primitivevoid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:44 pm 

yeah i have an album by eye of solitude and it is pretty killer

Dark_Insanity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:53 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
How about some melodic death/doom like Paradise Lost's Icon, Tiamat's Clouds, or Rapture? The more melodic the better, clean vocals or growls, it doesn't matter.

Try out Daylight Dies, Saturnus and Officium Triste dude, but especially Daylight Dies.

iAmDisturbed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:11 am 

...SATURNUS!
"Veronika Decides To Die"! Awesome record!

Dark_Insanity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:26 pm 

iAmDisturbed wrote:
...SATURNUS!
"Veronika Decides To Die"! Awesome record!

Have you heard their new album yet "Saturn in Ascension"? Bloody brilliant album. Great band they are.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:32 pm 

Reposted from FFA:

Ceremonium's Into the Autumn Shade is a wonderful piece of death/doom that I'd expect not many here might have been exposed to yet. Definitely for fans of gloomy, slow DM such as diSEMBOWELMENT, Winter, early Cianide, Gorement... Lots of meaty DM goodness but tempered with a healthy dose of subtlety in the melodic/harmonic choices that give the whole affair a more complex emotional palette. Good stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh3Qr1gM7W0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og1TkNEbW2s

Anyone have any other bands along these lines to throw at me? I love that combination of brutal gloom with more thoughtful, elegant touches.

ketreeh
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:33 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Reposted from FFA:

Ceremonium's Into the Autumn Shade is a wonderful piece of death/doom that I'd expect not many here might have been exposed to yet. Definitely for fans of gloomy, slow DM such as diSEMBOWELMENT, Winter, early Cianide, Gorement... Lots of meaty DM goodness but tempered with a healthy dose of subtlety in the melodic/harmonic choices that give the whole affair a more complex emotional palette. Good stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh3Qr1gM7W0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og1TkNEbW2s

Anyone have any other bands along these lines to throw at me? I love that combination of brutal gloom with more thoughtful, elegant touches.

this ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkc_zLePnwQ
this ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMYls4t6hy0
or this ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QlJ28JPZi0

satiros
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:05 pm 

What's something that sounds like a mix between Skepticism's Stormcrowfleet and Winter's Into Darkness?

So in my mind a mix of something Funeral Doom-y that's melodic and (relatively) fast enough to be exciting and something Death Metal-y that's slow/spacious and pounding enough to be dramatic.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:40 pm 

satiros wrote:
What's something that sounds like a mix between Skepticism's Stormcrowfleet and Winter's Into Darkness?

So in my mind a mix of something Funeral Doom-y that's melodic and (relatively) fast enough to be exciting and something Death Metal-y that's slow/spacious and pounding enough to be dramatic.

This?

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:55 pm 

satiros wrote:

Maybe these guys as well?
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:26 pm 

satiros wrote:

Trying Mourning Beloveth. They will probably fit that bill.

Chalice_Lurker
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:19 pm 

Hello Metal Archives forum-goers. I'm looking for some Black / Doom bands along the lines of The Ruins of Beverast's "Rain Upon The Impure" and Elysian Blaze's "Blood Geometry". Any help would be great.

ketreeh
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:44 pm 

satiros wrote:

Doom:vs ?
Katatonia - Dance of December Souls ?
Funeral - From These Wounds ?

Chalice_Lurker wrote:
Hello Metal Archives forum-goers. I'm looking for some Black / Doom bands along the lines of The Ruins of Beverast's "Rain Upon The Impure" and Elysian Blaze's "Blood Geometry". Any help would be great.

St Barthelemy's Temple - The Sheol Unfold
maybe it not sounds like trob, but it's surely doom/black

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:58 pm 

You dudes should check out Enth. Heavy jams.
http://enth.bandcamp.com/album/split-lp-with-amarok
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:45 pm 

I would like to hear bands that combine doom/death riffs with clean vocals. I'm thinking of music like To Mourn is a Virtue by Funeral, and Silent Ruins by Isole. I would prefer there be no harsh vocals whatsoever. It doesn't matter whether the vocals are male or female, just as long as they are clean. (Also, once again, I am already very familiar with My Dying Bride)

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:06 pm 

TheUnhinged wrote:
I would like to hear bands that combine doom/death riffs with clean vocals. I'm thinking of music like To Mourn is a Virtue by Funeral, and Silent Ruins by Isole. I would prefer there be no harsh vocals whatsoever. It doesn't matter whether the vocals are male or female, just as long as they are clean. (Also, once again, I am already very familiar with My Dying Bride)

Sounds like you want Murkrat. Exclusively clean vocals, mountainous death/doom-y riffs, and lots of atmosphere. You might also like her other project, The Slow Death, but they do have a harsh vocalist who pops in every so often.

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:31 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Sounds like you want Murkrat. Exclusively clean vocals, mountainous death/doom-y riffs, and lots of atmosphere. You might also like her other project, The Slow Death, but they do have a harsh vocalist who pops in every so often.

Sure enough, I'm already a huge fan of both projects! Good thinking though.

In that case, let me point out that I also like Omit, Skumring, and Fallen. Those would be another three good examples of what I'm looking for.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:04 am 

Any funeral doom out there like Funeral's Tragedies? The soothing female vocals and acoustic guitars are fantastic, as are the electric riffs. Harsh vocals are okay, although I'd prefer some cleans in there as well. I already know Skumring, 3rd and the Mortal, etc. Nothing too obvious please.

Xithyl
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:47 am 

I'd love some recommendations for bands/albums in the vein of Paradise Lost's Gothic. This is fantastic.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:56 am 

Jophelerx wrote:
Any funeral doom out there like Funeral's Tragedies? The soothing female vocals and acoustic guitars are fantastic, as are the electric riffs. Harsh vocals are okay, although I'd prefer some cleans in there as well. I already know Skumring, 3rd and the Mortal, etc. Nothing too obvious please.

Have you heard fellow Norwegians Black Lodge? They were contemporaries of both Funeral and T3atM, their only album "Covet" was a bit of a mixed bag, featuring songs that could have been lifted directly from "Tragedies", along with others that had a harder, almost hardcore/industrial sound to them. Give it try.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFBxcIZ1q7w

Not many YT samples to choose from unfortunately. See if you can find another track called "Dissonance".

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:19 pm 

balbulus wrote:
Jophelerx wrote:

Have you heard fellow Norwegians Black Lodge? They were contemporaries of both Funeral and T3atM, their only album "Covet" was a bit of a mixed bag, featuring songs that could have been lifted directly from "Tragedies", along with others that had a harder, almost hardcore/industrial sound to them. Give it try.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFBxcIZ1q7w

Not many YT samples to choose from unfortunately. See if you can find another track called "Dissonance".

Is Shroud of Bereavement too obvious? I think that would suit your tastes. They employ both male and female vocals - both harsh and clean and some spoken word as well. There are some symphonic elements as well. I've got their 'Alone Beside Her' album and I think it's brilliant.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:29 pm 

Xithyl wrote:
I'd love some recommendations for bands/albums in the vein of Paradise Lost's Gothic. This is fantastic.

Katatonia - Dance of December Souls

To me it doesn't sound too similiar however the Katatonia guys stated they wanted to write this sort of music once they had heard that Paradise Lost album. The leads sound pretty similiar at times but the overal style is a bit different. I think you should check it out anyway and see if you like it.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:31 pm 

TheUnhinged wrote:

Try Wardenclyffe.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:18 pm 

That Black Lodge song is pretty excellent, I'll have to snag that album. Thanks a lot for the rec. Shroud of Bereavement, though, seems a bit too saccharine for my tastes.

ShadezofBlack69
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:11 am 

I have a question, what is the difference between funeral doom and regular doom? I hear funeral doom has more high clean singing while regular doom has more growls and deeper sounding guitar. Is this correct?

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:59 am 

ShadezofBlack69 wrote:
I have a question, what is the difference between funeral doom and regular doom? I hear funeral doom has more high clean singing while regular doom has more growls and deeper sounding guitar. Is this correct?

Funeral doom is closer to drone without actually being drone. It's exceedingly slower than regular doom and has a lot more repetition, like a metal rendition of a funerary dirge.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:24 am 

Funeral doom is all about the atmosphere. It aims to be cold, heart/gut-wrenching and evil...very funeral-esque. Musically, it's slow-tempo, guitars are heavier and vocals can range from harsh to guttural-raspy-ness. It depends from artist to artist but they fall within the ambit of the above. More or less.

"Regular" doom is more riff-oriented and the guitar does lead the way for the rest of the instruments and vocals. Depending on the sub-genre of doom, the tempo can range from slow to mid-tempo. Vocals can vary too.

KC
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:14 am 

Dark_Insanity wrote:
Jophelerx wrote:
How about some melodic death/doom like Paradise Lost's Icon, Tiamat's Clouds, or Rapture? The more melodic the better, clean vocals or growls, it doesn't matter.

Try out Daylight Dies, Saturnus and Officium Triste dude, but especially Daylight Dies.

Good reccos by Dark Insanity. Also check out this underrated band Majestic Downfall from Mexico. I reviewed its first material on split with Ansia -
http://www.diabolicalconquest.com/Webzi ... ha=A&R=591

Here's one of its songs -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqchfIc6yKI

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:46 am 

Where should I start with Runemagick? They have an enormous discography.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:57 am 

dystopia4 wrote:
Where should I start with Runemagick? They have an enormous discography.

:D

First three are more OSDM, and from then on it's their death/doom phase. The Supreme Force of Eternity for the first era and Darkness Death Doom for the second should be good starting places.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:09 pm 

ShadezofBlack69 wrote:

You heard backwards. Here are completely "brick-in-a-trashcan" examples. Nothing oblique or even particularly esoteric. Straight up. Funeral doom is dirge-like, and the more "traditional" is basically slow heavy metal originally based on Black Sabbath's style (but that isn't requisite).

Funeral doom: Mournful Congregation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQsOPDdm-8k

"regular" doom: Candlemass
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWNS_cBNpeY

though a more Ozzy-based PURE doom example would be Pagan Altar.

Also, the advanced search function here is totally your friend. :) Possibly my favorite aspect of the site .. apart from Tony's hair.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:29 pm 

ShadezofBlack69 wrote:

There's no clean vocals in funeral doom and lol "regular doom". You think regular doom is actually doom/death while it could actually be seen as traditional doom (Black Sabbath influenced metal). Funeral doom is slowed doom/death with ambient, drone and even some black metal in some bands.

LOL, Grave Wyrm, I sure do like my hair!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:44 am 

Metantoine wrote:
ShadezofBlack69 wrote:

There's no clean vocals in funeral doom and lol "regular doom". You think regular doom is actually doom/death while it could actually be seen as traditional doom (Black Sabbath influenced metal). Funeral doom is slowed doom/death with ambient, drone and even some black metal in some bands.

LOL, Grave Wyrm, I sure do like my hair!

Actually, there's no such golden rule about clean vocals in funeral doom. Ahab's newest output featured clean vocals and there are chant like passages in a few Mournful Congregation songs. But majority of funeral doom bands don't incorporate clean vocals.

And lol "regular doom" [2]

What you're referring to as "regular doom" can be varied. Traditional doom is basically derived from Sabbath's earlier albums specially the first album. While stoner/doom is derived from Master of Reality. Sludge/doom maintains the thick heavy sound of trad doom and infuse a bit raw muddy tone of hardcore punk and the tempo can be a bit upbeat at times. Then you've got death/doom which basically maintains the ethos of trad doom like clean plaintive vocals but balanced with death growls and relatively faster tempos at times. Now there are bands which are labelled as death/doom but actually play slowed down death metal like Asphyx, Incantation, Runemagick etc.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:22 pm 

I really like Mournful Congregation.

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:35 pm 

doomster999 wrote:
Metantoine wrote:
There's no clean vocals in funeral doom

Actually, there's no such golden rule about clean vocals in funeral doom. Ahab's newest output featured clean vocals and there are chant like passages in a few Mournful Congregation songs. But majority of funeral doom bands don't incorporate clean vocals.

The funeral doom bands I enjoy the most have clean singing, haha! Bands like Funeral, Pantheist, and Remembrance have combined the typical harsh vocals with BEAUTIFUL clean vocals. Then, there are albums like Fallen's 'A Tragedy's Bitter End' and Murkrat's 'Drudging the Mire' which have clean lead singing! Hell, even Thergothon used some clean chants on a few of their songs. :P

Last edited by TheUnhinged on Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:04 am 

TheUnhinged wrote:
The funeral doom bands I enjoy the most have clean singing, haha! Bands like Funeral, Pantheist, and Remembrance has combined the typical harsh vocals with BEAUTIFUL clean vocals. Then, there are albums like Fallen's 'A Tragedy's Bitter End' and Murkrat's 'Drudging the Mire' which have clean lead singing! Hell, even Thergothon used some clean chants on a few of their songs. :P

I haven't heard Funeral and Remembrance due to poor reactions by neutral listeners. I think it's time to give 'em a listen myself. Pantheist are one of my favourite bands but they were never typically funeral doom. They're quite diverse with influences ranging from King Crimson to Bauhaus to Skepticism.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:44 am 

I actually got into the later Funeral records where they transformed into a weepy more gothic-influenced doom band. It's pretty much meh after you listen to it a couple of times. I then checked out their older stuff from their much lauded album 'Tragedies' but I didn't think much of it. It passes for decent funeral doom (more death/doom) but obviously when there are bands like Skepticism, it pales in comparison to that.

FredWHicks
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:49 pm 

I am looking for something similar to Decomposed's "Hope Finally Died...". That is, an old school death metal sound, but mostly slower parts, with acoustic parts throughout. Any recs?

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:48 am 

Anyone know any funeral doom with "harsh" female vocals?

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:35 pm 

FredWHicks wrote:
I am looking for something similar to Decomposed's "Hope Finally Died...". That is, an old school death metal sound, but mostly slower parts, with acoustic parts throughout. Any recs?

Ceremonium might suit you, assuming you haven't already heard them. I can't recall if they have much acoustic stuff but they definitely bridge the gap between old school death and doom/death.

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:30 pm 

I also want to add that the new Officium Triste is great. It's probably the best doom/death album this year so far.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 28  Next