Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:19 pm 

SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
really? What did Jason Newstead do besides be around for some of Metallica's more awful moments?

Flotsam and Jetsam

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:13 pm 

really? What did Jason Newstead do besides be around for some of Metallica's more awful moments?

Composed "Blackened" and the intro to "My Friend of Misery" (the only truly great moment of the black album), as well as heavily contributed to the first 2 Flotsam & Awesome albums. But this isn't what this thread is about, if I understood it correctly.

One metal musician who's a huge metal fan and collector is Oscar Dronjak (HammerFall, but also Ceremonial Oath before that). Love it or hate him, the man simply can't get enough 80s metal vinyls, no matter how obscure or famous. You can hear the direct influence bands from this era had on his riffing and songwriting. He's most likely more into metal, or at least more knowledgeable than the rest of the band, too: I distinctly remember, when 'Legacy of Kings' had just came out, a Joacim Cans interview where they asked him about the rather clear homage to Savatage's HotMK that is the cover art, and he said something along the lines of "I keep hearing that, but I've never even seen that album's cover in my life!". There's no shade of doubt that Dronjak had, and that it was deliberate. From the interviews I read of him, the guy is equally happy and at ease discussing bands like GraveStone, Scanner, Griffin or Hallow's Eve as he is Maiden, Helloween or Running Wild. He also covered a number of his metal idols with his band, be it huge bands of his field like Accept and Helloween, or significantly more obscure bands like Picture and Warlord. Always came across as an avid metal fan first and foremost to me.

RyffHyena
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:55 pm 

The most metal person SHOULD be the frontman, who represents everything the band is. But sometimes, this isn't the case. Karl Sanders and George Kollias are the most metal members of Nile, and neither of them.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:01 pm 

jason newstead [jasonic] played on the voivod album katorz too, the interview with him on the metallica video some kind of monster was interesting.

dan lilker is a good one, in interviews i've seen he talks about how if he had his way they [nuclear assault?] would have been full on death metal, but the other guys wanted to do thrash ha ha GO DAN! :metal:
he's scratched that itch since then though

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:38 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
I also have to give Dave Grohl some credit for Probot. Any idiot in the early 2000s would've picked guys from Slipknot or Limp Bizkit for their "metal" project, but recruiting guys from bands like Venom, Cathedral, and Motorhead gives him some serious street cred in my eyes. That and Nirvana had more metal influence in their sound than the average music historian would have you believe.

Not sure I can consider him too metal frankly because I hate the foo fighters and he only got involved with one metal album which he put together while being involved with all rock bands. If he was so metal why didn't he play in a metal band over rock bands? Foo fighters is a pet peeve of mine, mainly because I don't like his vocals at all though the instrumentation is ok for commercial rock. Nirvana did have some metal influence on some of their heavier stuff, particularly Bleach which was my favorite album by them because it was the most raw and least melodic. You certainly do have to give him props for trying to raise money to help Chuck though.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:49 pm 

AcidWorm wrote:
I also have to give Dave Grohl some credit for Probot. Any idiot in the early 2000s would've picked guys from Slipknot or Limp Bizkit for their "metal" project, but recruiting guys from bands like Venom, Cathedral, and Motorhead gives him some serious street cred in my eyes. That and Nirvana had more metal influence in their sound than the average music historian would have you believe.

Not sure I can consider him too metal frankly because I hate the foo fighters and he only got involved with one metal album which he put together while being involved with all rock bands. If he was so metal why didn't he play in a metal band over rock bands? Foo fighters is a pet peeve of mine, mainly because I don't like his vocals at all though the instrumentation is ok for commercial rock. Nirvana did have some metal influence on some of their heavier stuff, particularly Bleach which was my favorite album by them because it was the most raw and least melodic. You certainly do have to give him props for trying to raise money to help Chuck though.

I don't doubt that he's a big fan of metal (the mainstream variety), but his passion was with rock music. Most of his inspiration came from rock / punk acts as far as various biographies and interviews suggest.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:05 am 

People like you really don't belong here.

Neal Tanaka is without doubt the most metal person ever. The guy travels around the world to see metal gigs and festivals, his record collection is probably the most complete metal collection in the world, and the guy has devoted his life to metal. His dedication is recognised to such a degree that Japanese headbangers Metalucifer portray him on just about every album cover. Though not a member of any current band listed on these archives, the man is surely more than qualified for a mention in this discussion. He isn't referred to as "The Master" for nothing.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Messiah_X
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:30 am 

Agree with Neal Tanaka. I mentioned him in the same context as Gezol, but he does deserve his own mention here because he is one of the most metal people on Earth.

How about Roxxcalibur? Sure, they're a cover band, but they must be some of the biggest NWOBHM fans in the world to do what they do. They have covered some of the most obscure NWOBHM 7" bands such as Arc and Hollow Ground at the same time as Maiden and Saxon. I can't imaine another cover band with the time and passion to hunt down and recruit such a huge number of NWOBHM musicians to act as guests for their live sets. Out of sheer passion for this important movement in metal history, these guys have come up with a way for the younger generation of metalheads to experience the closest thing they ever will experience to seeing some of these short-lived metal bands live.

godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:44 am 

Quote:
Not sure I can consider him too metal frankly because I hate the foo fighters and he only got involved with one metal album which he put together while being involved with all rock bands. If he was so metal why didn't he play in a metal band over rock bands?

Because rock bands paid money and he wanted to play rock music. He made his metal record to satiate what he sees as his inner 16 year old and I think he's happy with it.

gummyfish
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:24 pm 

Devin Townsend
he is metal incarnate, with his lyrics, intensity, and the density of his production style.
From "Far Beyond Metal":
"Know that the music industry's ill,
and we're the fucking antidote,
One line and you're out of control,
Yeah, you fucking suck!
HEY!
King Rau, BEAT ALL,
Fucking...STRENGTH!
Oh, you ironic pop-rock fuck!
Don't you fuck with metal!
One line and you're out of control,
Yeah we fucking own you!"

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:39 pm 

Isn't Dave Gorhl even more of a laughing stock than Cobain?

godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:57 pm 

vengefulgoat wrote:

Isn't Dave Gorhl even more of a laughing stock than Cobain?

Well, let's see here. Dave Grohl is alive, rich, has a band capable of selling out arenas in pretty much every market in the world where an arena stands, didn't marry a heroin addled stripper, didn't get himself a drug habit that he blamed on "mystery stomach aliments" instead of the fact that his body really wanted opiates, did I already say he was still alive? That too, in case.

as to "he was in punk bands, he didn't listen to metal"; please refer to most of the characters in the DC Hardcore scene that people cared enough about to write books or to publish books from. Ian McKaye and Henry Rollins used to go to Van Halen shows together, for fuck's sake.

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:56 pm 

godsonsafari wrote:

Well, let's see here. Dave Grohl is alive, rich, has a band capable of selling out arenas in pretty much every market in the world where an arena stands, didn't marry a heroin addled stripper, didn't get himself a drug habit that he blamed on "mystery stomach aliments" instead of the fact that his body really wanted opiates, did I already say he was still alive? That too, in case.

It looks like you think a person who leads probably a very happy life, achieved fame & fortune cannot be considered a laughing stock, don't you? That's quite different point of view from mine.

Anyway, just to give an appearance that this post is on topic, I think Marco from Nightwish is a good example. Aside from the known fact that Tarja wasn't into metal at all and neither was Anette it seems now, the other guys had some metal projects unknown to me, but Marco just fits that metalhead stereotype the most it seems. And some Tarot stuff is golden.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:17 pm 

godsonsafari wrote:
Ian McKaye and Henry Rollins used to go to Van Halen shows together, for fuck's sake.

Why does that sound like the most fun thing ever?

godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:24 pm 

Quote:
It looks like you think a person who leads probably a very happy life, achieved fame & fortune cannot be considered a laughing stock, don't you? That's quite different point of view from mine.

Could he be? I guess. Anyone who has achieved fame and fortune has detractors. I think he copes with that summarily.

maxxpower
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:05 pm 

I wonder which of the two Cobalt guys is more metal.

enigmatech
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:17 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
I don't doubt that he's a big fan of metal (the mainstream variety)

I know Dave Grohl's a big fan of Unleashed (in addition to Celtic Frost and Death). He even tried to get Johnny Hedlund on the Probot album, but that didn't work out for reasons I won't go into here. He seems to have a rather wide variety of influences, though.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:00 am 

Marag wrote:
The most metal person in a band is the one who dies of alcohol related problems/commits suicide first

I'd say Silenius is the most metal member of Summoning, being a former Abigor member and all, while Protector seems to lean towards other kinds of music from what I've read in interviews.
Not that Summoning is a particularly "metal" band, but whatever.

I dunno about that, I remember an interview with Protector saying he was really influenced by Cirith Ungol. I'm sure he listens to other forms of music as well. So does Fenriz.

Von Jugel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:12 am 

Paul "My grandma can thrash harder than you.....and she's fucking dead" Baloff

"Every time I was in a room with him, I was invisible." - Billy Milano

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:38 am 

vengefulgoat wrote:
godsonsafari wrote:

This whole thing is retarded. Who the fuck is laughing at the Foo Fighters? Laughing stock to whom? For what? To a bunch of dudes who aren't famous that he knew from the 90s? To a bunch of fucking nobodies on a metal forum? Maybe to his former bandmates who no longer wanted to work with him? By "legitimate" musicians? I mean, what the fuck are you even talking about?

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:45 pm 

Newsted was the most metal member of Metallica when he joined, by a mile. Not only the attitude in stage (I guess some people here saw Metallica live with him) but also in his normal life; he was passionate to the point of not having children to be able to tour with Metallica (he didn't want to be an absent father) and now he plays in small bars to have fun (cause he doesn't need the money or fame).

If people here is discussing metalness in non-metal bands, Mark Tremonti from Creed is kinda a metalhead, even his solo album it's heavier than anything he has done before (AIC kinda heavy with some fast thrash moments here and there).

About the general concept of 'metal guy', Lemmy and Fenriz fits the stereotypes quite well, maybe Abbath too.

Eric Peterson could be considered the most metal member of Testament, not just he's the main songwriter, but he also did black metal with Dragonlord. Gene Hoglan should count too, after all he was a part of some of the greatest albums in death and thrash metal.

ElsaMetal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:54 pm 

Anselmo, Lee Dorrian and Dave Culross!
Speaking of Metallica i would say Cliff and Kirk...

Kigo7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:39 pm 

In Cliff's case, he brought a lot to Metallica in addition to metal, and he was a classically trained musician who helped to make some of Metallica's best musical moments. Not only that, but Cliff was incredibly passionate about what he did and even ceded any say he would've had in Metallica to just contribute music.

Not too sure about Kirk Hammett to be honest

truvelocity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:38 am 

Kirk Hammett mentions things like King Crimson and Rush as his most important influences. He really isn't that "metal". I remember reading an interview he did in Revolver and he was mentioning Trivium and Lamb Of God as some of the best metal he has heard in a long time. Come on now...

The most metal person in metal is RALF SCHEEPERS!

And isn't it funny how Manowar professes to be "metal" yet they are rather out of touch with what's going on around them in the metal world. You can't even really peg down what influenced them because on their newer material they seem to be influenced by themselves.

SladeCraven
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:05 am 

[/quote]
It looks like you think a person who leads probably a very happy life, achieved fame & fortune cannot be considered a laughing stock, don't you? That's quite different point of view from mine. [/quote]

This whole thing is retarded. Who the fuck is laughing at the Foo Fighters? Laughing stock to whom? For what? To a bunch of dudes who aren't famous that he knew from the 90s? To a bunch of fucking nobodies on a metal forum? Maybe to his former bandmates who no longer wanted to work with him? By "legitimate" musicians? I mean, what the fuck are you even talking about?[/quote]

Absolutely agreed. Unless you've got some miraculous sense making point hidden up your ass somewhere I fail to see what you're on about with Dave Grohl.

Jasper92
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:42 am 

Paul Baloff was the first to came to mind with me.
From what i've seen in documentary's he was the spirit of metal in person.

Also Rob Halford is very metal to me.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:23 pm 

I'd say Erik Rutan! He's such a recognized metal figure in the scene both in terms of his bands (Ripping Corpse, MA, Hate Eternal) and his work as a producer.

~Guest 253590
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:03 pm 

The most metal person, in my opinion, isn't a musician, but a reviewer on this website, and that's 'autothrall'. Not only a great reviewer, but he obviously lives and breathes heavy metal, and is open-minded to about every sub-genre there is. He'll review everything from Deep Purple to Bathory to Lizzy Borden, and he always sounds like he's done a fair amount of research on each band and the type of metal that they play.

I mean, it's either that or he's the biggest nerd in metal. XD

autothrall
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:14 pm 

Metalhead1995 wrote:
I mean, it's either that or he's the biggest nerd in metal. XD

Signs point to the latter, but I do appreciate the sentiment, sir.

My own vote must be cast for Udo or Lemmy, because both pretty much embody that 'mythic' quality for me and they're still kicking ass for the most part. Though if we're talking in terms of being a collector, someone like Fenriz would be a better fit.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:25 pm 

You can send him a PM or talk about him in the review forum, damn, it's almost fellatio. Also, don't revive threads with an off topic post.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2