Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
EmeraldEdge9832
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:11 pm 

When Mercyful Fate opened for Manowar they eventually dropped out of the tour because King Diamond felt that he was being ridiculed for his corpsepaint and horror gimmick. Of course this is not true, Manowar fans love King Diamond, but he didn't know that and after he dropped out, Joey DeMaio of Manowar said something like "He's such a small guy, you could knock him over with a bag of potato chips" LOL

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:29 am 

Subrick wrote:
The FUCK was that Abruptum shit?

Oh god, Abruptum. :lol: I think the keyboards and echoing vocals at the beginning are creepy as fuck, but the song doesn't really go anywhere after the initial shock has worn in. You think that's bad; they have a few albums that are just 30-60 minute long songs of that.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:25 am 

EmeraldEdge9832 wrote:
When Mercyful Fate opened for Manowar they eventually dropped out of the tour because King Diamond felt that he was being ridiculed for his corpsepaint and horror gimmick. Of course this is not true, Manowar fans love King Diamond, but he didn't know that and after he dropped out, Joey DeMaio of Manowar said something like "He's such a small guy, you could knock him over with a bag of potato chips" LOL

That only goes on to further establish DeMaio's status as a pretentious meathead. Oh yes, because your loincloths and Conan knock off looks are the epitome of dignity! :finger:

I wonder what led King to believe that he was being mocked though. He seems like a pretty sensible person, so I seriously doubt that it was just a tantrum of his.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:36 pm 

That and the fact Meryful fate opened for those hacks.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:58 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Subrick wrote:
The FUCK was that Abruptum shit?

Oh god, Abruptum. :lol: I think the keyboards and echoing vocals at the beginning are creepy as fuck, but the song doesn't really go anywhere after the initial shock has worn in. You think that's bad; they have a few albums that are just 30-60 minute long songs of that.

And they're pretty awesome in their fucked up, kind of crapulent way. i used to put on one of those albums in the background when I was talking in between sets on my radio show. Is it good music? No way, but it's the kind of thing I imagine a bunch of drugged up freaks creating one night while having the worst trip imaginable and banging and pounding on whatever they could find, and then lathering everything in a ridiculous amount of reverb so that anybody listening thinks they're hearing the torture engines of Hell...

of course the early stuff actually has discernible guitars and death metal vocals, which is, well, not that interesting actually.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

EmeraldEdge9832
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:08 pm 

Joey DeMaio's fucking awesome, and so is King Diamond. Manowar didn't do anything bad to them, and frankly for King Diamond to drop out of a tour is a contemptible thing to do, from a fan's point of view.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:37 pm 

Oh please Emerald, you're pretty biased; more than once has DeMaio showed strong signs of douchebaggery and pretentiousness. To such degree, in fact, that I refuse to believe that King Diamond dropped from the tour just because until proven otherwise.

Kigo7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:31 pm 

Not sure if this is a relevant question but is Joey DeMaio responsible for all the lineup changes in Manowar?

Dunno if people have mentioned it, but Paul DiAnno really seems to dislike his former bandmates in Iron Maiden, and there was a clip of him on Youtube calling Iron Maiden "The Spice Girls" which is funny coming from a man who has more or less lived on the fact that he made 2 albums with Iron Maiden.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:50 pm 

Kigo7 wrote:
Not sure if this is a relevant question but is Joey DeMaio responsible for all the lineup changes in Manowar?

Most probably, yes. Joey DeMaio is increasingly responsible for pretty much everything, with just a little input from Eric Adams.

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:13 pm 

"I think Bruce's high operatic and theatrical type voice is better suited to MAIDEN's later material, but I honestly think he sounds like a fucking fairy when he is trying to fill my shoes on songs from the first two albums. My voice is aggressive and violent (kind of like me in a way) and it sounds like someone dragged me up from a low-class background and I was used to having a regular fucking good kicking (in the bollocks) every now and then. On the other hand, Bruce's voice is sang in The Queen's English — very politely and with all the letters pronounced properly, and you can imagine him practising his sword fencing whilst practising his vocal exercises. He sounds like a very nice public school boy (which he was) who used to sing in the local church choir after school and was an instant hit with all the old grannies. Meanwhile, I was getting my dick sucked by all the fanny in the park being the fucking animal that I have always been. Bruce is silver but I am gold, as simple as that really." -Paul Di'Anno

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:28 pm 

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Whatever you say, Paulie. Whatever you say.

Just to clarify, I'll state that I'm not knocking on his opinion regarding how Dickinson performs material from the first two albums (as I even somewhat agree, though I'd never say he sounds like a fairy), but the idiotic way in which he expressed it. Also, Bruce is silver but you are gold? You, the washed up, bitter jackass, is gold? :lol:

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:02 am 

Kigo7 wrote:

Dunno if people have mentioned it, but Paul DiAnno really seems to dislike his former bandmates in Iron Maiden, and there was a clip of him on Youtube calling Iron Maiden "The Spice Girls" which is funny coming from a man who has more or less lived on the fact that he made 2 albums with Iron Maiden.

Di'Anno seems to live in a world where everyone thinks the only good Maiden albums were the ones with him in it.

Erisgaroth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:05 am 

For me is hard to decide who is better (i'm going for Dickinson after minutes of thinking and thinking), but Di'Anno, you look cool when you are silent. You have nothing more to say. Make music instead, that's a lot better.

RacoCooper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:15 pm 

Kigo7 wrote:

DiAnno seems to really have it out for Steve Harris. I remember seeing some live video from DiAnno where he slammed Harris for controlling Maiden and turning them into a "business" or something along those lines.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:23 pm 

When bands become as big as Maiden is, of course the business side comes into. Not that he would know considering he's the heavy metal version of Pete Best.

What an idiot.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:30 pm 

Erisgaroth wrote:
For me is hard to decide who is better (i'm going for Dickinson after minutes of thinking and thinking), but Di'Anno, you look cool when you are silent. You have nothing more to say. Make music instead, that's a lot better.

Sorry, he can't hear you over the sound of recording Wrathchild for the ten millionth time. I keep hoping for another actual album but it just seems like it'll never happen...

EmeraldEdge9832
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:54 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Oh please Emerald, you're pretty biased; more than once has DeMaio showed strong signs of douchebaggery and pretentiousness. To such degree, in fact, that I refuse to believe that King Diamond dropped from the tour just because until proven otherwise.

I disagree. I understand where the man is coming from and what drives him to be such an over-the-top, hot headed kind of guy. He's got drive, ambition, and a work ethic that very, very few people have.

Does it really matter what the reason is for Diamond dropping out of the tour? He chose to drop out of the tour, that's all that matters. It's a contemptible thing to do.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:30 pm 

This page here seems to shed some light on the Manowar/Mercyful Fate story. I find it hard to believe that what Joey describes to be the cause of the dispute.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:48 pm 

Terri23 wrote:
This page here seems to shed some light on the Manowar/Mercyful Fate story. I find it hard to believe that what Joey describes to be the cause of the dispute.

I find it entirely plausible that King Diamond could have been laughed off the stage plenty of times during the English tour considering it was 1983 and Mercyful Fate's schtick was ahead of its time.

Senton
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:39 am 

Wasn't there some rumour/urban legend that King Diamond placed a curse of Manowar or some other band?

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:35 am 

EmeraldEdge9832 wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:

I disagree. I understand where the man is coming from and what drives him to be such an over-the-top, hot headed kind of guy. He's got drive, ambition, and a work ethic that very, very few people have.

Does it really matter what the reason is for Diamond dropping out of the tour? He chose to drop out of the tour, that's all that matters. It's a contemptible thing to do.

Yes, DeMaio has drive and ambition and bla bla bla, but he's also an egomaniacal, pretentious wacko with a head the size of Mars and who doesn't accept nor apparently can understand criticism. Now, I doubt that anyone who isn't a Manowar fanboy won't agree with me on that account.

Back to the KD thing; I don't believe a word from DeMaio, because as said before, he's an insane egomaniac, and King Diamond isn't known to badmouth people for no good reason, while Manowar will attack any musicians they deem as "posers" (whatever the hell that word means nowadays). And it's not contemptible to drop out of a tour if you're being treated like crap and the audience doesn't take you seriously.

iAmDisturbed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:29 am 

What is contemptible is that stupid interview with Joey and Rhino or Zebra or whatever the fuck he is!

Quote:
This King Diamond or Queen Diamond joined us on our tour, cause Mercyful Fate had signed to the same record label like Manowar. We thought, it would be cool, to take them with us. When they showed up, we heard, that their equipment was only hired! We gave them drum sticks and guitar strings and told them, just to tell us, if they would need more stuff. Then we told Mercyful Fate, we would be glad, to have them with us, cause it was the first tour in England for both bands. It was our intention, to do the best shows we can. King Diamond and his band used our P.A. and our lights, but they were not a very professional band. They didn't had the experience, so our crew helped them, to build up the equipment. When the English people saw King Diamond's face painting and the chicken bones, they started to laugh! Mercyful Fate left the stage and refused to go on with the tour! Instead of coming back on the stage to proof, that he believes in his music, he fucked his fans! Later on, King Diamond told everybody, that we treated him bad. Ten years are gone now and he still hasn't appologized for having told lies about Manowar! We have never treated a support act bad. Ask Gamma Ray, Risk or Drifter!

:nono:

EmeraldEdge9832
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:24 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
Yes, DeMaio has drive and ambition and bla bla bla, but he's also an egomaniacal, pretentious wacko with a head the size of Mars and who doesn't accept nor apparently can understand criticism. Now, I doubt that anyone who isn't a Manowar fanboy won't agree with me on that account.

Back to the KD thing; I don't believe a word from DeMaio, because as said before, he's an insane egomaniac, and King Diamond isn't known to badmouth people for no good reason, while Manowar will attack any musicians they deem as "posers" (whatever the hell that word means nowadays). And it's not contemptible to drop out of a tour if you're being treated like crap and the audience doesn't take you seriously.

I am a huge Manowar fan, and I not only absolutely love the band's music, but I think Joey DeMaio is one of the coolest, most badass people to ever live. Of course he's egotistical; I would also be that way if I were in his shoes. It's not necessarily a bad thing to be if you deserve it, and I believe he does deserve it because he works his fucking ass off all day and never rests.

As far as King Diamond, well, I'm a huge fan of his too, and it's not my intention to bash them, but if I have to take sides I'm gonna go with DeMaio. It wasn't any kind of big deal. There's no hard feelings against King Diamond from Manowar or any Manowar fan that I've ever met.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:16 pm 

EmeraldEdge9832 wrote:
I am a huge Manowar fan, and I not only absolutely love the band's music, but I think Joey DeMaio is one of the coolest, most badass people to ever live. Of course he's egotistical; I would also be that way if I were in his shoes. It's not necessarily a bad thing to be if you deserve it, and I believe he does deserve it because he works his fucking ass off all day and never rests.

This is it. I won't keep this discussion going, because there's no point in it, as when you actually believe that people can have any kind of good excuse to be an egomaniac, then you're just too biased to lead an intelligent discussion about them. No hard feelings Emerald, but I don't think that you can have a serious, realistic discussion about Manowar.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:31 pm 

iAmDisturbed wrote:
This King Diamond or Queen Diamond joined us on our tour, cause Mercyful Fate had signed to the same record label like Manowar. We thought, it would be cool, to take them with us. When they showed up, we heard, that their equipment was only hired! We gave them drum sticks and guitar strings and told them, just to tell us, if they would need more stuff. Then we told Mercyful Fate, we would be glad, to have them with us, cause it was the first tour in England for both bands. It was our intention, to do the best shows we can. King Diamond and his band used our P.A. and our lights, but they were not a very professional band. They didn't had the experience, so our crew helped them, to build up the equipment. When the English people saw King Diamond's face painting and the chicken bones, they started to laugh! Mercyful Fate left the stage and refused to go on with the tour! Instead of coming back on the stage to proof, that he believes in his music, he fucked his fans! Later on, King Diamond told everybody, that we treated him bad. Ten years are gone now and he still hasn't appologized for having told lies about Manowar! We have never treated a support act bad. Ask Gamma Ray, Risk or Drifter!

I'll ask Avenger instead if it's all the same to you Joey!

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

EmeraldEdge9832
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:15 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
EmeraldEdge9832 wrote:

This is it. I won't keep this discussion going, because there's no point in it, as when you actually believe that people can have any kind of good excuse to be an egomaniac, then you're just too biased to lead an intelligent discussion about them. No hard feelings Emerald, but I don't think that you can have a serious, realistic discussion about Manowar.

I really don't care if he's an egomaniac or not. If he wasn't an egomaniac he just wouldn't be Joey. His ego is one piece of his entire character, which I would describe as very strong, intense, and passionate.

But is there any big rock star who doesn't have an ego? I think it's natural to feel that type of pride when you get to be at that level of success.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:49 pm 

EmeraldEdge9832 wrote:
(...) is there any big rock star who doesn't have an ego? I think it's natural to feel that type of pride when you get to be at that level of success.

Everyone has an ego, in fact. Some people have smaller egos than others, and the ones with bigger egos usually like to rub their "superiority" in other people's faces. Still, I don't care how talented you are, you have no right to call yourself hot shit just because you're good at something. Show no false modesty? By all means, do it. False modesty is annoying. Recognize your own abilities and skills? That's great, and a good sign of self-esteem. Treat people like garbage and be a petulant ass because you believe that your particular set of skills puts you above others? FUCK. OFF.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:55 pm 

And that's the precise reason why "rockstar" is frequently used as an insult: because so many musicians who have gained some degree of fame have let it go to their heads and have become complete assholes as a result.

EmeraldEdge9832
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:58 pm 

Well you're certainly entitled to your views and likewise I'm entitled to mine. I have the utmost respect for Joey DeMaio.

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:39 pm 

Hank and Michael from Mercyful Fate commented on that conflict briefly in one interview, saying that gave them really bad press in the UK or something but didn't elaborate on it. I don't care what happened, but the fact DeMaio would come back to something as pointless as being skinny or whatever as something to insult someone with makes him come across particularly as a meat head. Plus King's not THAT skinny at least not from what I've observed.

I've never heard the guys from MF go out of their way to bad mouth other bands, and any musicians who do that are being childish and trying to start feuds, something DeMaio is exceptionally good at. It's too bad his skills don't extend to knowing how to right a halfway decent metal album anymore but I digress.

Wasn't there some kind of conflict between Slayer and the first wave black metal bands? I know Kerry obviously did that throw down Morbid Tales on that metal show, but I also remember hearing conflict between them and Bathory as well.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:15 pm 

I have it on good authority that Joey DeMaio is a douche. The former owner of Jaxx in Springfield, VA said that he was a bigger asshole to deal with than Yngwie! As a result Manowar did not play Jaxx! As for King...I have talked with him (at length) on several occasions and was even a guest in his home and he was the most genuine and coolest person in I've met.

Last edited by mjollnir on Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EmeraldEdge9832
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:41 pm 

Taking the side of a venue owner over one of the best metal musicians to ever live? Venue owners can be some of the biggest assholes on the planet.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:20 pm 

Anybody that has ever been to Jaxx and talked to Jay knows he is far from an asshole.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:50 am 

EmeraldEdge9832 wrote:
Taking the side of a venue owner over one of the best metal musicians to ever live? Venue owners can be some of the biggest assholes on the planet.

And they frequently lose out when the promoters they have get sick of their bullshit, go to greener pastures, and spread the word about their douchebaggery. Once they find themselves unable to recruit promoters who aren't slimy, lying sacks of shit who will regularly rip both the venue and the bands off, they're shit outta luck and will probably be out of business in a few months. If you own a venue, it's definitely in your best interest to NOT piss people off and just generally act like a decent human being.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:51 am 

Manowar are fucking awful and nowhere in the same universe musically as Mercyful fate, its sad that in one of the few places where Manowar has any sort of following the UK that the fans treated them that way. Demaio's bass playing makes Into glory ride sound like the heavy metal version of None so vile, he's one to talk especially since his band can't even sell out tours in the states.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

enigmatech
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:20 am 

Veracs wrote:
Demaio's bass playing makes Into glory ride sound like the heavy metal version of None so vile

I'm not too familiar with Manowar, but what I heard I didn't much like either (only ever heard "Kings of Metal" and boy, it was not for me...), and I as a massive Mercyful Fate (and King Diamond) fan I agree with what you are saying...but with that said, I don't get the comparison in this post. Perhaps this is because I have never heard the Manowar album. Are you simply comparing the extremely prominent bass on both albums, or something else? "None so Vile" seems to be an odd choice for a comparison to a Manowar album, :lol:.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:43 am 

To be fair some of the material on Into glory ride and Hail to England is solid heavy metal, the riffs are weak but the choruses are very well devised and Adam's when he isn't delving into his annoying manly voice enunciation crap is actually quite a capable singer. The bass is quite high and I can't think of any heavy metal album I've ever heard with that high of a bass, its literally is buzzing at certain intervals of Into glory ride. Its incredibly annoying and lessens the experience of the album.

Under_Starmere wrote:

misogynisticfeminist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:22 am 

EmeraldEdge9832 wrote:
I really don't care if he's an egomaniac or not. If he wasn't an egomaniac he just wouldn't be Joey. His ego is one piece of his entire character, which I would describe as very strong, intense, and passionate.

Man, I'm getting some weird vibes from these past few posts. I've never really checked out Manowar, because it seems sort of... silly... but are all Manowar fans like this?

SleightOfVickonomy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:44 am 

Emerald maybe you should kiss him to show how much you appreciate him and his ego! I mean, JAYZUS!

Mercyful Fate was and always will be held in highest regard. They were true visionaries. It is pretty ironic if that audience did laugh at MF because at length, Manowar has the more laughable career.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:08 pm 

Veracs wrote:
Manowar are fucking awful and nowhere in the same universe musically as Mercyful fate

Actually, they're very much in the same universe. Both bands are were influenced by the exact same bands (Sabbath, Purple, Priest) came out around the same time (80, 81) and were leaders of a wave bands who took early heavy metal elements and themes to put them at the forefront. For Manowar, it was the fantasy feel and epic elements, for Mercyful Fate, it was darkness and the occult but both delved head first into imaginary worlds and history. They both incorporated their respective themes into their music, where some care was put into creating a mood. Both have their detractors for that, and are sometimes criticized for being overly dramatic.

Both bands have kickass albums and their early output was a little underestimated at the time. Both developed a loyal following because of their uniqueness and both influenced a shit ton of bands you probably like today because they were amazing and groundbreaking.

Mercyful Fate and Manowar are very much alike. They liked the same things, came out at the same time and took different paths because they had the talent and vision to mold the influences of the giants before them into their own thing.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next