Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:19 am 

lupin99 wrote:
I did enjoy the new High On Fire, Rush, Witchcraft, Down EP, Neurosis, Corrosion of Conformity, and the new Soundarden as well. I know that some people hated the new Sword album, but I rather enjoyed it.

Yea, Rush, High on Fire both are pretty cool. I've got the new Witchcraft and Neurosis rip but haven't listened to them yet. Down Purple EP is quite brilliant too. King Animal is quite cool till first 5 or 6 tracks, then it turns rather bland. It's miles behind early Soundgarden classics like Badmotorfinger or Ultramega OK. I haven't quite got into The Sword. I've always seen people bashing them. Couldn't quite get it why. :scratch: I've heard a couple of tracks from their album Age of Winters and they were pretty good to be honest.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:48 am 

doomster999 wrote:
I haven't quite got into The Sword. I've always seen people bashing them. Couldn't quite get it why. :scratch: I've heard a couple of tracks from their album Age of Winters and they were pretty good to be honest.

Age of Winters is a fun album, though there are some glaring flaws that I can't fault anybody for holding against it. The problem is that after that album the band just completely unravels and never does anything interesting or at the very least entertaining again. Their debut was stripped down and bare bones and dumb and it worked because the riffwork was so charismatic. The next three albums just get successively drier and drier, rehashing the same handful of riffs without ever addressing the problems that I and everybody else in the universe had with them in the beginning. I mean hey, if you like that sound, then there's a chance you'll dig all four albums, but nothing other than the debut even comes close to satisfying me.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:57 am 

Tentative final top 10 of the year:

In Mourning: The Weight Of Oceans
Ne Obliviscaris: Portal Of I
Spawn Of Possession: Incurso
Kreator: Phantom Antichrist
Before The Dawn: Rise Of The Phoenix
High On Fire: De Vermis Mysteriis
Alcest: Les Voyages De L'Âme
Monolithe: III
Les Discrets: Ariettes Oubliées...
Swallow The Sun: Emerald Forest And The Blackbird

My surprise of the year is Dark Roots Of Earth, my scapegoat of the year (underrated) is At The Gate Of Sethu, and my disappointment of the year is Time I...

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

The Animator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:17 am 

"Dar de Duh" by Dordeduh was quite an impressive album.

"Rabbits' Hill Pt. 1" by Trick or Treat was also really good.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:35 am 

Incantation: well, it was Incantation being themselves. But did anyone expect anything else? The vocals are weaker than what I usually expect from them (I think they changed vocalists?) but it's solid all around. I'll probably give it a few more listens, but it's definitely not a favourite of the year. Grand Supreme Blood Court: Wow. What a piece of shit production job. Everything is louder than everything else and it's grating as hell. It's a shame cause the riffs go from decent to really good but fuck this album. I'm not listening to it again.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:39 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Incantation: well, it was Incantation being themselves. But did anyone expect anything else? The vocals are weaker than what I usually expect from them (I think they changed vocalists?) but it's solid all around. I'll probably give it a few more listens, but it's definitely not a favourite of the year.

No, it's still John on the vocals like on the previous two albums. I was a bit disappointed, really. Perhaps I was expecting too much, but I think the newer bands do this kind of thing better these days. The production especially was a disappointment. Too clean and slick for my tastes. Perhaps with a few more listens my opinion of the album will improve, but I doubt it.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:42 am 

I think you're right, really. None of it excited me very much at all, but I just can't call it a flat out bad album cause it truly isn't.

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:38 am 

http://enpedestalment.bandcamp.com/
Debut EP by the slam death band Enpedestalment. Nonstop slams with one of the better slam guitar tones I've heard.

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:00 am 

Thashierthanthou wrote:
http://enpedestalment.bandcamp.com/
Debut EP by the slam death band Enpedestalment. Nonstop slams with one of the better slam guitar tones I've heard.

Hmmm

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:57 am 

Finally listened to Vanquish In Vengeance (my 1st Incantation), and enjoyed it pretty well, but I couldn't help but feel that there was a smarter DM record lurking somewhere in it, buried underneath the songwriting's tendency for "brutal death metal"-style mindlessness. I dunno, maybe it just would've worked better with a different vocal style. Dug the unexpected doomy parts, at least...

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:10 am 

Axehammer Marching on is great, Kleber's vocals are great in a more europower sense, and they're satisfactory of a replacement for Bill. The riffs are solid and the musicianship is top knotch, definitely buying it this next payperiod.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:23 am 

Veracs wrote:
Axehammer Marching on is great, Kleber's vocals are great in a more europower sense, and they're satisfactory of a replacement for Bill. The riffs are solid and the musicianship is top knotch, definitely buying it this next payperiod.

I heard one song off that and the production was so bad I couldn't stand to listen to another one. Did you somehow find one with better production somewhere?

slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:25 pm 

Arcturus fans should give new Quadrivium album a spin. So far I've heard only one free song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k58EuRejfGg from that album and short samples here: http://www.grooves-inc.com/quadrivium-m ... 75666.html but I am amazed how much similar to Arcturus it is. I love that sample from the second song, it sounds almost like some unreleased Arcturus stuff.

TheAntagonist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:51 pm 

Just checked out Angantyr's new album Forvist and I was really impressed. Kind of forgot that it was coming out and have to say it was a nice surprise. The no nonsense, stripped down approach to black metal remains true and quite possibly more powerful than ever. I was only a casual fan before, but this is a killer album that should be explored.

Windir - Resurrection of the Wild

norcalslayings
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:35 pm 

New Revocation,Cattle Decapitation and Havok
Caravans’ stoned deliverance"-Sleep's Dopesmoker

LO FI GRIND- http://alaskanpipelinesgrinds.bandcamp.com/

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:37 pm 

Azaghal - Nemesis
Besatt - Tempus Apocalypsis
Blood Red Fog - Harvest
Deathspell Omega - Drought EP
Demoncy - Enthroned is the Night
Drudkh - Eternal Turn of the Wheel
Furia - Marzannie, Królowej Polski
Lucifugum - Od Omut Serpenti
Marduk - Serpent Sermon
Mgla - With Hearts Toward None
Moontower - Voices of the Unholy Land
Nekrokrist SS / Faagrim - Strike of the Northern Legions
Pact - The Dragon Lineage of Satan
Sad / Mourning Forest - And Nothing Shalt Remain

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:47 pm 

I enjoyed Kreator - Phantom Antichrist. Nice use of melody.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:01 pm 

Incantation - Vanquish In Vengeance

Obviously...
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:05 am 

Hi.

Guessing that Spotify has become even more widespread during 2012 I hope that this will be interesting for quite a lot of people.
My annual metal gigantus Spotify playlist. I hope that it will be worth checking out seeing what you may or may not have missed during the year.
If you have any suggestions as to what should be on there, that I have missed, please let me know. Aaaaand here it is:
http://open.spotify.com/user/a_l_x/play ... kpMUrYe2vD

primitivevoid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:37 pm 

Ævangelist: De Masticatione Mortuorum in Tumulis has anyone else heard this album yet? this is easily one of my favorite albums to have been vomited forth this year. Its a thick and smothering album of atmospheric blackened death metal that has been informed by the works of portal without being a rip off or clone, it has its own identity. This album really suprised me as it came from a band i had never heard of before and was not expecting it to be any good.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:27 pm 

primitivevoid wrote:
Ævangelist: De Masticatione Mortuorum in Tumulis has anyone else heard this album yet? this is easily one of my favorite albums to have been vomited forth this year. Its a thick and smothering album of atmospheric blackened death metal that has been informed by the works of portal without being a rip off or clone, it has its own identity. This album really suprised me as it came from a band i had never heard of before and was not expecting it to be any good.

Interesting... These guys live right near me, at least half the time... I will have to check them out

theoctavarius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:00 pm 

primitivevoid wrote:

I've heard some songs off of Youtube. Like Portal, it's not easy-listening music; however, they have a lot more structure to their -- much longer -- songs, and use keys tastefully to enhance the atmosphere. Definitely recommanded to those who like their blackened death a little more on the experimental side.
Was du geschlagen
zu Gott wird es dich tragen!

-Gustav Mahler

jgyuseok
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:18 am 

Luca Turilli's Rapsody-Ascending to Infinity this album is masterpiece

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:42 am 

New Nominon was great from the songs I've heard would be a solid 8/10 if the guitar tone wasn't weak, decent for the style of death metal it is though. The newest Incantation was solid as well Mcentee's vocals seem to have lost a little of the guttural tone from the past albums, but the riffs range from faster razor thin portions to the usual doom sections as in Legion of Dis. I like em both..

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:42 pm 

I don't think I've mentioned this yet, but Omnihility - Biogenesis is one hell of a debut album. Brutal tech death in the vein of Origin, I suppose, but a unique sound and brand all their own. Blistering fast guitars, drums. Some serious BPM. :)

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:57 pm 

Carach Angren´s Where The Corpses Sink Forever is by far one of the best albums i heard in a long, long time.
Symphonic black metal with a fresh twist, a totally innovative way to treat an over-used topic such as war (quality lyrics,movie material i would say!) and oustanding musical presence.
The vocals are totally mind blowing. All in all every song its great but i must say that The Funerary Dirge Of A Violinist
gave me chills the first time i played the album. 10 out of 10.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOaDCEdwngo

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:03 am 

Eis - Wetterkreuz.
I've had this for about a month now, but I only discovered today that this is the same band that released 'Galeere' (under a different name though - Geist). I hold that album as a masterpiece in Atmospheric Black Metal and this isn't far off. Melodic tremolo riffs abound with some very slight symphonic touches(not too much). It kinda reminds me a little of Lunar Aurora's Andacht and Hoagascht in different parts.

Last edited by Beer Baron on Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:49 pm 

Serocs - Oneirology

http://youtu.be/KzHXnqR9fUw

Pretty cool drumming, but the rest is not up with it, unfortunately...

Last edited by slavonic777 on Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:03 pm 

Enjoying...

heavy/power/speed:

Christian Mistress, Demona, Forte, Hellwell*, Lonewolf, Razorwyre, Steelwing, Striker

black:

Aevangelist, Anaal Nathrakh, Bound by Entrails*, Dantalion, Elysian Blaze*, Mgla*, Nattfog, Odz Manouk, Rahu, Svartidauði

death:

Abysme, Asphyx, Ataraxy, Abyssal, Beheaded, Be'lakor, Black Breath*, Cattle Decapitation (surprisingly), Chthe'ilist, Horrendous, Ignivomous, Incantation, Intestinal, Ofermod, Puteraeon, Putrid Pile, Revel in Flesh

thrash: Deathhammer, Exumer, Hypnosia's compilation/rerecording or some stuff, Nekromantheon*

doom: Evoken, Graveyard, Katatonia, Om, Pilgrim, Witchcraft*

and others I need to listen to more. * indicates top 10 potential.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Motorpriest
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:21 pm 

Hour of 13's new album is growing on me with each listen, as is Hellwell's debut. Hour of 13 seem to have dropped some of the "unholy ritual" sound in pursuit of a more old-school Heavy Metal sound. While I do prefer the first two albums, those two are godly as far as I'm concerned and the new one is different, but in a good way.

nordicmania
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:21 pm 

Mustan Auringon Riitti from Nattfog

No doubt the best new album from this year I've heard

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:25 pm 

nordicmania wrote:
Mustan Auringon Riitti from Nattfog

No doubt the best new album from this year I've heard

Great choice, it's definitely in my top 10 of the year. I'll post it in early 2013.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:00 am 

Listened to that Carach Angren after some people were hyping it...not impressed.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:07 am 

It's an agressively mediocre album.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:08 am 

I second the above two posts. Great insight, I know.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:14 am 

I felt it was lacking, as well, but "Funerary Dirge of a Violinist" was pretty boss.

Wedge_Antilles
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:57 am 

Grave's new one has been kicking the shit out of me lately.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:34 am 

Haven't been a big fan of Origin's newer output. Last thing I really enjoyed was Echoes of Decimation. Also haven't been big into tech death in a long time (loved Gorod's Leading Vision but nothing since, hate Obscura et al). But this Omnihility is nuts. The speed is insane, and the compositions aren't too bad for a "brutal tech death" album.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:09 pm 

MeltedFace wrote:
We've done a Top 10 of the year thread before, where everyone submitted their top albums for the year to one user and he assigned point values to them. I believe it had a ranking of all the albums though, so there were many albums that only one user submitted.

It spawned some great discussion and was a good thread to find even more music I hadn't discovered yet. Unfortunately it produced a bit of nasty discourse as well. It also produced some ridiculous smugness from people who felt it a good sign that most/none of the albums they liked were in the top 10. If we could avoid the flaming and smugness, I'd definitely be interested in that format again.

If we don't go that route, I'd still like to see a separate Top 10 thread along with reasoning for each member's picks. I can't stand standard listing threads, as it doesn't really spawn much good discussion (and MA prohibits these). Either way, I'd personally enjoy a Top 10 thread again, as I believe that would encourage more people to participate and ultimately lead many of us to albums we haven't discovered yet.

Nice! Seems loke a REALLY good idea!
P.S: Personally, the dedicated thread seems better to me. Although, we shoudl guide some guidelines (just list album and reason?).

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:56 pm 

My list is up on Perpetual Strife

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.co ... -2012.html

Give it a read if you'd like.

10.Revenge -Scum.Collapse.Eradication
9.Sakatat - Bir Devrin Sonu
8.Knelt Rote - Trespass
7.Wreck and Reference - No Youth
6.Column of Heaven - Mission from God
5.Swans - The Seer