Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:15 am 

failsafeman wrote:
Yeah, DS9 is by far the best imo. Best characters, best plot, best everything.

As was pointed out, definitely true after the second season, when the cast got some experience under their belt and got more comfortable with their characters and the writers started to really become familiar with the characters. Some of the first two seasons is painfully awful. And well, there are some crappy episodes later on as well. Profit and Lace comes to mind when Quark impersonates a female ferengi. The sexism for humor aspect of it is very awkward. [/nerd]

As for best characters, yes, this side of Picard and Spock though perhaps the two cardassians (Garak and Dukat) are equal.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:41 am 

I wouldn't say any of it is painfully awful, but obviously some of it is going to be less good. Some of the early seasons of TNG and Voyager are pretty bad too, it's just par for the course for that kind of show.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:11 am 

failsafeman wrote:
I wouldn't say any of it is painfully awful, but obviously some of it is going to be less good. Some of the early seasons of TNG and Voyager are pretty bad too, it's just par for the course for that kind of show.

Yeah, I'm not saying that they aren't. TNG's first two seasons were definitely full of bad episodes and well, Voyager is pretty damn awful even in the later parts of the show. Perhaps that's overstating it, but there's a whole lot of snoozers in there.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:22 am 

Voyager was a massive step down, it's true. I've read some interviews about what went on behind the scenes and it's not very surprising that it turned out like it did. The writers just didn't really know what they were doing, and squandered the unique opportunities offered by the setup in favor of returning to the TNG formula.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:40 am 

Janeway was a really remarkable female character for the mid 90's, though.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:22 pm 

Sure, she was remarkable in that she was 100% in charge, didn't take crap from anyone, and at the same time was middle-aged and not remarkably attractive (i.e. not a bimbo). However, the writers squandered most of her potential, because they never really explored the ramifications of Voyager essentially becoming a society unto itself - normally Starfleet crews are operating within the much larger society of Starfleet, and get regular leave/correspondence/general contact with other crews to reinforce that fact. In the Delta quadrant, they're 100% cut off from everyone else - which means Janeway isn't just the captain, she's going to be the unelected queen for 40 years, running not just their professional lives but also their personal lives. She'd probably want to try to maintain the status quo as much as possible, but especially given the Maquis they integrated into the crew, I'm sure there would be people calling for a more democratic way of running the ship (and their lives). Janeway seems to be from the Picard school of "Prime Directive comes first" thought, so there could have been some interesting conflicts there - threat of mutiny, tempers flaring between people who don't like each other being stuck together in close contact for too long, the necessities of keeping the ship running while being 40 years from the nearest Starfleet repair/resupply depot - they just didn't really handle any of that. Instead the ship ran fine most of the time, the crew were calm and got along OK, hell, their uniforms even looked crisply ironed at all times.

It was just a big waste, and the writers shied away from really taking advantage of the situation. It would have been pretty sweet to see the community in Voyager just totally break down, with factions fighting for control of the major sections of the ship. Like, if you don't want to drop out of warp and never get home, you have to make sure to keep sending food to the guys in charge of the warp core. If you don't want to get your ass blown to pieces the next time there's a fight, you have to keep the tribe in charge of maintaining the photon torpedo bays happy. That might be a little darker than Star Trek normally likes to get, but Voyager played it safe and nobody liked it as much as DS9 and TNG as a result.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:48 pm 

Just played around with the RGB curve on photoshop and damn this is fuckin' sick on so many levels!

Spoiler: show
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:54 pm 

A former classmate of mine died yesterday. Car accident. Still shocked by the news. Me and a friend of mine will go over to his family's house to give our condolences.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:56 pm 

I'm seeing a burned-in triceratops head in the first pic, but flipped like it is in the second. I probably worded that badly, but I'm basically seeing a solid head and a flipped version of it (looks like an orange-er outline).
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

doomster999

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:05 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
A former classmate of mine died yesterday. Car accident. Still shocked by the news. Me and a friend of mine will go over to his family's house to give our condolences.

That's so harsh man... :(

OzzyApu wrote:
I'm seeing a burned-in triceratops head in the first pic, but flipped like it is in the second. I probably worded that badly, but I'm basically seeing a solid head and a flipped version of it (looks like an orange-er outline).

Yea, basically the editing revealed a representation of devil's skull. I think AiC is playing a trick again with fans.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:08 pm 

doomster999 wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:

That's so harsh man... :(

It is. I don't think I'll go to his funeral. I don't want to remember the guy as an immobile piece of meat in a box.

Menternor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:10 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:

Very sad thing indeed...best wishes for his family.

doomster999 wrote:
Just played around with the RGB curve on photoshop and damn this is fuckin' sick on so many levels!

Spoiler: show

That "devil" skull would look far more menacing or shocking if the top part of the triceratop's skull between the horns didn't resemble penises...

doomster999

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:16 pm 

They don't seem like penises to me. :-P

Last.fm

Menternor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:18 pm 

Good for you, because you can't unsee them once you notice...I won't tell you how to spot them, but I guess that spending so much time browsing Cracked.com articles has affected me somewhat.

Hircine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:44 pm 

Mate, they don't look like penises. You may be feeling starved of cock right now, but that doesn't give you the right to go all prehistoric-bestiality-necrophile on us.

Wolfgong wrote:
By the way I am straight and male and get a kick outta tricking chicks to get into their pussy

Menternor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:46 pm 

Obviously, you don't know cracked.com.

Hircine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:55 pm 

I know cracked.com, I just don't go looking for dongs everywhere I go.

Wolfgong wrote:
By the way I am straight and male and get a kick outta tricking chicks to get into their pussy

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:09 pm 

3===o
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Hircine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:10 pm 

3 is not equal to 0. :/

Wolfgong wrote:

Menternor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:21 pm 

Killjoy

Hircine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:34 pm 

I'm sort of a dong-hipster - I look for penises where others may not see them.

Wolfgong wrote:

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:54 pm 

MUSHROOM TIPS

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:37 pm 

The Varg thread just went full retard(s) :ugh:

~Guest 293033
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:07 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
The Varg thread just went full retard(s) :ugh:

Discussions like that are sad on another level. When you have such an extreme or rare opinion like that, then pretty much everything you say gets automatically discredited. So, sometimes, worthwhile thoughts get ignored because of everything else going on.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:44 pm 

Ooooh, those poor little subtoughts, don't even get considered because the person expressing them is a complete moron. Such loss.

~Guest 293033
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:49 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Ooooh, those poor little subtoughts, don't even get considered because the person having them is a complete moron. Such loss.

Hey, you never know what you're missing. I'm just saying that serious arguments should be rationally considered, regardless of the source.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:41 pm 

:lol:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Menternor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:44 pm 

What the fuck? Geomancy? I though that shit was video game exclusive O.o

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:47 pm 

I'm curious if there are any Scientologists on this board. If any of your kind read this, how do people take you seriously?

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:01 pm 

That diagram is spot on. :lol:
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:11 pm 

Is "rolfing" what I think it is?

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:20 pm 

I'll save that diagram. It'll probably come in handy at some point.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:39 pm 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:
I'm curious if there are any Scientologists on this board. If any of your kind read this, how do people take you seriously?

(not to scale)

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:40 pm 

That diagram is brilliant, Morri.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:57 pm 

Country Girl's post is bordering on creepy. Please don't call them Layne and The Chains, it's as awful sounding as Acca Dacca or Fooies.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:58 pm 

''I don't want to hurt them! I want to honour them.''
Yes....of course...

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Atrocious_Mutilation
7mL

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:01 pm 

Well, looks like we've started the somberlain93 bingo game. The rules are if he says something bigoted towards a group of people, tick it off your list.

I've got sexism and racism down. Once we get homophobia, handicapism and anti-feminism we've got it all! ;)

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:02 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:
Country Girl's post is bordering on creepy. Please don't call them Layne and The Chains, it's as awful sounding as Acca Dacca or Fooies.

Necroticism174 wrote:
''I don't want to hurt them! I want to honour them.''
Yes....of course...

Glad I'm not the only who felt a bit creeped out when reading that.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:10 pm 

Atrocious_Mutilation wrote:
Well, looks like we've started the somberlain93 bingo game. The rules are if he says something bigoted towards a group of people, tick it off your list.

I've got sexism and racism down. Once we get homophobia, handicapism and anti-feminism we've got it all! ;)

I think full blown misogynism is a safe bet there.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:32 pm 

So Burning Sea festival in Croatia this June has been canceled/cancelled (why can I never work out how this damn word is spelled?). Christ man what a kick in the face hearing that this morning. There goes King Diamond for me, unless I go to the Tuska fest, but too many poo bands at that one. I still ordered two effen' King Diamond shirts this week for the blimmin' thing. Also 'lost' a court case this week, which was a total farce beginning to end. Now I have a two thousand dollar fine to pay, too. Anyhurdles, if anyone wants to recommend any fest in Europe this summer, please go ahead. Not keen on massive ones like Hellfest or the ultra-shit Bloodstock. Guess I better check out the gig forum in earnest, too.

'Layne & The Chains'. I like it.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 518  Next