Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:50 pm 

Now boys, opinions are like buttholes: everyone has one and nobody cares to know what anyone else's smells like

~Guest 298739
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:14 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Yeah, RiB is one of the worst metal albums of all time, totally not influential and it's also not a classic.

Nhor, yeah, you're a very poor poster with an extremely shitty attitude.

You call me a poor poster yet you put words in my mouth and then call me shitty? :scratch:

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:47 pm 

If this ends up becoming a bitch fight, I'll pour some chlorine into this particular gene pool.

Behave, orifices.

HydroDrone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:39 pm 

I'm quite partial to Show No Mercy. I think Araya's vocals are pretty awesome and i quite like the production. My main problem with latter day slayer and i think this applies to metallica as well is the guitar sound for both of these bands used to be sharp as FUCK. But somewhere along the line , it's like they just stopped caring about the way things should sound.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:45 pm 

They both got Greg Fidelman. That man is to production sound what testicular cancer is to a nutsack.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:50 pm 

Show No Mercy: Best Thrash Metal album of ALL TIME. Hell Awaits I liked a lot less but it was pretty cool. Haunting the Chapel was very, very outstanding except for Aggessive Perfector(if included there), a track I never liked. I enjoyed RiB. South and Seasons were quite good. I consider myself among the throes who pretend Slayer disbanded after 1990.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:35 am 

http://blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode= ... mID=186647 Tom's obviously not being allowed to say anything regarding Dave but I find his general carefree attitude rather insulting considering the circumstances. When he talks about Jeff he is completely stoned cold but when it's concerning Dave he just laughs about it like it's a joke.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:14 am 

Nhor wrote:
Riffs wrote:
Reign In Blood, one of the best metal albums of all time.

You must be extremely new to say that with any sincerity.

Extremely new to what?

Nice location, BTW. You should think about moving to Bullshit.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:05 am 

John Dette apparently nailed the Slayer set in his first show today.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:14 am 

Terri23 wrote:
John Dette apparently nailed the Slayer set in his first show today.

He also played drums good too.

http://instantrimshot.com/

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:16 am 

And if this set list is correct then Disciple is the only post Seasons song they're playing. Usually they'll get some newer material out of the way in the first 5 or 6 songs and then delve into the '80s, but this is pretty much no bullshit: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/slayer/20 ... b23fd.html

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:26 am 

Altar of Sacrifice and Jesus Saves?

A most definite "yes" from me.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:52 am 

Razakel wrote:
And if this set list is correct then Disciple is the only post Seasons song they're playing. Usually they'll get some newer material out of the way in the first 5 or 6 songs and then delve into the '80s, but this is pretty much no bullshit: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/slayer/20 ... b23fd.html

That's a fucking rad setlist.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

FJ Receptor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:30 am 

At this point Slayer is functioning on fumes and it's obvious. When certain members of bands start getting the "one man band syndrome" all things eventually unravel. Dave and Jeff are important parts of Slayer. Doesn't matter if Kerry does this and Kerry does that. Look at Roger Water's current traveling abortion of Pink Floyd and so many other examples. Once arrogance and ego get in the way of a band's cohesiveness, it drains all enthusiasm.

Also, yes the early Slayer albums were classics, but guess what their stuff after had some def highlights we all too easily brush under the carpet for some stupid reason. If you took an otherwise ignorant metal fan and hit shuffle on the ipod full of Slayer's albums would he/she really come out of the experience saying only the songs off the first four albums were any good? I think not.

Also, all this worship of SITA and Dave's performance on the album are pretty funny to me. Dave could barely get through the recording sessions according to himself in a magazine interview after he was let go from Slayer in the 90s. They had to speed up his double bass on War Ensemble with studio tricks cause he wasn't able to cut it.

Last edited by FJ Receptor on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:55 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
http://blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=186647 Tom's obviously not being allowed to say anything regarding Dave but I find his general carefree attitude rather insulting considering the circumstances. When he talks about Jeff he is completely stoned cold but when it's concerning Dave he just laughs about it like it's a joke.

I watched that half-way and then closed it. I don't know if it's insulting to be as nonchalant as that. The only defense that I think they have is that they're on damage control mode and they're trying to make the best of what they have before there are "more controversies". That girl was annoying though.

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:24 am 

I still don't understand why people care that Jeff isn't in Slayer anymore? I mean, I hope he recovers and stuff, but talk about going through the motions, he barely contributed anything to the band anymore, live or in the studio.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:33 am 

Because Jeff always wrote killer Slayer songs? Even on the new albums, my favourite songs tend to be the Hanneman Hits, as opposed to the King Krap.

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:33 pm 

many of the kerry king songs on the last 2 albums are good

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:49 pm 

MARSDUDE wrote:
Because Jeff always wrote killer Slayer songs? Even on the new albums, my favourite songs tend to be the Hanneman Hits, as opposed to the King Krap.

More like Kerry King Krap amirite? :P

But with the two recent albums, my favorite songs have been Eyes Of The Insane, Jihad, Cult, World Painted Blood, and Psychopathy Red. Hanneman wrote four of those and King wrote one. I think you can guess who I have more confidence in as a songwriter.

Mike_64
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:02 pm 

FJ Receptor wrote:
At this point Slayer is functioning on fumes and it's obvious. When certain members of bands start getting the "one man band syndrome" all things eventually unravel. Dave and Jeff are important parts of Slayer. Doesn't matter if Kerry does this and Kerry does that. Look at Roger Water's current traveling abortion of Pink Floyd and so many other examples. Once arrogance and ego get in the way of a band's cohesiveness, it drains all enthusiasm.

Also, yes the early Slayer albums were classics, but guess what their stuff after had some def highlights we all too easily brush under the carpet for some stupid reason. If you took an otherwise ignorant metal fan and hit shuffle on the ipod full of Slayer's albums would he/she really come out of the experience saying only the songs off the first four albums were any good? I think not.

Also, all this worship of SIB and Dave's performance on the album are pretty funny to me. Dave could barely get through the recording sessions according to himself in a magazine interview after he was let go from Slayer in the 90s. They had to speed up his double bass on War Ensemble with studio tricks cause he wasn't able to cut it.

I've never heard of this. Link?

Well, that's not uncommon at all. Many people go on 4chan in order to get off.

~Guest 183305
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:30 pm 

Never heard that he couldn't play it on the original recording. I saw him play it live countless time, including the tour for that album. I also saw him play it ferociously at Yankee Stadium on the big 4 tour a year or two ago. I would love to know where that one came from, or was that bit of information pulled out of someones ass?

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:32 pm 

^^^Best I can find is some tool on Blabbermouth saying Lombardo's drums on War Ensemble were sped up.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?m ... mID=128021

"COMMENT | #
posted by : ohu sick
10/2/2009 8:15:35 AM
Report Abuse

Am I the only one who finds this "unholy trinity" of albums a bit dubious? I mean I'd take Hell Awaits over SITA any day. The drums on War Ensemble were sped up in the studio because Lombardo wasn't able to record them live at full speed. That admission right there is enough to disqualify SITA as a classic in my opinion."

EDIT: Turns out FJ and ohu sick are both from Virginia. The plot thickens...

Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:26 pm 

All you guys need to kerry on already!

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:29 pm 

Riffs wrote:
Divine Intervention was a fine effort by Slayer but there is something seriously fucking wrong with putting it in the vicinity of Reign In Blood, one of the best metal albums of all time.

Nah, not at all. If we were talking about Justice comparing to Master of Puppets then it wouldn't sound quite is ludicrous would it? RiB is a good album to the uninitiated metalhead, but really there are far better metal albums out there when you start exploring. Divine Intervention is one of them. And that's not very far away lol.
novakm wrote:
I still don't understand why people care that Jeff isn't in Slayer anymore? I mean, I hope he recovers and stuff, but talk about going through the motions, he barely contributed anything to the band anymore, live or in the studio.

What an ignorant comment. Jeff wrote Psychopathy Red which is the most thrashy and kickass song they put out in the 15 years prior to WPB.

Tornado
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:50 pm 

FJ Receptor wrote:
Dave could barely get through the recording sessions according to himself in a magazine interview after he was let go from Slayer in the 90s. They had to speed up his double bass on War Ensemble with studio tricks cause he wasn't able to cut it.

I seem to recall a reason for this. I'm sure I read, many years ago, that Rick Rubin persuaded Dave to alter the height of his drum stool (sometime after South of Heaven, I think), as nobody could ever see him playing live as his drum kit was so fucking huge. So Dave raised the stool, but in doing so this changed his position for playing (and he'd obviously been used to sitting in that same position for years), making it difficult for him to play double bass like he previously had done. He didn't realise this for some time, until a friend suggested that he alter the stool height to how it was before, and supposedly things were coolio again and Dave was able to play fast double bass like he used to.

FJ Receptor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:51 pm 

MARSDUDE wrote:
^^^Best I can find is some tool on Blabbermouth saying Lombardo's drums on War Ensemble were sped up.

"COMMENT | #
Report Abuse

Am I the only one who finds this "unholy trinity" of albums a bit dubious? I mean I'd take Hell Awaits over SITA any day. The drums on War Ensemble were sped up in the studio because Lombardo wasn't able to record them live at full speed. That admission right there is enough to disqualify SITA as a classic in my opinion."

Don't be immature. We're the same person; there's no conspiracy. Dave is/was one of my heroes. I used to get Metal Maniacs magazine as a teenager. As Metal Maniacs is no more, I don't have an issue number to point to. It was the one around 1994/1995 with Dave Lombardo on the cover. In it he talks candidly about his departure with Slayer and his formation of Grip INC. He also talks about how he had difficulty recording War Ensemble and the double bass part was giving him a lot of trouble. He explained his side and it was that Slayer's manager wanted him to sit higher on the drum stand so fans could see him during the shows. He kept this habit of sitting higher all the time. He said in that position he couldn't play as fast double bass, and he didn't realize this at the time during the studio sessions. He said they decided to record his double bass in half time and then it was sped up. If anyone has this issue still take a look. I think I still have it but I'm not going through my parents attic to prove a point I know to be officially recorded and true.

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:34 pm 

CF_Mono wrote:
novakm wrote:

What an ignorant comment. Jeff wrote Psychopathy Red which is the most thrashy and kickass song they put out in the 15 years prior to WPB.

Yeah and he hasn't done anything worthwhile since. And he's horrible live.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:00 pm 

FJ Receptor wrote:
MARSDUDE wrote:

"COMMENT | #
Report Abuse

Don't be immature. We're the same person; there's no conspiracy. Dave is/was one of my heroes. I used to get Metal Maniacs magazine as a teenager. As Metal Maniacs is no more, I don't have an issue number to point to. It was the one around 1994/1995 with Dave Lombardo on the cover. In it he talks candidly about his departure with Slayer and his formation of Grip INC. He also talks about how he had difficulty recording War Ensemble and the double bass part was giving him a lot of trouble. He explained his side and it was that Slayer's manager wanted him to sit higher on the drum stand so fans could see him during the shows. He kept this habit of sitting higher all the time. He said in that position he couldn't play as fast double bass, and he didn't realize this at the time during the studio sessions. He said they decided to record his double bass in half time and then it was sped up. If anyone has this issue still take a look. I think I still have it but I'm not going through my parents attic to prove a point I know to be officially recorded and true.

Yeah, I was kidding.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:33 pm 

FJ Receptor wrote:

Also, all this worship of SIB and Dave's performance on the album are pretty funny to me. Dave could barely get through the recording sessions according to himself in a magazine interview after he was let go from Slayer in the 90s. They had to speed up his double bass on War Ensemble with studio tricks cause he wasn't able to cut it.

That album does indeed kick ass, so it's no wonder people worship it.

I've never read anything about Lombardo cheating extensively with studio tricks. These albums are generally appreciated for their untempered, natural feel. Every interview I ever read also highlights how they kept things simple back then. And certainly, Dave Lombardo, even to this day, can play War Ensemble as cleanly and fast as ever and barely break a sweat. And he's almost 50 years old.

I'd really like to see a credible source on the extent of the drums alterations in Seasons in the Abyss but you'll forgive me if one guy rambling on the internet doesn't cut it.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:44 pm 

What the fuck is 'SIB'?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:47 pm 

Seasons In Blood or South In Blood!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:49 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Seasons In Blood or South In Blood!

:lol:

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:58 pm 

CF_Mono wrote:
RiB is a good album to the uninitiated metalhead, but really there are far better metal albums out there when you start exploring.

This is true. Reign in Blood is fantastic but there are tons of albums that got way less attention that were better

Quote:
Divine Intervention is one of them.

Lol no. Reign in Blood's quality may be overrated due to its historical impact, but Divine Intervention is just flat-out terrible.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:45 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
Show No Mercy: Best Thrash Metal album of ALL TIME. Hell Awaits I liked a lot less but it was pretty cool. Haunting the Chapel was very, very outstanding except for Aggessive Perfector(if included there), a track I never liked. I enjoyed RiB. South and Seasons were quite good. I consider myself among the throes who pretend Slayer disbanded after 1990.

Show No Mercy is a slightly more evil Judas Priest album. It's pretty awesome, but you honestly think it's the best thrash album of all time?

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:01 am 

Scourge441 wrote:
CF_Mono wrote:
RiB is a good album to the uninitiated metalhead, but really there are far better metal albums out there when you start exploring.

This is true. Reign in Blood is fantastic but there are tons of albums that got way less attention that were better

Quote:
Divine Intervention is one of them.

Lol no. Reign in Blood's quality may be overrated due to its historical impact, but Divine Intervention is just flat-out terrible.

Reign In Blood's quality is overrated due to it's historical impact.
WAT

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:32 am 

Reign in Blood is one of the best thrash albums ever. It's like the aesthetic and style of thrash taken to its logical extreme - nothing but thrashin' madness from the riffs, bloody occult/war lyrics and gruff screaming/shouting vocals. Everything else is diluted out, and it's brilliant. That's about all I can say.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:43 am 

This is complete and utter madness. Divine Intervention on the same level as RIB? That makes as much sense as a wooden pillow. I mean, Divine Intervention is fine and all, but Reign..... Reign is, like, bloody motherfuckin' thrash incarnate. I personally hold Seasons as my absolute favorite, but Reign in Blood is, agh..... Shit, just go and listen to the fucking thing.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:03 am 

I just listened to both today and stand by it. It's difficult though. RiB has some killer ans some filler. DI to me sounds more complete but doesn't have any particular song that sticks out much more than the rest, but still extremely dark and metal all the way through, and it has a lot more surprises.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:06 am 

Maybe it has surprises 'cause we all heard RIB so many times and it became a bit dull.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:10 am 

Well, RIB isn't exactly known for its variety. Not like it needs it though, seeing how short it is.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next