* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MGSX666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:41 pm 

From their official Facebook
Quote:
Gutwrenching greetings, gore hungry earthlings!

Autopsy is set to defile the recording studio beginning April 1st, 2013 to lay down the tracks for their upcoming album "The Headless Ritual" for Peaceville Records. The band has their instruments set on kill and their newest batch of songs ready to come to unlife in order to crawl inside your skulls, lay their foul eggs and corrupt your very souls. Fantasy Studios is the place, Adam Munoz is the conduit and your ears and brains are the destination. Cover art has been painted by none other than the legendary Joe Petagno and it's safe to say he has outdone himself with this gruesome slice of horror.

Expect nothing less than the monstrous brutality that Autopsy has been known to offer. Laurels will not be rested upon, trends will not be followed and mercy will not be shown.

Mark your calendars for June and pick out a coffin to lie down and die in. Darkness and death await.....

All their stuff since the reunion has been top notch and I expect this to be no different.
Incantation for breakfast, fuck yeah. You wake up and then it's Onward to Chocula.

p0wnn00b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:13 pm 

I'm eager to see if they bring back their punk influence. I'd also love to hear bass as loud as it was on Severed Survival. High hopes for this album, and I'm sure it'll deliver!

I can't wait to see the artwork.

slayer85
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:20 pm 

This sounds interesting! Autopsy is a really good band also! Maybe I can get this on vinyl?

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:30 pm 

Even though my intuition tells me that this will be nothing less than another excellent album, I still have high expectations for The Headless Ritual - great title, too. Macabre Eternal was one of the strongest comebacks I could have hoped for with all of the expected traditional Autopsy elements present, and yet a rotting freshness of songwriting that could only come from a veteran band that is not only willing to appease fans of their formula but displays a time-worn appreciation for their own legacy. They didn't so much as go outside of the box as they expanded its borders. That sequential increase in quality from The Tomb Within (already a ripping handful of songs in their own right) to the full-length is the kind of progression I'm hoping for with this new album. It's not going to be "Macabre Eternal II" the same way the last album didn't merely mimic their early albums, nor do I want it to be.

There's something to be said as well for their timeliness in getting their material out since they've returned. From the studio at the beginning of April to our hands before the end of June? That's not fucking around. They're going in fully-prepared and rehearsed and retaining continuity with their producer and studio of choice and even have the artwork already completed. Granted, Autopsy's never been the most complex death metal to produce and has never required overt amounts of studio magic, but it really shows how after all these years and all these advances in technology how bands and labels can STILL take months between pre-production and an actual release date because of incomplete songwriting, in-studio squabbles, unnecessary promotional bullshit, and so forth.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:47 pm 

I'm excited, hopefully it'll be shorter though.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:54 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
I'm excited, hopefully it'll be shorter though.

My thoughts exactly. Macabre Eternal was great, but overlong. Songs such as Sewn Into One and Spill My Blood could've been left out without damaging the album's overall quality. Also, I have said this before, and I'll say it again; another epic in the vein of Sadistic Gratification would be massively cool.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:50 pm 

Yep the 70 minute run time was the only negative about the album. And agreed a massive torturous epic would be greatly appreciated.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:22 am 

Good news, but like others have said, this better be shorter than Macabre Eternal

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:27 am 

Macabre Eternal sounded like they were just warming up, so to speak, so I've got high hopes that this can be just that little bit better.

g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:05 pm 

excited for this, really enjoyed macabre eternal.

Conservationism
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:07 pm 

p0wnn00b wrote:
I'm eager to see if they bring back their punk influence.

Wasn't that what Abscess was for?

Death metal absorbed punk and turned it into something else. "Going punk" is as fake as putting a disco track on there.

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:01 pm 

Conservationism wrote:
"Going punk" is as fake as putting a disco track on there.

Wut? Not at all....lots of death metal has some punk influence. Hardcore punk was like a huge influence on extreme metal n shit....

Anyway, I'm excited about this. I like the album name, one of the better album names recently, as some of them have been pretty shitty as of late. I agree with those saying that this album should be shorter, since Macabre Eternal did have a bit of filler on it and trimming the fat would be much appreciated.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:29 pm 

New Autopsy? Hell yeah! Can this band ever do wrong?

I'd love to hear some more really slow, doomy music than we had on Macabre Eternal, which was more the sibling in character to Severed Survival in being all catchy and driving at mid to fast pace. What would be good now is something akin to Mental Funeral, their other great classic.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Cloud0129
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:51 pm 

Quote:
Autopsy is set to defile the recording studio beginning April 1st, 2013

Please don't be an April Fools joke.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:13 pm 

p0wnn00b wrote:
I'm eager to see if they bring back their punk influence. I'd also love to hear bass as loud as it was on Severed Survival.

Fucking this, specially the bass part. Loved it on SS

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:44 pm 

DrummingEdge133 wrote:
Wut? Not at all....lots of death metal has some punk influence. Hardcore punk was like a huge influence on extreme metal n shit....

Did you not read his entire post?

Anyways, Autopsy never lost their punk influence, so I don't know what some of you are on about. Maybe you guys meant to say you wanted to hear a stronger punk influence in their sound? If that's the case, listen to Abscess or actual punk rock...?

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:33 pm 

Dragunov wrote:
DrummingEdge133 wrote:

Did you not read his entire post?

Yes, I did. And?

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:00 pm 

As per the band's official FB page, recording has already wrapped. Not surprised, really. I'm almost certain it only took Macabre Eternal that long to track, too.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:34 am 

Interesting. I'm quite new to Autopsy and I'm currently digging the fuck out of 'All tomorrow's funerals'.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:43 am 

DrummingEdge133 wrote:
Yes, I did. And?

Did you not gather that he knows death metal was influenced by punk, and that he knows the band has always had a strong punk influence? And that Autopsy "bringing back their punk sound" would be redundant as hell?

p0wnn00b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:48 am 

Dragunov wrote:
DrummingEdge133 wrote:
Yes, I did. And?

Did you not gather that he knows death metal was influenced by punk, and that he knows the band has always had a strong punk influence? And that Autopsy "bringing back their punk sound" would be redundant as hell?

We're still arguing about this? Christ! I didn't intend for this sort of nitpicking to happen. It doesn't matter, really, though. I just want to listen to something brutal.

I merely wish to hear Autopsy do something along the lines of Fiend for Blood and Acts of the Unspeakable, which, to my ears, had more of a hardcore punk influence than earlier albums and Macabre Eternal. If they do that: great. If not, I'm sure the new album will still slay.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:09 pm 

Release dates are June 24th, presumably in Europe, and July 2nd in the U.S.

EDIT: wyrocznia_gorlice was gracious enough to add the tracklist to the album on the band's M-A page.

1. Slaughter at Beast House
2. Mangled Far Below
3. She Is a Funeral
4. Coffin Crawlers
5. When Hammer Meets Bone
6. Thorns and Ashes
7. Arch Cadaver
8. Flesh Turns to Dust
9. Running from the Goathead
10. The Headless Ritual

The cover artwork by Joe Petagno:

Spoiler: show

Last edited by ModusOperandi on Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:33 pm 

That artwork makes absolutely no sense but it looks killer!

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:00 pm 

Wow. Just wow.
That was one horribly bad cover. Wow.
Doesn't matter though since I still would buy it if it just had two crossed forks on it. But wow that's bad.

enigmatech
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:30 pm 

The album cover is fucking awesome!!!! That's one of the coolest covers I have seen in a loooong time.

p0wnn00b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:41 pm 

I'm digging the cover. Then again, Autopsy covers never fail to deliver.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:46 pm 

The cover reminds me of one of those occult horror movie covers. It's not great, and it's a massive letdown after the exquisite artwork of Macabre Eternal, but it's decent enough. Actually, the longer I look at it the more I like it.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:53 pm 

I'm sure this will rape. I like the retro-horror vibe of the cover.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:04 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
The cover reminds me of one of those occult horror movie covers. It's not great, and it's a massive letdown after the exquisite artwork of Macabre Eternal, but it's decent enough. Actually, the longer I look at it the more I like it.

Yeah I have to agree. The longer I look at it, the less I'm annoyed with it. Doesn't touch Macabre Eternal though.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:14 pm 

It's reminiscient of Necrophagia's artwork on their more recent releases, and they've always been deep in old horror and occult imagery as long as they've been around. The songtitles seem just slightly more visceral this time and yet, very much Autopsy. Based on this info, I'm maintaining there's going to be something different with this album but nothing we wouldn't expect or not want. Guess we'll know for sure when we hear a song first but this is as good as purchased for me, at least.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:31 pm 

The new artwork isn't as good as Macabre Eternal's, but it has its charm. I'd expect something like that to be a poster for some obscure B movie that's so bad it's good (and judging by the interests of the Autopsy crew, such a thing is probably intentional), and the song titles are just pure Autopsy goodness.

This shit's gonna rule.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:14 pm 

I think it wiuld have worked as a retro horror cover if itwasn't so digital and shiny looking. And yeah the art it is following makes it look even worse.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:49 pm 

Yeah, I dunno what you guys are on about, that cover doesn't look like a retro horror movie poster at all. Too digital. Also, it's a mess with no rhythm. It's annoyingly unbalanced.

Music should be fine though.
Hehe, foreskins.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:00 pm 

Am I the first one to think that it's a lot of heads for a "headless ritual"?! :lol:

Seriously though, I expected a bit better in terms of cover art, especially because it definitely reminds me more of Necrophagia than Autopsy, as stated above. I loved the artwork for the DVD, which was really gory and more Cannibal Corpse than anything else. This one however is feeling even further departed from before. I'm all for horror and gore but I'd like for it to be a bit more... I don't know, "autopsiesque"?!

In other news, I so want an advance track for this one. FAST!!!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:15 pm 

Looks great, will be buying

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:47 am 

Horrible, horrible cover art. And not the deliberate kind of "horrible" in a death metal sense. Which is a pity, since the Macabre Eternal art was so epically good. I guess this is what Joe Petagno is up to in his post-Snaggletooth days, then.

Now excuse me while I give Mental Funeral another spin in preparation.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Lightsbane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:43 am 

The cover looks aweome. Kind of reminds me of Necrophagia's Holocausto de la Morte.

vk66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:44 am 

On the first look I like the cover but then again, it does not make sense to me. I know the album will however, counting down days.

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:18 am 

http://www.metalmaniacs.com/2013/autopsy-studio-report/

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:58 pm 

http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2013/ ... ch-cadaver - New song.. I love it

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next