Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kigo7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:40 pm 

Aren't Immortal supposed to be making (or releasing) an album this year?

I'd definitely be looking forward to the upcoming Black Sabbath album. While I'm excited for it, I wonder how it's going to turn out given how long it's been since Never Say Die.

Venom have done remarkably well in recent years with just Cronos remaining from the Cronos-Mantas-Abbadon lineup.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:16 pm 

Quote:
Venom have done remarkably well in recent years with just Cronos remaining from the Cronos-Mantas-Abbadon lineup.

I doubt they'll do a new album this year, but I'd be over the moon if they were to do a tour of some kind, non-festival based.

Is there any official word on new material by Watain - I've been feeling for a while that they really need to get some new material out to validate their stature within the scene.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:18 pm 

Misfit74 wrote:
There are 100's if not 1000's of bands that have but one original member left. That doesn't mean a band can't produce quality material in the future. Something about 'the past isn't an indicator of future success' or something like that. When it comes to Possessed it's the vocals that would be the hardest to replace (see: impossible). While one can never be sure a project like this will come together and ultimately give us good results, at the very least it's closed-minded to just dismiss it entirely.

Anyone want to throw down their best 'one original member' examples? ;)

It's not just a matter of them being able to play, it also has to do with the specific time period in which Possessed released their stuff and the fact that they haven't done anything new in 25+ years. The fact that the people that were able to conjure the magic during those albums aren't there anymore. What are they going to play after so many years and without the same heads working together? It's the same with Carcass, an album without Ken Owen?! Know what I mean? ;)

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:25 pm 

I was very excited for Mechina's Empyrean, which came out on New Year's Day. I was not at all disappointed and am proud to have it as my first 2013 album.

The one that sticks out in my mind the most right now is Dark Tranquillity. I've been interested in hearing something new from them for a while now. They may not be the most technical, or the most beautiful at this point, but they just might still be the greatest surviving practitioner of their form. Their massive tour in support of We Are the Void finally ended. I hope to get a new full-length by mid-year.

I may be hoping for too much to expect a new full-length from Agalloch, considering their four-year track record. I heard somewhere that they were interested in writing a bit more frequently, so maybe something might come late this year. But then, they just got done with Faustian Echoes and Haughm tends to spend a lot of his free time doing folk/ambient collaborations, so who knows?

(Not that any of the above-mentioned material is not good, but you get my point.)

I could see In Flames squeezing something into the end of the year, but I'm not holding my breath for it.

I am, of course, excited for Cult of Luna's Vertikal, and have just made pre-orders of the deluxe album, the LP, and the t-shirt. \m/

I'd love to be treated to some new material by Void of Silence, but I don't honestly know what they're up to. I still wish that Nemtheanga had stayed with the band. Not that Johnson doesn't bring his own vocal anguish to a most sombre mix; it's just that Nemtheanga has the perfect cleans for the post-apocalyptic wasteland of a soundscape that they create

Also very excited for In Vain's coming follow-up to Mantra. How Norwegians do so well at evoking an old western-style mood is beyond me, but they're fucking good at it.

I'll probably think of more later.

I believe it was Confucius who said "Life is merely a series of intervals in which one waits for the next Agalloch album."

Kigo7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:20 pm 

I've seen advertisements by Century Media that state that there will be a Watain album out this year. Obviously, that'll have to be taken with a pinch of salt, but if Century's advertising it then it probably will be true.

When's the Asesino album announced for?

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:24 am 

@Gatherum

U no excited for the new Omnium Gatherum album? I know I am. :hyper:

bodomlord
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:58 pm 

Has anyone heard about coffins releasing anything this year?

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:07 pm 

Odium's sole album is being reissued this year, and Pyrexia's Sermon of Mockery is rumored to be getting reisussed as well. They've printed out long sleeve shirts to fit the occasion.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Horace Bones
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:24 pm 

Zerberus wrote:
Someone claiming to be Maniac Neil says in the comments to this youtube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWz7QqoA68Y) that Frightmare is NOT done yet and that he will focus on a new Frightmare album after the next Blood Freak album. Hopefully that means a new Blood Freak album in 2013, and maybe Frightmare in 2014!

Quote:
Frightmare is NOT done. There's a new album in the works. Hiatus does not mean done. I've been busy with Blood Freak the last few years. after the next BF album i'm gonna focus on the third Frightmare album. the haters can eat my uncut ero style cock.

Fuckin' A. Best news I've heard in a while. A new Frightmare would totally be awesome. Hopefully Gurge will do split vox with Neil, and complete the chaos effect BBB had...such an intense catchy wall of sound on that album. Listening to that album is like trying to dodge stabs and slashes from Cropsy's garden sheers. HA!

New Blood Freak is welcomed as well. Hopefully, he can add a little bit more B-Movie references this time around...Mindscraper was just a little too straight forward for me. I enjoy listening to it every now and again, but I don't spin it nearly as much as I do Multiplex Massacre and Live Fast...

As far as other albums I'm looking forward to...new Nokturnal Mortum (read today), Myrkgrav, interested in new Darkthrone and Carcass...Summoning and isn't Inquisition said to have a new album out this year?

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:46 pm 

Horace Bones wrote:
As far as other albums I'm looking forward to...new Nokturnal Mortum (read today), Myrkgrav, interested in new Darkthrone and Carcass...Summoning and isn't Inquisition said to have a new album out this year?

Yes. They've only just begun the songwriting for it coming off of touring but I'd say a new album this year is certain.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Thrash_metal_forever
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:32 am 

Apparently, The Black Dahlia Murder are going to be releasing a new album in June called "Everblack". If it's anything like Ritual, I am very excited.

AppleQueso wrote:
Pepsiman wrote:
How ironic. I don't really wear jackets or vests, so this is really not something I can help with.

how the hell is that "ironic"?

DeathcoreDecimator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:39 am 

I can't wait for that new TBDM, I'm pretty disappointed that Shannon Lucas is gone but I'm sure that they will find someone equally as good if not better to replace him.

Blood_Red87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:45 am 

New Carcass, new Hypocrisy, new Summoning and Wintersun's "Time II". Haven't heard much of what's to come this year metal-wise, but the year is still very young.

Last edited by Blood_Red87 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:46 am 

A NEW BLACK DAHLIA MURDER ALBUM. HYPE THIS SHIT UP.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:04 pm 

Any word on a new Judas Priest? Has it been confirmed?

"...unto the end I shall lead all into my darkness..."
-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

nosferatu1234
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:34 pm 

Thashierthanthou wrote:
http://abyssal-home.bandcamp.com/

Seriously you guys listen to this reminds me of Portal/Impetuous Ritual, a little less weird than those bands, and with a bit of black metal in it.

This is fucking blowing me away. I never really got into their debut, Denouement, but this is fucking amazing, I'm really surprised.

Tempered_Steel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:57 pm 

If it is true, i am most looking forward to a Watain release, Lawless Darkness was truly something

Hastein45
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:33 am 

I`m excited about a lot of the same stuff that most of you are but what I really want this year is some new Infernal War, Lost Soul, and Spectral Mortuary. Amon Amarth always puts out quality stuff. Arsis I hope gives me something like A Celebration of Guilt. There EP was okay. Their guitarist has massive talent. Belphegor, Blood Bath, and maybe(maybe) Bolt Thrower? Yes please.

Hastein45
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:38 am 

Also, does any care about new Blood Tsunami?

kapala
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:23 am 

I'm excited to see how pissed of people get over the new Darkthrone album.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:10 pm 

I'm very excited for the new Solefald, which should be released in fall 2013. Norrøn Livskunst was a hell of an album, so I'm curious to know if they are gonna top that one.

slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:15 am 

henkkjelle wrote:
I'm very excited for the new Solefald, which should be released in fall 2013. Norrøn Livskunst was a hell of an album, so I'm curious to know if they are gonna top that one.

Oh Yes! I'd like it to be more in the vein of Neonism and Harmonia universali which are my total faves from them. Also the possibility to finally see them playing live is exciting as hell!

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:52 pm 

I just discovered this band through a friend; Caladan Brood. Thought it needed sharing;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ950yI_4SQ&feature=share

Epic black-metal very much in the vein of Summoning - perhaps it's a bit too similar in some respects, but regardless, from what I've heard it's very, very well done. The début is out in February and I'm looking forward to it within minutes of discovering the band.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:00 pm 

Dream Death will finally be releasing a follow-up to their 1987 debut Journey into Mystery. Titled Somnium Excessum, they are currently wrapping up tracking this month for a potential release in March. Here's the cover art:

Spoiler: show

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:00 pm 

Leviathan will be releasing a new album called Scar Sight. I'm immensly curious as to what twisted direction he's going to take his music in now. Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats is releasing a concept album called Mind Control which should pretty much be the best thing ever.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

DARKZSOU7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:44 pm 

Hope Immolation releases the next album soon this year since Majesty and Decay was probably my favorite death metal album released in 2010. Them and The Chasm too.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:26 am 

DARKZSOU7 wrote:
Hope Immolation releases the next album soon this year since Majesty and Decay was probably my favorite death metal album released in 2010. Them and The Chasm too.

Yeah, there's been a strange lack of information about a new Immolation album recently. They wrapped up recording towards the end of summer/early fall last year (about the same time as Suffocation, actually) and there's been nothing since. I'd think Nuclear Blast would have put out some kind of information by now. I wouldn't put any hopes on a new album from The Chasm, though. Daniel's pretty much moved on towards another project whose name escapes me. He hasn't shelved the band entirely and has said that he'd record another album if/when he's inspired to, but nothing's on the horizon anytime soon.

Now that Sanctuary has, for all intents and purposes, signed with Century Media, I'd expect a formal announcement for their new album to be imminent.

ghost223
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:28 am 

I should probably research a bit more but I'm looking forward to the new Darkthrone as well as TBDM and Born of Osiris. And although its a pipe dream, I will also be praying to the metal gods for a new Necrophagist or an announcement that the band it officially calling it quits.

beeneNOLAdoobie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:32 am 

I cannot wait for the new Cannabis Corpse album!!! supposed to be out sometime in june or july I believe.

kind of excited to hear what the new Black Sabbath is going to sound like also.

Other than that, new Down Ep hopefully, Black Dahlia Murder..

I feel like im seriously forgetting some but this is all that comes to mind at the moment! I really would Bloodbath would reveal who they are going to use as a singer!!

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:51 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
A NEW BLACK DAHLIA MURDER ALBUM. HYPE THIS SHIT UP.

Oh yeah :hyper:

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:56 pm 

I might be one of only very few, but the new Graveland album: Thunderbolt of the Gods. If it ever sees the light of day. I prefer later-day Graveland material to the classic stuff (blasphemy, I know) and so have looked forward to this since about 2010/early 2011 when it was first announced. I was expecting it sometime last year, but with all these EPs/splits and re-recordings Rob has been doing, as well as Lord Wind, it has been delayed again and again. I heard he is doing yet another split, this time with Nokturnal Mortum, so I guess it'll be even further back. Well no matter, one thing I will say about Rob, is he always puts in a lot of effort and passion into the music, so I'm sure it'll be grand.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:33 pm 

ModusOperandi wrote:
Dream Death will finally be releasing a follow-up to their 1987 debut Journey into Mystery. Titled Somnium Excessum, they are currently wrapping up tracking this month for a potential release in March. Here's the cover art:

Spoiler: show

That artwork is so horrible it hurts the eyes... Let's hope the album isn't nearly as bad because Journey Into Mystery is one massive album!

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:21 pm 

According to recent updates on their Facebooks, Neoandertals and Waking the Cadaver are both going to have new albums out later this year. :D Can't wait to see what two of the world's most hated brutal death metal bands can come up with this time around.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:25 pm 

New album from Dream Death? Damn, that's awesome. I didn't know they got back together.

UNCHAIN_THE_WOLVES
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:21 pm 

New October Falls "The Plague Of A Coming Age" and Darkthrone "The Underground Resistance" are the only releases I've seen enough proof of to be able to believe I'll get my hands on them in 2013 so I'm most looking forward to those two...

New Destroyer 666, Abyssic Hate & Horna have been mentioned among others too but I know better than to get my hopes up just yet...

AlcoholicMayhem
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:28 am 

For sure I am looking forward to the new Darkthrone, Enforcer and Black Sabbath albums!!

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:02 am 

New Immolation is all I need. I don't dare be too excited about the upcoming Horna, as both Baptism and Behexen disappointed this year. :(

Thankfully the Baptism album was overall much better than the preview track Esoteric Spheres. Still, Chalice of Death was crappy compared to the original version, and the production was overall quite lame.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:21 am 

Knowing that all sorts of delays are possible, I'm still pretty stoked about the new Wardruna that's supposed to be released this year.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:30 am 

kapala wrote:
I'm excited to see how pissed off people get over the new Darkthrone album.

Bingo.

Other than that, I can't really bring up anything someone else hasn't said in the thread. I'm now very busy with uni so I don't have time to get caught up in metal as much. But I'm definitely anticipating the new Black Sabbath, QOTSA, Darkthrone, and if what everyone else says is true, Mayhem, Immortal, Gorguts, Watain etc. new Wormed is right around the corner too \m/ We're also due for a Triptykon album... and a CHURCH OF MISERY DAMIT...

d_in_flames
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:06 am 

MAIDEN ENGLAND DVD & Audio CD & LP

Seems rumours of two different dates of release of Maiden England are 12 Feb 2013 Amazon Italy, and the other 25 March 2013 CDon.com. It can be wrong, but I think its very near.

I hope Maiden will officially announce the release date soon.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 19  Next