Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:25 pm 

KrongoggWarsong wrote:
Maybe you think early Soulfly was a pop band?

Soulfly were actually not added to the archives until quite recently. Their most recent album was the first release by the band to be considered predominantly metal by the Archives staff. A band cannot be added until it has a predominantly metal release, but it's non-metal material can be listed in the band's discography after it is accepted to the site.

So no, not pop, but unacceptable nu-metal.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Heliogabalus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:02 pm 

Hello, I'd know why Dampé's Keep (USA) is blacklisted. It's black metal and their first demotape was produced in 20 copies by Glossolalia Records:
http://glossolaliarecords.bandcamp.com/ ... amp-s-keep

Just curiosity, I didn't submit this band.

Thanks in advance :)

Sciera
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:38 pm 

According to the blacklist they're a cover band. The songs are based on soundtracks of Zelda games.
They are rather far from the originals, though, so this seem to me to be a debatable case. On the band's Bandcamp it's also implied that the originals were mere inspirations.

~Guest 152635
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:23 pm 

Alhadis has the tape and he said it credits the original composers as the composers of the songs. I deleted the band myself at first, but he restored it and then later deleted/blacklisted it again.

Heliogabalus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:53 pm 

Ok, I understood. Thanks!

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:29 pm 

What about Ech-Pi-El-Gog-Desecretus by thergothon? Why can't I add this as an album/demo? If "Dancing in the Realm of Shades" can be added as a non released demo then why can't I add Ech-Pi-El-Gog-Desecretus?

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:46 pm 

TheLoneForest wrote:
What about Ech-Pi-El-Gog-Desecretus by thergothon? Why can't I add this as an album/demo? If "Dancing in the Realm of Shades" can be added as a non released demo then why can't I add Ech-Pi-El-Gog-Desecretus?

If Dancing in the Realm of Shades was never released, a mod should remove it ...

Weltering_in_Blood
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:24 pm 

Why was FINAL DOCTRINE blacklisted? They're a black/death band (the name is taken from a REVENGE track) on Primal Vomit Records. I own the tape & sell it in my distro, pics and proof of physical existence can be provided. A track from their demo is on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5woys3yzVE

Seems meytal enough to me, what am I missing here? I did a forum search and could find no mention.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:30 pm 

It was blacklisted because it's not metal, I can't hear any metal riffs in this song to be honest. It sounds like a noisy crust band.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Weltering_in_Blood
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:34 pm 

I would respectfully disagree. I would say the main difference with other black/death or "war metal" bands would be the lack of solos, but the riffing itself is solidly in the black/death camp. I don't hear any crust influence at all to be honest.

elfstone321
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:43 pm 

Hi , mods

the band timo tolkki's avalon should be remove from the blacklist, since Cd has been released in some shops:

see on 15 may 2013 today (see release dates):
http://www.bengans.se/product.aspx?Curr ... tion=music

http://www.ginza.se/product/timo-tolkki ... 13/197946/

on 16 may:
http://www.nehrecords.com/NEWS/NEWS.html

on 20 may

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Land-New-Hope-C ... 413&sr=1-7

and several others , basically cd is out now, hope this help you

Last edited by elfstone321 on Wed May 15, 2013 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
clavdiomar
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:36 am 

we want to be in the presentation of this product, what we are doing is real and veins did our demo, we are working hard, thanks

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Death-in ... 4560266816
http://diosdeathinhabitoursoul.bandcamp.com/

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:16 am 

Obscurum wrote:
TheLoneForest wrote:

If Dancing in the Realm of Shades was never released, a mod should remove it ...

Yeah, removed. Never heard of "Ech-Pi-El-Gog-Desecretus", but I assume it's a bootleg or unreleased recording. Only official releases (that have also been, you know, released to the public) may be added to the discography section.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:26 am 

Weltering_in_Blood wrote:
I would respectfully disagree. I would say the main difference with other black/death or "war metal" bands would be the lack of solos, but the riffing itself is solidly in the black/death camp. I don't hear any crust influence at all to be honest.

I really don't hear how "the riffing itself is solidly in the black/death camp", to be perfectly frank. Punk through and through. I agree with Tony, that one track is crust/grind.

@Avalon: Removed.

elfstone321
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:40 am 

ok, done, avalon submitted, thanks

Weltering_in_Blood
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:43 am 

Azmodes wrote:
Weltering_in_Blood wrote:

I really don't hear how "the riffing itself is solidly in the black/death camp", to be perfectly frank. Punk through and through. I agree with Tony, that one track is crust/grind.

@Avalon: Removed.

Fair enough... as someone who runs a metal label & distro as well as having been heavily involved in the punk scene for well over a decade, booking shows & writing for magazines & whatnot, I have to disagree, as I hear no punk at all, but rather lo-fi Revenge/Conqueror worship minus the distinctive solos. But in the end it's your call as to whether they're listed here, not mine. I will go on record, though, that I think you're quite incorrect in this case.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:49 am 

Okay, as the guy who originally blacklisted the band (mind you, I thought they were great) I can honestly say there were zero riffs in what tracks I heard. The vocals are punk, yes, but I'd pin this closer to noise than punk or metal. There's no riffs, and the guitars are mainly being used to provide a backdrop of distrotion/wall-of-noise... whereas Revenge, on the other hand, have actual riffs being play.

Weltering_in_Blood
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:51 am 

Alhadis wrote:
Okay, as the guy who originally blacklisted the band (mind you, I thought they were great) I can honestly say there were zero riffs in what tracks I heard. The vocals are punk, yes, but I'd pin this closer to noise than punk or metal. There's no riffs, and the guitars are mainly being used to provide a backdrop of distortion/wall-of-noise... whereas Revenge, on the other hand, have actual riffs being play.

Have you heard the whole tape or just the sample track on youtube? The tape has slightly more clear sound. I don't have the ability to upload it unfortunately, or even the know-how.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:54 am 

No, just the sample track.

If the rest of the tape sounds different to that track, we'll need song samples to know about it first. :p

Shadechaser
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:24 pm 

Bright!! While I was trying to submit a new band Enshine since May 12th, getting rejections with the reasons like "there's no evidence" and "wait until it's released and then resubmit"
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Enshine/3540364550
someone made it instead of me (May 14th)!
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Enshine/3540364642
Why?!

Sciera
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:39 pm 

14th? On that day that submission was rejected for the same reason as yours. He again submitted it then later that day and when someone looked at it the next day it was approved. He better should have waited until it really is the 15th, too, but seems like it wasn't noticed during the remaining 6 hours. You, on the other hand, were several days too soon and did only resubmit when the other entry was already approved.

Shadechaser
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:44 pm 

it isn't honest :fuck:

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:11 pm 

The guy who submitted it is from Germany, despite what the timestamp says it was May 15th in his time zone when he moved it to the queue. So what it comes down to is that both submissions were roughly equal in terms of completeness and history, but he was a bit faster in resubmitting on the correct date. Your submission was still a draft when his was resubmitted (and still when his was approved), i.e. not even visible in the queue. What do you want us to do? Should we have waited for you to resubmit? Why? Should we now delete his submission and approve yours? In what way would that be more honest/fair?

That's why you should always go with the release date. If there had been a submission by a third user, first submitted on the correct date, that one might have been picked instead. It's not always easy juggling multiple submissions for more popular bands and make everybody happy, but we have to pick one in the end.

METALSANDMETALS
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:18 pm 

I heard this band used to be on this website, but later were blacklisted. However, I'm surprised since the band sound metal enough to me. I mean yeah it's true they got some rather rock ballads like Far From Home, Remember Everything, Tragic Truth, etc. However, the band sound metal enough. I'll explain below.

First of all, I've heard many people call them a "metalcore" band. But obviously they're not even close to that. Since metalcore has stereotypical breakdowns, heavier hardcore influences and elements and stuff like that. Metalcore is like Killswitch Engage, Bleeding Through, Avenged Sevenfold, Unearth, etc but could also be bands like Hatebreed, Texas in July, Converge, Earth Crisis, Bury Your Dead, Integrity, I Am War, While She Sleeps, Emmure, Acacia Strain, etc. However since some think metalcore has both harsh vocals (growls/screams) and singing. FFDP just angrily yell then start singing. But that doesn't make them metalcore. I've heard Testament do some harsh growls then do thrashy singing. But Testament are thrash metal and are nowhere close to metalcore. I've heard a few call them a nu metal band. However that's ridiculous since they have no hip-hop/90s-alternative elements in their music which nu metal has and sound nothing like Korn, Limp Bizkit, OTEP, Dope, Crazy Town, Soufly, Sevendust, etc. Basically there are some bands that are way less metal such as Soundgarden (Grunge/alt metal) and Faith No More (Rap metal/alternative metal/experimental) who are on the site. However, FFDP are more of groove metal; like Pantera, A Perfect Murder, Hellyeah, etc. You can tell by the groove-heavy influenced and strong beats and heavy riffs, and angry vocals and stuff and thrash influences. (Although I wouldn't ever call this band thrash metal. Not all groove metal is thrash anyways). Although if you wanna hear their more metalest songs, try these.

[youtube]youtube.com/watch?v=FzaQHJtBQXk[/youtube]
[youtube]youtube.com/watch?v=P8XyvJ-4EXM[/youtube]
[youtube]youtube.com/watch?v=LIZvadTrK6A[/youtube]
[youtube]youtube.com/watch?v=0TbOPjEGWw4[/youtube]

These songs aren't on youtube so I listed them here:
Menace
American Capitalist

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:25 pm 

Sounds like mallcore a la 90s Soulfly with some added singing.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:28 pm 

" I've heard Testament do some harsh growls then do thrashy singing. But Testament are thrash metal and are nowhere close to metalcore."

:scratch: This has nothing to do with FFDP...and signing isn't quite important, the riffs are.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Stratovarius Shadowlord
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:04 pm 

I submitted a Japanese band called "電子音響音楽応用解析研究所", and I was told only 1 of their albums was original, and that the album wasn't entirely metal. While I agree that particular album wasn't entirely metal, most of their material is original, and they have released an album that I'd consider to be entirely metal.
This album http://vocadb.net/Album/Details/328 meets all the required criteria: It has a valid release, it's original, and it's metal. Why was I told it wasn't original?
And is this not considered metal here?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=en ... MQXoquMzS4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=eGH ... =endscreen

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:53 pm 

^The rejection message said that only one of the physical albums that was pictured seemed to be original. If that's incorrect, sorry, but I can't read Japanese and two of the three cover artworks from the pic matched up with releases that were labeled as "Rearranged anime music" on a sample page Metantoine linked me to. . The one original album pictured in your proof of physical release overall was not metal.

That first song is metal. The second song is not metal, it sounds like pop-punk riffing and the guitars cut out completely for several sections.

Stratovarius Shadowlord
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:25 pm 

None of the albums that were listed on the site as rearranged anime music were included in my submission other than in the proof of release images, I only sent those pictures because they were the only images of physical releases I could find. It's hard to find an image of a physical release, but all albums were sold as a physical release according to his website (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/ ... HGb_UOIJng)
Have you listened to the rest of the songs on the album? http://niusounds.bandcamp.com/album/made-in-akbn Are they considered metal?

Blake_Porter
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:27 am 

Why was The Descent of the Sun (Argentina) blacklisted frm MA? They are an ambient BM band that I was just about to submit.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:42 am 

They were judged to be more ambient than metal. If you disagree, post links to some samples from the release you think is metal enough.

NecroBones
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:17 am 

Hello,
I want to ask why the band Earth Divide from the Faroe Islands was blacklisted.
They're obviously metal, and have recently released a self-titled EP through TUTL records.

Some links:
http://www.tutl.com/shop/index.php?productID=682

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Otl2vJjgt8

Thank you.

Fulgurius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:32 am 

Azmodes wrote:
They were judged to be more ambient than metal. If you disagree, post links to some samples from the release you think is metal enough.

I might add that I've listened to no less than half a dozen of The Descent of the Sun's releases, and those that were released physically at the time (I think that was about two years ago) were more on the ambient side, while some of the download-only releases were borderline but maybe acceptable music-wise. Still, they are of shitty bedroom quality, and I wouldn't accept them as a valid digital releases. In other words, they can be reconsidered only in case they had some new metal material released on physical medium.

theunrelentingattack
Not yet ready for a custom title

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:38 pm 

I saw some posts from 2012 about gravesideservice being banned because they weren't metal enough - but a report was just filed and I figured I'd check it out. The last time this was mentioned people were asked to provide samples but it seems they gave up and never did - so back to them. Their first album wasn't really metal - their second and third are though - listen to Popes Pears (especially) and Fog - certainly much different than the debut album

http://gravesideservice.bandcamp.com/album/popes-pears

Can they be unblacklisted at this point?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:26 pm 

I have Popes Pears and thought it was decidedly unmetal. I don't remember any guitar being on the album at all actually.

theunrelentingattack
Not yet ready for a custom title

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:26 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
I have Popes Pears and thought it was decidedly unmetal. I don't remember any guitar being on the album at all actually.

Really? Did you listen to the one I linked to? Tracks 2 and 5 have guitar right from the start.
Could that be a re-record then? Either way, Fog even lists the guitar players on the page.

METALSANDMETALS
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:51 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
Sounds like mallcore a la 90s Soulfly with some added singing.

Nah it has no rapping, hip hop beats or anything. It's groove metal. It's more like hellyeah

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:15 pm 

Graveside Service - not predominantly metal, there's a bit of black metal but it's mostly ambient.
Earth Divide - Hardcore-based, not metal. Half of it is breakdowns.
FFDP - Don't even bother arguing.

Stratovarius Shadowlord wrote:
None of the albums that were listed on the site as rearranged anime music were included in my submission other than in the proof of release images, I only sent those pictures because they were the only images of physical releases I could find. It's hard to find an image of a physical release, but all albums were sold as a physical release according to his website (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/ ... HGb_UOIJng)
Have you listened to the rest of the songs on the album? http://niusounds.bandcamp.com/album/made-in-akbn Are they considered metal?

I'm inclined to say that it's not predominantly metal, while three of the six songs are metal, there's a pop punk song and two others songs that I wouldn't call metal. I'll see what other moderators think of it.

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:21 pm 

Just for reference, I'm wondering why "Haggis and Bong" have been backlisted since...I don't know when. I was guessing for because it wasn't metal enough. The 2012 release does have guitars...though I'm on the wall about it: https://soundcloud.com/haggisandbong
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:02 pm 

theunrelentingattack wrote:
iamntbatman wrote:

Really? Did you listen to the one I linked to? Tracks 2 and 5 have guitar right from the start.
Could that be a re-record then? Either way, Fog even lists the guitar players on the page.

I checked your link and that sounded *way* more guitar-based than my version (which, like I said, I don't think had any guitar at all). I'll give it a re-listen just to verify, but that would be really interesting if they added some guitar then released a different version of the album.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 210, 211, 212, 213, 214, 215, 216 ... 541  Next