Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:42 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Subrick wrote:
Breakdowns of any kind can be actually good when used properly and not to excess. That's the way I've always felt about them at least.

Same as a pinch harmonic or a falsetto wail (King Diamond excluded, of course) or a gravity blast or tapping solo or anything. Breakdowns just bear the brunt of the baseless discrimination because they're easy to do and so shitty bands use them as a crutch. Roughly half of the people with this mindset also hate ultra noodly tech death for the exact opposite reason. I pulled that statistic straight out of my ass but you all know I'm right.

Definitely agree. I lump breakdown heavy metalcore/deathcore/hardcore with nu-metal and groove metal a lot since a lot of times its more about the groove and rhythm the actual riffs being played. Call me crazy but that's what I think.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:47 pm 

They just totally turn me off and are synonymous with all the tough guy hardcore, metalcore, and deathcore bands I can't stand. Different strokes for different folks and all, obviously enjoyment of music is entirely subjective, but breakdowns of that nature are not a part of the styles of music I enjoy.

And you nailed it BH, I think the VAST majority of tech death is boring garbage.

I think the bottom line is I want RIFFS not noodley show offs and not single note chugga chuggas... RIFFS. BOLT THROWER GOD DAMNIT.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:53 pm 

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
BOLT THROWER GOD DAMNIT.

I let a scene kid listen to Bolt Thrower and he said that "ohmygawd this song is the best breakdown ever." He thought their entire song was a breakdown. I guess it's good he enjoyed them, clueless idiot or not.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:56 pm 

They just totally turn me off and are synonymous with all the tough guy hardcore, metalcore, and deathcore bands I can't stand. Different strokes for different folks and all, obviously enjoyment of music is entirely subjective, but breakdowns of that nature are not a part of the styles of music I enjoy.

And you nailed it BH, I think the VAST majority of tech death is boring garbage.

I think the bottom line is I want RIFFS not noodley show offs and not single note chugga chuggas... RIFFS. BOLT THROWER GOD DAMNIT.

Bolt Thrower has a fair amount of groovy chuggery, though.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:03 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:

Bolt Thrower has a fair amount of groovy chuggery, though.

This is true, and groovy stuff is awesome and totally acceptable but there's a pretty big difference in Bolt Thrower's execution as opposed to Emmure and bands of their ilk.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:12 pm 

It is snowing heavily here in the metro Detroit area. This type of morning is made for a good book, some Beethoven quartets on the stereo and a cup of tea. Or curling up on the couch and watching old Universal horror films.

Or punching numbers at work.

Guess which I'm doing?

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:40 pm 

We got a ton of snow in Reno. About a foot at my parents place up in the hills where I'm staying got at least a foot and a half and even the valley got it rough. A friend of mine who works at a ski resort said it's the best snow they've gotten in at least a decade.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:59 pm 

Weird that you say that Miz, we got no snow in Grand Rapids. At all. We haven't had any all year. I want it! :cry: :brick:

Obligatory Last FM Link

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:43 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
GuntherTheUndying wrote:
I have a $50 Amazon gift card and I have no goddamn idea what I should get.

Whatever you get, please click one of our links on M-A before adding items to your cart and checking out. ;)
I had a 25 dollar Amazon gift card I got for Christmas. I found an awesome CD from a band called doom snake cult for 25 dollars.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:45 pm 

Just a heads up for any of you heathens who don't already have Secret Sudaria by Mortuary Drape: 20 Buck Spin has the CD edition on sale for $4.99. This thing is a fucking undeniable masterpiece of Mercyful Fate-derived black metal. Tons of incredible riffs and bass work, with a palpable occult atmosphere.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:53 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
I've started watching Archer. This was a great choice.

Archer is an excellent choice. :thumbsup:

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:26 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Just a heads up for any of you heathens who don't already have Secret Sudaria by Mortuary Drape: 20 Buck Spin has the CD edition on sale for $4.99. This thing is a fucking undeniable masterpiece of Mercyful Fate-derived black metal. Tons of incredible riffs and bass work, with a palpable occult atmosphere.

Shit. Just bought 3 CD's for 18 bucks there from Incantation, Atheist, and Mayhem.

TheJizzHammer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:00 pm 

Jonpo wrote:

Thanks for the heads up! After reading your post I went and grabbed Mortuary Drape's Secret Sudaria and Leviathan's True Traitor, True Whore for a measly twelve bucks. EXCELLENT.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:25 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
I guess by pure dumb luck, if nothing else, I don't tend to encounter rapey intros/outros in metal very often at all, so the impression struck me as somewhat novel.

It's certainly a thing though.
Huge surprise: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_80oOJXIl0
& The beginning of "And I Softly Kissed My Sword" from the 1st Summoning demo (not on zootube but try getting your hands on the MP3s or something, it's worth it) involves a weeping woman and a screaming pig as far as I can tell :|

I agree about the ambiguity though. Usually it's pretty unclear what's going on, but that doesn't make it less creepy and extreme metal being what it is, "rapey" isn't far fetched.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Metalfuckingrules
The Ralph Wiggum Monologue

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:02 pm 

Instead of getting my root canal taken out, my tooth was so infected that they had to take it out. And now I have to wait for six weeks for the dentist to put a bridge over it. Afterwards, I got my Christmas gifts.

NuclearCreation91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:26 pm 

Jonpo wrote:

Another thanks from me too. I just bought Manilla Road's The Deluge and The Courts of Chaos for $9.98!

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:54 pm 

Smoked salmon on cream cheese and rye bread is an awesome holiday breakfast :-D

My collection

Seraphengorger
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:10 pm 

I cant get MA to let me log into the forums on my nook so for the time being I'm TheEvilSocky.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:35 pm 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Smoked salmon on cream cheese and rye bread is an awesome holiday breakfast :-D

:love: I had cheesecake for breakfast, it was glorious

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:50 pm 

Niiice. When I said breakfast, I meant eleven o'clock in the morning :lol:

My collection

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:36 pm 

I deleted my recently played, playlist on iTunes... there's no way to get it back! Wow. You're so amazing and intuitive, iTunes. I'm basically screwed, aren't I. That's a rhetorical question.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:45 pm 

metaldiscussor666 wrote:
I deleted my recently played, playlist on iTunes... there's no way to get it back! Wow. You're so amazing and intuitive, iTunes. I'm basically screwed, aren't I. That's a rhetorical question.

Your life sucks so bad. Also, stop deleting your posts all the time, shit's annoying especially when your posts are so pathetic/funny like the one you removed from the Fitness thread (I forgot to save it :/ )

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:52 pm 

What was it? :D

EDIT: Huh, apparently I'm a Veteran now. That's nice.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:55 pm 

metaldiscussor666 wrote:
I deleted my recently played, playlist on iTunes... there's no way to get it back! Wow. You're so amazing and intuitive, iTunes.

1. File menu -> "New Smart Playlist..."
2. Match the following rule: "Last Played" -> "is before" -> Whatever date you consider the border between "recent" and "not recent" (so maybe 25/12/2012) or something? :p

There. Not that hard, is it? :lol:

EDIT: Oh yeah, you can also go "Edit" -> "Undo delete playlist", but complaining on a forum was probably easier. :D

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:59 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
metaldiscussor666 wrote:

Your life sucks so bad. Also, stop deleting your posts all the time, shit's annoying especially when your posts are so pathetic/funny like the one you removed from the Fitness thread (I forgot to save it :/ )

Hmm... I honestly can't think of a proper response to this. I can retell the story if that would make you happy. I was pissed. I asked my mom if we could throw away all the junk food in the house. She looked at me with a face if dismay and said "you have better self control that that" She continued "if we get rid of all the sweets how are all the little boys supposed to eat them?" She was refering to my brother's friends, who were over. So what I decided she was indirectly trying to tell me to shut the ***k up. I also proclaimed there was no way they could eat it all. that's basically the story. It's not like it was too embarrassing to keep on the archives. I just didn't feel like I had any reason to post it. In fact, I thought it would get me in trouble which is why i deleted it. So there you go. Enjoy it.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:07 am 

metaldiscussor666 wrote:
Hmm... I honestly can't think of a proper response to this. I can retell the story if that would make you happy. I was pissed. I asked my mom if we could throw away all the junk food in the house. She looked at me with a face if dismay and said "you have better self control that that" She continued "if we get rid of all the sweets how are all the little boys supposed to eat them?" She was refering to my brother's friends, who were over. So what I decided she was indirectly trying to tell me to shut the ***k up. I also proclaimed there was no way they could eat it all. that's basically the story. It's not like it was too embarrassing to keep on the archives. I just didn't feel like I had any reason to post it. In fact, I thought it would get me in trouble which is why i deleted it. So there you go. Enjoy it.

Okay, this story is pretty funny. :lol:

Overall, I agree that keeping junk food in the house is a bad move if you're trying to lose weight/get healthier, but asking your mum to throw them out probably wasn't a good idea. :P

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:09 am 

Alhadis wrote:
metaldiscussor666 wrote:
I deleted my recently played, playlist on iTunes... there's no way to get it back! Wow. You're so amazing and intuitive, iTunes.

1. File menu -> "New Smart Playlist..."
2. Match the following rule: "Last Played" -> "is before" -> Whatever date you consider the border between "recent" and "not recent" (so maybe 25/12/2012) or something? :p

There. Not that hard, is it? :lol:

EDIT: Oh yeah, you can also go "Edit" -> "Undo delete playlist", but complaining on a forum was probably easier. :D

THANK YOU!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:10 am 

You might want to change your lifestyle but don't force it on other people especially if they're your parents and pay for everything...

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:16 am 

Good advice. However, the junk food I'm referring to are presents from all sorts of holiday guests. We received an excessive amount of various unhealthy foods. I'm generally a very health consciously driven and diet-disciplined person. That's why I was pissed off. I just get really angry sometimes.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:50 am 

Meanwhile I sit here on my ass with a bag of chocolates, not having gained a pound in years.
Hehe, foreskins.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:52 am 

According to the army, I've been 161-169 (mostly 165) pounds since December 2008. Just great.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:25 am 

metaldiscussor666 wrote:
Good advice. However, the junk food I'm referring to are presents from all sorts of holiday guests. We received an excessive amount of various unhealthy foods. I'm generally a very health consciously driven and diet-disciplined person. That's why I was pissed off. I just get really angry sometimes.

Therefore it should all be gone because you want it gone. When you grow up you're going to look back on your time here and facepalm your nose inside out.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:26 am 

Quote:
facepalm your nose inside out.

:lol:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:39 am 

I eat what I like because I like food and couldn't give a rat's arse if I look slightly chubby. If I die a fat cunt, I'll die a happy one.

:D

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:44 am 

Jonpo wrote:

:hail: This band is amazing. Never even heard of them but did a little youtube searching after your post and this is certainly the next album I am going to purchase. Thanks for the heads up Jonpo, other wise a may have overlooked this band.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:53 am 

Scored the last copy of Incantation's Diabolical conquest. I probably should've bought Manilla Road's the Courts of Chaos, but I'm broke and didn't see it for sale. Oh well, glad to see other people got it though

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:57 am 

Found Operation: Mindcrime alone and unloved at the bottom of Walmart's $5 CD bin. I shed a single tear and placed it at the top of the pile where it will hopefully find a home.

Of course, I already own it or I would've bought that shit in half a second.

OceanOfViolence
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:19 am 

Jonpo wrote:

Hell yes! Thanks for the info, been meaning to get this one.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:23 am 

A Tribe Called Red are really fucking cool.
Hehe, foreskins.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:18 am 

Bah, damn living at the arse-end of the world; even with the discounts at 20 Buck Spin, the shipping still makes the CDs I was looking at more expensive than they'd be from other places. Thanks for the heads up, though; news of music sales is always appreciated!

On the subject of distros having end-of-year sales, The End also has one (you have to enter some code at checkout to see what the final discounted price is, which is somewhat annoying), and Dark Descent has apparently extended its Halloween sale. By the way, has anyone ever ordered from Solitude Productions (doom label host to Ea, Abstract Spirit, Funeral)? I'm considering getting quite a bit from them, but no one I know has ever encountered them before.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 732, 733, 734, 735, 736, 737, 738 ... 827  Next