Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:41 pm 

Fuck you Frank Mullen! You made me do the jazz hands while listening to the new Rotting Christ album!

:oh shit:

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:04 pm 

^ Checking that out tomorrow, it will be sure to wipe the awful memory of the new Lighthrone from my mind.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:14 pm 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:
The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
The problem is they don't kill themselves by subscribing to that stupid theory. They kill their children.

There are two people who I feel most deserve a solid kick in the teeth for spreading this drivel. One is Jenny McCarthy, former Playboy playmate and terrible actress, current loudmouthed moron, who peddles the vaccine thing because she thinks it gave her son autism (after she briefly claimed that he was a psychic). The other is Oprah, who has given McCarthy (and a heap of other quacks and cranks) a podium from which to spew her dangerous beliefs into the minds of soccer moms the world over.

I. FUCKING. HATE. JENNY. MCCARTHY. I only wish the worst for her. No human that fucking stupid should be allowed to talk.

I am 100% with you. Jenny McCarthy is one of those people that if she were to die some kind of horribly violent death, I'd laugh. I've got two brothers with deep, deep autism and people intentionally misrepresenting the disorder and/or its causes is one of the only things that really gets me blood boilingly mad. I had mentioned in the disabilities thread that I have Aspergers Syndrome, and although it's greatly subsided in recent years it's still there in various personality quirks of mine, so I have first hand experience beyond just my brothers with autism spectrum disorder.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:35 pm 

Veracs wrote:
^ Checking that out tomorrow, it will be sure to wipe the awful memory of the new Lighthrone from my mind.

Looks like you're still not done with the bashing. Tsk tsk :)

'Kata Ton Daimona...' is sounding really good so far.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:57 pm 

For anyone into reading physical metal-magazines, I hereby recommend Iron Fist magazine - It's a newcomer, and I assumed it would be quite mainstream-friendly and uninteresting, but I picked up a copy earlier and I'm quite impressed, it's unapologetically old-school to the core.

Edit: Oooh, it's got an article about Metal Archives in it...

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:22 pm 

ACCEPT ACCEPTED FOR BLOODSTOCK 2013

shut it down.

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:29 pm 

Ok, I recently acquired some classy ass albums that have all proved to be most excellent late night burners. Peter Green's In the Skies is bliss - mellow, minor key blues with a twist of Santana and some Floydian tendencies. Deltron 3030 is so fucking epic it is unreal; I can't believe I had not listened to this sooner. And Moon Beams by the Bill Evans trio plus some live Jim Hall stuff? Nothing but fucking class, ladies and gentlemen.

I suppose I only post this as a tip of the cap to all the good times many of us experience digging at music stores and upon listening to our selections find that every gotsdamn thing we bought that day was well worth the capital.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:39 pm 

ThrashingMad wrote:

shut it down.

I accept that Accept has been accepted.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:00 pm 

Ancient_Sorrow wrote:
For anyone into reading physical metal-magazines, I hereby recommend Iron Fist magazine - It's a newcomer, and I assumed it would be quite mainstream-friendly and uninteresting, but I picked up a copy earlier and I'm quite impressed, it's unapologetically old-school to the core.

What does it say about MA in it? you should scan the article!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:06 pm 

Subrick wrote:
ThrashingMad wrote:

shut it down.

I accept that Accept has been accepted.

That's acceptable.

Metantoine wrote:
Ancient_Sorrow wrote:

Yes, please!
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:35 pm 

Quote:

I've not got a scanner just now, but I'll summarise;

It's basically about Metal Archives by extension - the magazine has a page at the end dedicated to "the unsung heroes" of the metal community, and this issue has it dedicated to Morrigan and Hellblazer. It's a moderately in-depth look at the site as a resource, with something of a "where would we be without it" sentiment throughout, and some quotes from Morrigan about the sites upkeep and beginnings, and a few lists of some of the most consistently highly-rated albums on the site. A good read, all in all.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:42 pm 

Veracs wrote:

Browse the NWN forums lately? :lol:

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:58 pm 

I hate insurance companies. Just thought I'd share. And in completely unrelated and awesome news I give you this http://gawker.com/5984348/two-minutes-o ... ike-humans. It's hysterical, just give it a listen.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:59 pm 

Ancient_Sorrow wrote:
Quote:

I've not got a scanner just now, but I'll summarise;

It's basically about Metal Archives by extension - the magazine has a page at the end dedicated to "the unsung heroes" of the metal community, and this issue has it dedicated to Morrigan and Hellblazer. It's a moderately in-depth look at the site as a resource, with something of a "where would we be without it" sentiment throughout, and some quotes from Morrigan about the sites upkeep and beginnings, and a few lists of some of the most consistently highly-rated albums on the site. A good read, all in all.

Well, you could always take a photo (without the flash) and link it here.

But from what you wrote...good stuff :thumbsup:

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:02 pm 

With the level that any cameras I have are at, I could take a picture of any magazine article and they'd be indiscernible. ;)

I'll see about scanning it when I'm at campus on Monday, if I remember.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:51 am 

^ Yes. Thou shalt not forget.

This saturday seems sloooow so far. Apart from the GoT trailer, there's nothing as exciting online. Has anyone seen those Necrosexual skits and interviews? :nono:

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:01 pm 

Wow. Can we all agree that OK Computer is a flawless album?

Also, just re-listened to Spite Extreme Wing's Vltra and WHAT THE WHAT. How is this album so goddamn good? How is this band so good and have almost no support or listens or reviews....I will change all of that tonight methinks. TIME FOR MORE PURPLE PROSE/PERSONAL O-PINIONS FROM PHROG.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:06 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:

I have seen that album being compared to The Dark Side of the Moon. Is that justified in any way?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:09 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
PhilosophicalFrog wrote:

I have seen that album being compared to The Dark Side of the Moon. Is that justified in any way?

In how overrated both albums are, they are comparable. OK Computer is total sewage though whereas Dark Side has some great songs like Breathe and Time.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:26 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:

Nope, sorry. :(

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:27 pm 

Dark Side..... Overrated..... Overrated.....

DOES. NOT. COMPUTE.

Though I do prefer Animals.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:32 pm 

I really like Muse, specially their first three albums. But Radiohead turns me off big time. It's just their compositions are so bland and uninspired, sometimes I wonder what's behind all the acclaim for such a mediocre band who are neither remotely experimental nor progressive.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:40 pm 

You guys are all the gayest people ever. Radiohead rules so hard - so heavy and crushing and demanding. Also, NOT PROGRESSIVE ARE YOU HIGH? Radiohead took the entirety of the post-punk/grunge/slowdive scene and seemlessly merged it back with the glam-rock/arena sounds of the decades earlier, taking concepts and high-minded lyricism with them. Gah! Yorke's vocal delivery, the seamless blend of heavy-fuzzed tinged guitars and bass to acoustic renderings, the forward leaning use of synths and droning rhythmic modes. SO MUCH GOING ON. They more or less forced the genre in on itself, creating an entirely new headspace - one that embraced the apathetic approach of the genre, but never let go of the full-fronted philosophical assault that it presented. In a way, Radiohead might have been the only other of these "grunge" bands to have been self-aware of the movement's notions besides Nirvana.

Also, it is literally impossible to call either of those albums overrated. DSotM influenced every single band that came after it, and OK Computer did the same. Two say that either band is overrated is to completely ignore the definition of the word, the semiotics of its approach and the historical significance of either band. You don't have to like them, but calling either album overrated is factually incorrect.

That's like people who say the Beatles are overrated. Yeah, they may have not been the first to do everything that their fans attribute to them, but they were certainly the biggest and most influential out of any other band in the history of the world save maybe the dude who invented the fucking drum or something.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:47 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
You guys are all the gayest people ever

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
Radiohead rules so hard

:lol:

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:48 pm 

Man, I love Radiohead, but stop calling them grunge :( Bland and uninspired? :(

Calling Radiohead overrated is like calling Celtic Frost overrated, Radiohead is the most important alternative rock band of the 90s, there's no way around that. I wasn't aware it was so trendy to hate them, you guys are so kvlt and trve!

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:49 pm 

They're popular, therefore they suck. It's a time tested trope that rarely fails to disappoint.

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:51 pm 

You'd think by now people would stop assuming others are trying to be 'kvlt' for not liking a shitty band.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:55 pm 

I don't hate Radiohead. They just don't seem to grow on me at all. I've tried to listen over and over again but alas! :(

And PROGRESSIVE? It doesn't get any more than this.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:57 pm 

Oh, fuck clouds. I'm gonna listen to OK Computer. It's not like listening to new music will kill me or anything. I'll get back to ya guys later.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:59 pm 

You'd think by now people would realize I'm often sarcastic.

xlxlx, new music? ;) Noob!

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:03 pm 

Eh, I don't get this Radiohead hate. I haven't listened to many of their songs apart from the obviously popular ones but they seem like a band doing well within the confines of their own genre. Not path-breaking music but they're still good.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:07 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
xlxlx, new music? ;) Noob!

:-P :-P :-P

Going through Paranoid Android right now. This is nice. All floaty and relaxing but..... I don't know. It doesn't strike any chord with me so far. It does seem like something that requires quite a few listens before even trying to give a fair opinion on it, and I'm just starting, so..... Yeah.

Also, Tony, I checked out the newest Realmbuilder. The instrumentation and songwriting is pretty good, but the vocals are completely fucking awful. They almost eclipse the music for me.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:09 pm 

OK Computer is a really good album. I don't listen to Radiohead much these days, but they had a few records I can still put on and greatly enjoy. Kid A and especially In Rainbows are great albums.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:14 pm 

@xxxxxl, I didn't like the vocals at first, I kinda forced myself to like them and I do right now. I said that they need a great singer in my review though. Damnit, the song I wanted to link is not on youtube, it's Iron Wheels of the Siege Machines, there's some catchy vocal lines in this one.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:17 pm 

Yeah, I remember you saying that they needed better vocals. I just didn't realize how seriously they needed them. I'll keep listening, but won't hold my breath. This guy's voice isn't even weird or interesting like most other singers who usually take time to grow on you. He just sounds..... Bored. But I'll give him another chance.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:19 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
Also, it is literally impossible to call either of those albums overrated. DSotM influenced every single band that came after it, and OK Computer did the same. Two say that either band is overrated is to completely ignore the definition of the word, the semiotics of its approach and the historical significance of either band. You don't have to like them, but calling either album overrated is factually incorrect.

I need not take into account how influental it is. Claiming something is overrated is an assessment of its quality compared to one's personal standards, making its influence on others - which is essentially a combination of being well-liked and groundbreaking enough to inspire others - completely inconsequential, that being merely dictated by how others besides me like the album in question. I think it's quite clear; if I consider something overrated, it means I don't understand why some consider it to be that excellent.

It certainly influenced many, but to claim it influenced every single band after it? Hyperbolic nonsense.

I love how merely not considering something as excellent as most is immediately seen as hating (truth be told, I do very much dislike much of Radiohead), and that disliking (hating) something popular is always just for kvlt points. I just don't like it, alright? I think it's fucking annoying, and I don't understand why people think it's so incredible.

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:29 pm 

Well, I'm an old fart so to say and with my passion for cheesy 80s pop-rock millions of miles away from being kvlt and trve
but I join the ranks of "Radiohead-not-likers" (just boring to me) and even more the "Man-I-hate-The-Betales-fraction" :D
Yepp, I know The Beatles were possibly influential in many ways to whomever but, boy, is their music boring, stupid and
just a plain terror for my ears. I never ever got what anyone could like in their music? This hate probably comes from my
mum who comes from a time where you had to choose either The Beatles or The Rolling Stones, haha (guess whom she
choose?) ;)

No offense here btw - I just wanted to use the chance to yell out my hate for The Beatles and by that pull some more
oil into the fires here ;) :D

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:34 pm 

Man, I'll totally join your "'Man-I-Hate-The-Betales-fraction"! It's almost time for a poll!

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:37 pm 

Almost just got hit by a car again. I'm walking the dog on the side of the street since the sidewalks still aren't usable yet, and this asshole comes blazing down the road in the center of the lane at at least 50 MPH. He then swerves slightly inward towards me only a few feet away from me and the dog.

I hope he crashes.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:39 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Almost just got hit by a car again. I'm walking the dog on the side of the street since the sidewalks still aren't usable yet, and this asshole comes blazing down the road in the center of the lane at at least 50 MPH. He then swerves slightly inward towards me only a few feet away from me and the dog.

I hope he crashes.

Happens all the time to me. People here drive like retards.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 817, 818, 819, 820, 821, 822, 823 ... 827  Next