Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:40 pm 

Just thinking about bands like Devildriver, Probot, or even Larry Lalonde of Primus who played in Possessed. What are some other relatively popular musicians who've either gone onto a side project that isn't in the realm of popular rock/metal or was in some pretty extreme stuff before making it big.

Here's what I have

Dez of Coal Chamber going onto Devil Driver

Dave Grohl of Foo Fighters/Nirvana making the super group Probot

Phil Anesmo playing in every band known to mankind

Larry Lalonde of Primus playing in Possessed

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

GravityLapse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:54 am 

The bassist (I believe) in Revocation left the band to play pop music. Only time will tell if he actually makes it, I guess.

Can't really think of anyone else.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:13 am 

After they split in the 90s, some members of Forbidden started an alternative rock band. Their singer Russ Anderson also was also in some sort of indie-pop-rock band.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:19 am 

Bill Steer did his blues band that I forget the name of after Carcass broke up.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Cloud0129
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:23 am 

Joey Jordison was in Anal Blast and before Slipknot, was in some thrash band whose name escapes me at the moment. He also guest starred in Necrophagia's Harvest Rituals Vol 1.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:30 am 

Modifidious was Joey's other old band's name. Josh Brainard, who used to be in Slipknot, and Craig Jones, who still is in Slipknot, were in the band as well. As for Anal Blast, Joey was in that, as well as Jim Root and Paul Gray, both of Slipknot too.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:51 am 

Tim from Austere i believe has done some pop stuff

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:02 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/artists/R ... omo/250879
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Ava ... ab_members

Weezer guitarist / vocalist was in a heavy metal band.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:09 am 

Flea,bassist of 'red hot chilli peppers' was in "fear" an oldschool hardcore band,and a thousand others
travis from 'blink182' and Tim Armstrong(rancid) are in the 'Transplants'...not really extreme
singer of 'Rise against' is in metalcore band 'Killing tree'

Last edited by Southern Freeze on Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:20 am 

Riffs wrote:
After they split in the 90s, some members of Forbidden started an alternative rock band. Their singer Russ Anderson also was also in some sort of indie-pop-rock band.

I didn't know that Forbidden had any such forays into non-metal. Anderson's voice is surprisingly well-suited for accessible "post-grungey" rock stuff, actually.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:08 am 

Michael Kiske did some pop stuff after Helloween, didn't he?

I think also Johan Längquist went to softer music after Candlemass.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:09 am 

FleshMonolith wrote:
Larry Lalonde of Primus playing in Possessed
and les claypool both being in blind illusion :nods:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:35 am 

Jonas Akerlund, the famed Grammy winning director of videos by Madonna, Lady Gaga, Britney Spears, etc., was the first drummer for Bathory from 1983 to 1984.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:15 am 

That Swedish guy from the dance act E-Type was in a Heavy Metal band called Hexenhaus, or something like that.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:28 am 

this thread reminded me of The most "metal" person in a band thread

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:18 am 

I heard one of the guys from Thergothon now writes music for pop singers now, dont know how true it is.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:57 am 

Folkemon_ wrote:
I heard one of the guys from Thergothon now writes music for pop singers now, dont know how true it is.

Yes, he writes for Finnish pop-band called PMMP. It's quite good, but I would still rather listen to Thergothon...

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:17 am 

Christian Alvsetam from Scar Symmetry and about ten other metal bands just put out a pop e.p. I'd link it but I'm on my phone so I'll throw it in when I get home today.

Here's the link if anybody is interested in hearing his pop stuff. http://www.metalsucks.net/2012/09/20/ch ... w-solo-ep/

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Last edited by Erosion of Humanity on Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 41299
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:39 pm 

Nicke Andersson, former drummer of Entombed, formed The Hellacopters (now disbanded), which is basically a garage rock band. They're pretty good actually.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:41 pm 

Rocky Gray of Living Sacrifice/Soul Embraced did play in Evanescence for a while

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:53 pm 

that guy in Korn who turned christian (the one who left the band)plays in some shitty christian rock band now,i know coz it was advertised in the christian rock festival thing that happened over here a couple years ago.
Man i watched the douche talking about it on youtube,oh man :roll: he wont be converting nobody

Messiah_X
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:15 pm 

Most of the members of Sentenced used to play in Sentenced.

On a less joking note, Ville from Sentenced and Poisonblack.

I don't think Devildriver is significantly more extreme than Coal Chamber. Their place in the archives doesn't make them any less nu-metal/core in my eyes

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:16 pm 

Ancelot wrote:
Nicke Andersson, former drummer of Entombed, formed The Hellacopters (now disbanded), which is basically a garage rock band. They're pretty good actually.

Nicke Andersson is a genius plain and simple. Here's his soul band, The Solution:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4GTdUaJlLg

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:58 pm 

Messiah_X wrote:
I don't think Devildriver is significantly more extreme than Coal Chamber. Their place in the archives doesn't make them any less nu-metal/core in my eyes

True story, though I find Devildriver far more listenable then Coal Chamber.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:33 pm 

Annie Leclerc, founding and former member of deathgrind Montréal band November Grief; now (or at least later) playing for "disco" band "Special Blend" http://www.myspace.com/specialblendliverevue.. Oh sorry, that's not even rock !

Paule Magnan, former guitar player for groove metal band TSPC, launched a "rock" solo career: http://www.paulemagnan.com/

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:52 pm 

MorbidEngel wrote:
Rocky Gray of Living Sacrifice/Soul Embraced did play in Evanescence for a while

He was also guitarist and vocalist of Shredded Corpse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEja0eaWl_A

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:10 am 

kalervon wrote:
Annie Leclerc, founding and former member of deathgrind Montréal band November Grief; now (or at least later) playing for "disco" band "Special Blend" http://www.myspace.com/specialblendliverevue.. Oh sorry, that's not even rock !

Paule Magnan, former guitar player for groove metal band TSPC, launched a "rock" solo career: http://www.paulemagnan.com/

I say Paule Magnan is pop/rock for sure, she's certainly a good guitarist http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 05s#t=155s

While we're talking about Québecois artists, Marco Caliari must be mentionned. He was the frontman (guitar and lead vocals) of the thrash band Anonymus and after his departure from the band, he's having a good career as a solo artist, he's doing Italian pop, he's quite successful and quite cool if you ask me.

From this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6swUcwkvOjQ to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwnsRPGwAD0

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:16 am 

Several come to mind for me.

Opeth comes to mind immediately. The band today is unrecognizable from the older death metal influenced beast.

Paul Gilbert started out in Racer X, probably best known for supplying Judas Priest their current drummer. He became much bigger with a group called Mr Big, who had that ballad "To Be With You" which went to number 1 in just about every country on the planet.

Jason McMaster of Watchtower flirted with mainstream popularity as the singer in the poor mans Guns' N' Roses known as Dangerous Toys.

Ritchie Blackmore today plays in a folk group with his wife called Blackmore's Night.

Several NWOBHM rock "super groups" were formed from ex-members of well known bands. One of the worst was Lionheart featuring at various times, among others, Dennis Stratton (Iron Maiden), Jess Cox (Tygers of Pan Tang), Rocky Newton (Wildfire), Frank Noon (Def Leppard) and Les Binks (Judas Priest). Another band called Gogmagog managed to make an even worse record. This band featured Iron Maiden rejects Clive Burr and Paul Di'Anno, Def Leppard's Pete Willis, Deep Purple and Black Sabbaths Neil Murray and future Iron Maiden guitarist Janick Gers.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:20 am 

Not really pop, but the excellent guitar duo of Rodrigo y Gabriela were originally in a thrash band together.

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:25 am 

Marco Calliari, yes, but I wouldn't call it Italian pop. It is a genre that I would rather qualify as Italian folk, Italian neo-trad or Italian folklore (though it is a popular genre, especially in Italy and in Italian communities). When I hear the label Italian pop I think of something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtILyC43ltc

On the same topic, Mononc' Serge, though always singing funny and provocating lyrics, switched from a more mainstream musical style to a harder one when playing/recording his albums with Anonymus.

Another case: (I don't know why I keep thinking of women in metal); Caroline Wilson from Mourn (UK, 1993-1995), now a pop/club singer http://www.myspace.com/carolinemfreelance

Paul Masvidal and Sean Reinert from Cynic and who also played on Death's Human album, with the tamer side-project "AEon Spoke" and also the ambient "Portal" project.

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:49 am 

Three members of Rage (except Peavy) left the band after 'Ghosts' to form the pop band Sub7even.

Last edited by metroplex on Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:08 am 

there must be loads of metal/drum n bass dudes out there, it's not like house music or anything, it's hard you know.
spoiler tagged becasue it may not really be what this thread is really about, it sort of is related.
Spoiler: show
there's a drum n bass guy called klute who used to be in a punk or metal band [i don't remember]
also the concord dawn guys are involved in metal bands etc
konflict aka Kemal and Rob Data did a 'remix' of pantera's fucking hostile
not forgetting bong-ra either...

Kigo7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:23 pm 

Nuno Bettencourt from Extreme is now the backing guitarist for Rihanna.

Dave Grohl played drums in a hardcore punk band called Scream before he joined Nirvana in 1990.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:31 pm 

Kigo7 wrote:
Dave Grohl played drums in a hardcore punk band called Scream before he joined Nirvana in 1990.

That's what I came in to say...

Von Jugel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:01 pm 

I think Skid Row's Rachel Bolan used to play for the NJ punk band Genocide.

Von Jugel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:03 pm 

Of course their's Annihilator's Randy Rampage who played bass for DOA too.

Tired
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:43 pm 

Posted before, but GIS Swedish pop band 'Subvision'. Some or all members are the same as if death metal band Repugnant. The currently popular retro band Ghost also consists of at least some of the same people...

GravityLapse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:20 am 

Ah, I remember one. Not exactly pop, but apparently Thurston Moore from Sonic Youth really enjoys black metal, so much so that he joined the "supergroup" Twilight for their next album.

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:33 pm 

Let's see...

Shannon Larkin, the drummer for Godsmack, used to be in the underrated thrash band Souls at Zero (and Wrathchild America, which is that band's former name).

Sully Erna, the singer of Godsmack, used to play drums in Meliah Rage!

Ryan Adams did Werewolf and Orion but both of those suck so...

I guess, since I haven't seen it mentioned, now would be a good time for the obligatory mention that Michael Bolton used to be in a "metal" band.

There are more, I'll post them as I think of them.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:42 pm 

ice-t > body count [who i quite like] :nods:

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next