Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:27 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:
Dude, I just listened to Darkthrone's newest song, and..... It's thrashy USPM? Yes, hell yes! YES!

I can get behind this. Is the whole album going to be like this, I wonder?

I certainly hope so. From what I understand, Fenriz has indeed mentioned more epic doom and classic metal vibes entering the fold, so I guess it's safe to say that there will be more from where that came from. Plus, the new album cover screams Manilla Road.
colin040 wrote:
Necroticism174 wrote:
So Kelly Sundown Carpenter has joined Firewind now. This guy is slowly becoming a member of every power metal band. Not that I'm complaining.

I'll predict the future here: he'll leave after recording one album that's lackluster as usual.

I want you to be wrong, Colin. It'd be great to hear Kelly soaring above actually good music, for once. Don't know much about Firewind though, beyond Burning Earth (which is solid, if not amazing).

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:30 pm 

Back for some more Ceremonium gospel... Into the Autumn Shade is a wonderful piece of death/doom that I'd expect not many here might have been exposed to yet. Definitely for fans of gloomy, slow DM such as diSEMBOWELMENT, Winter, early Cianide, Gorement... Lots of meaty DM goodness but tempered with a healthy dose of subtlety in the melodic/harmonic choices that give the whole affair a more complex emotional palette. Good stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh3Qr1gM7W0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og1TkNEbW2s

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:38 pm 

I like every single project Kelly has been involved with musically. Outworld is crazy metal with fucked up soloing. Beyond Twilight is prog excellence. Epysode is modern metal opera godliness. Y'all know nothing.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:10 pm 

Goatfangs wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cnlJOC8MuA - DAMN

That clicking sound is coming from the mantis!

Pretty!

And pretty metal.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:44 pm 

Me, my brother and my friend performed Voice of the Soul in front of 30 people today, old and young folks.
Shit was amazing, the mic made the acoustic stand out and not get overpowered by our amps. :-D

So tired from the walk back, though. Anyone know any good games for Steam that are cheap/free? Already got Team Fortress 2, amazing game.

Xlxlx wrote:
Dude, I just listened to Darkthrone's newest song, and..... It's thrashy USPM? Yes, hell yes! YES!

Where the fuck have I been? Holy shit this is so refreshing and unexpected!

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:02 pm 

I've never really gave Darkthrone much of a listen before, due to my overall lack of interest in Norwegian black metal, but holy fucking shit does that new song rule. I can really see myself loving the hell out of this record if the whole thing is like it. Cool to hear Fenriz's clean vocals do, as I did like Isengard.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:05 pm 

Has anyone seen this Nergal movie role? Plays a Nazi officer.

http://blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode= ... mID=184974
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... cVy5ijF_UU
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

TheEvilSocky
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:43 pm 

I always love it when people that I despise (but work with, so I have to keep a civil relationship with anyway) hook me up with their close relatives that have several children. I have to wonder when I go on and on about my total hatred of where I live and the people I am forced to be around and their insufferable children and how I consider myself a card carrying misanthropist all fucking day do they just tune it out?

It took 25 minute of me saying "I have no interest in having a relationship, I never hang out with the friends I've got, I get physically ill being around people." before she finally hung up on me.
No doubt I'll hear about how I hurt her feelings tomorrow and of course have a great deal of bodily harm threatened towards my person.
I just don't see how I could have put it any plainer, other than "Fuck off and die, I don't like interacting with you or your family and wish none of you would ever speak to me again."

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:06 am 

If you ever need a good laugh...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAqmzmirixg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On6ksmDKOio

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:23 am 

Hi. I was doing some research on the difference between FLAC and MP3. I've had an increased interest in the subject since I purchased a pare of hifiman he-400 headphones, and a DAC for the purpose of listening to music (which is something I do all the time). I don't feel I fully understand the difference between flac and MP3, and I had always used MP3s up to this point. I think that FLAC file is supposed to be for archiving music or something.

I am aware of the difference in bit rates, and that a lower bit rate like 120kbps will sound 'muddier' than a 320kbps or MP3(VBR). I think I can pretty much tell the difference between those two things. However, what I don't understand is why some people claim they can hear the difference between FLAC and MP3. I think there's supposed to be a difference in hertz between a flac file and an MP3. Isn't there supposedly higher frequencies? The question is can the human ear pick up on these frequencies? I think the difference can be compared to higher quality photos. Once the photo quality reaches a certain point, the human eye can't recognize a difference.

Would anyone on this forum care to give their opinion about this?

I haven't received all the necessary components to actually try out the headset yet BTW. Returning is an option at this point. I feel unconvinced about the difference. I have been told that my headphones are too expensive, and the FLAC is a waste of space. I would appreciate reasoning behind any responses given. I can't really reflect off of something that's just someone else's opinion.

EDIT: would I be allowed to make a thread about this?

Last edited by metaldiscussor666 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dylbean
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:25 am 

Wait. How come I wasn't informed that Baron Rojo covered the Who's Tommy? I mean, I don't expect it to be good, but this is a really weird idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkWKh0C-Rtk

OneRodeToAsaBay
Unangeschnallt den Bullen reingefahren

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:38 am 

Metaldiscussor666, FLAC is primarily useful for archival purposes in which true audio fidelity is paramount. It's highly unlikely you or I or anyone else would genuinely be able to hear the difference between an FLAC file and high bitrate MP3. Keep your headphones but don't bother with FLAC as it's not really worth it.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:41 am 

metaldiscussor666 wrote:
Hi. I was doing some research on the difference between FLAC and MP3. I've had an increased interest in the subject since I purchased a pare of hifiman he-400 headphones, and a DAC for the purpose of listening to music (which is something I do all the time). I don't feel I fully understand the difference between flac and MP3, and I had always used MP3s up to this point. I think that FLAC file is supposed to be for archiving music or something.

I am aware of the difference in bit rates, and that a lower bit rate like 120kbps will sound 'muddier' than a 320kbps or MP3(VBR). I think I can pretty much tell the difference between those two things. However, what I don't understand is why some people claim they can hear the difference between FLAC and MP3. I think there's supposed to be a difference in hertz between a flac file and an MP3. Isn't there supposedly higher frequencies? The question is can the human ear pick up on these frequencies? I think the difference can be compared to higher quality photos. Once the photo quality reaches a certain point, the human eye can't recognize a difference.

I haven't received all the necessary components to actually try out the headset yet BTW. Returning is an option at this point. I feel unconvinced about the difference. I have been told that my headphones are too expensive, and the FLAC is a waste of space. I would appreciate reasoning behind any responses given. I can't really reflect off of something that's just someone else's opinion.

On a lot of recordings, you won't be able to tell the difference between 320kbps and flac. Some people claim to be able to, but can't do it in double blind tests. One recording where I could hear a difference was the re-released of Torgeist's demos, where the recording is already very rough and there's a lot of noise and hiss, which sounds a bit different, a little harsher and slightly more artifacted. You'll notice that in most 128kbps mp3s, the cymbals sound like shit. Some codec are worse than others with how they are compressed, problems are primarily with much older rips when people used MusicMatch JukeBox and shit like that.

The easy way to get around this is to just use a CD player as a source, as you talk about collecting CDs a lot.

Regarding higher frequencies, some people can hear them and some can't. Older people lose hearing in extremely high frequencies - if you ever see anyone with one of those high-pitched, squealing bug repellers, you'll know because they annoy the hell out of people under ~30 and people over 50 don't hear them at all. The really, really high frequencies generally aren't that important to recorded music anyway, especially anything with distortion and mixing.

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:48 am 

Thank you very much for your replies.

PhantomGreen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:00 am 

I'm going to squeal like a little girl and possibly wet myself when that Vhöl album finally drops.

mea navis aëricumbens anguillis abundat

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:13 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:
Regarding higher frequencies, some people can hear them and some can't. Older people lose hearing in extremely high frequencies - if you ever see anyone with one of those high-pitched, squealing bug repellers, you'll know because they annoy the hell out of people under ~30 and people over 50 don't hear them at all. The really, really high frequencies generally aren't that important to recorded music anyway, especially anything with distortion and mixing.

I've heard that thing being used to repel teenagers loitering around shops.

However, I can hear high frequencies very well. I'd likely be able to hear the high pitched din that those devices make.

I doubt I'll ever come across one, but if I do and it annoys me, I'll respectfully ask the shop owner to turn it off. Grr.

If he doesn't. I'll respectfully approach the high pitch squealing device and respectfully throw a brick at it. Grr.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:50 am 

OzzyApu wrote:

I saw the clips earlier today. His dialogue seems choppy but then again I don't know what the fuck he is saying.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:16 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Intelestinngg... anyone here familiar with these guys [Ceremonium]? Don't believe I've ever heard mention of them on the boards before.

Yeah, they're an excellent band. Or I should say the second album is. I absolutely adore the atmosphere on No Longer Silent and how it takes a lot of influence from black metal while still staying firmly in the death metal camp. The melodicity works very well too. I'm not too keen on the debut. It's not bad, but it drags quite a bit and doesn't really hit those atmospheric sweet spots that music like that must hit to be worth listening. It's been years though so perhaps a re-listen is warranted.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:24 am 

metaldiscussor666 wrote:

FLAC has bigger album art and a warmer sound!

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:46 am 

metaldiscussor666 wrote:

Most of my music is in flac codec, I like to listen to music at the same quality as a cd, having room for the large files on my player.
Can you hear a difference between bit rates of between 256kbps and 1000kbps? I believe the music sounds better (richer ?) I hear background effects clearer than previously when listening to mp3's.
Many say you cannot tell a difference, that shows how slight any difference is, so most only use flac for storage, (you can convert down but not up from a lossy codec).

While the jury is out wether or not the huge flac files are worth it, I usually can tell a difference between 192kbps and 320kbps (notice when ever someone posts a test for comparison, the sample is carefully chosen with soft vocals and "lighter" music). But as I have space, and I collect cds, I prefer to listen to as (close) as they would sound when played on a good system. My players are good quality, maybe there is even less of an appreciable difference if you listen with a budget player?

I used to buy mp3's at 320, even 192kbps, for not much less than the cd would cost, I now consider them a waste of money and should not really be more than a few pounds ($3). Your buying something that isn't of a quality how the studio recorded it, lossless gives you more options, especially when systems change - more future proof.

Experiment and find which codec you prefer, I started out collecting many mp3's only to decide later on I would much prefer the actual cd or download a lossless file, and have since deleted many MB of music.

LanceCriminal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:23 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:
metaldiscussor666 wrote:

On a lot of recordings, you won't be able to tell the difference between 320kbps and flac. Some people claim to be able to, but can't do it in double blind tests. One recording where I could hear a difference was the re-released of Torgeist's demos, where the recording is already very rough and there's a lot of noise and hiss, which sounds a bit different, a little harsher and slightly more artifacted. You'll notice that in most 128kbps mp3s, the cymbals sound like shit. Some codec are worse than others with how they are compressed, problems are primarily with much older rips when people used MusicMatch JukeBox and shit like that.

The easy way to get around this is to just use a CD player as a source, as you talk about collecting CDs a lot.

You guys make me really afraid to become an audiophile

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:09 pm 

Man, I'm having just one of those weeks. It's been raining and shitty, and I've been late to work every day this week by a fairly fair margin. It's definitely like, "oh so I have time to shower and that's pretty much it?" I've intaken nothing but junk fast food this week and I've been in a real shitty mood, mainly because of a terrible diet and oversleeping and traffic. It all kind of came to a head this morning as I was rushing to get out of the house, I sync'd my iPod, took my shower, made my morning milkshake and while leaving the house in the rain, my iPod decided to not only not sync the new podcasts that downloaded last night, but it decided to completely remove the podcast tab on my iPod (I didn't even know this could actually happen), so now I can't even access podcasts. All I did was hit "sync" on my computer, and nothing else. Obviously I don't check my iPod every time it syncs, because I've never had a problem with it.

So, I threw my iPod in my car, it landed some place I don't give a shit about, and now I'm sitting here, discovering even cooler podcasts and listening to death metal on YouTube. I guess it isn't so bad?

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:17 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Man, I'm having just one of those weeks. It's been raining and shitty, and I've been late to work every day this week by a fairly fair margin. It's definitely like, "oh so I have time to shower and that's pretty much it?" I've intaken nothing but junk fast food this week and I've been in a real shitty mood, mainly because of a terrible diet and oversleeping and traffic. It all kind of came to a head this morning as I was rushing to get out of the house, I sync'd my iPod, took my shower, made my morning milkshake and while leaving the house in the rain, my iPod decided to not only not sync the new podcasts that downloaded last night, but it decided to completely remove the podcast tab on my iPod (I didn't even know this could actually happen), so now I can't even access podcasts. All I did was hit "sync" on my computer, and nothing else. Obviously I don't check my iPod every time it syncs, because I've never had a problem with it.

So, I threw my iPod in my car, it landed some place I don't give a shit about, and now I'm sitting here, discovering even cooler podcasts and listening to death metal on YouTube. I guess it isn't so bad?

Send the rain this way; I dislike waking up when its sunny out because the brightness is so shocking it feels obnoxious and overwhelming after I crawl out of my dark room. I feel like overcast/rainy days are a lot more subtle and make it easier to wake up in a more relaxed manner.

...I should move to Seattle/London/Finland - I seem to have the inverse of that "overcast=depression" thing.

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:39 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:

Not sure what kind of device you're using but this happened to me recently with my iPhone. One of the last itunes updates wiped out the tab completely in the music player and now you need a free app for it. What podcasts are you into?

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:56 pm 

Inspector_Satan wrote:
Not sure what kind of device you're using but this happened to me recently with my iPhone. One of the last itunes updates wiped out the tab completely in the music player and now you need a free app for it. What podcasts are you into?

Nerdist, Giant Bombcast, Mental Illness Happy Hour, StarTalk, Pointless. I was using my iPod. There was no update that downloaded or anything. All I did was hit sync and now I don't have a podcast tab anymore on it. I need to see if maybe something was changed during the night, or if I somehow hit something else, or whatever, because this has never happened, and a Google search turned up nothing.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:59 pm 

LanceCriminal wrote:
Zodijackyl wrote:

You guys make me really afraid to become an audiophile

You would probably be even more terrified of learning about engineering your own music if that's the case. :wink:

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:57 pm 

Known Boris for some time know, but never really delved into their discography. I got the american version of Smile a couple of months ago, listened to (and loved) Heavy Rocks, Akuma no uta, Pink, a couple of works here and there like their more recent material, never could get into Absolutego or Amplifier Worship. And I recently got their 2003 dvd (which is killer) consisting mostly of their stoner material, ventured more into their more inaccessible work like the aforementioned first two albums, as well as Dronevil and now am finishing my first listen of Feedbacker. The more I listen to those guys the more I love em, I think I'm a fan now. Their more droney stuff is truly great, and their stoner albums got a killer vibe and energy (the drummer is insane). Hell, I even enjoy their dream-pop album, Attention Please. These guys know how to write music. And now I noticed I missed them in Montreal in 2008 when they were still playing quite a bit of their Smile songs. Anyway, these guys are insane.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:21 pm 

^ Boris is trippy as shit. I listen to Boris and more so Merzbow nowadays from time to time. People who'd sample what I am then currently listening to are left clueless.

Evil_Johnny_666

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:23 pm 

How are their works with Merzbow? I didn't want to approach them at first because they seem to be among their most inaccessible material they've written.

EDIT: Flood is real soothing, nice album so far.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:25 pm 

Sun Baked Snow Cave is soul cleansingly epic.
Hehe, foreskins.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:28 pm 

To the best of my knowledge, I think they collaborated on only a couple of songs. And quite the contrary, it's very accessible in my opinion. Merzbow's solo stuff is obviously more noise-inclined.

Edit: I enjoy Heavy Rocks and even Pink alot.

Last edited by shouvince on Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evil_Johnny_666

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:30 pm 

Soul cleasingly epic. Man, sounds promising! :-P I've read the name pop up a couple of times in the reviews, guess I'll try to listen to this one next.

Ah, thanks for the info shouvince. I guess it was the nature of Merzbow's work that made me afraid or something.

EDIT: oh, and it seems they'll be releasing a new ''boris'' (lower-case) in March, lower-case is for their more noise\drone\experimental stuff I guess? I'll keep an eye on this.
Spoiler: show

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:03 pm 

Its epic if you like noise. I use it for meditating.
Hehe, foreskins.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:46 pm 

Evil_Johnny_666 wrote:
EDIT: oh, and it seems they'll be releasing a new ''boris'' (lower-case) in March, lower-case is for their more noise\drone\experimental stuff I guess?

Probably some sort of homage to this.

Evil_Johnny_666

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:48 pm 

Ah, interesting. Anyway, Sun Baked Snow Cave is great on a first listen. Very interesting soundscapes. I can imagine myself walking in the big cold of winter while listening to this with big headphones.

slayerhatesusall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:52 pm 

Get Rock Dream and Sun baked snow cave for the stuff with merzbow. I have about 26 different Boris cds and I really like almost all of them, the only ones that I own that I don't care for too much and would recommend new listeners avoid are Black implication flooding with Keiji Haino, Megatone with Merzbow, Boris with 9dw Golden dance classics, and Boris with Michio Kurihara Cloud chamber. They aren't bad or anything, just not up to the quality of their other cds that I have imo. I have most of their cds that I want but am missing 2, Archive 3 cd set, and Boris/ barebones. And I still don't have any of their vinyl only releases.

slayerhatesusall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:00 pm 

In other news, I have had a sinus infection that has been giving me a headache every single day all day long for the past 3 months and driving me insane. No motrin, aspirin, tylenol, opiate, or anything helps the pain. I can't even enjoy listening to music since it just makes my head hurt worse and I have to turn it off. Been taking antibiotics for over a month now, they only just now seem to be helping a little, now its making me ears feel weird and prickly/ slightly painful I think thats just because its working. I'm guessing I probably waited too long to take them at first so it just takes longer to kill it because of that. :durr:

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:02 pm 

Crick wrote:
Its epic if you like noise. I use it for meditating.

I use it as a wall of sound while working...or if something awfully noisy is happening around me, I put this on.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:08 pm 

Woah, I just realized how each day I can easily eliminate one of my two daily problems: Getting sleepy from working for college and insomnia.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:35 pm 

Went to one of the grocery stores in town that I don't normally go to. Everything in the store was messed up, from signs/tags to which products were where to the automated checkout throwing exceptions on literally every item ("incorrect weight in bagging area") and having half of the stuff I got ringing up at the wrong price. As I was walking towards the door, two bags ripped at the same time. It shouldn't be hard!

Awww ... 20 dollars!? I wanted a peanut.
20 dollars can buy many peanuts!
Explain how.
Money can be exchanged for goods and services.
You make it sound easy!

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 762, 763, 764, 765, 766, 767, 768 ... 827  Next