* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:43 pm 

Doomed Cowboy wrote:
iamntbatman wrote:
I imagine you're going to have a hell of a time finding folk/pagan metal without pagan lyrics.

Its got to be out there. The only reason 'pagan metal' became a genre is because of lyrics, which is honestly quite stupid.

Try Svarga from Russia. I haven't noticed any pagan lyrics, although I don't speak Russian. The band page says "Mythology, Fairy Tales".

Crick wrote:
The first one is silly because it's got such dainty eyelashes, yet the guy is terrified. NOT THE MASCARA, CTHULHU! ANYTHING BUT THE MASCARA!

Doomed Cowboy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:45 pm 

Svarga is too oompahish for my taste. And that singer's voice is so cheesy.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:06 am 

Cthulhu_Fhtagn wrote:
Try Svarga from Russia. I haven't noticed any pagan lyrics, although I don't speak Russian. The band page says "Mythology, Fairy Tales".

I figured Svarga would be too pagan for them, given that Svarga is a heresy rivaling the Christian heaven :P

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:08 am 

Doomed Cowboy wrote:

cheesy? they're not exactly Judas Priest. oompahish...I don't even know if that's a word.

so you basically don't want any of the vocals that are characteristic of folk metal?

Doomed Cowboy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:27 pm 

Erotetic wrote:
Doomed Cowboy wrote:

cheesy? they're not exactly Judas Priest. oompahish...I don't even know if that's a word.

so you basically don't want any of the vocals that are characteristic of folk metal?

I wouldn't call Priest cheesy...

I'm picky about vocals for everything, but I'll say I just don't like that specific singer. He sounds kind of goofy.

Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:43 pm 

Maybe too Russian for you?

Crick wrote:
The first one is silly because it's got such dainty eyelashes, yet the guy is terrified. NOT THE MASCARA, CTHULHU! ANYTHING BUT THE MASCARA!

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:56 pm 

Cthulhu_Fhtagn wrote:

lol, could be, eh.

wonder if he finds this guy too "cheesy"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBcoil8XQks

IdiotFlesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:08 am 

Sorry if this has been asked before, and I'm sure it has, but the search feature on this board is pretty useless if you ask me. What exactly is Viking Metal and is it any different from Folk Metal? (and are genres proper nouns? I'm not always sure).

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:01 am 

Viking in my opinion needs to be from Scandinavia (a Viking Brazilian band? LOL, I would use "pagan" instead). It's usually less cheesy and folky than folk metal and it has strong pagan black metal influences. Early Enslaved is Viking Black Metal. It's basically later Bathory influenced metal. Viking needs to be capitalised obviously since it's a noun while "folk" isn't and I dislike to capitalize genres. I personally dislike to use the tag and often remove it from submissions.

Folk metal on the other hand is more influenced by power metal and melodic death and it's usually more melodic, cheesy and D&D/LARPish. Some black metal influenes could still be present such as Finntroll. It's a huge mixing pot of influences though and it's hard to truly define it.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:42 am 

Depends who you ask. "Folk metal" is really nebulous and can refer to pretty much any metal band that includes even the slightest amount of folk music influences.

"Viking metal" is a lot more narrowly defined, though: like Tony said, it's basically metal that takes strong influence from viking-era Bathory (Blood Fire Death, Hammerheart, Twilight of the Gods, Nordlands). Like Bathory, it usually has strong ties to black metal, or sometimes doom elements. Enslaved get categorized as "viking metal" pretty regularly but it's a fairly subtle influence if you ask me, even at their most "viking." Check out Falkenbach, Ereb Altor, Voluspaa, Myrkgrav, Forefather.

There's also Amon Amarth and some Unleashed material (and similar stuff) that's got viking themes but isn't really musically similar, so doesn't really deserve a "viking metal" tag even though some people will describe them as such.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:55 pm 

IdiotFlesh wrote:
Sorry if this has been asked before, and I'm sure it has, but the search feature on this board is pretty useless if you ask me. What exactly is Viking Metal and is it any different from Folk Metal? (and are genres proper nouns? I'm not always sure).

Folk Metal is just a very broad term, and it spans both main types of metal, heavy and extreme, and there is a great deal of overlap, so you'll get folk metal bands in all the genres, from power metal (e.g., Falconer/Mägo De Oz) to something like industrial (e.g., Tanzwut/In Extremo/Senmuth), and you might get black and pagan and power metal vocals in the same song. 'Viking metal' is one way of trying to narrow things down to a sub/sub-sub genre, just as you might hear someone say 'Celtic Folk Metal' or 'Pagan Metal', or 'Mittelalter'. whether or not they're good categories is open to discussion.

I wouldn't agree it needs to be from Scandinavia, since we're talking about a sound, not historical figures--if someone from Russia can make Celtic music as well as someone from France, who is to say it's not Celtic? I'd say Viking Metal originated in Scandinavia, and the term makes less sense when it's not Scandinavians, but if we're going to use the term to describe a sound, a genre, where the artist comes from is irrelevant.

I tend not to use the term at all. Usually, it refers to bands who play folk black metal or folk/black metal, i.e., black metal riffs with folk melodies, or black metal and the addition of other folk (or folk sounding*) instruments, either that instrument, the guitars, or both, using folk melodies, respectively, and I prefer these more frank terms for what they play--knowing a band is 'pagan black metal' tells you there are probably no flutes, but probably some clean vocals in the style of the country they're from; knowing they're folk/death tells you there will be a flute or violin or something of that nature, so if you want to get or avoid certain things, these are more useful than just 'cool names' like Viking metal (although I find 'pirate metal' and 'troll metal' quite useful for sub-categorizing certain melodic and vocal styles of folk metal). groups like Mithotyn and Thyrfing are what I'd consider viking metal, as well as Wolfchant and SatanaKozel, neither of which are Scandinavian. If it's used to describe melodic death or folk/melodic death groups like Amon Amarth or Svartsot, respectively, as well, then saying 'viking metal' begins to become a more vague statement. I'm inclined to call a band like Thronar 'viking metal', but, well... Pagan/Epic Folk/Melo-Death is accurate and much more helpful: anyone hoping for music with no clean vocals and no synth and lots of kick-ass black metal riffs like Mithotyn would probably rather not see these vastly dissimilar bands lumped in together, so I tend to prefer the latter.

*like using a keyboard synth for a woodwind sound.

Doomed Cowboy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:31 pm 

Erotetic wrote:
Cthulhu_Fhtagn wrote:

lol, could be, eh.

wonder if he finds this guy too "cheesy"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBcoil8XQks

Yeah, so add another note to my post, preferably not Russian. Ok?

~Guest 265447
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:19 pm 

IdiotFlesh wrote:

For me, are pretty much the same thing. Although this so called "viking metal" is more aggressive and black metal influenced, I rather put it as folk metal as well do the same with pagan, celtic, oriental, pre-hispanic or whatever you wanna call it metal. It's like a sub-sub-sub genre... stupidity on my opinion.

Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:05 pm 

Quote:
Yeah, so add another note to my post, preferably not Russian. Ok?

If you haven't looked up these, I recommend you check out In Extremo, Subway to Sally, Ignis Fatuu, and Ingrimm although they do deviate from folk metal at times (except for Ignis Fatuu, which stays folk). These all use bagpipes heavily.

Crick wrote:

Doomed Cowboy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:44 pm 

I knew In Extremo and Subway to Sally, I'll check out the others.

And it doesn't necessarily have bagpipes, I just used that post for the not anti-religous side of things.

Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:25 pm 

Doomed Cowboy wrote:
I knew In Extremo and Subway to Sally, I'll check out the others.

And it doesn't necessarily have bagpipes, I just used that post for the not anti-religous side of things.

In that case, I also recommend Svartsot, Svartby, Vanir, Leshak, Nekrogoblikon, Satanakozel, Beer Bear, and Korpiklaani (others will disagree with Korpiklaani though).

Crick wrote:

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:04 pm 

Cthulhu_Fhtagn wrote:
Svartby, , Leshak, , Satanakozel, Beer Bear.

all Russian.

Doomed Cowboy wrote:
add another note to my post, preferably not Russian

Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:36 am 

Erotetic wrote:
Cthulhu_Fhtagn wrote:
Svartby, , Leshak, , Satanakozel, Beer Bear.

all Russian.

Doomed Cowboy wrote:
add another note to my post, preferably not Russian

Although Svartby isn't very Russian, and they do not sing in Russian either. They are more like Finntroll.

Crick wrote:

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:31 am 

Cthulhu_Fhtagn wrote:
They are more like Finntroll.

true, but this guy doesn't seem to have much fondness for anything unorthodox, never mind the most off-the-wall stuff.

if I'm wrong, add Trollfest's last album to the Finntroll/Svartby list.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:42 pm 

Can some reccomend me some serious sounding, epic, sometimes somber pagan/folk metal? Musically it can be based all around the spectrum (without going into the industrial stuff). I like the more Celtic-oriented stuff but I am open to anything really. Just not happy sounding and without a very large emphasis on the folk instruments. Some of the stuff I like would include Skyclad, Skyforger, early Elvenking, Primordial, Mael Mordha, Manegarm, Falconer's folky material, Cruachan, Waylander, some Finntroll, Tyr. Some things like that are what I am looking for. Any reccomendations? I am looking for both new and old bands.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:45 pm 

Zdan wrote:
Can some reccomend me some serious sounding, epic, sometimes somber pagan/folk metal? Musically it can be based all around the spectrum (without going into the industrial stuff). I like the more Celtic-oriented stuff but I am open to anything really. Just not happy sounding and without a very large emphasis on the folk instruments. Some of the stuff I like would include Skyclad, Skyforger, early Elvenking, Primordial, Mael Mordha, Manegarm, Falconer's folky material, Cruachan, Waylander, some Finntroll, Tyr. Some things like that are what I am looking for. Any reccomendations? I am looking for both new and old bands.

Greetings Zdan, check out the recent debut from Scotland's Arsaidh, an excellent piece indeed.

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/%C3 ... 3540361500

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:04 am 

Zdan wrote:
Can some reccomend me some serious sounding, epic, sometimes somber pagan/folk metal? Musically it can be based all around the spectrum (without going into the industrial stuff). I like the more Celtic-oriented stuff but I am open to anything really. Just not happy sounding and without a very large emphasis on the folk instruments. Some of the stuff I like would include Skyclad, Skyforger, early Elvenking, Primordial, Mael Mordha, Manegarm, Falconer's folky material, Cruachan, Waylander, some Finntroll, Tyr.

I don't know well anything Celtic and somber that you don't already know, except maybe Himinbjørg's 2010 album. Aes Dana does Celtic black metal, it's fast harsh black metal, but the Celtic melodies are happy, so maybe the overall sound is in the ballpark of what you want, they're definitely not as happy as a group like Bran Barr. Heol Telwen is the same, but they do drop into some melodies more like Marțolea (see below) at times.

based on the list you give, I'm sure you'd enjoy Bucovina and Viter. you already know Empyrium, right? you may also like Midgaard's pagan neofolk album, Nachalo Vremen; their metal demo is also epic and should be enjoyed by fans of Tyr/Falconer/Skyforger/etc., but has no folk instruments, just the vocals.

any time someone says 'somber' I have to mention Marțolea
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJEcgt2RMas

another gloomy band is Tevana 3. the only 'folk' sound is that they use electric kantele instead of guitars.

I find Nezhegol' both somber and epic, though they don't use folk instruments, but I think the vocals may make up for it enough to be worth the mention. but maybe not... you didn't mention Bathory, who have epic and somber sounds, but also no folk elements except the pagan vocals.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqd7bnYdxmY

Tverd is epic as hell, and has the folk elements, any somber mood is really just that unique Russian sound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqw-OMvbM5s
Fferyllt is similarly epic, but has Celtic elements. this song get's fuckin epic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6Ycr6acXW8

Žalvarinis (very old defunct group now) are...I don't know if it's somber or just laid back. it's just not really in your face epic or somber, but somewhere in between. the 2002 album Ugnėlakis su Kūlgrinda is gorgeous.

if Falconer is folky enough for you, try DvärG.

for something more like Mael Mórdha, there's Libra and Valuatir. should have all the elements you want.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeD48MV5n9E

Zdan wrote:
Musically it can be based all around the spectrum (without going into the industrial stuff).

I can appreciate that, but if you're willing to give industrial a chance some day, check out Risha, MystTerra's 2013 album, and almost anything by Senmuth.

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:35 am 

Hi all, I am a delivery driver so I am always looking for more music and that goes along really well with driving and after spinning Ensiferum's Iron the other day, realized that that style goes swimmingly with driving.
The types of melodies, level of energy, and good production really make this great for me and I figure this style should work great even if its not like Ensiferum's in overall sound. I am new to folk/viking/pagan (thats not predominantely black metal) so feel free to give seemingly obvious suggestions. Thanks!

Ensiferum - Into Battle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iChvmZ_B3rc

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:57 pm 

STORMM wrote:
Greetings Zdan, check out the recent debut from Scotland's Arsaidh, an excellent piece indeed.

I second this, a really good album. Happy the dude left Falloch (worst band ever) and started this.

Anyone know of something similar to SIG:AR:TYR?

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:07 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
STORMM wrote:

I second this, a really good album. Happy the dude left Falloch (worst band ever) and started this.

don't know of anyone too similar, just others in the genre:

October Falls, Agalloch, Wolves in the Throne Room, Dysperium, Empyrium, Germanen Blut, Wyrd, Häive, Kehrä.

maybe you'd like the last two Thyrfing albums?

Dux_Saxoniae
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:01 pm 

I'm fully serious about this: do you know of Viking metal with Christian lyrics? Logically it might exist, since most Viking leaders were Christian towards the end of the Viking Age, and the 'Anglo-Saxon metal' offshoot has to deal with a period that is pretty much Christian in its entirety. I'm just not aware of any and would be quite interested in how they make it work. A strong black metal element is preferred, but not necessary. Thanks!

Doomed Cowboy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:49 pm 

Dux_Saxoniae wrote:
I'm fully serious about this: do you know of Viking metal with Christian lyrics? Logically it might exist, since most Viking leaders were Christian towards the end of the Viking Age, and the 'Anglo-Saxon metal' offshoot has to deal with a period that is pretty much Christian in its entirety. I'm just not aware of any and would be quite interested in how they make it work. A strong black metal element is preferred, but not necessary. Thanks!

Holy Blood is one, one of the most well known.

Oskord is from members of Holy Blood, but it is less Viking and a bit more straightforward folk metal.

Slechtvalk is another, although the later releases move away from Christianity.

There's some others, although it is a very niche group.

I'm interested in the Anglo-Saxon metal. I've only heard Forefather, and they have anti-christian lyrics, so I'm interested in what else lies within Anglo-Saxon metal.

Dux_Saxoniae
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:01 pm 

Doomed Cowboy wrote:
I'm interested in the Anglo-Saxon metal. I've only heard Forefather, and they have anti-christian lyrics, so I'm interested in what else lies within Anglo-Saxon metal.

Thanks for the recs :) On Anglo-Saxon metal, in ascending order of black metal rawness: Winterfylleth do a gorgeous sort of atmospheric black metal, especially on 2010's The Mercian Sphere. I put that album on whenever I travel across the Dark Peak to Manchester - it's perfect music for the mountains and valleys of northern England. (While they're pagan and nationalist, they've also adapted Christian poems.) Wodensthrone are similar both musically and lyrically - their first album, Loss, is quite raw and atmospheric, while Curse sounds a lot sharper. Both evoke a rainstorm. Iceni play pretty much straight-up second-wave black metal with Anglo-Saxon themes.

Doomed Cowboy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:17 pm 

Dux_Saxoniae wrote:
Doomed Cowboy wrote:

Thanks for the recs :) On Anglo-Saxon metal, in ascending order of black metal rawness: Winterfylleth do a gorgeous sort of atmospheric black metal, especially on 2010's The Mercian Sphere. I put that album on whenever I travel across the Dark Peak to Manchester - it's perfect music for the mountains and valleys of northern England. (While they're pagan and nationalist, they've also adapted Christian poems.) Wodensthrone are similar both musically and lyrically - their first album, Loss, is quite raw and atmospheric, while Curse sounds a lot sharper. Both evoke a rainstorm. Iceni play pretty much straight-up second-wave black metal with Anglo-Saxon themes.

Thanks. I'm not particularly fond of black metal vocals, but, as with death growls, some of them can come out really good. I'll look into.

Thanks for the recs.

LordTool
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:32 am 

dystopia4 wrote:

SIG:AR:TYR is to me a blend of Falkenbach, Primordial, Bathory and Agalloch. Theyre all big names so I guess you already know them. I'd be interested in more obscure ones as well.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:15 am 

Doomed Cowboy wrote:
Holy Blood is one, one of the most well known.

Oskord is from members of Holy Blood, but it is less Viking and a bit more straightforward folk metal.

Slechtvalk is another, although the later releases move away from Christianity.

this

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:28 am 

Dooders wrote:
Hi all, I am a delivery driver so I am always looking for more music and that goes along really well with driving

new Rotting Christ album!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:17 am 

Can anyone recommend some Mongolian-styled folk metal similar to Tengger Cavalry? That band is neat but I'd prefer one with heavier use of folk elements and, if possible, only throat singing or maybe limited use of black metal vocals. Sometimes Tengger Cavalry sort of gallop (hehe) all over their folk tendencies with too much in-your-face metal that doesn't really fit the aesthetic all that well.

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:27 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Can anyone recommend some Mongolian-styled folk metal similar to Tengger Cavalry?

I don't have their album (sadly), but Nine Treasures sounds like what you're looking for. Heavy use of folk elements. Very nice sound.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:50 pm 

Yeah, I saw that album due to kluseba's review of it. His review makes it sound...not so great....but he's also a pretty consistently awful reviewer, so maybe it's better than he makes it sound! I will check it out for sure.

Edit: I listened to some samples on YouTube and this band *does* sound entirely too much like Korpiklaani. Way too upbeat. I want something with those deep throat-singing vocals, lots of folk instrumentation and heavy (but not necessarily fast) guitar. Like a Mongolian version of the slower parts of Mael Mordha, if that makes any sense. More like Tengger Cavalry's "Blood Sacrifice Shaman" and less like their faster tracks.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:26 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Can anyone recommend some Mongolian-styled folk metal similar to Tengger Cavalry? That band is neat but I'd prefer one with heavier use of folk elements and, if possible, only throat singing or maybe limited use of black metal vocals. Sometimes Tengger Cavalry sort of gallop (hehe) all over their folk tendencies with too much in-your-face metal that doesn't really fit the aesthetic all that well.

Only one I can think of is Darkestrah, especially the earlier albums though the vocals are mainly black with throat singing here and there, great band all the same.

You might also fing Ego Fall of interest bro.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:20 am 

I know and like Darkestrah but they're mainly black metal with some folk metal from time to time. I listened to Ego Fall on YouTube earlier today...not really digging them at all. I guess what I'm looking for may not exist yet, haha.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:52 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
I know and like Darkestrah but they're mainly black metal with some folk metal from time to time. I listened to Ego Fall on YouTube earlier today...not really digging them at all. I guess what I'm looking for may not exist yet, haha.

Not.to worry mate. They were the only others I could think of. Tengger Cavalry are quite unique, I love the first few albums though one of the new ones he has released this year did not impresse that much. Have yet to hear the very latest.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:33 pm 

I read somewhere online (I think it was a comment by the official Tengger Cavalry YouTube account) that the new album is basically just a re-issue of the Black Steed album for a Western audience. I think it's basically just a re-arranged track order or something.

ZEROMETAL
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:13 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:

Here mate, you will enjoy The Nine Treasures. Very entertaining stuff which I don't think anyone knows here. It's metal tinged Mongolian folk music rather than Mongolian tinged metal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JK9NZW6haI

Far East metal? Oh yes. Click.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 42  Next