Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
gabber
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:44 am 

Not a thread to be taken too seriously this one....

When I lived at home, 20 years ago and my mother was driving me everywhere, I'd always have a cassette ready to crank in the car. She was probably subjected to my entire metal collection at the time. Now she is getting older, and unable to look after herself or drive, so it's me driving her around. The condition is that I still get the choose the music.

Back then there were a few tracks that she absolutely loved, and I tested it out the other day to see if she really meant it and therefore remembered them, or whether she was just saying that at the time.

And she was pretty spot on! Other than the confusion between bands ('Is this Manowar... no Blind Guardian.. Iron Maiden...) etc, she did quite well!

So I worked out her favourite metal tunes. Please be aware, this woman normally listens to Nana Mouskouri and the Everly Brothers.

-'A Tale That Wasn't Right' - Helloween (Keeper Part 1). Her reasoning: 'Oh man this guy has an amazing voice he really knows how to sing properly'.

-'The Crown And The Ring' - Manowar (Kings Of Metal). 'So powerful, beautiful music, his voice is powerful and the instruments are powerful too.'

-'Balls To The Wall' - Accept. She sings along to this one because of the reference to 'balls' presumably. Her sense of humour has always been somewhat immature.

-Anagram (For Mongo) - Rush (from Presto). 'Clever words clever anagrams. His voice is a bit high though isn't it?'

And for the record she hates Motorhead.
"He sounds like he has been chain smoking all his life"
"Uhh yeah, well, it is Lemmy'

Do you guys have mums who can appreciate a good track?

I will please entry anus
Oh my god! Give me spicy pussy
Pussy is good smell
Shit is bad smell

gabber
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:47 am 

Oh and she sings along to Ozzy Bark at the Moon, but she sings it as 'Bugger The Moon' :/

I will please entry anus
Pussy is good smell
Shit is bad smell

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:54 am 

o_O

My collection

CocaineCola
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:04 am 

Your metal sucks if your parents liked it.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:10 am 

My dad has said many times that he actually likes some of the music, but he has a difficult time with the vocals. I'm sure if I got him to listen to some instrumental tracks, he would enjoy them.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:18 am 

My dad likes some power metal. Kamelot, Symphony X etc. My mom hates anything with percussion, basically. She did say she liked a Shpongle track one time.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

gabber
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:13 am 

MikeyC wrote:
My dad has said many times that he actually likes some of the music, but he has a difficult time with the vocals. I'm sure if I got him to listen to some instrumental tracks, he would enjoy them.

indeed. I tried Killers by Maiden with mum. She hated it, except for The Ides of March. Paul's vocals just didn't gel with her. Poor woman, wonder if she suspects that she is a part of my fucked up social experiment.

I will please entry anus
Pussy is good smell
Shit is bad smell

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:18 am 

My mom really liked the acoustic sections on Whoracle last time I played that one in here car.

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:27 am 

My mum usually hates it all, but I remember her saying something non-negative about Drudkh, but can't remember what it was.

My dad loves metal, I go to lots of gigs with him. Last was Anaal Nathrakh, and before that dark fortress, before that Immolation/Marduk. He's been into it though since the eighties to be fair.

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:30 am 

Listens to Nightwish. :ugh:
I'd love to blast a bit of Voivod and make a better-looking gun turret to glue on the tortoise's shell to make it look like Killing Technology, but the wife won't let me. I think I'll get an Emperor penguin instead.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:38 am 

My parents used to really hate all the music I was listening when I was younger. My dad once saw a swastika painted on a wall and thought that was the sign of Metallica. Or so he said. He propably thought metal listeners were all crazy nazis :D Europe's Final Countdown was the only "metal" song my mother ever said good things about. Both of them are more into Finnish schlager and Suomi-Rock and I like some of that stuff too. And that's the music we used to listen in the car when driving around in our holiday trips, never metal. Yeah, they're fucking old and are more into mellow music with "good" lyrics. But I don't care anymore. I guess I'm becoming old too 'cause I don't really care about most of modern metal or pop/rock music.

gabber
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:54 am 

Haha Europe are so parent friendly. As are Bon Jovi ;)

I will please entry anus
Pussy is good smell
Shit is bad smell

Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:17 am 

haha, funny thread this one :P

My mom is a big Queen fan, once caught me listening to Rhapsody's classic Emerald Sword and she really liked it, this happened again, she comes back, I was alone and blasting Spirit Horse of the Cherokee at fucking eleven, she ask:
"what's is this"
"uhr... Manowar"
"because it's good"

She also likes The Ballad of William Kidd, but I don't remember how she came to know the track, so, my mom is pretty metal I guess, haha.

My dad, on the other side, was and still is a great fan of Zepp, Deep Purple, Sabbath, Rainbow and Dio. He doesn't like anything heavier than those, though. Funny thing is, he was, back in the day in the '70-'80 a through and through rocker, he always was really into this "proto-metal" bands (especially Zeppelin), but he also listened (and listens to) Madonna. Now, I'm the one who champions black, power metal and Lady Gaga. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

gabber
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:31 am 

Very common thing too ... parents into Zepp, Sabbath, etc. Pink Floyd, although not metal, are another band that parents always seem to be into if they like the old metal/rock stuff.

I will please entry anus
Pussy is good smell
Shit is bad smell

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:19 am 

My mother usually can put up with (and sometimes enjoy) anything that isn't overtly aggressive and has very memorable hooks; Kamelot, early Nightwish, Helloween (she's more into the Deris era), early Dream Theater..... Oh, and she has quite the good time whenever I put Alice in Chains on. My father, on the other hand, can enjoy practically anything that isn't on Anaal Nathrakh levels of extremity. Hell, he even likes some Obituary and Sepultura, and always asks me to listen to Painkiller when I say I'm gonna spin some Priest.

Aszfargoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:31 am 

My mother has, in the past years, more and more adopted my own preferences in metal, although she has also partially developed her own, of course. When I began listening to black and death metal twelve years or so ago, she couldn't stand it, but three to four years ago, she began to develop an interest in this kind of music (and heavy metal in general, although she does, in general, prefer the genres from speed and thrash metal upwards) which since then hasn't ceased, I'd say her listening habits reflect the rather indiscriminate ones of an enthusiastic rookie, so to speak.

Some of her favourite bands include Kreator, Slayer, Darkthrone, Emperor, Motörhead, the lot.

She simply loves Type O Negative, though.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:35 am 

I remember once my parents were picking me up from the airport in Athens and told me they preferred having to endure what I wanted to listen to than me blasting it through my earphones. That day they listened to Dying Fetus, Overkill, Origin and Suffocation, but they suffered in silence. At the end I played 'Dance of Death' by Maiden to calm them down. On a different occasion I played them 'Enuma Elish' and 'Nemecic' by Rotting Christ as well as 'Persepolis' by Septicflesh. They weren't thrilled.
Mom loves Maiden.

enigmatech
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:39 am 

My mom doesn't listen to any rock or metal, but my Dad is a fan of stuff like Styx, Kansas, and The Moody Blues, likes a little bit of metal: Dream Theater, some Acid Bath, Neurosis, "The Crossing" by Necrophobic, "Beyond the North Waves" by Immortal, and the entire "The Great Execution" album by Krisiun.

I also managed to get my brother into death metal. He's more into video games and doesn't listen music much, but he is now obsessed with Amon Amarth, and has bought almost every single one of their albums. I also managed to get him into Candlemass and "Hammerheart"-era Bathory, and he is also a pretty big Vader fan.

Violent_Possessor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:03 am 

Unfortunately no, to my mom its all a bunch of screaming.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:08 am 

Manilla Road's "Mark Of The Beast" was an instant hit for my mother. Aside from that, she enjoys Pain Of Salvation, Metallica and Megadeth ballads, and Subterranean Masquerade.

Edit: I also got her into Killing Joke with the debut album.

Last edited by MARSDUDE on Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deviante
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:11 am 

So, the thread is about moms, but I guess I'll talk about both of my parents. I'm a bit bored and have the time to post in detail, my apologies. :P

My dad (in his late 40s) is the Depeche Mode/80s pop -kind of guy who likes catchy, danceable music as well as the more dreamier, ambiental stuff. He loves Michael Jackson, mentioned Depeche Mode and stuff like Jean Michel Jarre (which I love too). He also likes bands such as Mötley Crue, Guns 'n Roses, AC/DC and so forth, but immediately stops liking the music when the doublebass -tier tempo is exceeded and/or the music gets a bit grittier. Think the "heaviest" he can handle is something like MoP -era Metallica, but he won't actively listen to something like that. When I was in my teens, he always told me to "stop listening to that screaming stuff", even though in reality he had no objections, just didn't like it himself, though he could tolerate the power metal and whatnot. I recall him even liking Blind Guardian, especially when I told (was spinning Imaginations) that some things are based on the Arthurian legend, lyrically. (Which he loves). I guess I should try to test him more. :P

As for my mom (in her mid 40s), she has always been more of a music lover than my father. She appreciates and still goes to classical music concerts, ranging from symphonies to concertos - I sometimes join her, too. We both absolutely love Tchaikovsky, for instance. She used to play the piano and the violin, but nowadays she is too busy managing the restaurant she owns, so she has no time, apart from playing the piano we have at our parents' place, here and there. I think, in a way, she has a really refined taste and can appreciate everything that is aesthetically pleasing and dynamic music. Which is to say, metal-wise she loves Kamelot, Virgin Steele, Blind Guardian and many other power metal bands. Sure, she likes some heavy/speed/thrash/riffy power metal I've spinned to her, too, but it's a bit too riff-orientated - so while she can appreciate it, she doesn't worship the riff as much as me and the people on this site. As for extreme metal, she doesn't understand black metal, but can see the appeal of death metal and harsh vocals in general. She doesn't listen to extreme metal; she likes some Ikuinen Kaamos and Opeth songs, as well as Amorphis (of late) and their "nice, fitting and mood-enhancing" (sic) use of growls. I think I could get her into metal bigtime if I wanted to, even moreso than she is now.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:24 am 

Deviante, your mother seriously sounds like someone who knows what she likes and what she's talking about. That comment of hers about Amorphis' use of growls is spot on, though not a conclusion that someone who doesn't listen to metal actively would normally reach.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:46 am 

It's been awhile since I've forced my parents to listen to music they wouldn't normally listen to but I remember mommy always being fond of Hammerfall (though she always would get them mixed up with Shadows Fall and call them "Hammers Fall")... Mom's favorite band has always been Rush, even though I'm not a fan, I respect that. Especially since most of the other stuff she listens to is that hippie indie garbage (neko case, Wilco, etc..)

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:53 am 

I used to have CDs or my iPod on while running errands or traveling with my mom and I distinctly recall her really liking Demons And Wizards, Dream Theater, and Iron Maiden among others. Unfortunately, I haven't really had a moment like that with her since high school so I do wonder what it would be like to do something like it these days.

As for my dad, he does like a few metal bands but it's mostly stuff he's already familiar with as a classic rock/country fan.

Natskygge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:09 pm 

My parents don't like metal, which actually surprises me, especially in regards to my father, who otherwise will listen to a lot of different music. (He likes Sex Pistols, so I really don't get why he doesn't like metal. :???:) I've tried playing different songs by different artists to him, and it always ends up with him saying something like "it was good until the guitars began", "why do the guitars/drums have to sound like that" or him not liking the vocals. He used to play beat music 50 years ago, then he began to play jazz. He's kind of allergic to long guitar solos, he thinks it's unnecessary show-off.

He likes Soknadalr by Windir and wasn't completely turned off by Black Metal Jaw by Aura Noir, but those are like the only two exceptions to the rule. And he has a lot of repect for names like Darkthrone who aren't in it for the money, fame and limos, even if he doesn't like the music they make.

My mother does seem to have a soft spot for Korpiklaani, though. At least some of it. And I do believe she once said something like "it sounds alright, but why do they have to look like that" about Immortal. :lol: (A typical "mum-comment" if ever there was one!)
Oh, and they like Rammstein. I guess it's because they both used to teach German at school, so they like German culture and Germany. Especially when the Germans are critical of American culture. Yes, they absolutely loved "Amerika". And I'd say my father redeems himself a bit by having used lyrics by Rammstein in class. (Before they came out with Amerika, I might add.)

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:27 pm 

gabber wrote:
-'The Crown And The Ring' - Manowar (Kings Of Metal). 'So powerful, beautiful music, his voice is powerful and the instruments are powerful too.'

Hehe, my mom also loves that song and basically all more bombastic/ballad-like songs of Manowar ("Kingdom Come", "Courage", you get what I mean). Also Iron Maiden (as this was my first metal band and she was always interested in what moved by in one or the other way) is appreciated. She is from '51 and always was very much into music, esp. the Rolling Stones, Hendrix, early Tina Turner, Bruce Spingsteen etc.
Every now and then she asks me what my fave bands are at the moment and if I could mail her some youtube links to check out. BM and "screaming" metal bands are nothing she would listen to, however just a few months ago I made her a big Of The Wand And The Moon fan :D and from Månegarm's accoustic album "Urminnes Hävd - The Forest Sessions"

edit: the only thing besides "screaming" she just doesn't understand is most album covers. "Why always this monster, blood and eerie stuff? I don't get it." is sth she usually said back when I was still living at home and plastering my walls with posters from Maiden and the like ;)

edit 2: on a sidenote - my dad (born '48) who usually listened (and still does) to Top40 music became a really big fan of Tiamat's "Wildhoney" back in the 90s and every now and then asks if the band is still around ;)

rabidmadman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:36 pm 

My mother is an avid supporter of Cunt Grinder, Mortician, Beherit, Bestial Warlust, Assuck, and Pungent Stench....with the occasional Deep Purple.

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:18 pm 

Dad likes Rhapsody, Mom likes X-Japan (jsut the ballads though).

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:36 pm 

My mum loves power/prog stuff. Falconer, Kamelot, Seventh Wonder, Edguy, Hammerfall, etc. Even some Ensiferum and such. I actually took her to both an Edgu and a Hammerfall gig, bought her shirts from both bands. I managed to find the bands hanging outside the venues afterwards and brought my mum over to meet them and get her stuff signed, haha. My friends thought it was awesome and girls thought it was "so sweet".

Dad likes a Hammerfall, Maiden or Ozzy song here and there but he's more into blues, jazz and folk music.
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

FloristOfVampyrism
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:30 pm 

Aszfargoth wrote:

Some of her favourite bands include Kreator, Slayer, Darkthrone, Emperor, Motörhead, the lot.

She simply loves Type O Negative, though.

So, uh, how's her relationship with your father working out? :)

AmberSilkAmbiguity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:14 pm 

Mom likes Maiden a lot. Dad likes Pink Floyd or more Rock-oriented music. As long as there is no extreme vocals they take quite a bit of liking to it.

-Benedict de Spinoza

gabber
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:34 pm 

Indeed, it is all about the extreme vocals! Parents generally can't tolerate them. Mum always hated Kreator, Sodom, Venom, Bathory. She liked stuff where the singer I guess was a proper trained singer (in a parental approval sense), so anything with Kiske, Eric Adams, Messiah Marcolin, etc was always given positive feedback

I will please entry anus
Pussy is good smell
Shit is bad smell

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:14 pm 

My mom is actually into quite a lot of metal compared to some others that have been mentioned. She's a Led Zeppelin hard rock kinda person at roots, but she seems to really dig a lot of thrash. I know she likes Blind Guardian, Pantera, Opeth, Exodus, and Death quite a bit. Also she seems to have a solid liking for USPM like Fates Warning, Helstar, Sanctuary, and early Queensryche. So yeah pretty cool. Harsh vocals don't seem to bother her nearly as much as they used to.

My dad on the other hand has a big glam metal background and can't seem to listen to anything heavier than Metallica, though he is a sizeable Iron Maiden fan. Other then that he listens to a lot of pop, country, and radio rock type stuff.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:24 pm 

My mom is simply indifferent to most extreme metal, neither showing interest nor disdain. She does, however, likes some traditional and power metal bands like Iron Maiden, Helloween, and especially Savatage. She absolutely loves Edge of Thorns.

My dad's basically into everything.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:34 pm 

Your dad is more metal than you, M_D!

My mom likes most melodic metal without harsh vocals, she liked Symphony X a lot and she liked Black Sabbath's The Eternal Idol much more than the Ozzy era! She mostly likes good singers.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:49 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Your dad is more metal than you, M_D!

I would deny that, but we both know it's basically true. :-P

Quote:
...she liked Black Sabbath's The Eternal Idol much more than the Ozzy era!

So do I!

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:03 pm 

gabber wrote:
Do you guys have mums who can appreciate a good track?

Nice thread.

CocaineCola wrote:
Your metal sucks if your parents liked it.

LOL! YOU suck, troll!

Smalley wrote:
My mom really liked the acoustic sections on Whoracle last time I played that one in here car.

That's easy.

gabber wrote:
Very common thing too ... parents into Zepp, Sabbath, etc. Pink Floyd, although not metal, are another band that parents always seem to be into if they like the old metal/rock stuff.

That too.

Violent_Possessor wrote:
Unfortunately no, to my mom its all a bunch of screaming.

Extreme metal sounds like someone "butchering pigs" for my mum! LOL!

Ok, my mum used to go to discos where Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd and Deep Purple where regularly played!
She also likes (1986) Metallica - Master Of Puppets.

DeathspellDelta
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:41 pm 

My mom appreciates a lot of old-school goth stuff like Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Sisters of Mercy, etc. She said she found some sort of positive vibe from those bands, which was unusual, since they mostly use minor chords and somewhat melancholy vocals, but totally what they were going for, given the lyrics and the nature of post-punk.

She also likes listening to Type O Negative.

katatonia47
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:30 pm 

My mum likes Iron Maiden's Brave New World.
My dad likes my old school stuff like Maiden, Priest and Sabbath, and he's into a lot of my more modern Indie stuff like Modest Mouse and Interpol. I got him into Porcupine Tree as well.

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:07 pm 

A couple years ago I was listening to Riot's Sign Of The Crimson Storm, my mom walked in the room, and thought it was a good song. I was playing Rhapsody in my car with my dad and he liked it, which was really surprising since he can't even listen to Black Sabbath without getting a headache.

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next