Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
autothrall
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:58 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Burnyoursins, I wonder why you wanna met Autothrall? He would write 3 reviews while you're in the the pub with him.

Pssh...I hear you can distract him with a latte and a checkerboard.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:06 pm 

My band's guitarist used to know autothrall quite well for a period of time, actually.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:37 pm 

Burnyoursins wrote:
Man, I would love to meet a guy like BastardHead, or Autothrall. I bet they'd be a fucking good time.

Despite the stories I tell and the stupid things I say, I'm really not all that entertaining :lol:. I don't drink and I suck at small talk.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:44 pm 

You don't drink? What do you do to fill your downtime?

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:51 pm 

Starts with a "p" and rhymes with "forlorn".

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:02 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Starts with a "p" and rhymes with "forlorn".

Minus a syllable and all :-P

I went to college with one of the former reviewers here, but I haven't seen him around in a while (Aeturnus65). Actually it's been over two years. Time flies, doesn't it. I'm going to start posting when I go to shows, on the off chance that someone else is going. I frequent the Pittsburgh, Philly, Allentown, Baltimore quadrangle.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:05 pm 

Funny, I live in Pittsburgh. Maybe I'll see you at a show sometime.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:10 pm 

failsafeman wrote:

Did you go to the Marduk / Moonspell or the Katatonia / Devin Townsend show? If so, I was at both. I haven't really heard of any good shows coming through for a while.

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:11 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Burnyoursins wrote:
Man, I would love to meet a guy like BastardHead, or Autothrall. I bet they'd be a fucking good time.

Despite the stories I tell and the stupid things I say, I'm really not all that entertaining :lol:. I don't drink and I suck at small talk.

Hey man, as long as I'm drunk, we don't have a problem. *laughs* We could serenade each other with how much we hate that new Wintersun album. Eh? EH? Yeah.

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:31 am 

TheStormIRide wrote:
failsafeman wrote:

Did you go to the Marduk / Moonspell or the Katatonia / Devin Townsend show? If so, I was at both. I haven't really heard of any good shows coming through for a while.

Haha no, not really my speed. Last show I was at was at a little bar, saw Negative Plane / Derketa / Vomitor

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:58 am 

failsafeman wrote:
Haha no, not really my speed. Last show I was at was at a little bar, saw Negative Plane / Derketa / Vomitor

Well, if I hit any more local shows, I'll let you know. If anything good comes up and you think about it, shoot me a PM. Now that I'm finally working daylight, I can probably hit some more shows, since it's only like a two hour drive.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:44 am 

BasqueStorm wrote:
Not sure if this is the matter of the thread but is anybody going to this year's Hellfest?
It would be great to meet some of you!

Same this year! Anybody?
P.S: I have a 3 day ticket for sale too.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:49 am 

I only met Basquestorm and it was just a funny coincidence because this Basque bastard did a comment about my t-shirt(I think it was Satyricons´s Dark Medieval Times).

I dont think that there are more members of this forum in my area. During the first two weeks of August I will be in Stockholm trying to improve my shitty Swedish so I hope I can atend to some concerts and probably meet one of you haha.

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:40 am 

find me,
in every leaf that withers..
where my name is none.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:50 pm 

Yeah, I'm down with meeting just about anybody from here. I've met quite a few already, but you're all fine folk.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:21 pm 

Did you move to Ottawa yet, Derigin? If so, how ya likin' it?

As chance would have it, I'm probably going to be traveling up to Toronto from NY on a few occasions sometime later this year...thought it'd be neat to try and get over in the Montreal/Ottawa area while I'm up there, explore more of Canada and all. Meeting up with any of the Metal Brothers™ (and Metal Sisters™, sold separately) on that part of the earth's surface on such a trip would be most radical.

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:23 pm 

TheStormIRide wrote:
failsafeman wrote:

Godflesh is playing in September, and I think Volahn and Thou are playing at the end of this month if you're into that scene. I mostly frequent smaller hardcore punk shows, but I'll be moving to Pittsburgh in about two months, so maybe I'll see you folks around.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:38 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Did you move to Ottawa yet, Derigin? If so, how ya likin' it?

As chance would have it, I'm probably going to be traveling up to Toronto from NY on a few occasions sometime later this year...thought it'd be neat to try and get over in the Montreal/Ottawa area while I'm up there, explore more of Canada and all. Meeting up with any of the Metal Brothers™ (and Metal Sisters™, sold separately) on that part of the earth's surface on such a trip would be most radical.

I was looking for a good reason to wear non jeans pants in public so let me know!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:41 pm 

Haha, yes! We'll have to see how it all goes, really not certain when it would be, how realistic getting over to Montreal would be, etc. There isn't any sort of high-speed rail that connects those cities, is there? ;)

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:29 am 

Montreal is 6 hours away from Toronto by car. Train is probably a bit faster, but I doubt by much, and it's usually expensive. Sorry. :(

I'm going to NYC next week-end. I probably won't have time to meet anyone from M-A but I actually wonder if we have folks from NYC/Manhattan or Jersey City here? Can't think of anyone at the moment.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:48 am 

Under_Starmere, I'm moving to Ottawa at the end of the month. I'd be more than happy to meet you if you end up swinging by the city. :D

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:00 am 

Right on! Canadians are so xenial.

Morrigan, I'm pretty sure I'm one of the only people on the board that's in NYC. It's weird, you'd think there'd be at least a few. You coming here for a work thing?

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:19 pm 

BasqueStorm wrote:
BasqueStorm wrote:
Not sure if this is the matter of the thread but is anybody going to this year's Hellfest?
It would be great to meet some of you!

Same this year! Anybody?
P.S: I have a 3 day ticket for sale too.

I started this year's review:
http://viviendoapesardelacrisis.blogspot.com/2014/09/hellfest-2015.html

Paganbasque wrote:
I only met Basquestorm and it was just a funny coincidence because this Basque bastard did a comment about my t-shirt(I think it was Satyricons´s Dark Medieval Times).
I dont think that there are more members of this forum in my area. During the first two weeks of August I will be in Stockholm trying to improve my shitty Swedish so I hope I can atend to some concerts and probably meet one of you haha.

I can't remember this but I'm pretty sure it was an HORRIBLE shirt! :-P
LOL!

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:48 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Right on! Canadians are so xenial.

Morrigan, I'm pretty sure I'm one of the only people on the board that's in NYC. It's weird, you'd think there'd be at least a few. You coming here for a work thing?

Nope, kendo related. I didn't know you were in NYC! We probably won't have time to meet at all, but, well, anything I should know about NYC? :D

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:14 pm 

That's funny, I thought I'd mentioned living here enough times that you already knew. Kendo someone for the glory of the archives!

Hmm, what area are you going to be spending time in and how much time will you have? That really affects what I can suggest :). If you've never been to the Metropolitan Museum, I'd have to say it's worth your time. It's incredible...certainly one of my absolute favorite things about New York. One really fun thing on the west side of Manhattan is the High Line. It's an elevated park that winds through the Chelsea/Meatpacking districts (designed by reclaiming an old, abandoned elevated train line). A really cool piece of urban design that offers a unique walking-above-the-streets experience. Nice at sunset, especially.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:27 pm 

We arrive on the Friday 10th (evening) and leave on the 14th (morning or early afternoon probably since it's a long drive home). We'll have kendo practice on Friday evening, (probably) Saturday afternoon and (definitely) Sunday afternoon. So only Monday as a full day for sightseeing sadly.

Museums are cool but I'm not sure I'd be down for that with the time we have. The High Line sounds cool though, I'll definitely suggest it to my friends.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:00 pm 

Yeah! It's a good place for groups. Lots of fun for the whole (masked, robed, armed) family.

bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:28 pm 

I'm not sure if there are any other Clevelanders on here, but I'm down to do something.

The Red Snifit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:28 am 

Nvm

OneRodeToAsaBay
Unangeschnallt den Bullen reingefahren

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:22 am 

Since the last time I posted in this thread, I went to Wings of Metal in 2013 wherein I met quite a few of the MA montréalais and a handful of torontonians. Funds permitting, I think I'll be heading up there again in the next few years, whether for Wings or for some other fest. :)

Pittsburghers, columbusites, clevelanders--holla at ya girl! Over the last couple years, I've been mostly too broke/too much of a sad sack to go to very many shows (giant medical bills will do that to ya :( ) but I'm trying to get back into the swing of things over the last few months. Will definitely be going to Skullfest in august and am hoping to hit up Hells Headbash for at least a day or two in september. Wings of Metal is just a week after Headbash, and the tickets are long since sold out, but I'm still contemplating getting myself there by the seat of my pants...

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:25 pm 

I guess earlier on this page I'd mentioned that I don't drink, but that shit was two years ago and I'm no longer a boring dolt. And hey whaddaya know, there's like a 95% chance I'll be at the Gasthaus in Elgin to see some local death metal play in front of twelve people this Saturday. Ditheist is playing, you should come see them with me. They're rad. Smoking_Gnu is the vocalist. He's a lanky dork who doesn't know what to do with his hands but he's a nice guy who can growl. I haven't texted Erosion of Humanity yet, but he's also in the area and is my MA buddy when it comes to shows so there's always a chance he'll show up too. If you're in the area of the Chicago suburbs, you should totally come buy me some Jack & Cokes from the short bartender with huge boobs because she puts two and a half shots of Jack in each drink.

This is mostly because my girlfriend lives within walking distance of the venue and I want to get drunk and vomit on Gnu for free before stumbling home.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:40 pm 

Sounds like fun!

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:52 pm 

please do puke on him

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:53 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
This is mostly because my girlfriend lives within walking distance of the venue and I want to get drunk and vomit on Gnu for free before stumbling home.

I'd like to puke on him and get paid for it!

I'll soon add Derigin to my semi-impressive list of MAers I've met! :)

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:31 pm 

If BH does puke on the Gnu I promise to get full photographic evidence of the event (assuming I'm there) and post it here for all to see.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:05 pm 

Soon Tony. :D I'm looking forward to some poutine sometime, and perhaps a gig or two with you!

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:55 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
I'll soon add Derigin to my list of semi-impressive MAers I've met! :)

Pfftt... Meeting Derigin is so 2014.

Maniac Matis
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:51 pm 

So after knowing Diamhea via metal-archives and social media for several years now, I drove out to where he lives and finally met him in the flesh and we destroyed some weights at a local powerhouse together.

Confirmed: he eats and spits corpses.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Unng. I'm ThRoBing

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:29 pm 

Napero wrote:
Metantoine wrote:
I'll soon add Derigin to my list of semi-impressive MAers I've met! :)

Pfftt... Meeting Derigin is so 2014.

And 2016, hopefully! I'm in Ottawa now if anyone in the area wants to meet up, by the way!

It looks like we've had a couple gymbros meets recently. I met dystopia (he lives close to where I live now) and we've hit the gym a few times already. It's been good.

We're not that far from you and Diamhea, Matis. A 4-bro day is a possibility.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:33 am 

Since this thread is making the rounds again think I'll make a list of MA people I've met:

Metantoine - Some good (and, uh, interesting) times crashing at his mom's basement. Going to one of his barbeques is definitely a good idea if you're in Montreal.

Necrotocism174 - Really chill dude, always has an apple pipe at the ready.

IX Leviathan - Proof that the hipsters aren't all bad. Probably been to more shows with him than anyone else from this site.

Crick - A lot more normal than you'd guess from his internet persona, haha. Met him in Banff when we both happened to have moved out West for the summer to work shitty jobs.

Atrocious_Mutilation - A good guy to hang out with, but will give you a 4 hour lecture on Australian politics if you let him. Only dude from MA to ever crash at my place.

Rapethedead - Definitely one of the most chill and laid back people I've ever met.

Derigin - Just happened to move in basically right down the street from me the other week. We've hung out/went to the gym a few times so far, good times.

Also, I've met Alex who runs the Metal Observer. Not sure if he's ever had an account here or not, but I know he recruits reviewers from MA so I wouldn't be surprised if he did.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next