Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Pessipath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:57 pm 

Everyone thinks this is the worst album ever. I really don't see why. It was pretty good for what it was, a tech/melodic death metal album with high vocals. Also why do people claim they're "deathcore" I have listened to the whole thing and can say with certainty there wasn't an ounce of deathcore in it.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:59 pm 

Yes.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:01 am 

seems like that may just be the case, ol' sport

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Cloud0129
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:05 am 

As someone who likes/can stomache core music, I'm gonna say that it had ass production, obnoxious vocals, and lacked soul.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:23 am 

You aren't the only one cause I think there were some other ones that spoke in favor of it during the talks of their new album.

But on a whole, yes you are pretty alone. It's kinda clear you weren't a fan or new of them prior to this album to realize why the rest of us find it to be horrid. It's quite clear why. If you like it, then be pleased you find pleasure in it and don't wonder why no one else does.

halfformedfetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:24 am 

Yeah, pretty alone on that one man! i couldn't stomach it

luxul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:27 am 

This whole album shouldn't even deserve the band-name "Cryptopsy" on the cover. As in, if this album was under a different band name, then this would only pass off as mediocre, at best. It's a mess.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:36 am 

Are you the only one that likes The Unspoken King? The answer is yes, you freak of nature.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:37 am 

Pessipath wrote:
why do people claim they're "deathcore" I have listened to the whole thing and can say with certainty there wasn't an ounce of deathcore in it.

The line between deathcore and modern tech-death isn't the clearest, since a lot of tech-death is more or less glorified deathcore, but vocal deliveries in songs like "Resurgence of an Empire" are very similar to metalcore and deathcore. The amount of chugging on low chords has a lot to do with it, and the vocals really lead the deathcore feel to it, since they feel like something like At All Cost with the singing mostly taken away and aimed a bit towards death metal. Reminds me a bit of Glass Casket, though GK were better than this.

To answer the general question, you're not the only one, but one of few. Cryptopsy didn't pull of this style of death metal very well IMO, and the vocal phrasings really didn't help the cause in how they seemed to be aimed to be groovy but weren't really memorable or powerful. The clean sections like "Contemplate Regicide" were just embarassingly bad for the type of music they were trying to make, the band was clearly departing from the realm of tech-death but not comfortably making deathcore with groove like The Acacia Strain, so they got stuck somewhere between in the poor mixing of a lot of bands who didn't have the experience in both realms to hash out the whole thing.

It's a solid 35% album though.

P.S. everyone being dicks about it please shut the hell up, thanks.

Warlocks_amulet
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:46 am 

I couldn't make it past the first song.. It was just ... *vomit*

Seems you are alone, atleast 'round here.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:56 am 

That album was a travesty, and I don't consider myself much of a Cryptopsy fan since I only really like a couple albums from them. Friggen' Once Was Not was my introduction to the band and I'd take that dry album over this one. I remember the thread on this forum that showed Cryptopsy switching line-ups, getting a chick, and switching over. We were all going apeshit. Then it hit, and it was worse than we thought. Strained vocals, lackluster riffs, 'cored to the max, a complete under-utilization of a keyboardist (with wandering eyes) and no lasting impact. It's a bad album through and through. Not to mention the fact that Flo pretty much railed on the fanbase afterward. It's a start-to-finish mess of a poor product and containing the fallout afterward. There is no revisionism with The Unspoken King.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:07 am 

luxul wrote:
This whole album shouldn't even deserve the band-name "Cryptopsy" on the cover. As in, if this album was under a different band name, then this would only pass off as mediocre, at best. It's a mess.

It was indeed awful. I respect Cryptopsy's opinions if they do indeed like that type of stuff, but if they were going to record it, they should have made it a side project.

Regardless of the band name on the spine, TUK is horrendous. That is just my opinion, though.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:19 am 

Nah man, I'm with you on it. I really like it, and everything after it. I also liked None So Vile, Whisper Supremacy, and And Then You'll Beg. Blasphemy Made Flesh was alright, but Once Was Not wasn't my fancy.

I think everyone should just get along and show each other some love. Can't we like it all?

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:23 am 

In a word, yes.

Menternor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:34 am 

No, but you may as well be, considering how few people do like it.

Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:06 am 

As a stand alone album, it's an enjoyable deathcore album. Although comparing it to cryptopsy's other works, it's awful. But I think people enjoy hating on it just for hate sake. I understand not liking it, but some people blow it way out of proportion

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:45 am 

I actually didn't mind the first three tracks, and I thought that if they kept that sort of quality throughout the album, it would be okay. However, "Bemoan the Martyr" got the mediocrity ball rolling, to which the album never really recovered from. It's a bit of a black spot in their discography, even if Once Was Not didn't rub me the right way, either.

Thankfully, at least for me, the self-titled has bought them back to the good side, and it's their best since Whisper Supremacy, in my opinion.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

By_Inheritance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:50 am 

Obviously you're not the only one. People here hate it and I hate it, but that doesn't mean other people don't like it. There's never and will never be an album that only one person in the world likes. I'm sure there are a lot of people who like it. The haters are a lot more vocal than the fans.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:34 am 

Yeah, not an ounce of deathcore. Not a tiny little bit. Keep telling yourself. I wonder, though. If you really think it is good, why the need to deny its real nature?

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:47 am 

While I don't like TUK, I don't think it's an horrible abomination on the ears, either. To me, it's just mediocre... So yeah, there are a lot of deathcore influences, but I generally like deathcore, so that's not really a problem for me. The songwriting is. It's uniformly pretty lame and not up to the standards set by None So Vile... but honestly, nothing done by Cryptopsy reaches the heights of that record.

I'm not even sure if I like TUK less than And Then You'll Beg, which was also severely disapointing and... uhm, what's the word. Confusing? Strange? Too strange for its own good.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:29 am 

No you're not. My old housemate loved it. He told me it was his favourite Cryptopsy record, so go figure. He also loved Cradle of Filth, for what it's worth.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:57 am 

Well I love Cradle of Filth too but that doesnt mean I'm drooling over Unspoken King

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:02 am 

Maybe you should be?

Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:10 am 

But why in hell would I want to do that?

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:07 pm 

No, you're not the only one that likes TUK...

psychosisholocausto and tiggity wrote positive reviews of the album.

There are many other people who like it that don't post on these forums - scenekids mainly, since that's the demographic TUK appeals to.

I like deathcore and metalcore, but TUK even fails in that regard. Couple that with the overall negative disposition many folks here on MA have toward metalcore/deathcore, and you can see why TUK wouldn't have been very well liked.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:28 pm 

Goatfangs wrote:
There are many other people who like it that don't post on these forums - scenekids mainly, since that's the demographic TUK appeals to.

No, it's not.

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:38 pm 

From what I remember of it, it was a pretty decent album as far as deathcore goes. Certainly not as good as their earlier works like None So Vile, but it works pretty well as a more technical version of Suicide Silence's debut album. Honestly, though, you'd think after hearing people talk about it that it sounds exactly like Brokencyde, when really it's pretty blatantly metal-influenced and riffy as far as deathcore goes. I get the feeling that the overall reaction to The Unspoken King is, at least to some extent, a knee-jerk response - there is no way you could possibly construe the album to be the worst thing to ever exist unless you listen to it while comparing it to Blasphemy Made Flesh and count points off of it for every non-BMF thing that it tries to do.

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:42 pm 

Indecency wrote:
Goatfangs wrote:
There are many other people who like it that don't post on these forums - scenekids mainly, since that's the demo
graphic TUK appeals to.

No, it's not.

I find that statement rather interresting. Either you're trying to say that TUK is an album that wouldn't appeal to scenesters regardless of its quality, or its an album that fails to appeal to the deathcore crowd because of its lack of quality (and thus validating a lot of popular bands of that genre).

As I take it, TUK is an album that could appeal to metal- and deathcorefans (and of course to people who like both styles or even regard deathcore as another subgenre of metal, like me), but fails in doing so because of its subpar execution.

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:50 pm 

Deathcore fans don't tend to be the kind of people who will listen to bands that are removed from the genre's scene, so since Cryptopsy were never really that heavily involved in it they probably went unnoticed by the sort of people they were trying to appeal to. Kind of a lose-lose situation for them - not deathcore enough to get the deathcore fans wet, and simultaneously getting shit on by metalheads for including a handful of deathcore influences which were, in the grand scheme of things, rather minute.

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:56 pm 

MalignantThrone wrote:
Deathcore fans don't tend to be the kind of people who will listen to bands that are removed from the genre's scene, so since Cryptopsy were never really that heavily involved in it they probably went unnoticed by the sort of people they were trying to appeal to.

That's so weird to me... one would think that people who are heavily into deathcore would be equally heavy into death metal, for there are overall a lot of aesthetic similarities in those genres.

I don't get this "scene" way of thinking at all.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:00 pm 

I find it fairly funny that everyone considers TUK to be Cryptopsy's ultimate downfall when they released a couple albums just before that which I consider rather poor.

In any case, MT nailed it. It's not a terrible album, but it really doesn't realistically appeal to any crowd it was made for. Not an utter failure, but not even decent either. It's probably a 35-45 for me.

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:03 pm 

Peroy wrote:
That's so weird to me... one would think that people who are heavily into deathcore would be equally heavy into death metal, for there are overall a lot of aesthetic similarities in those genres.

I don't get this "scene" way of thinking at all.

Well, "deathcore" as it exists today is dissimilar to death metal in pretty much all ways but actual sonic intensity, with your average deathcore band being downtuned chugging devoid of traditional melody, as opposed to those sweet, sweet "riffs" and "atmospheres" which are typically what death metal fans value. I've tried showing death metal to deathcore fans, their usual reaction is something along the lines of "it doesn't have enough breakdowns" or "it's not catchy enough", which just goes to show that the genres typically aim for two entirely different things.

This, of course, brings up the interesting point of discussion as to how a deathcore fan would react to, say, Jungle Rot or Six Feet Under or another equally stupid death metal band, but I guess that's a topic for another thread.

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:14 pm 

For me, the starting point are the vocals, then comes the musical windowdressing...

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:32 pm 

MalignantThrone wrote:
This, of course, brings up the interesting point of discussion as to how a deathcore fan would react to, say, Jungle Rot or Six Feet Under or another equally stupid death metal band, but I guess that's a topic for another thread.

Dude what are you on Jungle Rot are awsome!

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:33 pm 

I agree, but I meant stupid as in literally neanderthal-brained, not devoid of musical quality.

RacoCooper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:13 am 

From what I've heard of it, it's not as bad as people say it is.

It's definitely not as bad or embarrassing as Illud Divinum Insanus or St. Anger or any other notoriously bad album from a metal band.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:41 am 

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration wrote:
Well I love Cradle of Filth too but that doesnt mean I'm drooling over Unspoken King

Goatfangs wrote:

More or less this. I have the same impression of TUK.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:18 am 

RacoCooper wrote:
It's definitely not as bad or embarrassing as Illud Divinum Insanus or St. Anger or any other notoriously bad album from a metal band.

MUCH worse than either of those.

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:29 am 

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration wrote:
RacoCooper wrote:

MUCH worse than either of those.

I wished people would stop with this hyperbole. I've listened to all of those ten or so "notoriously bad albums" of metal (you know, "St. Anger", "Illud...", "Cold Lake", "Soundtrack...", "TUK," "Promise", maybe "Virtual XI", and I'm sure there are three or four more of those that just don't come immediately to mind) and let me tell you something... they're not the worst things metal has to offer. Not by far. I'd label most of them as just "average, but disapointing".

"Promise" is probably the worst of those, and even that one is not totally unlistenable. Baffling as hell, yes, but not the biggest piece of shit ever... and neither is any other of those records.

Gotta keep things in perspective...

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:08 am 

Cryptopsy has been on my 'to get into' list for so darn long now and I find the controversy tremendously amusing. Hyperbole aside, it is okay to like a controversial album. I have all Morbid Angel's stuff and do genuinely enjoy Illud. More notoriously though, I genuinely enjoy American Soldier, and that's a record presently sporting the same average review score (21%) as The Unspoken King.

Cold Lake is not exactly cancerous, either.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next