Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Pathless
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:02 pm 

Coming in here to remind people of Krypt's new album and Brutality's newest EP.

Excellent stuff and I expected no less.

Amrator
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:19 pm 

aaronmb666 wrote:
Looking for bands with bass similar to Alex Webster, Steve Digiorgo, where it stands out/you can hear it.

I'm guessing you know Obscura. You might like Beyond Creation. Dominic Lapointe is a phenomenal bassist. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA0zEIJ0jq0

SSatanicSSatan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:31 am 

Most Pagan bands I know of play either Black or Folk Metal. I have not found many pagan Death Metal bands. I am looking for Pagan Death Metal that is not Melodic. I am not a big Melodeath fan, the only Melodeath band I regularly listen to is Amon Amarth. If folk instruments are must be used like Nile uses them. I would prefer the lyrics to be about Nordic and to a lesser degree European mythology/religion but I am fine with Pagan Death Metal that is non-European. I would prefer lyrics to be in Germanic languages but I am happy with lyricis in Slavic, Latin or even non-European languages. Recomend me any good Pagan Death Metal that is not Melodic or to Folky. I have a diverse taste in Death Metal. I love Morbid Angel, Unleashed, Bolt Thrower, Incantation and Devourment.

~Guest 292988
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:15 am 

F

Last edited by ~Guest 292988 on Tue May 05, 2015 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:23 am 

Nebster173 wrote:
What's death metal with angry deep shouted vocals. Like Deicide's first two albums or vader.

Maybe Jungle Rot, Criterion?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:07 pm 

Still looking for more death metal bands with great ear for melody, such as:
- Anata (especially Infernal Depths of Hatred)
- Intestine Baalism
- Edge of Sanity
- Adramelech
- The Chasm
- Lykathea Aflame

As you can see, all of these are very different sounding bands, but all have incredibly talented songwriters. They combine melody and harmony with dissonance extremely well.

androdion recommended me a few bands before, like Depresy. I recommend it to anyone who read my request and went "me too!", but it's not quite there in terms of melodic brilliance. Thanks anyhow, androdion. :) I have yet to check out the other bands you recommended, took me a while to... acquire them.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:30 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
- Intestine Baalism
- Edge of Sanity
- Adramelech
- The Chasm
- Lykathea Aflame

As you can see, all of these are very different sounding bands, but all have incredibly talented songwriters. They combine melody and harmony with dissonance extremely well.

Based on your preferences you could give God Macabre a try. The Winterlong is very old school and bestial but amply melodic for a old school band, it even has two acoustic interludes. I haven't quite heard anything much similar to The Chasm, maybe Alchemist can be a bit close at times but they have more in common with Edge of Sanity I reckon. Atheist are pretty similar to EoS as well.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:36 pm 

Thanks, I'll give those a listen. Atheist I obviously know, but it could use some re-listening after this long time.

The only band similar to The Chasm I can think of is Infinitum Obscure. They also play those minor arpeggios that sound more like black metal than death metal at times.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:53 pm 

Just listened to a song from their first album. It doesn't feature any sort of arpeggios but more like a hint of black metal riffing near closing sections. Anyway, thanks for sharing. I'll check some more of their stuff soon.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:03 pm 

There are definitely those Mayhem styled minor chord arpeggios on both albums. Maybe they're not as prominent as I remember, but I specifically remember that A Quest for Vengeance has a certain riff with minor arpeggios that sounds like black metal, and I remember most other songs having similar style aswell.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:32 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
- Intestine Baalism
- Edge of Sanity
- Adramelech
- The Chasm
- Lykathea Aflame

androdion recommended me a few bands before, like Depresy. I recommend it to anyone who read my request and went "me too!", but it's not quite there in terms of melodic brilliance. Thanks anyhow, androdion. :) I have yet to check out the other bands you recommended, took me a while to... acquire them.

Have you heard Gorement and Deathevokation? I wouldn't quite call Deathevokation "Gorement worship" but the influence is apparent. Anyway, both bands have a fantastic sense of melody. Deathevokation in particular are one of my very favorite recent death metal bands. Fingers crossed for another album from these guys.

Edit: ah, hell. Apparently someone got word that Deathevokation are officially done. Sad news.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:34 pm 

Thanks iaintbatty, the names are familiar, but I have hardly any idea what they sound like. Not the kind of band names that make me immediately want to check them out, if you understand what I mean.

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:50 pm 

There's also Ch'aska if you haven't heard them, who're kind of like Intestine Baalism with panflutes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XkeUjqWX7c

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:57 pm 

That combination sounds quite outlandish. Thanks, I'll check them out aswell. :thumbsup:

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:09 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
- Intestine Baalism
- Edge of Sanity
- Adramelech
- The Chasm
- Lykathea Aflame

Check out xGODx by Serpent. Like Intestine Baalism, they are Japanese, and also like Intestine Baalism, they are very good. Massive melodies and lots of classical guitar influence, but still pretty legit-sounding death metal. I don't know what it is about Japan, but the melodic death metal bands I get to hear from that country are usually way out ahead of the crowd. As is a lot of the metal in general. Gomo-gomo-metaaaaal!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:58 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Thanks iaintbatty, the names are familiar, but I have hardly any idea what they sound like. Not the kind of band names that make me immediately want to check them out, if you understand what I mean.

Well, Gorement is a really stupid name for sure. Deathevokation are named after the classic Dismember track, though!

Gorement are swedeath, though far less thuggish than, say, Entombed. They can be both more "brutal" in the traditional sense but a lot more melodic...sort of some traces of Desultory or even Utumno but less melodeath-y than Desultory and less proggy than Utumno.

Deathevokation take obvious influence from Gorement but with a helping of Demigod and the more melodic/mournful side of Dismember, but generally slower, with longer tracks.

You could also try the Dutch band Mangled, though they sort of alternate the more contemplative melodic stuff with neck-snapping Iniquity-ness circa Five Across the Eyes.

Gorement (unfortunately from a release with poor production...it looks like none of the album tracks are on YouTube anymore):

Deathevokation:

Mangled:

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:36 pm 

sushiman: It's interesting how Intestine Baalism make the whole melodic death metal thing sound so inspired and genuine. The latest album isn't that fantastic, perhaps, and they have some missteps on earlier albums aswell, but songs like Cannibal Sodom, Banquet in the Darkness and Corporal Celebration are simply incredible on a level that merely grim death metal can rarely achieve.

Well, thanks for the recommendations!

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:12 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
sushiman: It's interesting how Intestine Baalism make the whole melodic death metal thing sound so inspired and genuine. The latest album isn't that fantastic, perhaps, and they have some missteps on earlier albums aswell, but songs like Cannibal Sodom, Banquet in the Darkness and Corporal Celebration are simply incredible on a level that merely grim death metal can rarely achieve.

Well, thanks for the recommendations!

Absolutely. I think it has something to do with the abiding veneration I seem to detect among Japanese guitarists in all metal genres for impassioned and classically influenced playing, they really have a different perspective on it to the 'Iron Maiden with harsh vocals' roots of a lot of other melodic death metal scenes.

Speaking of ingenious Japanese death metal, and if you're in the market for other death metal finds, I'm always looking for a reason to plug Gotsu Totsu Kotsu. Samurai-themed death metal with the most crushing, most funky bass I have ever heard on a death metal album. Not proggy noodling, just really awesome bass-slapping with crushing brutal death metal riffs and vocals. They have a new record coming out soon and there is no death metal release this year I am anticipating more.

naxe
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:21 am 

PillarofModern wrote:
Someone give me something delicious please. Technical death metal like Cryptopsy, not that artificial spawn of possession, i've had my share of obscura, and no, necrophagist will not cut it. whatever happened to technical death metal bands like suffocation, cryptopsy?! help me please. this forum introduced me to lord worm, something im eternally grateful for please give me something even better \m/

try check these out

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:03 pm 

That Unbirth teaser is sick. That particular vocal style isn't my most favorite, but it'll do. The music is aggressive; energetic; and the sound is good.

ravagingthemassacred
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:28 pm 

Does such a thing exist that sounds like a mixture of later Behemoth (especially Zos Kia Cultus) + Haggard?

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:48 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
- Intestine Baalism
- Edge of Sanity
- Adramelech
- The Chasm
- Lykathea Aflame

As per my usual answer when this sort of thing comes up, Uncanny. Amazing Swedish band who wrote genuine OSDM which was absolutely dripping in melody and careful precision. Definitely not Gothenburg-esque at all, but it has enough melody work that it could feasibly be called melodic death metal

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:41 am 

I'm on the lookout for death metal in the style of Darkthrone's Soulside Journey - no suggestions are too obvious for me, I know there are tons of well-known death metal bands I've not listened to yet.

dmforever1
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:45 pm 

try blood mortized very old school sounding good luck with the search
METAL HAILS \m/

~Guest 224282
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:50 pm 

Looking to get into brutal death metal/slam stuff. I'm looking for stuff with good production and maybe some good screamed vocals that are kind of borderline black metal vocals, I think Bloodbaths 2nd album had vocals like that. Stuff similar to this Cattle Decapitation song.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:35 am 

Garchomp4ever wrote:
Looking to get into brutal death metal/slam stuff. I'm looking for stuff with good production and maybe some good screamed vocals that are kind of borderline black metal vocals, I think Bloodbaths 2nd album had vocals like that. Stuff similar to this Cattle Decapitation song.

Guttural Secrete fits the bill. Utterly brutal and has screams.

suleiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:15 am 

I tried listening to some of the newer technical death metal bands that most were praising and was mostly bored to death (haha). boring atonal wank wank interpersed with 3 rd rate Death copy wank wank. ugh.

Any suggestions for dark song oriented technial/brutal death metal will be highly appreciated.

I m looking for bands/ albums that are well-produced,fast and technical, but are using dark/ evil sounding melodic progressions. Also it would help if there is some vocal variety. The exclusive use of gutturals or for that matter melodeath rasps is a big deal breaker for me. preferbaly at least two to three different types of growls/voices is good.

think similar to the Origin songs " Portal " and "Staring Into the Abyss ". Or the mood of some of Septic Flesh's darker stuff but less orchestra and more tech-brutality. Or some of Behemoth's later stuff, but minus the cluttered sprawling approach (prefer precision / focus) and ridiculous continous vocal bombast.

I know it seems vague but any help will be appreciated.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:06 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
- Intestine Baalism

Bloodshot Dawn. The prominent and abundant solos makes me compare them to IB. It also makes me think of Cacophony.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQKsxYHUtJU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40PMzd-xjos

Yyrkoon. Very melodic. Very awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Uz_jKiBknA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tel_4IeFtoU

Satariel. Phobos and Deimos is a fantastic album. Added bonus - Messiah Marcolin does lead vocals on 4 songs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCp-v1Rj5ec
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gFYigMejQY

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:35 am 

aaronmb666 wrote:
Looking for bands with bass similar to Alex Webster, Steve Digiorgo, where it stands out/you can hear it.

Synodik. Italian. A bit technical. A bit Progressive. A bit brutal.
Bass that stands out in death metal is asking a bit much, but this bassist actually has proper bass lines and some nice grooves in the background.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeVk9lveS00

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:42 am 

Opus wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:
- Intestine Baalism

Bloodshot Dawn. The prominent and abundant solos makes me compare them to IB. It also makes me think of Cacophony.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQKsxYHUtJU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40PMzd-xjos

Yyrkoon. Very melodic. Very awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Uz_jKiBknA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tel_4IeFtoU

Satariel. Phobos and Deimos is a fantastic album. Added bonus - Messiah Marcolin does lead vocals on 4 songs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCp-v1Rj5ec
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gFYigMejQY

Thanks! I know Yyrkoon and Satariel already, but I haven't listened to Yyrkoon for ages. Bloodshot Dawn is a new one to me.

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:08 pm 

suleiman wrote:
I tried listening to some of the newer technical death metal bands that most were praising and was mostly bored to death (haha). boring atonal wank wank interpersed with 3 rd rate Death copy wank wank. ugh.

Any suggestions for dark song oriented technial/brutal death metal will be highly appreciated.

I m looking for bands/ albums that are well-produced,fast and technical, but are using dark/ evil sounding melodic progressions. Also it would help if there is some vocal variety. The exclusive use of gutturals or for that matter melodeath rasps is a big deal breaker for me. preferbaly at least two to three different types of growls/voices is good.

think similar to the Origin songs " Portal " and "Staring Into the Abyss ". Or the mood of some of Septic Flesh's darker stuff but less orchestra and more tech-brutality. Or some of Behemoth's later stuff, but minus the cluttered sprawling approach (prefer precision / focus) and ridiculous continous vocal bombast.

Vengeful's first album

HeySharpshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:51 pm 

suleiman wrote:

Anata: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riEDgFgxLF0

Odious Mortem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdx1oLZurkc

Biolich: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSfKSYZrwCs

Mithras: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceJw71CX_Ns

Gigan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V_oago_ntQ

And might I just say, I would recommend some of the more unique bands in Death Metal which don't get labeled as "Technical Death Metal" but are extremely technical, precise and complex. Many of the modern "Occult Black Death" and "Atmospheric Death Metal" bands are some of the most complex and technical bands in Death Metal. If you want more "evil" in your Tech Death, these might be the way to go:

Mitochondrion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbjzxqkIJ8c

Ulcerate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFhFNShA8YE

Flourishing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GGLeTP1_HQ

Ævangelist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcIZyCkWf2U

suleiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:07 pm 

HeySharpshooter wrote:
Anata: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riEDgFgxLF0

Odious Mortem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdx1oLZurkc

Biolich: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSfKSYZrwCs

Mithras: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceJw71CX_Ns

Gigan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V_oago_ntQ

And might I just say, I would recommend some of the more unique bands in Death Metal which don't get labeled as "Technical Death Metal" but are extremely technical, precise and complex. Many of the modern "Occult Black Death" and "Atmospheric Death Metal" bands are some of the most complex and technical bands in Death Metal. If you want more "evil" in your Tech Death, these might be the way to go:

Mitochondrion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbjzxqkIJ8c

Ulcerate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFhFNShA8YE

Flourishing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GGLeTP1_HQ

Ævangelist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcIZyCkWf2U

Thanks for these recs.
i know some of these bands , especially Mithras who really rocked my world back in 2004-2005. Genius stuff !

Mitochondrion is also ace, but i need to spend some time with the new one. Ulcerate is alright, but never really clicked with me. Gigan was better, but again i need to spend more time with them.

The thing with a lot of the newer murky 'occult' death bands is that the overkill of fuzz is almost like a visible knee jerk reaction to the clean production and pro tooled extremity of the other end. The will to dissonance ends up killing a lot of potentially headbangable songs. Just MHO.

Biolich and Odious Mortem seem really interesting so I will pursue those more. Ditto Flourishing. Thanks again.

suleiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:09 pm 

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind wrote:
Vengeful's first album

they sound fukin amazing. thanks a lot.

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:40 pm 

suleiman wrote:
Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind wrote:
Vengeful's first album

they sound fukin amazing. thanks a lot.

Also hear Dim Mak's latest

suleiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:21 am 

Really enjoying Masachist, as it has some perfect moments : dark atmosphere, clear un-cluttered productions and ocassional bouts of technicality along with calmer or more mid-tempoed stuff

No clue where I read the rec :P

Aikanaro
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:58 pm 

Any Brutal Death Metal bands out there a long the lines of Dyscarnate? Something Brutal, yet not overly technical, with growls and not broken toilet diarrhea vomiting pig squealing sounding vocals.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:01 pm 

Aikanaro wrote:
Any Brutal Death Metal bands out there a long the lines of Dyscarnate? Something Brutal, yet not overly technical, with growls and not broken toilet diarrhea vomiting pig squealing sounding vocals.

Bloodsoaked, Blood Red Throne

Aikanaro
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:29 pm 

aaronmb666 wrote:
Aikanaro wrote:

Bloodsoaked, Blood Red Throne

I'm a fan of both those bands

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:29 pm 

Aikanaro wrote:

Not familiar with Dyscarnate but from your description you could try Sepsism. All three albums are good but I have a soft spot for the debut.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187 ... 289  Next