Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Angka
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:36 am 

Hi, I just listened to the first two Koldbrann albums and realized how sloppy and dull the drummer is, it just sounds like he was drunk and just hit a piece of wood with a stick. Overall the early work is quite good, but with this kind of drumming it destroys a lot of the atmosphere.

So my question is, didn't the band notice it when listening to the final product? I don't have any problems with primitive production values as long as there's at leas a certain amount of skill but this drumming sucks right the way.

It's interesting how one element can destroy the power of Black Metal, just imagine some works of Burzum with this kind of percussion it would really suck.

The band has fired the drummer in 2009 which is no wonder but the new one is not that good either, on vertigo the drumming is a bit better produced but it's still very static and not very clever.

The only drumming parts which are even worse are those of the polish band Capricornus but this comes damn close.

Panflute
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:11 am 

I wasn't familiar with them until now, but after going to YouTube, I'd still say the drumming on Immortal's Battles in the North is far worse. It's like Abbath quickly learned how to drum when realising they didn't have a drummer for the album, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's exactly how it went.

ThouShaltSuffer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:45 am 

Eh, didn't sound too horrible to me, the worst drumming I've ever heard is probably from Splattered Cadaver's first demo.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:40 am 

Haha, I too was thinking Abbath. Nothing beats him!
The snare sound on the first Koldbrann sure is interesting though.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:08 am 

I find Koldbrann's early drumming to have a really interesting sound - sure, it's not super-tight, but a lot of the time it seems to work - The band are, as far as I know, really against the use of triggers and polished drum production, so that might be a factor.

Their new album really is something, while we're on the subject - a solid modern black-metal album which manages not to sound too generic. Been really well received too, I believe.

~Guest 183305
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:18 am 

ThouShaltSuffer wrote:
Eh, didn't sound too horrible to me, the worst drumming I've ever heard is probably from Splattered Cadaver's first demo.
What in the world is the drummer doing at 2:30. I haven't heard drumming that bad since Steven Adler.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:23 am 

bill andrews on death's spiritual healing and leprosy albums.... terrible

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:00 am 

Whoever plays the drums on Morrigan's Headcult and The Damned.
Great albums, if the sloppy drumming doesn't count.
The dude rides his tempobike to the bushes with the easiest parts!
Sloppy fills too.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:33 am 

His drumming isn't skillful, but it's not at all terrible. Perhaps you haven't listened to an awful lot of black metal - or a lot of awful black metal.

Last edited by hakarl on Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:37 pm 

ACM wrote:
ThouShaltSuffer wrote:
What in the world is the drummer doing at 2:30. I haven't heard drumming that bad since Steven Adler.

I don't get why this would be the worst drummer ever?

Hellrisen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:03 pm 

Turner wrote:

I think thats more of a case of the drums being recorded really shitty, not because the drummer is bad.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:14 pm 

Rocka_Rollas wrote:
ThouShaltSuffer wrote:
I don't get why this would be the worst drummer ever?

Me neither.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:18 pm 

These people probably consider Tomas Asklund to be a pretty good drummer. I like sloppy drummers as long as said sloppiness won't distract from enjoying the substance overmuch. People seem to think that anyone with completely quantised and triggered tracks is a good drummer, whereas someone who has the skill and the opportunity to let go on the groove is a bad one.

uzilover
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:35 pm 

I agree with Ilwhyan, Abbath's drumming for Immortal was fucking great btw. It's full of enthusiasm and suits the music perfectly. Horgh is pretty boring in comparison.

Bill Andrews is pretty solid as a drummer, but not the most creative in the world by a long shot. Leprosy is one of the earliest examples (if not the earliest example of using triggers on a death metal album, it's only the snare that is triggered.) He's not an outstanding drummer, but nowhere near as bad as some people like to pretend and I much prefer him to Richard Christy or someone like that.

Last edited by uzilover on Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stabwound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:43 pm 

Abbath's drumming is awesome. It somehow suits the music a lot better when it's a little sloppy. I especially love the part in the middle of Grim and Frostbitten Kingdoms when he fucks up in the middle of the blastbeat.

Last edited by Stabwound on Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaBuddha
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:25 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
These people probably consider Tomas Asklund to be a pretty good drummer. I like sloppy drummers as long as said sloppiness won't distract from enjoying the substance overmuch. People seem to think that anyone with completely quantised and triggered tracks is a good drummer, whereas someone who has the skill and the opportunity to let go on the groove is a bad one.

I guess technically Tomas Asklund has skill, but his playing is lifeless and overproduced. His old drumming was better than his work nowadays.

I like both triggered and non-triggered drums. As long as there is feeling behind the playing, that's what matters to me.
We spread our wings and fly away

Just tell Nocturno Culto you were too busy getting stoned to burn down churches, he'll understand.
Darkthrone - My Anti-Drug

enigmatech
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:44 pm 

Bill Andrews was a great drummer, and he was a much better drummer than Chris Reifert was (when he was in Death). Sure, the snare fill in "Open Casket" was pretty stupid, and he wasn't very creative, but I felt that was one of his strong points, just a very in your face approach to drumming. In my opinion, he did a great job with "Spiritual Healing" and on "From Beyond".

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:32 pm 

Stabwound wrote:
Abbath's drumming is awesome. It somehow suits the music a lot better when it's a little sloppy.

Therein lies the problem. It's not "a little sloppy". It's a complete disaster. I'd wager this is how I would sound if I tried to play drums for a black metal band and it's worth noting I've never played drums.

Lightsbane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:40 am 

DaBuddha wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:

I guess technically Tomas Asklund has skill, but his playing is lifeless and overproduced. His old drumming was better than his work nowadays.

I like both triggered and non-triggered drums. As long as there is feeling behind the playing, that's what matters to me.

Tomas isn't a bad drummer he's just very sterile. More of a rock drummer playing extreme music. He delivers a solid back bone but never anything that makes me at least say 'wow'.

Panflute
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:56 am 

Calling Abbath's drumming 'a little sloppy' is like calling rape 'civil disobedience'.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:30 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:

Wow, what a giant straw man.
Sloppiness has exactly nothing to do with being groovy. Tell me, when was the last time you heard Phil Rudd being sloppy?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:01 am 

Opus wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:

Wow, what a giant straw man.
Sloppiness has exactly nothing to do with being groovy. Tell me, when was the last time you heard Phil Rudd being sloppy?

It does, as far as I understand the word groove.

Groove is created by not playing a beat in the theoretical time that it's written in, for example a trailing snare in basic 4/4. Considerable deviation from the correct time inside a bar will sound sloppy. Sloppy drumming of course means that the drums are being played without the required amount of skill to play something theoretically correctly, whereas groovy playing would mean the intentional (or at least effectively grooving) deviation from that theoretical correctness. The drummer's intentions are actually irrelevant, so the difference is in how it sounds. And then we're in the realm of the subjective, and what is groovy to me might be sloppy to someone else.

blodiapunchingjin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:42 am 

Panflute wrote:
I wasn't familiar with them until now, but after going to YouTube, I'd still say the drumming on Immortal's Battles in the North is far worse. It's like Abbath quickly learned how to drum when realising they didn't have a drummer for the album, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's exactly how it went.

For the last time, Abbath played drums on both Pure Holocaust AND Battles In The North. The drumming on Battles In The North is intentional; listening to Pure Holocaust shows that Abbath can obviously play a drum set.

GoldenBull
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:26 pm 

Can't believe nobody has mentioned Capricornus!

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:16 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Groove

The difference between being groovy and being sloppy then, is consistency.
You are right in so far that it's about deviation from the exact beat. Phil Rudd creates his groove by hanging back on the hi-hat. Roger Taylor by pushing the snare, being almost too early on the beat. BUT, they do it consistently. With Abbath, you'll never know where the beat will come from one measure to the next. That as a result of limited technical skills.

elf48687789
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:09 pm 

Angka wrote:
Hi, I just listened to the first two Koldbrann albums and realized how sloppy and dull the drummer is, it just sounds like he was drunk and just hit a piece of wood with a stick. Overall the early work is quite good, but with this kind of drumming it destroys a lot of the atmosphere.

Yeah, might even be worse than Key Dragon, it even sounds like the drums are very badly tuned/untuned.

A lot of 1980s heavier punk stuff had very sloppy drumming, for example Battalion of Saints and G.B.H. I feel G.B.H. would have been much better with tight drumming, their more metallic stuff especially.

der_kaiser
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:37 pm 

Ex Koldbrann is not a bad drummer! He is just an drummer who likes to play "Simple"! As Bill Andrews In Death, He did great job even being just a simple drummer! He was part of the band history and did good job doing it! Regarding Abath; He is an awesome drummer! "Battles in the North" Was made that way on purpose! In "Pure Holocaust" you can hear a more perfect playing! Anyway! I bet there arent too much drummers who cant even play one song from "Battles in the North"! Anyway;With those fake new sounds/triggers etc the shittiest drummer can sound good now days! Wanna know of shitty drummers? Mention Cannibal Corpse Drummer which is simple but suck! And old Graveland Drummer "Capricornious"; There in no one worst than him!

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:59 pm 

der_kaiser wrote:
I bet there arent too much drummers who cant even play one song from "Battles in the North"

I bet there are millions of drummers, and mandolinists, who can play "Battles in the North" in it's entirety, blindfolded and with unbrushed teeth! See, I can make up arguments too.

Panflute
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:32 pm 

blodiapunchingjin wrote:
Panflute wrote:

For the last time, Abbath played drums on both Pure Holocaust AND Battles In The North. The drumming on Battles In The North is intentional; listening to Pure Holocaust shows that Abbath can obviously play a drum set.

Then he probably shouldn't have recorded the drums after having downed a bottle of vodka, because intentionally bad drumming is still bad.

DaBuddha
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:17 pm 

There's an interview with Abbath where he talks about doing the drums for those two albums. Might be Until the Light Takes Us.
We spread our wings and fly away

Just tell Nocturno Culto you were too busy getting stoned to burn down churches, he'll understand.
Darkthrone - My Anti-Drug

jute
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:28 pm 

Opus wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:
Groove

The difference between being groovy and being sloppy then, is consistency.
You are right in so far that it's about deviation from the exact beat. Phil Rudd creates his groove by hanging back on the hi-hat. Roger Taylor by pushing the snare, being almost too early on the beat. BUT, they do it consistently. With Abbath, you'll never know where the beat will come from one measure to the next. That as a result of limited technical skills.

I would argue that this unpredictability is the key appeal of all sloppy playing - sloppy players will inadvertently play music that is more complex than what is "on the page" - instruments going off-tempo, off-meter (adding or skipping beats), off-key/scale/pitch collection. What might otherwise be simple music becomes constantly shifting, multi-tempo, polyrhythmic, and chromatic. I understand that hot everyone will enjoy this, but I find it very appealing.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:16 am 

No mention of Dennis Morgan from Waking the Cadaver? He's gotten better, but his early work was ridiculously weak and sloppy.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:08 pm 

A lot of boring-ass people in here, of course Abbath's drumming on Battles in the North is a 'disaster,' it sounds like a fucking whirlwind. Go suck a Hoglan.

PureFrackingArmageddon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:01 pm 

The guy who played drums for Mutiilation up until Mey'nach took over, that guy was fucking awful but it somehow makes the songs more kvlt and enjoyable. Sin Nanna.. But his playing of all instruments is equally shitty and not enjoyable at all. Also, Jekyll from Manierisme.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:27 pm 

Chaosmonger wrote:
A lot of boring-ass people in here, of course Abbath's drumming on Battles in the North is a 'disaster,' it sounds like a fucking whirlwind. Go suck a Hoglan.

If I did sigs, I'd probably sig this. Go suck a Hoglan, everybody!

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:00 pm 

After listening to Koldbrann, I don't see the big deal. It's not that bad at all, and tt's not extremely dissimilar to Mayhem's Deathcrush or many other early releases by second wave black metal acts; hell, if we're condemning sloppiness here, I dare say Deatcrush has it worse. I'd much rather listen to this than someone more inane like Mike Portnoy or Tomas Asklund Haake.

Edited with who I was really talking about

Last edited by Wilytank on Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:39 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
After listening to Koldbrann, I don't see the big deal. It's not that bad at all, and tt's not extremely dissimilar to Mayhem's Deathcrush or many other early releases by second wave black metal acts; hell, if we're condemning sloppiness here, I dare say Deatcrush has it worse. I'd much rather listen to this than someone more inane like Mike Portnoy or Tomas Asklund.

Well said. Although Tomas Asklund wouldn't be half as bad if he wrote passable drum beats instead of that outrageously insipid drivel that ruins Infernus's cool riffs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP1KYq0u89U&t=1m44s

Nice cymbal work in that blast, Tomas!

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:11 pm 

I don't have a problem with Asklund's drumming per se, but about the production on the albums he's played. From a (former) drummer's perspective, I think Tomas did a fine job on Quantos, he added the exact amount of fills to both not bore the listener and also respect the riff-driven compositions from Infernus. I mean, if people complaint about Tomas, why not Trym? both have a very similar style and role on their respective bands.

About Abbath, I don't mind the drumming on Battles. It's far from perfect but for me doesn't detract the enjoyment, like Capricornus does. Also, the drumming on both Death's leprosy and Spiritual Healing is boring as fuck.

Ancient_Mariner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:06 pm 

Turner wrote:

I don't know, more mediocre than terrible.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:06 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Wilytank wrote:
After listening to Koldbrann, I don't see the big deal. It's not that bad at all, and tt's not extremely dissimilar to Mayhem's Deathcrush or many other early releases by second wave black metal acts; hell, if we're condemning sloppiness here, I dare say Deatcrush has it worse. I'd much rather listen to this than someone more inane like Mike Portnoy or Tomas Asklund.

Well said. Although Tomas Asklund wouldn't be half as bad if he wrote passable drum beats instead of that outrageously insipid drivel that ruins Infernus's cool riffs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP1KYq0u89U&t=1m44s

Nice cymbal work in that blast, Tomas!

Also, I meant Tomas Haake from Meshuggah, I'm not really sure where I got Asklund from. I think I just saw him in this thread and assumed. :durr: It's why I grouped him together with Mike Portnoy in case anyone's wondering.

Edit: I haven't actually listened to Quantos blah blah blah in a long time, but the drumming isn't really notable in that song compared to something more fun to listen to such as Battles in the North which is so disliked here in this thread.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next