Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:09 pm 

Yeah FD is an excellent genre, from about 2008 onwards its been swamped by too many uninspired and uninteresting Skepticisc mimicks, but until then nearly all of it was worthwhile. Even these days its got a fair few gems, in fact my last two albums of the year were funeral doom albums.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:31 pm 

There's maybe 10 (generous) good funeral doom bands and the rest are truly horrendous. There's this huge gulf in quality between the best and the rest. It's one of the few genres where in my not-very-humble-opinion the originators (that being good ol' Therg and Skept) are just streets ahead of the rest, and perhaps that's why I'm pretty off it these days; no one really comes close to them and we're left with a pretty huge amount of rubbish. When it works though it's pretty all time, Stream from the Heavens would be close to my album of the decade.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:17 am 

Therg are one of my least favourite ones actually, that god damned buzzing noise. Skepriism are pretty rad though. I think Esoteric are streets ahead of the others, but they're also streets ahead of.every other band regardless of style. I don't really find any of it horrenous other than the ones which dive too fa into the mopey keyboard feelsy shit. Which is most of them after 2008 I guess haha.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:31 am 

Anyone want to recommend some good death and roll? Or maybe a band or album that helped define the sound? I just listened to the new Six Feet Under posted in the main forum and while it seemed fairly mediocre I could see myself getting into the style.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:37 am 

Never understood why people like Catacombs. It's alright, I guess, but definitely not worth any hype. When it comes to Lovecraftian funeral doom, Tyranny is...er...streets...beyonndd.

Anyone looking for other quality contemporary funeral doom would do well to check out Profetus. The Skepticism/Mournful Congregation influences are pretty obvious, but I think they blend the two into a really successful and engaging entity. Kinda like 'em more than most of Skepticism's actual catalogue. Beautiful stuff!

In any case, when it comes to funeral doom, Stream from the Heavens really is one of the greatest. One of those unrepeatable events.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:43 am 

Profetus suck, they're one of these totally vapid new funeral doom bands I always bitch about. Dull as shit.

Catacombs are good, but yeah people go a bit too nutty over them, the whole album has exactly one, simple trick.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:10 am 

shouvince wrote:
I never thought I'd find bats adorable.

But aren't they, though?!

I literally went all like "Ohh-ho-ho-hooooo! :'D" at the bats with bottles in their mouths.
They're like tiny chihuahua-bears. @_@

Spoiler: show
AM NAM NAM NAM!

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:16 am 

Don't you have like ten cats or something? I'd advise against bringing bats into the mix.

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:29 am 

CorpseFister wrote:
good death and roll?

Entombed did a good job with it, I'm having trouble thinking of more but they're considered pretty definitive I think.

New account, be my friend on the internet! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520745780

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:31 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Profetus suck, they're one of these totally vapid new funeral doom bands I always bitch about. Dull as shit.

Eh, I think they do what they do damn well. It's not very original, but they know exactly what they want to do and make damn sure to do it right. I can see why they might not do it for you, though, it's fairly repetitive stuff. But they're definitely talented, and if they can manage to break their particular mould and take a step into more original songwriting territory I wouldn't be surprised to hear a minor masterpiece of sorts.

I was going to ask what the top 2012 albums you mentioned were, but then I remembered one of them was Monolithe III. Yeah...that didn't go over that well for me. Couldn't sit more than halfway through it, and I genuinely enjoyed the first and second chapters a fair deal. I think I actually gave it a longer chance than I would've based on your rating, but... eh. Definitely respect their striking out into fresh territory, but it just felt tedious to me. The riffwork/composition didn't grab me at all. Too busy/diverse to be meditative, not dynamic enough to be evocative. It just kind of floats in this middling territory where instruments are being played.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:07 am 

I'm not crazy about it either, but I find it hard to deny that the first 15 minutes or so are really good.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:21 am 

Has anyone else noticed the huge number of Bandcamp net-releases coming from Sloth [OH] showing up on Discogs since some point last year or the year before? I swear, there's at least on a week lately.

Anyway, WHERE DO THEY KEEP GETTING THESE SQUIRRELS AND BABY TURTLES FROM?!

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:22 am 

CorpseFister wrote:
Don't you have like ten cats or something? I'd advise against bringing bats into the mix.

I definitely wouldn't bring a bat home, but I still think they can be awfully cute.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:30 am 

Just bought tickets for a couple shows coming up in the spring at St. Vitus in New York: Incantation/Evoken and Absu. Should be some good times in store. I haven't been to a live show in.....fucking years, let alone a metal show. There aren't many US bands that I particularly like, so catching more than one of them in my neck of the woods, at the same venue, in the space of a couple weeks, seems incredibly efficient. Very, very efficient and organized. I'll make sure to wear my tightest underwear.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:58 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Just bought tickets for a couple shows coming up in the spring at St. Vitus in New York: Incantation/Evoken and Absu. Should be some good times in store.

Bloody hell that will be a stormer.

Regarding the whole funeral doom thingy; does anyone rate Evoken's Atra Mors as a solid contender? Probably leaning further into death metal territory (in some aspects), but fuck me if it isn't a colossal, well crafted slab of bleak misery-ridden awesome. I liked it much more than Alloy as a comparison - it felt so much colder and darker.

My collection

TheEvilSocky
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:35 am 

I have a hard time getting into FD on a whole, mainly because the idea of taking Sabbaths original schematic (Monster fucking riffs that crush even the sturdiest structure under their immense weight) and slowing it down and making it ten times heavier sounds so fucking amazing on paper yet, the guys that do it seem WAY too preoccupied with how depressing and lovecraftian their lyrics are to be arsed enough to write an actual riff thats you know... Heavy. I will say though I think Ahab did a wonderful job of it on the Call of the Wretched Sea, even though they, in my opinion, turned straight to shit on their next album.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:49 am 

Atra Mors doesn't come close to being nearly as great as Alloy. It's a decent album, don't get me wrong, but it never really grew on me and I still consider it Evoken's second weakest.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:58 am 

Hmmm different take on things... second weakest though seems a little harsh, considering how good it is, and how awesome my taste is. What's their first weakest in your opinion? Surely not Antithesis Of Light? As for Alloy, I also believe it to be a great album, but doesn't have the same sort of... hateful abandon, and willful destruction that Atra Mors has. Stormcrowfleet and Lead and Aethyr is where it's at for me with the mighty Skepticism.

My collection

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:09 am 

the_raytownian wrote:
shouvince wrote:
I never thought I'd find bats adorable.

But aren't they, though?!

I literally went all like "Ohh-ho-ho-hooooo! :'D" at the bats with bottles in their mouths.
They're like tiny chihuahua-bears. @_@

AM NAM NAM NAM!

Hahaha @ the pic. I never really observed them closely for me to be able to deem them as "adorable". Those jet black eyes man! :love:

Xlxlx, I haven't seen red-haired (yikes) bats.

Bats would be pretty cool pets, IF you can train them I guess.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:09 am 

Of course not, Antithesis is monumental. I'm referring to Caress of the Void. Now, they never put out a bad album per se, but I feel that one isn't exactly necessary and doesn’t really do anything new/extremely well. As for Skepticism, fuck yeah Stormcrowfleet. That album is a torrent of emotion.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:39 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
lord_ghengis wrote:

Eh, I think they do what they do damn well. It's not very original, but they know exactly what they want to do and make damn sure to do it right. I can see why they might not do it for you, though, it's fairly repetitive stuff. But they're definitely talented, and if they can manage to break their particular mould and take a step into more original songwriting territory I wouldn't be surprised to hear a minor masterpiece of sorts.

I was going to ask what the top 2012 albums you mentioned were, but then I remembered one of them was Monolithe III. Yeah...that didn't go over that well for me. Couldn't sit more than halfway through it, and I genuinely enjoyed the first and second chapters a fair deal. I think I actually gave it a longer chance than I would've based on your rating, but... eh. Definitely respect their striking out into fresh territory, but it just felt tedious to me. The riffwork/composition didn't grab me at all. Too busy/diverse to be meditative, not dynamic enough to be evocative. It just kind of floats in this middling territory where instruments are being played.

Well yeah, that's kinda what I loved about it. It isn't meditative, it isn't evocative, it's just RIFF RIFF RIFF lead melody hook RIFF RIFF, and it's something that I've never seen a doom band do in that sort of fashion. All the bands trying to be meditative these days are a big turn off for me, thus the Profetus hate, so many bands going Brrrrrrrrrrrrr *sadguy keyboard melody* Grrrrrrrrrrrr *fade out into minimalist section*, I've had enough of it and it can fuck off. Lots of bands have already done it perfectly, so now I'm more excited for the more guitar driven, the more mobile, and the generally less atmospheric... I'm becoming the thrasher of funeral doom haha.

I would also agree Atra Mors is down there as around Evoken's weakest, it may very well be my pick for weakest, simply due to how it doesn't feel like a totally Evoken album to me, it has so much lead guitar melody I keep getting reminded of Mournful Congregation, and while they're really good at it, and the album is still excellent, I miss that undeniable "Evoken" quality. Still an excellent album though, I'd give it high 80s.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:46 am 

CorpseFister wrote:

It's easy to get the two mixed up, you know with "C" being right next to "B".

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:05 am 

"Satan laughing spreads his wings, OH LORD YEAH!!!" Ha, I love it. Makes me smile everytime.

For something completely unrelated, does anyone else like the German band Corvus Corax? I'm just listening to one of their albums now and it's damn cool stuff.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:49 am 

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:48 am 

Though Stream from the Heavens pretty much set the standards, Mournful Congregation and Ahab are probably my favourite funeral doom bands right now. They've got their very own distinct style which separates them from the heap of identical bands in the subgenre. Esoteric are brilliant as well. Then you've got bands like Shape of Despair, Evoken, Skepticism and Longing For Dawn which are pretty similar.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:10 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Never understood why people like Catacombs. It's alright, I guess, but definitely not worth any hype. When it comes to Lovecraftian funeral doom, Tyranny is...er...streets...beyonndd.

I must disagree with you, Deep One. Catacombs is great (although I must admit, I'm not much of a funeral doom aficionado). Listening to them makes me feel like I'm walking through the streets of fuckin' R'lyeh.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:26 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Hmmm different take on things... second weakest though seems a little harsh, considering how good it is, and how awesome my taste is. What's their first weakest in your opinion? Surely not Antithesis Of Light? As for Alloy, I also believe it to be a great album, but doesn't have the same sort of... hateful abandon, and willful destruction that Atra Mors has. Stormcrowfleet and Lead and Aethyr is where it's at for me with the mighty Skepticism.

^This. And that.^ And also that.^ .....additionally, that last bit^.

Yes, I rate Evoken very highly. I've been playing the shit out of them recently and the only reason I didn't mention them before was because they aren't "pure" funeral doom. But when it comes to the general doom spectrum they are near the top of my list. Very strong catalogue overall, and Atra Mors is only one notch away from the top of that catalogue. I can see where ghengis is coming from with the Mournful Congregation mentions, but I think with this latest album they did a superb job of incorporating a fresh palette of emotions into their signature sound and enriching the entire musical picture as a result. No point in rewriting what they've already arguably rewritten a few times now. Which is why I respect Monolithe for pushing in new directions with their own latest offering, except the riffs on that album bored me stiff while Atra Mors astounded me with its grandiosity and beauty.

Listened to Alloy for the first time recently and it didn't really grab me at all. Should give it another fair go, however. Lead and Aether would be almost on par with Stormcrowfleet if they'd just left off the first track entirely.

@Xlxlx: Having visited R'lyeh myself (spring of '99, first DNA molting ceremony), I can assure you that Catacombs falls short of the real experience. But as funeral doom goes, it's not entirely terrible.

In closing, The Call of the Wretched Sea is probably one of the best doom albums to have been written. There's just so much that works so well about it. Definitely a classic.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:54 am 

All great bands and albums listed but no love for Warning? I guess they're more doom than funeraldoom and definitely more accessible compared to the others. Personally speaking though, as I've mentioned during the Abyssal discussion, I prefer more instrumentation over the layer of BRRRRRRRRR/atmospheric dynamics. Big fan of diSEMBOWELMENT in that sense.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:59 am 

Warning is funeral doom now? Like Caspian would say it's "mum doom" and no, they don't deserve any love, Walker should cry his life everyday, it's basically emo doom.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:10 am 

Haha 'mum doom'? Yeah they're pretty mellow and there's a lot of "crying". Like I said 'more doom than...' coz at first I thought this was a general doom discussion but then realized it was more funeraldoom-centric...hence my statement. They're still a good band though.

doomster999

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:11 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Warning is funeral doom now? Like Caspian would say it's "mum doom" and no, they don't deserve any love, Walker should cry his life everyday, it's basically emo doom.

Yea, Tony, we all know how much you love Warning. Anyway, labelling them as 'emo doom' is just too much in this season of love. Save it for later. :-P Neither Warning nor diSEMBOWELMENT are funeral doom, diSEMBOWELMENT was more like a fuzzy death metal band with slow passages. I don't even consider them death/doom. I really like Transcendence... though just don't consider them doomy enough, much like Asphyx.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:25 am 

doomster999 wrote:
Neither Warning nor diSEMBOWELMENT are funeral doom

I didn't make any of those explicit statements. I was merely talking of musical preferences :thumbsup:

In other news, I want one of these - Norwegian Mini-Military Drone! Couldn't believe it was so tiny.

doomster999

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:55 am 

shouvince wrote:
I didn't make any of those explicit statements. I was merely talking of musical preferences :thumbsup:

Ahah..got it! :beer: BTW, I would say Pallbearer has got a sense of funeral doom in their sound. Err..I think it's better to avoid from past experiences. *hides in the closet* :oh shit:

Last.fm

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:28 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
@Xlxlx: Having visited R'lyeh myself (spring of '99, first DNA molting ceremony), I can assure you that Catacombs falls short of the real experience. But as funeral doom goes, it's not entirely terrible.

Yeah, but the problem is that a homo sapiens such as myself myself can't visit the Dead City without having his feeble mind shattered, so Catacombs is the closest I can get to the real thing :(
Under_Starmere wrote:
In closing, The Call of the Wretched Sea is probably one of the best doom albums to have been written. There's just so much that works so well about it. Definitely a classic.

I don't know if I'd call it a classic or one of the best doom albums ever, but it's certainly a great listen. The Divinity of Oceans is also quite good considering what I heard, but it's not nearly as suffocating or enveloping as its predecessor.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:39 pm 

Mother fucking Planet AIDS you noobs.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:40 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:

:lol:

I believe it was Jonpo that made a good point as far as the feeling of Catacombs/Thergothon goes: Catacombs makes one feel as though they're deep within R'lyeh, and being haunted/tormented by the Elder Ones, whereas Thergothon makes you feel as though you are an Elder One, roaming around, thinking, and merely existing. Or something like that.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:29 pm 

Interesting quandary I'd like to posit to y'all: A friend of mine is vegetarian, and has been for roughly eight years now. She made the choice for moral reasons, not dietary. Recently, she's beginning to suspect she's developed a gluten allergy, since she's been experiencing some brutal stomach pain/diarrhea nearly every day for a few weeks now, and it's almost always directly after a meal. The common link between everything seems to be gluten. She hasn't visited a doctor yet (insurance problems, but that's another rant), but if it turns out that this is the case, that essentially cuts her diet down to... well nothing. Pasta and noodles and such are the main source of her nutrition for like, five or six days out of the week, and since she mainly subsists off a school meal plan and special groceries are too expensive for a broke college kid, this poses quite an issue if this does turn out to be a gluten allergy. I personally think it's odd to not notice such an issue until you're well into your 20s, but apparently you can develop it later in life so for now I'll roll with it.

So this brings me to the crux of the post, if there are no long term negatives and only short term problems like gas/stomach pain, would you tough it out and stick with your vegetarian diet? Or would you sacrifice your long held moral beliefs for the sake of comfort/health?

Personally, I think health > pretty much anything, but then again I'm not a vegetarian or somebody who has any strong belief that affects my health either way, so I can't really put myself in such a mindset.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:51 pm 

BOLT THROWER ANNOUNCES US DATES IN MAY. Aplogies for double posting this, not sure how many people check the "Tours & Gigs" sub-forum

godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:05 pm 

Quote:
So this brings me to the crux of the post, if there are no long term negatives and only short term problems like gas/stomach pain, would you tough it out and stick with your vegetarian diet? Or would you sacrifice your long held moral beliefs for the sake of comfort/health?

The number of gluten free products on the market now is pretty amazing, so if she wanted to stay gluten free, honestly there's no reason to believe she wouldn't be able to replace those items that she generally eats with items lacking in gluten.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:25 pm 

Finance is another big issue with the whole thing, and even if that ends up not being a problem, she's really worried about the social implications. Like this could really cut down on social dinners and such. The more we talk, the more dead-set she seems on remaining vegetarian.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 803, 804, 805, 806, 807, 808, 809 ... 827  Next