Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
GrotesqueCarcass
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:14 pm 

When i was 5 or 6, Prong's Snap Your Fingers, Snap Your Neck, also Cryptopsy's Open Face Surgery, Godflesh's Christbait Rising and Carcass Reek Of Putrefaction (song)

Marchenoir
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:58 pm 

Colosseum (the funeral doom band)
Silencer
Skepticism
Brodequin
Shining
Lykathea Aflame
Spawn Of Possession
Carcass (on Symphonies of Sickness, not too fond of the later albums)

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:03 pm 

Like 8 years ago I saw a goth rock/metal band, Grigori 3, at a local Halloween night show and before they even finished the sound check I was hooked, it was like nothing I had ever heard before. I heard that they put out a cd a while ago but I haven't been able to track it down.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Body_Hammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:05 pm 

Most recently, it was Ne Obliviscaris:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wa4zqBwPVE

Great vocals, awesome drums, amazing melodies.

MalariaMosquito
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:39 am 

Jesu was one of those bands for me. I remember putting on their self-titled and just cranking up the volume up and up until it was maxed and just falling into a coma until the album ended. Sheer hypnotic bliss.

katatonia47
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:51 am 

Swans would definitely be one, simply because I'd never heard anything else like it in my life. I discovered them through Power For Power off their debut, Filth, and I was surprised a band could take something so basic and make it sound so intense. I couldn't stop repeating the drum pattern in the intro for days, it's my ringtone now.

Xpert74
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:28 am 

The first one for me, definitely, was Dimmu Borgir's Puritania. At that point in time, in I think 2002, I was still mostly listening to nu metal songs I heard in Tony Hawk games or other such places, but Dimmu Borgir was the first non-nu metal band I really enjoyed. Puritania blew me away, and while I was initially disappointed that it's somewhat of an aberration in their library, I quickly got into their other more melodic music as well.

Some other bands that come to mind which completely amazed me from the first listen:

Kreator - I remember getting Pleasure To Kill, mostly because I had read UltraBoris' review of it on the Metal Archives, and it seemed like something I had to hear. Up to this point I mostly was only aware of thrash metal that sounded like the Big 4; the most aggressive band in that style I knew of was Slayer, and I didn't know there were thrash bands that could sound rougher and more dirty in style than them. Pleasure To Kill blew me away, absolutely.

Morbid Saint - I wanted more aggressive thrash metal, and the songs I heard from Morbid Saint were more than enough encouragement to search out a copy of Spectrum of Death. To this day, Assassin is one of the most intense songs I've ever had the pleasure of listening to.

The_Great_God_Pan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:00 pm 

I remember a few years ago when I first listened to Veux-tu Danser? by Gris. That song alone made me listen to the entire album which I found to be a great find. Even though the sound is very raw, that album manages to create a really unique atmosphere and it holds you until the end. It still amazes me to listen to thar particular song and the album closer, especially since there's only two musicians in the band.

jeanshack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:18 pm 

Moonsorrow? Anyone?

primitivevoid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:40 pm 

the most recent band to blow my mind, sit back and say fuck was Mitochondrion's debut. the atmosphere and controlled chaos just blew me away. i thought i was done hearing new and exciting things in the metal i listened to and was pleasently suprised to be wrong.

other artists that have blown me away in the past would be Swans, Agalloch, Leviathan, Deathspell Omega, Blut Aus Nord and Burzum to name a few,

NJMike
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:44 pm 

I guess Xasthur, Blut aus nord, Lantlôs, Impetuous Ritual, Jesu, Flourishing, Reverence, Diagnose: Lebensgefahr, Aarni, DragonForce, Three Days Grace, Furries in a Blender, Lamb of God (my introduction to extreme metal), Cannibal Corpse, Cryptopsy, Cephalotripsy, Dripping, Disavowed, Rings of Saturn, Defeated Sanity, Tvangeste, !T.O.O.H.!, De Silence et d'Ombre.

http://www.last.fm/user/TheresTheMike

Last edited by NJMike on Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:55 pm, edited 7 times in total.
oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:52 pm 

Abnormality, but only because I first heard of them through Rock Band and was astounded at the blast beats and general speed of the song, and was not remotely interested in metal (playing on expert the first time proved to be quite a challenge :-D ).

csehszlovakze
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:08 pm 

I'll add Diabolical Age by Ragnarok to the list. The production and the guitar tone had me at the first seconds, also the minimal, yet well utilized synths, Thyme's vocals fit perfectly with the atmosphere. Also add the kickass album artwork and get an album yet unmatched by anything, at least on my list.

Links to my online presence

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:21 pm 

csehszlovakze wrote:
I'll add Diabolical Age by Ragnarok to the list. The production and the guitar tone had me at the first seconds, also the minimal, yet well utilized synths, Thyme's vocals fit perfectly with the atmosphere. Also add the kickass album artwork and get an album yet unmatched by anything, at least on my list.

Agreed, awesome album

Mistereyedee
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:50 pm 

Gotham City - The Unknown (Album)
I used to just listen to the song "Swords and Chains" many times before finally getting tired of it, so one day I decided to finally give the whole album a spin. I don't know, but this one just clicked with me as soon as I got to "The Beast Will Burn". That song, along with a few more right after that one are the strongest tracks on this sweet gem. Something about Anders Zackrisson's vocals jumped out at me, and I was hooked throughout. I only listened to this album ONCE, and it's already pretty damn impressive to say the least. No wonder cool people like Strappado worship these guys. I wish this LP would get a proper reissue so I don't have to shell out hundreds for a (likely worn) copy.

Jaguar - Axe Crazy (7" Single)
"You're driving me... AXE CRAZY!" What else can I say, really? As soon as the single starts spinning you are in for a speed metal treat. Nonstop double bass drumming coming at you, with some of the best melodic guitar leads ever heard in the history of the NWOBHM. I LOVE the vocals; they have that youthful, punky energy to them that really complements this beauty of a gem. The reverse side, "War Machine", is a mix of ballad and rocker. When you hear those soft and clean riffs, it's like the complete opposite of the first track (which was purely rocking the fuck out with what little time you were given to sway the crowd). However, as the song progresses, the distortion kicks in and the speed is halfway back up (enough to make you mosh if you are a diehard fan of the NWOBHM or early thrash metal in general). Again, I must repeat that the vocals of Paul Merrell are WONDERFUL here. I'd like to own the real thing, but it's good enough as bonus tracks for Power Games.

Liege Lord - Burn to My Touch (Album)
While only half an hour long, Burn to My Touch is one of the most solid USPM gems I've ever heard. I am familiar with other albums like Master Control, but this one takes the cake for me. The riffs are especially orgasmic, as is the tight-paced drumming. I'm so glad I have the vinyl with me and in mint condition no less. Definitely not letting go of this one.

MetalKara
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:09 pm 

I was just wondering Y&T is metal or not???... Yeah i checked the site and couldnt see it.. But these guys amazed me at the first time with their nice riffs and tempo... Some resources call them Hair Metal, some call them Heavy Metal/Hard Rock band.. Which one should i take???

Metal Archive doesnt consider them in here, is this just because they are close to Hard rock than Heavy Metal??? These guys also doesnt look like Glam... If there is Ozzy Osbourne in here, why not no Y&T??? I think Ozzy is no more Metal after Black Sabbath..

anyway... is Y&T Heavy/Hard Rock band or Hair Metal band???

Maulgraun
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:32 am 

Marduk and Carpathian Forest.

suleiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:46 am 

Von Jugel wrote:
I'll throw in the song that did it too.

Metallica (Battery)

for sure...i was like 7 or 8 and had only heard my dad's classic rock and maiden/preist/sabbath before this..then an elder cousin played this for me and i knew what i wanted from music right there and then

also :

Sepultura - Arise
face ripping thrash assualt in crystal c;ear production job

Nuclear Assault - New Song
an outta control thrash classic that showed me the value of chaos

Anthrax - Finale
crazy fast catchy amazing

Suicidal Tendencies - Controlled By Hatred
thrash riffs and emotional meltdowns..the first 'personal' sounding thrash/core/crossover thang i heard

Type O Negative - Black Sabbath
made me fall in love with TON (and there insanely heavy sound) right there and then...genious and my vote for the best metal cover evah

Sisters of Mercy - Dominion
i finally got what goth was all about...and that voice !

Vader - Winds
i was like "fuk yesssssss" when i heard this...

Nightfall - Armada
my introduction to the world of melodic symphonic death metal

At The Gates - Under the Serpent Sun
i was floored , this being my first introduction to the gothenburg sound....sadly i found most of the other ATG stuff to get old rather quickly

Slipknot - Surfacing
so angry and catchy...my chance to scream "fuck it ALL !! FUK THIS WORLD Etc etc"

Napalm Death - Siege of Power
i first beheld the power of grind and crusty d-beats and was amazed

Morbid Angel - Fall from Garce
a greaty intro to a relationship with satanic death metal..the first really 'evil' thing i heard

deicide - dead by dawn
first exposure to the t-pain vox fx and the horror/DM cross-over...like a steamroller

NIN - wish
the start of my love with industrial rock/metal...pissed off and catchy

judas preist - painkiller
nuff said

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:43 am 

Mercyful Fate was one of the first bands to really entrance me. I had heard nothing like them at the age of 11 - and I went bonkers over "Insane" off of 9. It was available as an Amazon track or something for a buck, and I would listen to it over and over again. "Black Funeral" would later have a similar effect on me, because of the music as well as the hilarious lyrics, which were absolute blasphemy for me at the time and I loved how defiant and powerful they made me feel. Then I became obsessed with the guitarists and wanted to learn to play just like them.

So yeah, MF for sure.

Bal-Sagoth really freaked me out when I first heard them, too. I instantly wanted to get everything they owned, but found out that was harder said than done in 2008. I grew out of them fast, though.

And who honestly wasn't amazed when they first heard Dragonforce? I remember some cool guy that worked at Sam Goody playing me Valley of the Damned in 2003 and thinking ohhh my fuck. I thought I was on to so whole other next-level shit that I had to let erruyboday know about. This phase was quickly digested, and turned into an enormous disillusionment with the band as a whole. Even Valley of the Damned is boring these days. For me at least. But for a thirteen year old just starting to get into metal for real, listening to Dragonforce was the metal equivalent to having some obnoxiously large-breasted blonde bombshell asking if you'd like a good once over. Thus: a memorable first time, but lack of substance later leading to disappointment and subsequent utter abandonment being the ultimate deciding factor.

Nevermore.

TheJizzHammer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:26 pm 

First time I heard Artillery was a very memorable experience. I heard Khomaniac and lost my mind - everything about it was perfect. The opening riff was all it took for me to know the song was going to rip. The riffs are fucking excellent and there are all of these little nuances within the song that add perfect icing to an already perfect cake. I still love the entire By Inheritance album.

emperorjvl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:07 pm 

Metallica - s/t - intro to nonpop. I was in 8th grade. Loved it and got the earlier ones form my uncle, whch brought me to...
Death - Fate (best of) - My intro to heavier metal. Blown away by Zombie Ritual. One of my favorites since.
Massacre - Inhuman condition - so awesome.
Morbid Angel - Immortal Rites/Rapture/Covenant - saw the vids in Headbanger's Ball, got the Covenant cassette... wow.
Suffocation - Breeding the Spawn - fuck the production issues, the music in this is brilliant.
Mercyful Fate - Egypt/Time - Saw the Egypt vid and loved it, then forgot them for a while until I got Time and was again amazed. Needless to say, the back catalog, along with the King Diamond stuff, was soon acquired...
Samael - Ceremony of Opposites -Holy shit was this good.
Obtained Enslavement - Witchcraft - I was honestly amazed at the 3 mp3s from this album I happened to get from the old Napster way back when. Got the cd and it became one of my symphonic BM favorites. Didn't really like their other ones though.
Mithras - heard couple of songs online around the time of their second album - loved the mega-morbid angel sound.
Ahab/Pantheist/Wraith of the Ropes/Shape of Despair - discovered Funeral Doom around 2005/6, the albums at that time by these bands thoroughly amazed me. I still hold WotR "Ada" as an all-time FD favorite.
Necrophagist - can't remember if I first heard stuff from the 1st or second one, but I know I was amazed by that second one when I got it.
Blind Guardian - Nightfall. Dude.
Arcturus - La masquerade. Wow.

I was also very impressed by the first Arsis, Dragonforce "Inhuman Rampage", Immolation's first, Moonspell's Wolfheart, Cradle of filth's first, Type O Negative's October Rust, and Madder Mortem's Deadlands.

Charlo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:21 pm 

Qantice - The Cosmocinesy. I heard one track off this album on YouTube, and I was totally blown away, so I listened to another. Similarly blown away. When I got a hold of the album, the wide array of influences crammed into a tight power metal package made a huge fan out of me. I've heard that damn album over 100 times and it never gets old. They're the first band I've been a fan of where I'm actually very afraid that their next album won't live up to the first, and the magic will be ruined.

Einzige
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:24 pm 

A friend of mine introduced me to Skyfire through the song "Dead Man's Race". I'm a sucker for melodic death metal performed properly, and he must have known my weak points, because that song just totally dominated our hang-out sessions for a week before I caved and bought their albums.

DarthScorpio12
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:30 pm 

A few have. I really took a liking for the folk metal band, Eluveitie recently. I guess one of the bands that really got me into metal is Machine Head. Was hooked from the first listen. Saw them live recently and they kicked a lot of ass

Space_alligator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:17 am 

Nazxul -Vow of Vegance

RyffHyena
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:21 pm 

Graveworm
Woods of Ypres
Bal Sagoth
Fleshgod Apocalypse
Sodom
Amon Amarth

Plenty more but I'm lazy to name them all.

Stromness7
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:11 pm 

Austere
Lantlos
Drowning The Light
Exiled From Light
Ulver
Amon Amarth

~Guest 300273
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:25 am 

Amon Amarth. These guys made me want to explode. Their first album "Once Sent..." just blew me away. I hope I get the chance to see them live sometime soon.

GuitarGuyNack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:55 am 

Immolation-Passion Kill.The part where the lyrics go from god helping you to god hating you really resonated with me.
Anaal Nathrakh-In the constellation of the balck widow.First song i ever heard by them and i wass hooked on the first listen.
Suffocation-Entrails of you.
Cannibal Corpse-Dead human collection-First DM song i heard.

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:47 am 

Ulver, specifically Nattens madrigal - aatte hymne til ulven i manden. Badass.

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:42 pm 

Windir - Fagning
Boris - teeth and claws
wintersun - beyond the darkened sun
fen - ghost of the flood
agalloch - falling snow
vali - lengsol
empyrium - blue mist of the night
orthadox - Con Sangre de Quien Te Ofenda
tenhi - siniset runot

that's all I can think of off the top of my head

SladeCraven
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:47 pm 

Alice in Chains for sure. I hadn't really understood why they were so celebrated and I gave them a try and fell in love. Outside of extreme metal, probably my favorite band.

Outstanding lyrics, raw emotion, beautiful vocals, and an overall memorable sound.

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:34 pm 

Dream Theater!

They were from New York and I was in New York at the time and Frank Gilchriest of Virgin Steele was a friend of the band so we went to see them and I was blown away by the precision and attention to detail.

Closer inspection of their albums made me more weary of them but I still think they are a decent band.

"...unto the end I shall lead all into my darkness..."
-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

In
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:52 pm 

!T.O.O.H.! - Pod Vladou Bice
Crotchduster - Big Fat Box of Shit
Portal - Swarth
Skagos - Ast
Hour of Penance - Paradogma
Austere - To Lay Like Old Ashes
Nontinuum - The Stars You Gathered, The Stars I Destroyed
Pyha - The Haunted House
Obolus - Lament
Agruss - Morok

And a whole bunch more I can't remember.

RacoCooper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:11 pm 

Woods of Ypres
Origin
Cattle Decapitation, their new album Monolith of Inhumanity specifically.

Wrath_Of_War
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:53 pm 

Force of Darkness's first full length absolutely blew me away upon my first listen. A few years later, it's still one of my favorite albums.

PhilTasmal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:34 am 

Esoteric, Timeghoul, Ripping Corpse, Iron Maiden, Yngwie Malmsteen, Iniquity, Demigod, Morbid Angel, Nocturnus, etc.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:32 am 

Belphegor definitely blew me the fuck away. I saw the music video for Belphegor-Hell's Ambassador and at the time was still pretty new to the more brutal types of metal, so it was quite a slap in the face. I still watch the video all the time these days, I've always liked it.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

wolfs lair
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:52 am 

mayhem- wolfs lair abyss

such an angry, horrible sounding EP.

Suffocation- despise the sun

great point of thier career!

Drahkarg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:15 am 

Sonic Syndicate - album Eden Fire
Insomnium - songs Drawn to Black and Mortal Share
Dying Fetus - album Reign Supreme
Solution .45 - album For Aeons Past
Amon Amarth - album Twilight of the Thunder God and Embrace of the Endless Ocean
Scar Symmetry - album and song Holographic Universe

And that's all I can think of now, but I'm sure more will come to me later.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next