Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:14 pm 

@Poisonfume: You can see anything you want in a complex enough picture, that's how conspiracy theories work. I see what you mean but it's just not clear enough to show that it's more than a mere combination of chance and paranoia.

Don't click this spoiler by the way.
Spoiler: show
I think we've almost convinced him. He must never learn the truth!
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:20 pm 

Man that thread with that civil guy going full misogynistic retard and the first ammendment thread remind me why the Symposium was nuked. Jesus Christ.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:31 pm 

I'm not sure what's going on in this thread, but preferring Epicus to Nightfall or considering Längquist better than Messiah does not make you special or a unique snowflake. It might or might not make you part of a minority but I'd even call that into question. A lot of people prefer Epics over Nightfall.

Det_Morkettall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:33 pm 

I barely remember anything from the Symposium, to be quite frank. Then again, it was nuked not too long after I became actually well known in the FFA anyways, so -shrug-

Lol

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:42 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Man that thread with that civil guy going full misogynistic retard and the first ammendment thread remind me why the Symposium was nuked. Jesus Christ.

What was the Symposium? Heard it mentioned before but don't really know what it was.

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:51 pm 

It was basically the conceited "serious" brother of the Tavern. Lots of threads about "issues" (God and guns came up a lot). I think it ended up being Sodom and Gomorrah'd due to overwhelming retardation and the fact that most threads degenerated super quickly.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

wreath_of_coils
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:02 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
It was basically the conceited "serious" brother of the Tavern. Lots of threads about "issues" (God and guns came up a lot). I think it ended up being Sodom and Gomorrah'd due to overwhelming retardation and the fact that most threads degenerated super quickly.

Nothing like a bunch of pseudo intellectuals fighting over trite, boring topics.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:20 pm 

Never heard of the place. I picture it to be a place filled with a bunch of cloak wearing pseudo intellectuals waiting to unleash a verbal hellstorm on the ones that dare to enter.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:21 pm 

It sucked.
Hehe, foreskins.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:40 pm 

So I just google image searched the band Huntress. Seriously, what were they thinking when they made this picture? (warming, mild nudity I guess?)

I mean, atleast on the MA band photo she looks like some kind of sorceress. A nude sorceress, but a sorceress nonetheless. This one just looks like a LA Noir crime scene....

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:12 pm 

One day I was at a fancy dinner for the undeservedly rich like myself! A bunch of old wall street guys were complaining about Obama! Even though Barry gave them everything they wanted and waged ceaseless war against his own gullible constituency they hated him because he called them fatcats and hurt their feelings! They just couldn't get over it! I was filled with unfathomable sadness and guilt for their suffering and vowed at that moment to right all the wrongs that had befallen them! Their eyes were swollen and red with tears due to Obama and because my IBS had kicked in right after the first course and I'd been ripping rancid eggy farts the whole night. The stench was palpable and not a single person in the room wasn't sweating, crying or retching by the time desert came out! Finally one of them couldn't stand it anymore and stood up, just as I was about to announce my noble crusade, and said "Can't we please do something about this?" at which point I immediately lost all my nerve and burst into tears and ran out. I haven't worked up the nerve to call any of them back, but hopefully they didn't figure out it was me!

Det_Morkettall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:28 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
story

:lol:

Oh boy, just the comic relief I needed.

So, what should I make of this situation, fellas?

My former band, Durvasag, are finished everything in terms of their new EP (which I contributed vocals on). Since I was involved in this project, they have to include my writing credits and my image. However, not once did they ever message me to let me know that the EP was finished the mastering stage, and when they all took new, cool band pictures of themselves, they decided not to tell me they were or to even ask if I could come over to take one, but they copied and pasted an old picture. So essentially, they keep me in the dark about everything.

Meanwhile, I've been relentlessly emailing labels, zines, and radio stations in order to get press coverage, and I've been relentlessly bumping in forums to get exposure on their EP Promo. They never promoted it except maybe a few shares on facebook. Seriously. I've looked a the bandcamp statistics and a large chunk of listens and hits come from my threads, whereas there's the odd 3 or 4 that come from instant messages or facebook.

The reason I'm so irate over this is simply because it's like they forget who's still working to get them heard. Not to let my ego out in public, but they really have no clue how to promote their own sound, and if it weren't for me and my networking ability, they would still be a completely unheard, as I introduced them to pressing plants (for their new EP, since they don't want CDrs), offered to set up tour dates for them, promoted links to their stuff on forums (just check my thread over in Promotional Forum. Seriously.) and got them a promise of airplay, on air interview, and an onsite review on a metal radio. And they just keep me in the complete dark.

I feel betrayed. Should I though? Am I right in feeling betrayed?

As an addendum, the bassist seems to have developed some sort of distrust for me because I booked one gig with horrible timing and turn out. That majorly irks me as well, because I know the guitarist, a good friend of mine, would have called me over

Dammit, I need cigarettes.

Lol

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:31 pm 

Calusari wrote:
I love Scald; I'm not too fond of that style of doom, generally, but they just imbue it with such an incredible atmosphere.

lord_ghengis wrote:
Had a pretty good night out at Ignivomous, Portal and Marduk. Ignivomous' set was really, really short, and with their mediocre sound it wasn't until the second last song that I was able to really get into it and actually start recognising those excellent riffs. Chris Volcano ended the night at my usual Melbourne drinking pub, so it was pretty cool to end the night with a chat with him and his entertainingly not very metal girlfriend/wife whatever as she went through my shirt haul calling the designs "nice" like an old lady looking at christmas themed sweaters, and Chris explaining to her that Disma are an American death metal band in simple terms.

Marduk's sound was pretty average considering they're a large internetational band headlining at a venue with generally good sound. Mortuus is a fan of that Oi! Oi! Oi bullshit, which kinda fagged it up a bit, but they looked cool and the music was solid.

Portal though. I've said it before, but jesus fucking christ, they are an amazing live act. This time I got to be leaning on the stage with the band playing with a good sound which rumbled though my ribcage, one of the best sets I've ever seen. They're amazing.

Then add all that to a good night out with a friend who I haven't seen in a year or two and it was a pretty great night

/FFA Diary entry.

Yeah, Portal absolutely blew my mind; I was in the front row for that, right against one of the speakers; they were so gloriously loud and intense, it seemed like I could feel the sound move through my bones and veins. Utterly fantastic. :headbang: I was sad to see Ignivomous play such a short set (and leave out the "Circle..." cover), but - while the sound was far better at their recent Central Club gig - they were still pretty impressive. Didn't get around to greeting Scorntyrant - sorry, dude, you looked like you were being hounded by a few people at various points - but caught up with Matthew briefly. It was a great night for me, too; finally, a gig that lots of my metalhead friends attended (I was there with about a dozen people) and that drew many people with whom I hadn't caught up in a while. (Sorry for continuing the deviation from the thread here, Tony; I'll shift my response to the reviews thread once the gig is mentioned there)

No worries mate, next time eh. Bit of a shame about the short set, but 4 bands is a lot to get through in only 4 hours. I wasn't feeling too well that night either to be honest, so keeping it short was not such a bad thing for me.

Volcano's a character for sure. Did you get him started on UFO's/Conspiracy theories etc? None of our GF's are into metal come to think of it - mine looks so out of place at gigs it's hillarious, being that she has the whole 50's glamourbeast rockabilly thing going on.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:37 am 

:lol: I have seen his comments on those "Exposing the Truth" pages on Facebook; always an entertaining read when they pop up. Gotta love their responses, too.

'Twas a good gig overall - not so sure about Marduk, possibly the only weak spot of the night; don't know enough about them to be able to tell, though. I'm glad I left the front for their set, though - that pit was surprisingly intense for a black metal band.

henkkjelle wrote:
So I just google image searched the band Huntress. Seriously, what were they thinking when they made this picture? (warming, mild nudity I guess?)

I mean, atleast on the MA band photo she looks like some kind of sorceress. A nude sorceress, but a sorceress nonetheless. This one just looks like a LA Noir crime scene....

I can't stop laughing at this. Is it meant to be ironically bad?

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:53 am 

Calusari wrote:
:lol: I have seen his comments on those "Exposing the Truth" pages on Facebook; always an entertaining read when they pop up. Gotta love their responses, too.

'Twas a good gig overall - not so sure about Marduk, possibly the only weak spot of the night; don't know enough about them to be able to tell, though. I'm glad I left the front for their set, though - that pit was surprisingly intense for a black metal band.

henkkjelle wrote:

I can't stop laughing at this. Is it meant to be ironically bad?

You guys think THAT is bad? Look up Satanic Corpse. You're welcome by the way. Also, don't look it up in front of the children.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

DrFunkenstein
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:58 am 

So Dir En Grey, the visual kei band, is a deathcore band now?

Go figure...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-heV2lb60s

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:10 am 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:
You guys think THAT is bad? Look up Satanic Corpse. You're welcome by the way. Also, don't look it up in front of the children.

Fortunately, my environs are strictly child free; I am not fond of spawn. Good grief, though, these photos are all so... Come on, even basic make-up, applied properly, can make one look eerie or whatever, rather than faintly ludicrous; unless that's part of the point and the images are supposed to look, well, yeah... like that.

^Dir En Grey haven't been a purely visual kei band for a while, though; whether you think it's an aesthetic or a genre, their clothes have been, well, toned-down for a while, and they've flirted with various heavier sounds previously.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:18 am 

henkkjelle wrote:

I hate that band. Musically they're alright, but their singer is nothing but a set of fake tits. No talent at all aside from something managing to make sure those artificially enlarged funbags don't accidentally leak.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

OceanOfViolence
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:08 am 

I'll still never forget Paganfest last year, where Huntress got 2 songs into their set before the singer got carried off stage because she got too drunk and couldn't even stand up. Fucking brilliant. And Arkona totally stole the show after them.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:18 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fXN7x7a5So
Best video I've seen in forever.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Atrocious_Mutilation
7mL

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:25 am 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fXN7x7a5So
Best video I've seen in forever.

An invention second only to this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqAUmgE3WyM

Aquarius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:32 am 

Yes, yes and once more, yes!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTx-sdR6Yzk

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:59 am 

Well that female metalhead thread has turned into quite the epic. I wonder if, in a few years time, it will be remembered and laughed at on here as one of M/A's more memorable little forum events.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:23 am 

Ugh. That picture makes my stomach turn. Not too fond of the Huntress especially when I heard Jill Janus in her interviews where she spews out her put-on-faux-spirituality bullshit and all that.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:49 am 

Scorntyrant wrote:
No worries mate, next time eh. Bit of a shame about the short set, but 4 bands is a lot to get through in only 4 hours. I wasn't feeling too well that night either to be honest, so keeping it short was not such a bad thing for me.

Volcano's a character for sure. Did you get him started on UFO's/Conspiracy theories etc? None of our GF's are into metal come to think of it - mine looks so out of place at gigs it's hillarious, being that she has the whole 50's glamourbeast rockabilly thing going on.

Ha nah, just about how short the set was and how unfortunate it is you never get the sound you deserve when you get to open for bigger bands, then a bit of stuff about Abominator and I may have gushed about Contragensis a little haha. I'll be sure to keep the conspiracy stuff in mind for next time, sounds like fun. Can't say 50s glamourbeast rockabilly chick rings a bell for me, I'll keep an eye out next time ha.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:56 am 

Oh and while we are sharing ridiculous robot invention videos, I win.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=2c6EGvSe ... c6EGvSeDiI

Mike_64
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:11 am 

http://www.metalinjection.net/tv/view/9 ... commercial

Found this gem while watching TV tonight/this morning

Well, that's not uncommon at all. Many people go on 4chan in order to get off.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:34 am 

Calusari wrote:
MrMcThrasher II wrote:

Fortunately, my environs are strictly child free; I am not fond of spawn. Good grief, though, these photos are all so... Come on, even basic make-up, applied properly, can make one look eerie or whatever, rather than faintly ludicrous; unless that's part of the point and the images are supposed to look, well, yeah... like that.

If you ever have a spare moment, give her blog a read. It's full of terrible erotic poetry and lots of self-shot porno. She looks like an actual corpse in some of them.

It's golden.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:48 am 

:lol: I may; goodness knows you can never have enough bad erotic poetry to lighten up your days.

BloodSacrificeShaman wrote:
Well that female metalhead thread has turned into quite the epic. I wonder if, in a few years time, it will be remembered and laughed at on here as one of M/A's more memorable little forum events.

Which thread would that be?

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:03 am 

http://www.wbur.org/2013/01/12/obama-death-star

It's good to see obama isn't on the dark side of the force.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:15 am 

henkkjelle wrote:

The fuck is that even necessary? :puke: Thankfully I never bothered to check the band out. Now I understand what Civil is trying to convey in this thread.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:27 am 

O___O

What the hell did I just...She's the epitome of attention whoring. I'm referring to Satanic Corpse. Also, I find that bit about experiments being conducted on her quite hilariously uncomfortable.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:10 pm 

I think I'm going to start meditating. I just tried it and it was.....peaceful. I'm intrigued.

Obligatory Last FM Link

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:22 pm 

Can anyone recommend me a good hard drive of at least 500 GB? With or without casing is irrelevant, priority is durability. Any positive experience with certain models?

My post-warranty external HD is growing an ugly case of bad sector cancer due to frequent traveling and being a WD Blue and is now slowly going the way of all electronics.

I kinda hoped it would at least survive until SSDs become affordable. Goddamnit.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Last edited by inhumanist on Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:26 pm 

I was going to post this into Civil's thread, but I thought this would probably be a better place.
Wouldn't it be interesting to see a fully female BDM band with the regular porno/sadism/torture lyrics and artwork, but aimed towards males instead? There are so many aspects of male sexuality that can be exploited/parodied, especially regarding the male ego--small genitalia, suboptimal sexual performance and the like can lead to more shame and loss of confidence in a man than anything I've ever heard about 'dirty sluts' can in a woman. We've heard about female genital mutilation, but does that not have the potential to be even more damaging to the male ego?
It wouldn't be 'feminist' metal, at least not any more than regular BDM is misogynistic (which it is I suppose, but it's obviously never meant to be taken seriously).

If such a thing already exists, send the rec's my way plox.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:32 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Can anyone recommend me a good hard drive of at least 500 GB? With or without casing is irrelevant, priority is durability. Any positive experience with certain models?

I bought the Transcend StoreJet 500GB hdd for my sister way back in June last year. She's had no complaints and it seems quite durable too.
http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-StoreJe ... B00205BYZ8

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:41 pm 

Calusari wrote:
Which thread would that be?

"Split from Retro Doom: Female metalheads are posers, y'all".

Back when I was a regular on the site, I said my fair share of stupid bullshit (which I have since regretted) but that thread... that is something else entirely.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:51 pm 

The best part is how every single post Civil makes he digs an even deeper hole for himself.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:56 pm 

Sup guys. So I miss anything in my absence?
inhumanist wrote:

I have a portable WD 1.5TB and it's lasted me a good couple years and multiple road trips. It's a fairly decent piece of machinery with more than enough room, and it cost about $70 too.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:39 pm 

BSS. Your stupid shit was mostly intensely naive and oblivious, rather than sexist and offensive, so that's a positive.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 756, 757, 758, 759, 760, 761, 762 ... 827  Next