Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:32 am 

Anyone else noticing an abundance of different using writing reviews lately? Maybe I haven't been paying as much attention to the reviews lately (aside from my own), but when I do browse through the new reviews, I see a ton of different authors.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:05 pm 

I've seen it, too, but it's good to have new people that feel the need to review. Of course, the ones that demonstrate quality writing are the ones I would hope carry the flame for us burnout oldies.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:48 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
I've seen it, too, but it's good to have new people that feel the need to review. Of course, the ones that demonstrate quality writing are the ones I would hope carry the flame for us burnout oldies.

I wrote some in college that now seem pretty lame. I'm glad I finally got back into it though... It's a blast to force my opinions on the masses!

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:18 am 

I would like to start writing a few reviews again but I'm just so terrible articulating what I think into words that it's not worth the effort, and the end result sucks.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:23 am 

I'm going to try to write a review for either Symphony X's 'V - The New Mythology Suite' or Shadow Gallery's 'Tyranny' soon. I'm leaning towards the latter, since I feel that this band needs more love. I'll try to make these reviews worth reading. =D

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:52 pm 

Thiestru wrote:
...Shadow Gallery's 'Tyranny' soon. I'm leaning towards the latter, since I feel that this band needs more love. I'll try to make these reviews worth reading. =D

I think that's a great idea. Shadows Gallery definitely needs more love... I love Symphony X, but apparently a lot people felt the need to review their material.

GuardAwakening
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:37 am 

I know a guy who I have a hate-like enjoyment for his reviews, he reviews similar stuff to mine but I'm not going to name his name.

He pissed me off a few times because there was even one instance where I wrote a good, detailed, praising review for an album where I was the only reviewer for it and then he bombed on it with an absolute 0% score with a bunch of bullshit complaints that in no way explained why it should have gotten the lowest score possible.

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:04 am 

Don't worry, nobody else likes DomDomMCMG either. :P

GuardAwakening
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:34 am 

MalignantThrone wrote:
Don't worry, nobody else likes DomDomMCMG either. :P

:lol: I was gonna ask how did you know it was him, but then again, let's not...

Rodak
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:19 am 

Am I in the minority in the belief that all the reviews are in serious need of editing? Way too long, I can't imagine anyone outside the band/label actually reading it in full. Or at least reading it carefully.

Edit, to be on topic:
Autothrall is clearly light years ahead in the review skill department. While I do not seem to share the same tastes or agree with him at all, one can get a sense of what the music actually sounds like. And that is all one can really ask from a review, no?

Annnd:
I'd say that Asag Asakku (Metal Obscur) is superb at transfering sound to word. AND generally keeps things at a proper length.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:04 pm 

I partially agree with you. Reviewers like autothrall and Asag Asakku are great at writing concise reviews that convey what the music sounds like in a shorter version. UltraBoris was also great at this, even if his approach was slightly more comical. A lot of long winded reviews, such as Napero's recent Sabaton review or some of the old greats (OlympicSharpshooter and Aeturnus65 in particular) use more words and more description to get thier exact take on a certain album. If you're really passionate (either gushing or hate) about a certain album, you tend to use more words.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:18 pm 

Asag, in my opinion, is not quite good at musical descriptions. He paints short portraits and it's always the same thing and formula. I had an argument with him considering the grammar and he decided to stop posting his reviews since they were usually translated by Google and they're a bit better in French.

I prefer the long, artsy and often funny reviews of Napero or Acrobat myself and I dislike the promotional tone of Autothrall.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:20 pm 

Autothrall is great when he's reviewing stuff because he really feels passionate about it, rather than because a promo was sent to him.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:29 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Autothrall is great when he's reviewing stuff because he really feels passionate about it, rather than because a promo was sent to him.

Agreed. You can easily tell which reviews he actually stands behind in terms of his own interest and why it's something important to him.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:30 pm 

I feel the same way about some of my reviews though, especially the ones for the zine. On occasion, I find an amazing album that I get to review or one that I exceptionally enjoy, which works a little better for me. The regular, run of the mill reviews seem slightly mechanical to me, especially my own.

Now if it’s something I utterly despise or thoroughly enjoy, that’s a completely different story.

DarkWolfXV
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:24 pm 

I love reviews of MutantClannfear, and his unpopular opinions, and the fact he gave Waking The Cadaver a 90% (Actually a 89%).
Autothrall is great too but i feel butthurt that he gave Blasphemy Made Flesh a 65%.

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:27 am 

DarkWolfXV wrote:
I love reviews of MutantClannfear, and his unpopular opinions, and the fact he gave Waking The Cadaver a 90% (Actually a 89%).

Well that's a first. :P Anyways, thank you!

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:59 pm 

He's like Noktorn 2.0! I mean that in the best way possible.

On the subject of that WtC album, I have a sneaking suspicion that everyone who gave it a 0% has not actually heard a slam record prior to reviewing it.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:15 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
On the subject of that WtC album, I have a sneaking suspicion that everyone who gave it a 0% has not actually heard a slam record prior to reviewing it.

And I have a sneaking suspicion that that's a load.

Obligatory Last FM Link

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:08 pm 

It's really a pretty straightforward slam album apart from the (extremely minute and horribly overstated) deathcore influences and the extra beatdown hardcore influence, intrinsic to the New Jersey scene of death metal, which gives it the "wiggery" sound. I bet most people writing reviews for that album and calling it the "worst album ever" would revise their statements were they to dig around in the slam scene and discover that there are dozens of bands equally as esoteric, tasteless and trashy. They don't hate Waking the Cadaver, they hate brutal death metal.

Last edited by MalignantThrone on Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:12 pm 

Eh, I'm not sure about that. I'd be willing to bet that most of the reviewers slamming WTC enjoy some brutal DM or slam, or at least have more experience than what they lead on. Then again, Waking the Cadaver was the moving target of MA reviews for a long time; the "The Unspoken King" bandwagon bukkake tsunami before "The Unspoken King," if you will. There's a good chance I'm wrong. :lol:

Obligatory Last FM Link

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:21 am 

I'm sure there's a lot of the same people who do like Defeated Sanity or early Devourment.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:22 am 

Yeah, whereas Devourment is simply spastic and essentially worthless, WtC rubs the annoyance in your face to extreme degrees. I like a bit of BDM, but not that cretinous, insipid tripe.

Totallly brainless slam can be fun occasionally, but not Waking the Cadaver.

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:22 pm 

Early Devourment I'll maybe believe, but Defeated Sanity hardly screams as an indicator of one's tastes being firmly entrenched in brutal death metal. There's a reason they're so unanimously loved, even outside of BDM circles, and that's because they're more like a heavier Suffocation than actual slam. They incorporate OSDM riffs and other elements which deviate from the typical formula. They don't count - it'd be like justifying your hatred of Deathspell Omega by saying that you're a big fan of later Dimmu Borgir. Not that the latter is necessarily watered-down in and of itself, but it waters down and repurposes the elements found in the former.

Basically, no, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the average Defeated Sanity fan who disliked WTC did so out of a general aversion to slam, because that band's outside influences attract a lot of people who wouldn't be remotely interested in the slammy parts alone.

Bubonic Metal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:50 pm 

I don't have anything against certain reviewers but I do GET TIRED of seeing some pointless, bashing reviews. Reviews shouldn't be a chore or a job but a review should be submitted by someone who has something good to say about a band and what the band does right. I believe reviews should have likes and dislikes to give a glimpse of their accuracy to our community as a whole. If you wan't to read more in depth about what I think they should do to reviews, go to my thread I posted in the suggestion forums.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:35 pm 

Bubonic Metal wrote:
I don't have anything against certain reviewers but I do GET TIRED of seeing some pointless, bashing reviews. Reviews shouldn't be a chore or a job but a review should be submitted by someone who has something good to say about a band and what the band does right. I believe reviews should have likes and dislikes to give a glimpse of their accuracy to our community as a whole. If you wan't to read more in depth about what I think they should do to reviews, go to my thread I posted in the suggestion forums.

Ok, you've made your point: negative reviews are bad, maaan... Why negative vibes, can't we all be friends, and, like, universal love, dude? Why say bad things, wear flowers in your hair!

Or, the same thing in other words, there are no losers, someone just finished and won last, and he's still going to get a trophy for participating. No child left behind. It's all subjective anyway, so why pay attention to the negatives? No, they are not needed;if you don't like Parkway Drive, just shut up, no one is interested in your opinion, not being nice is not nice. Someone might get his feelings hurt, and that could be someone who really, really likes the band and stuff, and it might spoil his day.

Get over it, dude. You'll do better on Amazon of Facebook, obviously.

~Guest 302292
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:48 pm 

Honestly, no.
I think autothrall, Noktorn, hells_unicorn and maybe even Left Hand Ov Dog are absolutely wonderful reviewers. Short, yet detailed, and they have a certain flare in their writing that makes them entertaining.

Varth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:30 pm 

Most of the time the only reviews on a lot of albums I like are by Autothrall, and I agree with them 80% of the time. I want to try my hand at it some day but it has to be done right. Noktorn is pretty good too, I haven't noticed any other names.

I am guilty of enjoying the shit out of negative reviews more than the positive.

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:40 pm 

I think authothrall is a pretty good reviewer but I heavily disagree with many of his reviews and I think he's a bit too liberal with the 100%'s and 0% but he's pretty good at articulating his opinion and if nothing I respect his opinion. I findthe odd review to be a bit poor, but you're bound to have a few misses here and there when you're as prolific as him.

~Guest 302292
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:07 pm 

SadisticGratification wrote:
I think authothrall is a pretty good reviewer but I heavily disagree with many of his reviews and I think he's a bit too liberal with the 100%'s and 0% but he's pretty good at articulating his opinion and if nothing I respect his opinion. I find the odd review to be a bit poor, but you're bound to have a few misses here and there when you're as prolific as him.

Considering that he has well over 3,000 reviews and only 50 of those are 100% and 13 of them are 0%, I wouldn't say that he's too liberal about it. And even if he is, he's not nearly as bad as most of the other sub-standard reviewers who give a 100% to an album they've only heard twice.

~Guest 321697
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:43 pm 

bitterman does nothing but hate on everything. Fuck that guy.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:09 pm 

I personally like Autothrall's reviews mainly because he has a good way of describing how you feel when you listen to the album and what the music actually sounds like, without showing off his vocabulary and not making sense. I always get so annoyed when these reviewers go off tangent and write a novel instead of a review. They always say things that don't even make sense and don't even relate to the album to the point where you think they're saying all of that to make themselves sound smart. Look bro, it's cool that you have a bigger vocabulary than Portal, but what the fuck are you SAYING?

In terms of bad reviews, I've sort of started writing more reviews lately and I never review things I dislike mainly because the way I see it, if I don't like it then why would I waste my time listening to it enough to write a review on it? I can only really picture myself writing a negative review if it's an album I had really high expectations for and was severely let down. Then again though to me it's just a hobby, something I sort of started doing purely because of this site - I just want to give my 2 cents, that's all.

EDIT: If anyone is bored, would they mind give a couple of my reviews a read and offer some constructive criticism? It's just a hobby for me, but I still want to be better at it and I don't want them to sound redundant at all. Thanks in advance!

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:21 pm 

FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
EDIT: If anyone is bored, would they mind give a couple of my reviews a read and offer some constructive criticism? It's just a hobby for me, but I still want to be better at it and I don't want them to sound redundant at all. Thanks in advance!

Check out the Review Feedback Workshop thread. A lot of people have received a lot of generally good advice on making their reviews better.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:39 pm 

TheStormIRide wrote:
FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:

Check out the Review Feedback Workshop thread. A lot of people have received a lot of generally good advice on making their reviews better.

Ah, will do. Thanks!

sourlows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:56 pm 

flaccid_sphincter wrote:

I don't even like Surgical Steel (its still better than 0% unless you approach it from the same brain-dead perspective he does... Lulu is an actual 0% album imo) but the guy exists for pretty much one reason made clear in his profile: "Metal died in 1993. Only 12 good albums have been released since then (most of them in 1994, being already recorded by 1993)." Every time I read that I laugh quietly to myself and it makes his reviews more amusing.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:10 am 

sourlows wrote:
flaccid_sphincter wrote:

I don't even like Surgical Steel (its still better than 0% unless you approach it from the same brain-dead perspective he does... Lulu is an actual 0% album imo) but the guy exists for pretty much one reason made clear in his profile: "Metal died in 1993. Only 12 good albums have been released since then (most of them in 1994, being already recorded by 1993)." Every time I read that I laugh quietly to myself and it makes his reviews more amusing.

I just checked that out now... is he only here to shit and rage on any album made after 1994? Literally every review is 0 other than 4, which are 10, 10, 10 and 20. Prove to us what makes an album GOOD for once.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:37 am 

Bitterman is probably just feeding off of negative attention. I wouldn't be surprised if he lurks the forum to see his name and if he spots all the hate towards him gets all warm and fuzzy.

deathofnoobs
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:02 pm 

Most of the reviews are below average and driven by emotional criteria and objectivism. This site is only good as an archive. Whenever i try to read some reviews, i can't stop laughing at what i'm actually reading. And i'm not the only one...

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:16 pm 

deathofnoobs wrote:
Most of the reviews are below average and driven by emotional criteria and objectivism.

You got that part wrong.

fallot
I'm not sexist, I have binders full of women friends!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:14 am 

AcidWorm wrote:
Bitterman is probably just feeding off of negative attention. I wouldn't be surprised if he lurks the forum to see his name and if he spots all the hate towards him gets all warm and fuzzy.

I see a variation of this post pop up nearly every time bitterman is mentioned. I got the opposite impression, whether he reads the forum or not I dont see any acknowledgment of it. These reviews are serious. They are not stone-faced professional serious, but the guy obviously means what he says about the albums he reviews. The personality in the reviews is exaggerated, their actual content is not. Also, he just seems to be reviewing what is on hand, some of the reviews are the only ones for the band, there does not seem to be any particular discrimination in targets that would show trolling intent. I used to think it would be great if he reviewed a good album, but then it occured to me that those already have plenty of reviews. I am sure you will see him turn over a new leaf as soon as an album is released that he loves.

Where does the impression that he lurks here to feed off hate come from?

deathofnoobs wrote:
Most of the reviews are below average and driven by emotional criteria and objectivism. This site is only good as an archive. Whenever i try to read some reviews, i can't stop laughing at what i'm actually reading. And i'm not the only one...

You know what is funny though? These user reviews are much better than the dreck from popular metal websites. I mean have you read MetalSucks or Invisible Orange lately? Chronicles of Chaos has turned to shit and they pretty much write the same 95-100% review you see for new, big name albums on MA for pretty much every band. Metal reviews are about the same level as videogame reviews, which makes sense, because metal has pretty much been coopted by nerds. When your major interests are anime, videogames and metal; when you are playing an anime MMO with slam blaring in your ears, you are probably an easily satisfied consumer.

(...and this is nothing against anime or videogames)

Last edited by fallot on Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next