Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:53 pm 

Did not see a post for this but for those inerested Josh has reformed the band for the second time with most of the original line up. New album in the pipeline but can they capture their former glory. Good to see all the same.

http://www.bravewords.com/news/197126

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:59 pm 

Countdown to Xlxlx having an orgasm begins....NOW.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:07 pm 

Holy shit, great fucking news. 'Think This' is a great album, as well as the debut.

By_Inheritance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:10 pm 

I hope they stay together this time. Can't wait to hear their new material. I love both their albums, but Think This is a masterpiece and easily in my top five thrash albums.

Deviante
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:18 pm 

Pumped as hell! Love both of their albums, here's hoping the new one will kick ass.. Maybe a tour too?!

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:36 pm 

I don't see how this is such great news. With a band is as high quality as toxik, I'd be really apprehensive about listening to any new material. What band that has ever created amazing material decades earlier has ever made a perfect comeback album at least on par with their early stuff? It seems like most bands actually get worse with age. I find that kind of ironic, and I always wondered why that is.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:47 pm 

metaldiscussor666 wrote:
I don't see how this is good news. With a band is as high quality as toxik, I'd be really apprehensive about listening to any new material. What band that has ever created amazing material decades earlier has ever made a perfect comeback album at least on par with their early stuff? It seems like most bands actually get worse with age. I find that kind of ironic, and I always wondered why that is.

In most cases this is true but there are many bands out there that have came back with damn fine albums, Forbidden, Heathen, God's Tower etc etc. So I will not write them of yet, you got to admit it is exciting hearing a new track from a previously defunct band to see how they fair out nowadays.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:51 pm 

STORMM wrote:
metaldiscussor666 wrote:
I don't see how this is good news. With a band is as high quality as toxik, I'd be really apprehensive about listening to any new material. What band that has ever created amazing material decades earlier has ever made a perfect comeback album at least on par with their early stuff? It seems like most bands actually get worse with age. I find that kind of ironic, and I always wondered why that is.

In most cases this is true but there are many bands out there that have came back with damn fine albums, Forbidden, Heathen, God's Tower etc etc. So I will not write them of yet, you got to admit it is exciting hearing a new track from a previously defunct band to see how they fair out nowadays.

I'm stuck between the coldness of the first and the hope of the second.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:52 pm 

To say I'm pleased would be an understatement. Now let's hear some new shit. :D

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:57 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:

HELL. YES.

Aaaaaaaaagh.....

*shudders*

That feels soooooo goooooooood.

In all seriousness; this is goddamn motherfuckingly fantastawesome.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:00 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Necroticism174 wrote:

HELL. YES.

Aaaaaaaaagh.....

*shudders*

That feels soooooo goooooooood.

:lol:

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:40 pm 

STORMM wrote:
Forbidden, Heathen, God's Tower etc etc.

Those all sucked :tongue:

Anyway, I uhh... have a lot to say on the subject. Stay tuned.

EDIT: Wait no longer, my review of Think This is now up. There lies my entire opinion on the band.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Last edited by BastardHead on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By_Inheritance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:24 pm 

metaldiscussor666 wrote:
I don't see how this is such great news. With a band is as high quality as toxik, I'd be really apprehensive about listening to any new material. What band that has ever created amazing material decades earlier has ever made a perfect comeback album at least on par with their early stuff? It seems like most bands actually get worse with age. I find that kind of ironic, and I always wondered why that is.

True most reunion albums suck, but there's always that chance it could be good. If not, a new album usually means some kind of tour or maybe festival gigs. I'd kill to see Toxik live so it seems worth it.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:37 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
STORMM wrote:
Forbidden, Heathen, God's Tower etc etc.

Those all sucked :tongue:

Anyway, I uhh... have a lot to say on the subject. Stay tuned.

WELL you're very wrong I assure you.

Can't wait. Great fucking band, no doubt about it.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:56 pm 

:hyper: Awesome! It took me a while to get into their stuff originally but now they are one of my go-to bands when I need some thrash with a touch of melody. Great news.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:09 pm 

I have nearly all their stuff (which is admittedly not much) and have been looking forward to this possibility this it was bandied around in the Toxik thread a few months ago.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:45 pm 

Maybe it'll be like the EvilDead reunion?

"Hey guys, this is a great idea!"

"Hey guys, this was a terrible idea."

For the record, I don't want that to actually happen, but considering their first attempt, eh.

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:32 am 

OH GAWD OH GAWD thank fuck, glad to read that the band regards this as a proper reunion. I have high hopes for the new music since Josh Christian is a brilliant guitarist and composer.

Sucks that Tad isn't in the band anymore though..he was a big part of Toxik's sound and a pretty underrated drummer too IMO.

Full album for streaming/download: http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.facebook.com/HalberdDoom

epicandrew
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:40 am 

If they play anywhere in the USA, I'm there. One of the best Thrash bands ever.

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:05 am 

Awesome, will be interesting to hear what they have in store for us!
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:27 am 

metaldiscussor666 wrote:

Monotheist would like a word with you.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:32 pm 

As would The Devil You Know, The Evolution of Chaos, When Death Comes and Blood of the Nations for a start.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:39 pm 

MOTHER OF FUCK this is the best news I've heard since I got into metal! World Circus is in my top 5 or so favorite albums and Josh Christian is my favorite metal guitarist. Although I wonder how heir vocalist will do now. Surely he can't be doing those wailing falsettos like he used to.

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:43 pm 

Thashierthanthou wrote:
MOTHER OF FUCK this is the best news I've heard since I got into metal! World Circus is in my top 5 or so favorite albums and Josh Christian is my favorite metal guitarist. Although I wonder how their vocalist will do now. Surely he can't be doing those wailing falsettos like he used to.

Guys like Harry Conklin and Glenn Hughes are living proof that you don't need to be young to belt out some insane high notes, so I wouldn't be too worried. Sure, Sanders' voice is bound to be at least slightly deeper than it was in World Circus, but until I hear him, I'm expecting nothing but awesomeness.

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:08 am 

Worst case scenario he does notably lower vocals but still does them masterfully. As long as Josh Christian is still shredding like he was back in the day, all will be good.

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

enigmatech
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:32 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
KING FUCKING DIAMOND is living proof that you don't need to be young to belt out some insane high notes, so I wouldn't be too worried. Sure, Sanders' voice is bound to be at least slightly deeper than it was in World Circus, but until I hear him, I'm expecting nothing but awesomeness.

I fixed your post.

Anyway, "World Circus" was a great album, so I'm excited to hear what they will do. I was not a fan of the little bits and pieces I have heard from the second album, but perhaps this is just because I haven't really payed it enough attention.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:49 am 

Actually, King Diamond isn't as good as he used to be. He's still solid and retains all of his charisma, but he's far from the vocal theatrics he used to pull off during the times of Don't Break the Oath, Abigail and the like. I see people as Conklin or Hughes as much better examples of high pitched singers who have resisted the passing of time, as their voices haven't aged a day.

Also Enigmatech, for all intents and purposes, please do listen to Think This. It's one of the best metal albums ever. PERIOD.

enigmatech
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:37 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
Actually, King Diamond isn't as good as he used to be. He's still solid and retains all of his charisma, but he's far from the vocal theatrics he used to pull off during the times of Don't Break the Oath, Abigail and the like. I see people as Conklin or Hughes as much better examples of high pitched singers who have resisted the passing of time, as their voices haven't aged a day.

Also Enigmatech, for all intents and purposes, please do listen to Think This. It's one of the best metal albums ever. PERIOD.

Well, I am speaking mostly of the videos I have seen of his very recent performances. He has improved so much since he returned, and when you take into account his age, health problems, and reputation as a huge (now ex) smoker, and the fact that he was always (even back in the 80's) more concerned with being a showman on stage than being completely perfect, I think he's doing amazingly. Of course, I really hope this means he will bring back the falsetto for their next album.

Anyway, I did hear a song called "There Stood the Fence", which was great, but I need to give the rest more of a chance.

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:44 pm 

sounds awesome but their huge contribution to thrash metal sets my expectations a little bit too high, i fear being dissapointed by one of my all time favs

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:08 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:

Don't forget James Rivera, whom I believe is actually better now than he ever was. He retains almost all his range and has a truly sinister tone nowadays. Other vocalists have also aged gracefully, like Tony Moore from Riot.

Honestly, I kind of wish they got Charles Sabin back, since I preferred his vocals to Sanders's, but I still think he'll do a good job here.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:12 pm 

There was some sort of documentary made about the last reunion, and from that footage it seemed liked Sanders still had it, but I'm not 100% sure. I also would have preferred Sabin to do it, but Sanders is good too. I'd like to see how he handles the Think This material in it's finalized form (There was that live video of him doing Spontaneous but at the point the chorus was just him yelling SPONTANEOUS randomly)

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:30 pm 

Metal_Detector wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:
I see people as Conklin or Hughes as much better examples of high pitched singers who have resisted the passing of time, as their voices haven't aged a day.

Don't forget James Rivera, whom I believe is actually better now than he ever was. He retains almost all his range and has a truly sinister tone nowadays. Other vocalists have also aged gracefully, like Tony Moore from Riot.

Honestly, I kind of wish they got Charles Sabin back, since I preferred his vocals to Sanders's, but I still think he'll do a good job here.

Ah yes, Rivera and Moore. Oh, and John fucking Arch, man! All great examples of tenors who have retained all of their range and power despite being several years older now.

As for Sabin, I got to say that I also prefer his vocals to Sanders', but only slightly. Sabin is a more controlled, balanced and professional singer, but Sanders' insanity fits the band's over the top speed and technicality like a glove. I'm fine with either of them.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:54 pm 

Think This fucking sucks. Listen to some real thrash: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptHdz-z3ess

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:59 pm 

I trust your opinions on everything overtly old school, ANA. I'm afraid I can't say the same for everything else though :-P

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:04 pm 

He's right though, he's the second person (besides me) I've ever seen voice a negative opinion on that album.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:10 pm 

Yeah, I just read your review. Can't say I agree in any way whatsoever, as I reviewed the album myself here in MA and gave it a 100% score. I do remember you talking about how you love extremes in music though, and thus I understand how Think This would seem like an inferior album to World Circus to you.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:11 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Think This fucking sucks. Listen to some real thrash: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptHdz-z3ess

Okay, I'm going to assume you're being sarcastic. Or hilariously ironic by posting one of the worst major thrash bands ever as an example of 'real thrash.'

Think This is a masterpiece. It may sound arrogant as fuck, but I think the people who don't particularly like it just don't get it, or they expect it to be something it's not. It's more like Proggy/techy USPM than thrash like World Circus or similar tech/thrash bands like Realm (Endless War). The vocal performance and songwriting lead in a more progressive direction, even if their roots are in thrash.

Personally, I actually think World Circus is far overrated, would probably rate it closer to what Bastardhead gave it, and would give Think This a score around the mid 90's. Obviously everyone's entitled to their opinion though. :)

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:41 pm 

Metal_Detector wrote:
ANationalAcrobat wrote:

Okay, I'm going to assume you're being sarcastic. Or hilariously ironic by posting one of the worst major thrash bands ever as an example of 'real thrash.'

Think This is a masterpiece. It may sound arrogant as fuck, but I think the people who don't particularly like it just don't get it, or they expect it to be something it's not. It's more like Proggy/techy USPM than thrash like World Circus or similar tech/thrash bands like Realm (Endless War). The vocal performance and songwriting lead in a more progressive direction, even if their roots are in thrash.

Personally, I actually think World Circus is far overrated, would probably rate it closer to what Bastardhead gave it, and would give Think This a score around the mid 90's. Obviously everyone's entitled to their opinion though. :)

Not sure what ANA was going for but Annihilator had some good stuff on their first couple of albums, that much I think we can all agree with. The song being from a later album makes me cautious about what the endgame was but still, it's the guy's opinion.

Now, as much as I love Toxik and both their albums, to treat Think This as some unfathomable masterpiece that only those who enjoy it understand is quite lame to say the least. People are entitled to dislike things one likes for whatever reason they have. It doesn't matter that the reasoning used is skewed or well grounded, everyone is entitled to an opinion. It's funny that you mention that Think This is close to USPM though, when in my view World Circus and Realm are much closer to that movement and Suiciety is much proggier than any of the aforementioned.

With that being said, both Toxik albums are great in their own fields of operation, and to say that either one is horrible or magnanimous is a bit of a stretch. Overrated I can live with because a certain segment of fans tend to treat either one as holy cows. I think they're great but not the best albums ever. But then again, this is just another opinion, right?! :p

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:18 pm 

Yeah, saying that was a bit out of line, I suppose, but it gets under my skin when people seem to expect Think This and efforts by Mekong Delta or late 80s Voivod to be full-fledged thrash albums. That's 'kay, though, no harm done. :beer:

By_Inheritance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:35 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:

Real thrash, yet you post a shit Annihilator Song? Annihilator are just an above average thrash band. Well their first two albums were anyway. Think This is a masterpiece.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next