Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:09 am 

Ok dudes. I used to be all over prog. But then I had a falling out, and it became like way to gay and lame and weak for me.

What are some really, ass-kicking, prog bands? I mean, it doesn't have to be super-aggressive, but just not obsessed with wankery and shallowness, and has some really awesome lyrical ideas.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Catametalshell
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:28 am 

Our new EP Heavy Waters is now available on iTunes/Bandcamp/Youtube/Spotify etc

Hope you enjoy it!

Here is a link to bandcamp

http://digressionassassins.bandcamp.com ... avy-waters

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:29 am 

viewforum.php?f=9

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:06 pm 

I'm currently listening to Anubis Gate's A Perfect Forever. I'm curious what to expect!

The Nightmare Rider
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:18 pm 

My knowledge Progressive Metal is at best, very minimal. The extent of what I know are the biggest names and Prog/Power Crossover bands, such as Symphony X, DGM, Dream Theatre, Pagan's Mind and Evergrey. Basically anything featured in the Progressive Metal episode of Metal Evolution.

I'm looking for perhaps more Progressive/Power Crossover bands, or Prog Metal bands that have catchy lyrics, powerful vocals that make you feel a huge lump in your chest every time you hear the voice and generally upbeat/positive feeling lyrics.

I've often heard Mastodon, The Dillinger Escape Plan and Meshuggah lumped in with the extreme end of Progressive Metal, but I don't know if they count. I personally count Mastodon as more Sludge Metal, but I really enjoy them anyway. Meshuggah, not so much. So if anyone is to recommend some more extreme progressive bands, something closer to Mastodon than the high brutality levels of Meshuggah would be best.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:32 pm 

Nightmare Rider, give the progressive metal/rock band Pain Of Salvation a try. The band explores many different styles throughout their discography, but here's a quick rundown of what you could expect.

Check out:
Their first album, Entropia, if you want something funky.
Their second album, One Hour By The Concrete Lake, if you want something heavy.
Their third or fourth album, The Perfect Element or Remedy Lane, if you want something dense and melodic.
Their fifth album, 'BE', if you want something that features a full orchestra.
Their sixth album, Scarsick, if you want a more streamlined version of The Perfect Element or Remedy Lane.
Their seventh or eighth album, Road Salt I or Road Salt II, if you want blues rock, psychedelic rock, folk rock, progressive rock, hard rock, and very little metal.

Don Karlos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:00 pm 

Start with these bands, from each band check never first, since usually production is better. Threshold and Shadow gallery lost their vocalists unfortunately and their latest records are made with new vocals, and while both new guys are very good, Mike Baker(SG), and Andrew McDermott (T) were fantastic vocalists.

Threshold
Shadow gallery
Redemption
Arch/Mateos
Lance king
Caravellus
Beyond the Bridge

I didnt write any album names since you can find samples easily from YT, and its always fun to do some research.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:01 pm 

Okay, so I know the general consensus of the progressive metal/-core thread was that you guys don't consider djent metal. But since the metalcore help thread hasn't yielded any results, I turn to this one.

TheExodusAttack wrote:
Does anybody know any djent/progressive metalcore that has a clean vocalist that sounds like John Arch of Fates Warning? In case you don't know him, he's got a bit of a nasally voice but he's got a great deal of control and is one of my favorite vocalists. I've discovered a few djent bands that have clean chorus which really remind me of him. Mainly Textures and especially this Tesseract track. The singing/melodies from 3:12 to about 4:00 on that last track is exactly what I'm interested in. Can you guys feel the similarities? Got any recommendations? Bonus points for if they have harsh vocals too.

Another singer similar to what I'm looking for is vocalist for Spiral Architect

If you guys don't know any djent bands, then any prog metal bands with John Arch-worshipping vocalists are acceptable. They'd better be damn good though!
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:53 pm 

Maybe check out Payne's Gray, although they have absolutely nothing to do with modern prog/djent stuff. Actually, have you heard Teabag, the post-Psychotic Waltz band? Speaking roughly, they're basically Psychotic Waltz/Fates Warning meets Meshuggah and Believer/thrashy-metalcore riffs. Their vocalist isn't as polished as John Arch, but some of the melodies he attempts are pretty reminiscent.

FrizzySkernip
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:37 am 

Absolutely in love with Arcturus' album The Sham Mirrors. Kickass prog.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:28 pm 

HamburgerBoy wrote:
Maybe check out Payne's Gray, although they have absolutely nothing to do with modern prog/djent stuff. Actually, have you heard Teabag, the post-Psychotic Waltz band? Speaking roughly, they're basically Psychotic Waltz/Fates Warning meets Meshuggah and Believer/thrashy-metalcore riffs. Their vocalist isn't as polished as John Arch, but some of the melodies he attempts are pretty reminiscent.

Interesting stuff! The vocalist for Payne's Gray is spot on! I'll investigate more of their songs: it takes some high quality stuff to keep me absorbed in a 70+ minute metal album, but they've got potential. It's also awesome that the album is based on Dreamquest, I love that novella and think it's really underrated as far as Lovecraft goes. Teabag sounds great conceptually but it's a lot more raw and unfocused than what I'm looking for. The vocalist is all over the place but I can see why you'd recommend them. I'm liking some of their other songs more than the one you linked though, so it's not all bad. Good call with the Believer comparison, too. I remember that the guitarist of Earth Crisis played on their third album, haha.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

casusluciferi666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:37 pm 

I found a really sweet new prog rock band called The Custodians that I fell in love with almost instantly.
It upsets me however that djent, as well as other core music has come up here.
'S gross.

FrizzySkernip
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:51 pm 

Luceiferi, have you ever found a core band that you actually liked?

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:27 am 

TheExodusAttack wrote:
If you guys don't know any djent bands, then any prog metal bands with John Arch-worshipping vocalists are acceptable. They'd better be damn good though!

How about WHILE HEAVEN WEPT?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfUmhX7I4Xg

One band that I really I love that is somewhat in the vein of old FW is DEADLY BLESSING:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=677rorZtnKQ

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:59 am 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
TheExodusAttack wrote:

How about WHILE HEAVEN WEPT?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfUmhX7I4Xg

One band that I really I love that is somewhat in the vein of old FW is DEADLY BLESSING:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=677rorZtnKQ

GODDAMN While Heaven Wept was amazing! I remember trying to get into these guys a few years ago but it didn't really pan out for some reason. But that was way better than I could have imagined. Vocals were spot on and the riffage was great as well.

Deadly Blessing... I actually had downloaded this album and had it sitting around without ever listening to it for 5+ years. And just a few days ago I finally deleted it while doing some hard drive cleaning :P Song was pretty good but not enough to make me want to get it again. Reminds me of Cauldron Born more than Fates Warning, although that's not a bad thing.

casusluciferi666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:18 am 

FrizzySkernip wrote:
Luceiferi, have you ever found a core band that you actually liked?

No, and all of the bands these kids just referred to were shit.
Emo kids mindlessly ripping off decent prog metal is fucking stupid.
Not talking about you Temple.
Shit's good.

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:04 pm 

casusluciferi666 wrote:

Trying way too hard.
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

casusluciferi666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:25 pm 

IX Leviathan wrote:
casusluciferi666 wrote:

Trying way too hard.

Hating core music doesn't mean I'm trying too hard.
Tesseract is metalcore trash.

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:54 pm 

The pseudo-toughguy attitude and complete tirade on core music does though. I think we all know you hate the genre. You've only mentioned it in half your posts. No need to beat a dead horse there, Mr. Edgy.
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

casusluciferi666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:03 pm 

Not liking core music isn't a plight to sound tough.
I'm only saying that shit doesn't belong in this thread, or any of the threats I've made specifically stating that I don't want core recs in which I still proceed to receive.
It's generally agreed upon in metal that core music sucks donkey dick.
Make a progressive core thread for djent.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:08 pm 

Can you kindly shut the fuck up, casusluciferi? I'll remove your kvlt teddy bear if you don't want to stop acting like a vulgar and inane child.

casusluciferi666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:14 pm 

First off, I'm not claiming superiority, so fuck off.
All I fucking said is that djent and shit should be in a different thread, okay?
Calm your asses down and stop using this thread to bitch and moan about bands that aren't relevant to the topic.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:38 pm 

djent will be mentioned if you want it or not, don't get mad and vulgar because of that.

Also, be good on your 2 weeks trip. Maybe learn to reevaluate how you speak to others?

Argus_Eye
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:57 am 

The Nightmare Rider wrote:
My knowledge Progressive Metal is at best, very minimal. The extent of what I know are the biggest names and Prog/Power Crossover bands, such as Symphony X, DGM, Dream Theatre, Pagan's Mind and Evergrey. Basically anything featured in the Progressive Metal episode of Metal Evolution.

I'm looking for perhaps more Progressive/Power Crossover bands, or Prog Metal bands that have catchy lyrics, powerful vocals that make you feel a huge lump in your chest every time you hear the voice and generally upbeat/positive feeling lyrics.

I've often heard Mastodon, The Dillinger Escape Plan and Meshuggah lumped in with the extreme end of Progressive Metal, but I don't know if they count. I personally count Mastodon as more Sludge Metal, but I really enjoy them anyway. Meshuggah, not so much. So if anyone is to recommend some more extreme progressive bands, something closer to Mastodon than the high brutality levels of Meshuggah would be best.

Ok, so first part of your comment, my area of interest, second half, not so much so I can guarantee that everything in this comment is oriented within the melodic area of progressive metal. I guess you'd still like recommendations, if not then I hope this comment will be good for somebody else.
First thing one need to know is, there is an insane amount of melodic progressive metal releases, most of them have a very high quality regarding musicianship (not saying anything about song-writing however). Second thing and the most problematic part of finding new progressive music is that it often requires quite a lot of time dedicated to truly appreciate an album. And at last many of the artists that people (like me) recommends just won't talk to you the same way leading to you not appreciating it even though it is a largely acclaimed album. Nothing strange here, just move on to something else, no reason lingering trying to like what does not appeal to you (at least for the moment, it is worth checking back after a while and maybe it reveals itself in a new light.
But enough with my ranting let's get started with the recommendations:

Seventh Wonder. One of the best melodic progressive bands there is. Singer Tommy Karevik is one of the best (if not the best) clean vocalist in metal today (worth noting is that he now also sings in Kamelot). The albums worth checking out (all four of their albums are worth checking out, but these two are the best) Mercy Falls and The Great Escape. Mercy Falls is a concept-album telling us a story of a man in coma and his family, The Great Escape isn't a consept album, although it, while having some unconnected songs, has the 30 minutes title track and two other songs connected to the story of Aniara (a science fiction epic in the style of Odyssey from the Swedish Nobel prize winner Harry Martinsson).
Songs: The Great Escape, Alley Cat, Hide and Seek and Paradise

Darkwater. Let's continue with a musicaly similar band, Darkwater have only released half the amount of albums as Seventh Wonder (two releases as of date), but are almost on the same level regarding quality. Both their albums Calling The Earth to Witness and Where Stories end are top notch progressive metal that every prog metal fan should at least be aware of.
Songs: Why I Bleed, In The Blink Of An Eye, Habit

Then... I should probably write something about the following bands, but, I'm to lazy, I will at least provide youtube links, so at least there is something to go on.
Circus Maximus Game Of Life, Architects Of Fortune
Transcend The Love Song, Reign Over Me
Speaking To Stones Wind, sadly Still life is removed from youtube (check out their debut on spotify)
Tellus Requiem Oblivion, Eden Burns
Triosphere Marionette, The Road Less Traveled
Odd Dimensions Rising Through Light, Light Speed Journey
Mind Key Waiting for the Answer, Lord Of The Flies

There are of course more, but I can't remind me of any for the moment. Also anyone reading through this vile creation of words, feel free to come with your own recommendations to me, I'm always in search of new music.

A_Dreamer_In_The_Theater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:10 am 

Speaking of Tellus Requiem, the new album is out. It is called "Invictus (The 11th Hour)" and it is quite good.

Argus_Eye
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:22 am 

A_Dreamer_In_The_Theater wrote:
Speaking of Tellus Requiem, the new album is out. It is called "Invictus (The 11th Hour)" and it is quite good.

Would call it really good :) quality musicianship and quality song writing, certainly an enjoyable album.

MetalMarco
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:33 pm 

does anyone know some prog thrash?

DunkelFrau
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:14 am 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
Ok dudes. I used to be all over prog. But then I had a falling out, and it became like way to gay and lame and weak for me.

What are some really, ass-kicking, prog bands? I mean, it doesn't have to be super-aggressive, but just not obsessed with wankery and shallowness, and has some really awesome lyrical ideas.

There are a couple of bands that you may have heard about, one is Andromeda, I could only say that latest album Manifest Tyranny is quite enjoyable while dispatching the pretentious style prog bands tend to overrate.

The other one is Haken, both albums, Visions and Aquarius while not lacking the extremely technical part expected for such bands, are somehow kind of an easy-listening for non-fans.

For both cases, lyrics don´t lay on the vain side of non-sense"fill-with-some-unused-words"-lyrics

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:57 pm 

MetalMarco wrote:

You're probably familiar with Annihilator as their webpage is in your signature. :-P

Anyway,

Artillery

Heathen

Watchtower

Anacrusis
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:38 am 

Can anyone recommend me some late-'80s/early-'90s prog/power in the vein of Majesty/very early Dream Theater, Fates Warning, Crimson Glory, Lethal, early Elegy, etc., or recent bands in the same style? Fast, smoothly-flowing riffs (as little stop-start as possible) and plenty of over-the-top shrieky/high pitched vocals would be appreciated.

MetalMarco wrote:

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

Argus_Eye
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:36 pm 

Woolie_Wool wrote:
Can anyone recommend me some late-'80s/early-'90s prog/power in the vein of Majesty/very early Dream Theater, Fates Warning, Crimson Glory, Lethal, early Elegy, etc., or recent bands in the same style? Fast, smoothly-flowing riffs (as little stop-start as possible) and plenty of over-the-top shrieky/high pitched vocals would be appreciated.

Not exactly what you're looking for, but maybe Beyond Twilight could work?

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:38 am 

Woolie,

Heir Apparent http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO0OnfMZJp8

Psychotic Waltz http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ixSBk6hxW8

Vauxdvihl http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSc_nRSmccQ

Kingsbane http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZXjskR8GoE

Scarlet Rayne http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orklkol0yiU

Annon Vin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKxR5jt_7Bg

Soul Cages http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf8_Uw_xmFE
I'd love to blast a bit of Voivod and make a better-looking gun turret to glue on the tortoise's shell to make it look like Killing Technology, but the wife won't let me. I think I'll get an Emperor penguin instead.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:37 pm 

I'm definitely going to look into some of those, especially Heir Apparent and Kingsbane.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

mudrnudl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:38 am 

Did anybody heppen to hear "Max Magagni - Twister" album? In some way it is similar to "Emir Hot - Sevdah Metal" album.
I would like to know if there is anything similar. I believe it is influenced by classic heavy metal and hard rock of 80's, power metal and blues. I am just starting with progressive metal (so please do not recommend something too complex - for example I have really hard time to listen to Dream Theater because their songs are just too complicated).
Could you please recommend me something and do not forget to mention if you heard those two albums I have mentioned. Thanks in advance.
(appreciated: catchy, high pitched vocals, acoustic parts, drum solos...)

Baroque1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:11 pm 

The Nightmare Rider wrote:

For Prog/Power Try out:
Illusion Suite https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNnWH7SAnpc
Jag Panzer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtkdJspdAmw
Adagio https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyfvOdL3RrM
Target https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl4mf2kQy9E
Twelfth Gate https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6KkABO8kQA
Redemption https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUTxeBObySg
Seventh Wonder https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwg58wfB798
Star One https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAMgY9_KhEU
Ayreon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrINJe9mU38

Extreme prog:
Ne Obliviscaris https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1_Jbs47dC8

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:31 pm 

Just got Control and Resistance. I'm extremely happy with this purchase.

Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:28 pm 

I'm looking for Prog in two specific styles. One is a space-rocky style in the vein of Hawkwind, Star One, and Space Mirrors. The other is the style used by Phantasmagory and Azazello which I can't really describe very well.

Here's an example of Azazello
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ysoPCzfHWM

Space Mirrors
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL1WLWfpEXs

Crick wrote:
The first one is silly because it's got such dainty eyelashes, yet the guy is terrified. NOT THE MASCARA, CTHULHU! ANYTHING BUT THE MASCARA!

Last edited by Cthulhu_Fhtagn on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gastjale
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:22 am 

I'd be more than grateful if someone recommend me music similar to that of Gryphon (http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=135), particularly the kind of stuff they did on Midnight Mushrumps and Red Queen. Medieval and usually joyful, why not emotive, prog rock with classical instruments galore. Also, please don't recommend stuff like Reneissance or Anthony Phillips (the debut), they are far from being similar, yet someone always mentions them. I'm pretty familiar with progressive rock in general, so refrain from mentioning some obvious bands like Gentle Giant or Jethro Tull.

Speaking of Tull, if someone could suggest me stuff (preferably non-metal) that is even remotely close to A Passion Play, I'd be happy to hear it. It's a unique piece of music for sure, but who knows if some other bands could pull out such crooked and beautiful melodies and make them work. Pretentiousness has never been a problem for me, so bring it on! Note that the recommendations don't have to be long songs.

Ninjakillzu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:28 pm 

I'm looking for prog metal that uses a ton of spacey sounding keyboards that sounds like Ayreon or Arjen Lucassen's other projects.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:49 am 

Has anyone here heard Constantine's Divine Design? So far I only heard it once but I've got nothing to complain about yet. Very Maiden-esque progressive metal with high pitched enthousiastic vocal lines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U88hcuP53Dc

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 23  Next