Lots of people know about discogs, and it's been full of Metal for years..
And what's with this 'Contrary to ebay or else, CD-r and tape formats are accepted?' Ebay takes both of those formats.. There's millions of tapes and CD-r's on ebay..

Nothing is strict on Discogs when adding releases either. All you need to do is type in all of the important stuff, and provide proof, from either pictures of the release, or a link to where said important stuff can be found.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:14 am 

Fuegofatuo wrote:
I have been searching information on it last days. It's quite useful, for example, it lists all the different editions of a cd throughout history

You can view every specific edition, each one with their different inlay, back cover or cd print. I'll continue using it in the future.

I love this feature. If I ever want to know if an album was ever released on vinyl (I prefer vinyl to CD) then it's the first place I'll look.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:21 am 

Quote:
Nothing is strict on Discogs when adding releases either.

They really are pretty inclusive... though I got one of my submissions removed (an 8-track cart. with no tape inside), because it "wasn't a playable release" or some-such.

Really, though, it was... It was a conceptual release, but it was designed to be implemented by putting it into an 8-track player and pressing play... In that sense, I consider it "playable", even if it stores no readable information.

Meanwhile, look at some of The Gerogerigegege's stuff:
http://www.discogs.com/Gerogerigegege-Z ... se/1351343
*shrug*

Some users also don't think unreleased-but-known-to-exist or one-off releases should be added, though they still frequently are.

gabalgabow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:23 am 

Lost Wisdom wrote:
So, after this post was removed from NWN, you took it here? Lots of people know about discogs, and it's been full of Metal for years..

Repeat mode on:
Few years ago when I wanted to sell tapes or CDr releases of death metal, black metal and such, there was almost nothing in the database... Now there is a decent amount of stuffs. (I'm talking about quite new releases).

Lost Wisdom wrote:
And what's with this 'Contrary to ebay or else, CD-r and tape formats are accepted?' Ebay takes both of those formats.. There's millions of tapes and CD-r's on ebay..

Did you try to sell CDr demos on Ebay? I did.
The item was deleted once "CDr" was detected.

gabalgabow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:26 am 

I still think a website sending you loads of error messages, once each word doesn't begin with Capitalized letters, is strict.

Now maybe "Strict" doesn't exactly have the same meaning in french and english...

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:30 am 

Twin_guitar_attack wrote:
Fuegofatuo wrote:

I love this feature. If I ever want to know if an album was ever released on vinyl (I prefer vinyl to CD) then it's the first place I'll look.

It's important to keep in mind that everything is user-submitted... so Discogs is not always the final answer in a person's search for info, despite it being probably one of the best resources on the net for this sort of thing.

Also, a lot info on stuff like old tape-traded, 50th-generation demo tapes is scarce, and sometimes the info known about those tapes (online in general, not just on Discogs) is not totally accurate. Discogs is generally not great for finding info about stuff like obscure metal demos in my experience.

MA usually has more info on that kind of thing, though it's far less comprehensive/doesn't allow for different versions of releases.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:34 am 

gabalgabow wrote:
I still think a website sending you loads of error messages, once each word doesn't begin with Capitalized letters, is strict.

Now maybe "Strict" doesn't exactly have the same meaning in french and english...

You know there's a checkbox for those errors, right? Like, say A soNg Is tiTleD liKE ThIS, and the rest of the songs are not, you can override that message... and if you make a submission note explaining that "it's supposed to be like that", I doubt anyone would disagree with doing that.

Otherwise, it is not that hard to just press down the shift key...

Blood Music
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:14 pm 

This is somehow an advertisement, I saw the same thing on Nuclear War Now forums.

I thought everyone knew this site already.

~Guest 294530
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:24 pm 

gabalgabow wrote:

Now maybe "Strict" doesn't exactly have the same meaning in french and English...

So, the use of proper capitalization is strict? I don't think so.

Discogs is not a strict place at all. All they require is that you have proof that the release exists, state the important facts of the album (year, genre, label, etc), and use proper grammar and capitalization..

You don't want a site that has releases with little information, bad spelling, and no respect to the artists.. They run their site professionally, and I like that.

gabalgabow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:32 pm 

Huh ???

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:30 pm 

Lost Wisdom wrote:

Based on a quick look, it seems that they use capital letters in every word on genres.

Which is NOT proper capitalization. For fuck's sake...

~Guest 294530
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:45 pm 

Napero wrote:
Lost Wisdom wrote:

Based on a quick look, it seems that they use capital letters in every word on genres.

Which is NOT proper capitalization. For fuck's sake...

That may be, but you pick the genre's in a drop down menu.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:42 pm 

_MFMGW_ wrote:
I don't use it myself, but the guy I get all my music from lives on there.
'Neil, I'd like you to hunt down the picture disk of FUKK II by Sadistik Exekution, the book version of Filosofem by Burzum, an original pressing of Welcome To Hell by Venom and some Passenger of Shit EPs'
'Throw the money in the pot and fuck off, cunt'

I've looked on there a few times and it's a fantastic site.

ha ha! this cracked me up :lol:
i spend most of my time at discogs contributing stuff, maintaining my collection etc

Reply to topic