Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
InfernoxDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:58 am 

Best to listen to the album before writing it off. It's an excellent debut, that music wise, it's similar to Summoning, maybe even Rivendell. Band tend to gain influences from various bands, and it's clear cut, Summoning influenced the music of this.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:37 pm 

Yeah so I listened to it and... not bad stuff, but not buy-worthy, I'm afraid. Just too much filler and like I said based on the preview, it's missing that special something that makes Summoning so great. I don't loathe it like Starmere does, but it's just a bit underwhelming overall.

Not bad for a debut, though. These guys have potential, and I'll look out for an hopefully improved album in the future.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:14 pm 

Haha. Well , let me at least say that I can tell they tried. There was a good deal of effort put into this album. But if you're going to emulate something so unique and specific, you'd better fucking be able to back it up with some serious quality or else you just make yourself look like a retard. I actually found what I heard of Emyn Muil more interesting because there seemedto be more of an effort happening there to not abjectly copy but to instead take inspiration and head in a bit of a fresh direction.

Another thing that makes Summoning so much better is their superb use of melody. Caladan Brood is really forgettable on that level.

Listening to Nightshade Forests right now. Fuck this rules.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:28 pm 

Fuck you guys are ruining this for me now! Well I will still keep my hopes up and spin the shit out of this before I comment and give my final thoughts :-P . Emyn Muil was a dam fine debut, really enjoyed it myself, just think the guitars were a we bit thin but still very good. It is still very welcoming to see more bands attempt this style, ironic also that these releases are all coming out so close to each other - Elffor - Emyn Muil - Caladan Brood - Summoning. Also keep an eye as Mirkwood (US) are also planning to release the debut album soon...

BlashyrkhMR101
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:30 pm 

Goddamn, this was such a good album. Really can't say anything in regards to complaints about it, hope to see a cassette or vinyl release in the future.

~Guest 298739
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:07 pm 

Pagan_Death_Sceam wrote:
vulcan plutarchy wrote:
Is this band's name a Dune reference?

I what, I what...what-i..what.what...what...what...what

*ahem* looks like someone didn't read the OP.

Anyways, the album is growing on me, not really summoning, the influence is there, but it is a njce listen.

There's no better way to make an ass out of yourself than trying to be condescending and spelling something wrong in the process. :thumbsup:

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:16 am 

Ok, finally got the cd and have give it a few spins and I am glad to say it is everything I expected. These guys will do for the Malazan Book of the Fallen what Summoning did for Lord of the Rings. Cant see why some people are writing them off as a weak Summoning clone, I guess it is just down to personal taste as I think they are the best band yet to take on this style outside Summoning. The production is great and I really love the clean vocals, auto tuned or whatever they sound great and fit the music perfectly. As for not being memorable, def not the case for me as I already have some of the melodies stuck in my head haha.

Anyway the album deserves a chance to breathe, give it a few listens and let it sink in. For a band to come out of the blue with no previous material and release something like this I think is quite an achievement on its own, epic, sad sounding hymns, just the way I love it.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:01 am 

To be honest, I'm not that concerned about the fact that they're what amounts to a poor man's Summoning. I gladly listen to quality worship of my favourite bands even when it's not quite up to par with the masters. If I enjoy a band, it'd be unreasonable not to enjoy something similar, wouldn't it? The problem is that they're doing it wrong, and I'm utterly unable to enjoy it. It's cheap and sugary to excess.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:24 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
To be honest, I'm not that concerned about the fact that they're what amounts to a poor man's Summoning. I gladly listen to quality worship of my favourite bands even when it's not quite up to par with the masters. If I enjoy a band, it'd be unreasonable not to enjoy something similar, wouldn't it? The problem is that they're doing it wrong, and I'm utterly unable to enjoy it. It's cheap and sugary to excess.

Respect your reasoning Ilwhyan my friend, as I said it is all down to personal taste. I on the other hand think this is more than just another Summoning clone and a band with a very promising future and one to keep an eye on. I think they have sadly fallen into the love or hate camp, even in this very thread as well as other sources though in saying that the overall opinion seems to be positive and reviews are strong. I hope this continues to blossom as I would really like to hear more from this band in the future and after all this comparing I hope the new Summoning is up to standard and business as usual (which im sure it will be :) )

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:54 am 

I cant decide between the normal edition and the digipack, both have awesome covers. Is there any difference between the booklets of both editions???

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:53 pm 

Paganbasque wrote:
I cant decide between the normal edition and the digipack, both have awesome covers. Is there any difference between the booklets of both editions???

The two booklets will be different from each other Paganbasque, even tougher decision now!

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:46 am 

STORMM wrote:
Paganbasque wrote:

The two booklets will be different from each other Paganbasque, even tougher decision now!

Nooooooooooooo :(

Perhaps I will finaly buy the digipack edition because I want to purchase this one and RC´s last oppus in Napalm Records, and they have only the digi edition.

veryevildead
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:18 pm 

I'm digging this. All the songs have a very nice pace. I think its a solid mix of styles. I'm going to have to check out the series its based on.

primitivevoid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:52 pm 

veryevildead wrote:
I'm digging this. All the songs have a very nice pace. I think its a solid mix of styles. I'm going to have to check out the series its based on.

do so you wont be disapointed. very "metal" series, not your typical lotr style stuff. much darker.

NetherFog
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:59 am 

This is absolutely mind blowing for me, always wanted metal bands to take up Malazan's theme, Malazan is as metal as they come. Love the Summoning + Moonsorrow sound. So so good! Heading to northern silence webstore!

plaguesofwrath
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:10 am 

Not sure where all the hate for this band is coming from. Personally I think this band is leagues better than Summoning. Sorry, but Summoning has always bored me to tears. Perhaps its because listening to this band takes me back to the first time I ever played Daggerfall, or perhaps it's the subject matter. Malazan hasn't been done to death by every band in every style of metal since the 70's like lotr has. No I think its because Caladan Brood is just flat out more interesting than Summoning has ever been.

Hush_03
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:53 am 

plaguesofwrath wrote:
...listening to this band takes me back to the first time I ever played Daggerfall.

Fuck yeah, this x10!

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:38 am 

Cmon Ilywhan, Mortal Heroes and Oath Bound had plenty of sacharrine moments. I rather like this, yes it's a summoning ripoff with no imagination but damn they do it well. And I'd take good but derivative over bad but original any day.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

caspian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:38 am 

Cmon Ilywhan, Mortal Heroes and Oath Bound had plenty of sacharrine moments. I rather like this, yes it's a summoning ripoff with no imagination but damn they do it well. And I'd take good but derivative over bad but original any day.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:06 am 

I have just ordered the A5 digi edition directly to the band, the price is good, 20 dollars including the post.

Ell
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:34 pm 

This is actually pretty good. I've always liked this subgenre of Black Metal, if that's what you would call it. They're still no Summoning, but that doesn't mean that they're not worth listening to. For the fact that this is an American band (as usually any American attempts at Black Metal end horribly), I'm actually pretty impressed.

ArcticTundra13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:22 am 

After multiple listens I can confirm that this is one of the best debut albums I've heard in a long time. A purely clone band that got it right... fantastic. I'll be ordering this one directly from the band. Can't wait to get a physical copy.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:03 pm 

caspian wrote:

There's good saccharine, and there's annoying saccharine. For the record, stuff like Land of the Dead is too much for me.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:21 pm 

Pure cane sugar vs. Splenda. Caladan Brood is now officially the Splenda™ of fantasy metal.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:28 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Pure cane sugar vs. Splenda. Caladan Brood is now officially the Splenda™ of fantasy metal.

Quoted for truth! If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:05 pm 

*sips Caladan Brood* .. there is overmuch water in this mead. *finishes the cup because it was free, does not refill*

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:08 pm 

This album left me lukewarm at first, but on a second listen, I'm digging this. It's not quite Summoning, no, but damn if A Voice Born of Stone and Dust isn't on par with most kick-ass Summoning songs. The last track is also pretty awesome.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:40 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
This album left me lukewarm at first, but on a second listen, I'm digging this. It's not quite Summoning, no, but damn if A Voice Born of Stone and Dust isn't on par with most kick-ass Summoning songs. The last track is also pretty awesome.

Good to hear this release is sinking in with you Morrigan, it is a rewarding effort. I am still enjoying it very much, favourite track for me would have to be 'To Walk The Ashes of Dead Empires'. The haunting melody is beautiful and very fitting to the theme of the album. Thanks to this release I have began to read the books, difficult to follow in the beginning but really enjoying it so far. Still only on the first so I have a mammoth task ahead.

caspian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:52 pm 

I haven't given this a listen post-new summoning leaking but it did cross my mind when I was listening to Old Mornings Dawn. Quite simply OMD blows this totally out of the water; Echoes of Battle is still a pretty entertaining album but it's nowhere near on the same level.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:28 am 

STORMM wrote:
Morrigan wrote:

Good to hear this release is sinking in with you Morrigan, it is a rewarding effort. I am still enjoying it very much, favourite track for me would have to be 'To Walk The Ashes of Dead Empires'. The haunting melody is beautiful and very fitting to the theme of the album. Thanks to this release I have began to read the books, difficult to follow in the beginning but really enjoying it so far. Still only on the first so I have a mammoth task ahead.

This song is simply marvellous, as you have perfectly described the melody is truly haunting, very evoking and emotive. A perfect song without any doubt, what a brilliant debut!!.

And I am not going to compare this album with Summoning´s new opus, I want to enjoy both albums and I don’t want to fall in this crazy "fan boy" hysteria.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:16 am 

Paganbasque wrote:
And I am not going to compare this album with Summoning´s new opus, I want to enjoy both albums and I don’t want to fall in this crazy "fan boy" hysteria.

+1 I am just glad to see more bands take up this wonderful style.

Horace Bones
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:09 pm 

So these guys plan on releasing a vinyl edition of EOB with two bonus tracks that are covers of songs off of Minas Morgul. Anybody find that odd? These guys sound like their sound derives more from Stronghold-LMHSYF era rather than MM. These covers should be interesting to hear....hopefully they add their own flair to it rather than do an EXACT cover.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:18 am 

Weren't they already covering Summoning? :P

Fucking wankers...

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:29 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Weren't they already covering Summoning? :P

Fucking wankers...

Please take your time to listen to the band carefully, there is much more inside its music than the quite obvious Summoning influence/worship.

Anyway, a Summoning cover was quite...expected. :D

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:40 am 

New artwork and logo looking pretty damn good, pity I dont collect vinyl nowadays.

absurder21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:03 pm 

Fucking great record, although I don't understand how it's a Summoning derivative. I mean, I definitely hear the influence, and it's obviously their favourite band, but it's not structured like and too up-tempo'd to be a blatant Summoning rip off.

Inkshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:46 pm 

Saw the world "Caladan" and I immediately assumed that it was Summoning with Dune-themed lyrics.

Needless to say, I was disappointed. :nono:

I really, really want to listen to an atmospheric black metal band with lyrics about sandworms and Middle-Eastern musical influences...

Winterfell
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:15 pm 

I find that I like their production a lot more than Summoning. It feels a lot more natural and lush. That said, their songwriting is in no way on the same level as Summoning. They certainly have promise, and I'll be interested to see where they go from here.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:07 am 

absurder21 wrote:
Fucking great record, although I don't understand how it's a Summoning derivative. I mean, I definitely hear the influence, and it's obviously their favourite band, but it's not structured like and too up-tempo'd to be a blatant Summoning rip off.

The music is more complex and it has so many ideas to discover and enjoy while you are listening to the album. As you have said its much more than a simple Summoning rip off.

Anyway though the similarities are obvious it clear that the music is based on different books because the atmosphere its quite different, I must read those books ASAP.

Last edited by Paganbasque on Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
jgarci12
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:31 pm 

Just listened to this the other day, great stuff.

Also, I went and purchased "Gardens of the Moon" as well.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next