Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kigo7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:24 pm 

Isn't the success of retro-thrash more to do with the fact that the majority of the 1980s thrash bands that have survived till the present have grown up and made better music than they might have done previously? Regarding Testament, I only really got into Testament because TFOD was such a good album.

Chuck Billy rightly called Mustaine an asshole because of Mustaine's comments on the Aurora and Wisconsin shootings last year.

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:49 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Riffs wrote:

Are you serious? What does the other 95% of Dark Roots of Earth consist of in your mind? Gospel?

He'd probably say groove metal though there's really not much of it on that album. There are more melodic moments and such but it's more thrash than anything else. True American Hate and Rise Up, anyone?

The intro riff to "Rise Up" is the only real thrash riff on there. True American Hate is a decent song with a sweet solo section, but fast =/= thrash. If I had to describe it, I would say straightforward heavy metal. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy it I just wouldn't consider it thrash.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:01 pm 

iAmDisturbed wrote:
A link on that Nikki claim? And where does he get off saying that about Bruce?

That story was from the "Dirt" book. As I recall, Nikki's story was that this woman came to his hotel room and came on to him. He didn't know who she was until the next day or so when he saw her with Bruce (both bands were playing a festival together...maybe Monsters of Rock, I don't remember).

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:05 pm 

Terri23 wrote:
OzzyApu wrote:
I saw a Maiden DVD (http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ir ... Days/58410) on youtube and Maiden had a bunch of the early members giving interviews and they all were actually still in touch and nice to the Maiden guys. The only other one they were iffy about was the guy that chose his girlfriend over staying in Maiden. Di'Anno is the only real asshole. Burr was also saddened that he wasn't kept in the band but there isn't any bad blood.

I was always under the impression that Burr quit over constant touring. I'll have to check this out again.

Clive was kicked out due to excessive partying. Steve Harris and Rod Smallwood have no patience for partying when it affects performance and were quick to remove both Paul DiAnno (who had the biggest problem) and Clive Burr over it. Although there isn't any bad blood, Clive was reportedly extremely upset about being fired and, to this day, refuses to speak publicly about his time in Maiden.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:14 pm 

I thought Paul was kicked out because he refused to perform in big venues, and wanted to keep Maiden as an underground thing.....

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:45 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
I thought Paul was kicked out because he refused to perform in big venues, and wanted to keep Maiden as an underground thing.....

The story, as I read it, was the Paul was the self-sabotaging type. The bigger Maiden got, the more fucked up he'd get and it was clear to the band that they couldn't get to the next level with him. Paul's been pretty open about his partying. He may have wanted to keep it underground, but that's also a good excuse for the self-sabotaging type (and I'm not saying that everyone who wants to stay underground is like that).

savagevelocithrash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:54 pm 

I remember reading a really funny interview with Proscriptor (Absu), making fun of the former Dark Funeral guitar player. that shit was make me laught really loud.

if i found the scan of the interview, i will post here.

MercyfulKing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:49 pm 

Im guessing Agent Steel hates Anthrax:

http://i988.photobucket.com/albums/af3/MercyfulSaint/AgentSteelLyricsheet_zpsb1d3e1de.jpg

Kigo7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:54 pm 

It's either that or the "NOT" thing is a joke about how Scott Ian used "NOT" as a nickname. I remember reading an interview with Kerry King in which he said that Anthrax shouldn't go on the Big 4 tour because they'd been in pieces previously (around 2003-2009)

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:56 pm 

MercyfulKing wrote:

I think it's been pretty well-established that Scott Ian is a douchebag, so it's not hard to imagine that he burned bridges there. Of course, it might also have something to do with John Cyriis being a loon. Who fuckin' knows?

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:55 pm 

DEz Fafara (DevilDriver) vs Cronos (Venom), apparently there was some dispute because of Venom dropping out om a tour with them for the third time or so...

Dez: Shitty dude!!! I'm wearing a VENOM shirt right now while we're talking. Right now! And now I think everybody that just says they like VENOM just wants to be fucking cool because the guy's a dickhead and I've only seen like two of those in twelve years, I swear to god. Everybody I've ever run into from, like we said, from [Dave] Mustaine to [Philip] Anselmo and to Ozzy have all been the most down to earth, cool guys. But that dude should have never fucking opened his mouth against me and my band. DEVILDRIVER will take that band apart and he should just go….go fucking get a job at Wal-Mart because he's done.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:28 pm 

lol @ that shitty mallcore band insulting the guys from Venom, sure Cronos may be a bit terse but I've heard rumors of Dez being just as much of an asshole to the bands that tour with those Hottopic fixtures as well.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:29 pm 

TadGhostal wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:

The story, as I read it, was the Paul was the self-sabotaging type. The bigger Maiden got, the more fucked up he'd get and it was clear to the band that they couldn't get to the next level with him. Paul's been pretty open about his partying. He may have wanted to keep it underground, but that's also a good excuse for the self-sabotaging type (and I'm not saying that everyone who wants to stay underground is like that).

Yeah, from what I've gathered it came down to Paul wanting to keep the punk element in Maiden, which was less and less of a factor, and the venues were getting bigger - he wasn't as in to what metal was really about and, as you say, partied really hard to deal with it. He has been very candid about that being precisely why his time in Maiden came to a close - they didn't want him there because of how he was acting, and he didn't want to play the material the band was moving towards.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:18 pm 

Veracs wrote:
lol @ that shitty mallcore band insulting the guys from Venom, sure Cronos may be a bit terse but I've heard rumors of Dez being just as much of an asshole to the bands that tour with those Hottopic fixtures as well.

Cronos' being a dick is common knowledge, and the same is true for Dez. Of the latter, a friend of mine who asked John Gallagher about that one tour that Fetus was on with DevilDriver was told in no uncertain terms that no one in Fetus ever wants to see, be around, or have anything to do with Dez Fafara again. He didn't really elaborate beyond saying that Dez wasn't able to go a minute without acting like an asshole or pissing someone off and that DD got blacklisted by at least one venue because of his behavior.

iAmDisturbed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:01 am 

Wait a minute :lol: his name is Fafara?
That just cracks me up a jolly lot when I say it.
What a funny ass name.
Cronos is a dick but we like him. He was very much so back in the early days when Abaddon was still in the band. The only other person I've heard him insult in recent times has been Abaddon.

NorthernDarkness6
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:05 pm 

MercyfulKing wrote:

I looked through my copies of Mega Metal Kerrang #3 and #4 (1986) last night. In MMK #3, Scott Ian stated that John Cyriis tried to start a fight with a road crew member, and then was sarcastic that John Cyriis would return to the planet he came from in 2011. In MMK #4, a female fan defended John Cyriis in a letter. This fan is listed on the Agent Steel thank you list that says "NOT Anthrax." Also, the Fates Warning album "Spectre Within" has Anthrax listed in its "No thanks to" section.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:45 pm 

NorthernDarkness6 wrote:
MercyfulKing wrote:

I looked through my copies of Mega Metal Kerrang #3 and #4 (1986) last night. In MMK #3, Scott Ian stated that John Cyriis tried to start a fight with a road crew member, and then was sarcastic that John Cyriis would return to the planet he came from in 2011. In MMK #4, a female fan defended John Cyriis in a letter. This fan is listed on the Agent Steel thank you list that says "NOT Anthrax." Also, the Fates Warning album "Spectre Within" has Anthrax listed in its "No thanks to" section.

So more or less what I expected. Ian and Belladonna are well-known douchebags, and Cyriis' reputation for being a fucking loon certainly seems like it could extend to his being a dick as well. Not surprised about the Fates Warning liner notes, either, as Anthrax pissed off a lot of people in their time.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:06 pm 

Frank Booth wrote:
NorthernDarkness6 wrote:

So more or less what I expected. Ian and Belladonna are well-known douchebags, and Cyriis' reputation for being a fucking loon certainly seems like it could extend to his being a dick as well. Not surprised about the Fates Warning liner notes, either, as Anthrax pissed off a lot of people in their time.

Belladonna? Or do you mean Benante? Met Joey once, he seemed nice and I always heard he was a laid back guy.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:09 pm 

I've heard nothing but bad things about Belladonna's personality.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:03 pm 

I've only heard great things about Belladonna. All the bad shit I've read comes from Benante and Ian, who have tons of people saying they are the douches.

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:21 pm 

Frank, what exactly have you heard about Joey?
Because I too, have only heard that Scott is the douche el grande of that band.

"...unto the end I shall lead all into my darkness..."
-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:32 pm 

VirginSteele_Helstar wrote:

A few friends of mine who worked the Mayhem Fest all told me that he was a colossal dick. Rude as hell to the staff, arrogant, pushy, obnoxiously demanding, and extremely unpleasant to be around in general, which happened to be the exact same things they said about Ian. Surprisingly enough, they said that Benante was actually pretty chill for the most part, while Caggiano and Bello apparently kept to themselves. I don't know if that was an off night or what (this was at the Mass date), but one of them was friends with someone who worked at the Corfu, NY show and who more or less said the same thing about him.

FJ Receptor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:50 pm 

Frank Booth wrote:
VirginSteele_Helstar wrote:

A few friends of mine who worked the Mayhem Fest all told me that he was a colossal dick. Rude as hell to the staff, arrogant, pushy, obnoxiously demanding, and extremely unpleasant to be around in general, which happened to be the exact same things they said about Ian. Surprisingly enough, they said that Benante was actually pretty chill for the most part, while Caggiano and Bello apparently kept to themselves. I don't know if that was an off night or what (this was at the Mass date), but one of them was friends with someone who worked at the Corfu, NY show and who more or less said the same thing about him.

Frank, not doubting your info. here, but Joey has a pretty solid "good guy" rep in the metal community. During his solo band appearances he's known to mingle with the crowd and hobnob with everyone. Although, that being said, back in 1991 when I went to see Anthrax at a Tower Records store signing event during Clash of the Titans, the only "cool" one was Frankie. The others were all wearing sunglasses acting like celebrities.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:29 pm 

Maybe time has changed him. I don't know what he was like then, but it makes sense that jumping back into the limelight has probably both inflated his ego and cut down on his patience for what he sees as trivial matters. It would explain why he was making all sorts of unreasonable demands and acting like a self-entitled jackass to the staff.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:34 pm 

When I met Joey he was doing his solo stuff, before the firs reunion with Anthrax, and he was playing a tiny bar. Maybe it humbled him. I don't know. I've honestly not heard a lot bad about him or Benante, actually. The only person who really badmouths Charlie is Billy Milano, so take that for what it's worth. Sucks to hear that Joey was a dick.

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:47 pm 

Jeff Walker on Pestilence:

" I never thought they were an incredible band, to be honest. They were just some Dutch thrash band. It was obvious from watching them while touring"

"they were too busy copying other people. Even when they got really technical, they were just copying Cynic"

"Martin was a really cool guy, and I still know their old manager Graham"

"Some of them were nice guys"

"Patrick Mameli's going to me, 'hey hey, I heard you two guys got laid. I'm better looking than you - I'll get more chicks', shit like that."

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:27 pm 

Mameli has definitely made a colossal ass out of himself in quite a few of the press releases, and I know that he was a total dick to Martin Van Drunen back in the day. No clue if there's still bad blood between them or not, but it's pretty likely.

Another thing to contribute: not sure how true this is, but Dave Astor and Kevin Schwartz apparently sort of forced Jonathan Huber to leave. This is friend-of-a-friend shit that I can't confirm or deny, but it was apparently due to his being an asshole in general, and I can absolutely verify that he is a creepy little prick who loves to do things like propositioning people's GFs on Skype and Facebook Chat. Regularly. As such, it's totally conceivable that he pissed them off by way of pulling this shit on a regular basis and got shitcanned for it.

somberlain93
I'm not sexist, I have binders full of women friends!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:56 am 

Jon Nödtveidt was not too pleased with some ex-members of Dissection. In one interview while he was in prison, he talked about them being weaklings that tried to do everything possible to make sure he was in prison for the rest of his life and that they were trying to live off of the Dissection name while not being worthy or dedicated. He also referred to IT as a midget that was masturbating in the studio, making pointless noise, and calling it an album when talking about Abruptum.

Pratl1971
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:07 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:
Dio bashed Vivan Campbell during a signing session that was video-ed by someone. He basically called him the single most despicable piece of shit alive, and wished him a painful death. Look it up on youtube.

Really surprised me when I saw that for the first time, because up to that point I 1) didn't know that Dio cussed (I always saw him as an extremely polite person) and 2) just couldn't imagine the man himself hating someone so much. Still, it's not like Campbell ISN'T a backstabbing bastard.....

You should hear the Canadian radio interview Dio gave in 1981 where he called Ozzy "an animal...a stupid human being." I loved RJD, but that was a stretch too far, especially since in the same radio special Ozzy was very polite about Ronnie.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:28 pm 

Sorry, it was actually the other way around. Dio said that Clampbell had called him the most despicabe person alive.

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:55 pm 

Dan Lilker.

on former drummer Scott Lewis : "left the band 'cos he was sick of playing drums and touring, he really just wanted to sprawl on the couch with remote in hand"

on Burzum: "Great music from an idiot"

on Neil Turbin: "(he) had me thrown out 'cos he didn't like me. Seriously, he was angry that I was taller than him and it bothered his ego"

katatonia47
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:23 pm 

I completely agree with what Lilker said about Burzum.

Kigo7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:13 pm 

Definitely agreeing with Lilker on Neil Turbin. Lilker did alright with Nuclear Assault and SOD, but Turbin has kind of dropped off the radar a bit.

Part of Ozzy's stage-show involved the mock execution of a midget by hanging, possibly a (incredibly childish) gibe at RJD's height. Plus, after Ward left Black Sabbath in 1980 (approx), he referred to the Dio-Iommi-Butler-Appice lineup as "Geezer and the Three Wops".

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:42 pm 

Pratl1971 on Dio wrote:
You should hear the Canadian radio interview Dio gave in 1981 where he called Ozzy "an animal...a stupid human being." I loved RJD, but that was a stretch too far, especially since in the same radio special Ozzy was very polite about Ronnie.

Ozzy threatened Dio with shooting him if he ever sang anything from Osbourne's era (I'll try to find the article where that was written), so fuck that. Ozzy is an asshole.
Ilwhyan on Dio badmouthing Campbell wrote:
Sorry, it was actually the other way around. Dio said that Clampbell had called him the most despicabe person alive.

Actually Ilwhyan, there's a video on YouTube where Dio says some seriously nasty shit about Vivian. You can look it up if you want to.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:43 pm 

The video in question:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOwZBo8FQvo

As for the Dio vs Ozzy thing, I think both have said stuff about the other, although by the 00s Ozzy was being very polite when talking about Dio, I know that much - and he was quite respectful about him after he passed away. It seems to be Shannon that stirs the most shit between Ozzy and other bands.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:17 am 

Kigo7 wrote:
Definitely agreeing with Lilker on Neil Turbin. Lilker did alright with Nuclear Assault and SOD, but Turbin has kind of dropped off the radar a bit.

To be fair, Turbin is in a pretty solid band now called the Deathriders. Great band but they've been taking too damn long to get their "new" album finished.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:28 am 

Victor_Of_The_Void wrote:
I read once that Dave said "That Queensryche guitarist looks like Jamie Lee Curtis". Hmmmm....wonder who he was referring to.

DeGarmo is hotter and more feminine than Jamie Lee Curtis.
:love:

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:37 am 

novakm wrote:
Kveldulfr wrote:
The most funny stuff is that Testament is like 100x better than them nowadays and instead whining and getting softer over time, they reinvented themselves enough to keep their sound but also getting stronger.

There is about 5% (if that) thrash on the new album. Each of the big 4's most recent albums had more than that (even though I strongly dislike 50% of them). I like "The Dark Roots of Earth" (mainly because of the solos), but to say that it tops The Big 4's output is ludicrous.

Hahaha, what the fuck. And just as I expected, your argument is "riffs". True American Hate being a heavy metal song? This album is almost pure modern thrash.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:58 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
Actually Ilwhyan, there's a video on YouTube where Dio says some seriously nasty shit about Vivian. You can look it up if you want to.

In the one I was originally referring to, Dio simply said that he hopes Campbell "fucking dies", and that he really is a piece of shit. Dio was angered that Campbell, whom Dio considered to have been "made somebody" by him, had called Dio something like the single most despicable person alive.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:28 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOwZBo8FQvo

The Dio clip in question.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next