Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:45 am 

24th - 1st of July

NO SINGLES to eliminate lame dudes reviewing every Iron Maiden single or whatever.

THAT IS THE ONLY RULE. Review something no one's done before. What I suggest you all do is keep a simple tally here, as I'll be doing full time teaching and won't be able to process stats that well.

Looking forward to it! Let's keep it relaxed and not too aspergers based. I reckon 100 reviews would be a cool thing to aim for and if/when we beat that let's see where we are at and take it from there.

Cheers! :beer:

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Last edited by caspian on Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:17 am 

caspian wrote:
fingers crossed, no Hells_Unicorn

:lol:
About time for another one, I'm in.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:29 pm 

This was brought up a few months ago by the mods, and I've got to say that the only way I'd be in favor of it is if we just do the straight old school style like Casp is proposing, because that hybrid style we tried last year was a fucking trainwreck.

EDIT: Darn typos making it look like I'm blaming Casspian for things he had nothing to do with
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Last edited by BastardHead on Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:31 pm 

LPs isn't more virgin
because reviewed by Satan!

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:23 pm 

Sounds good I think, will try to prepare a few albums. What about full-length (as in 1h+) live albums and DVDs btw?

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:31 pm 

Last time I had midterms so was only able to get 8. Hopefully this time I reach a more impressive number.

Is full lengths only really necessary? I wholeheartedly support a ban on counting singles, but don't see why demos and EPs shouldn't count. Also, what was the "hybrid" style that failed?

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:34 pm 

caspian wrote:
(to prevent a thorough reviewing of every Iron Maiden single ever, because that always shat me off in previous review challenges).

I promise I won't do another singles binge like the TL one. :)

I'm more up for this one. I've had a more consistent reviewing pattern this year than normal and if this is before July 29th then I'm game.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

~Guest 302292
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:38 pm 

Sounds like I could possibly get in on this.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:08 pm 

Honestly I'm good with this. After reading that someone purposed a new challenge, I had convinced myself this wasn't going to happen or I wouldn't be involved. But, if we aren't doing any genre bullshit or quality winners (which, as Bastardhead said, was a disaster) I'll be good to go. Dates work fine too.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:16 pm 

I'd be down, although full-lengths only seems a bit restrictive. It's a bit annoying for someone to just review shittons of singles, yeah, but there's some demo-only bands that I've had my eye on for reviewing. Plus, I have absolutely no plans for that week, so I could potentially get pretty insane with the number of reviews I pump out, whereas last time I had class all week.

caspian

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:11 am 

I'm happy to allow demos and EPs. Let me just re-iterate that I will not be impressed if people review big band promo eps though. I dunno. i've been guilty of it in the past as well, and it's something that I'd like to ensure doesn't happen at all if/when this challenge happens.

So:

24th june- 1st july

full lengths, demos and eps. NO SINGLES. REVIEW YOUR BAD NWOBHM SOME OTHER TIME IF YOURE SO DAMN KEEN ON IT

VIRGINS ONLY, shouldn't need to be said but y'know new people and stuff

no genre themes

no perplexed_sjel

straight numerical contest, although let's all try not to write shit reviews- I was thinking we should all try to go for 20 good ones max, y'know? That's still a fair bit of work, a lot of ticking off. If we do more, that's cool, but yeah.. you guys know what I'm saying right? I don't think people breaking the 100 review mark will be good for the site.

Who's with me?

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:01 am 

Sounds good to me.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:25 am 

Just my question again - what about live albums and DVDs?

caspian

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:32 am 

QUESTION DENIED

caspian

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:33 am 

nah, go for it. Don't see why not. Been meaning to do a few of those Manowar dvds myself, actually.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:24 pm 

Does this include new albums? For instance, the new Autopsy drops sometime along that time frame and like 5 people review it. Do they all get challenge progress from it?

GuntherTheUndying

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:47 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
Does this include new albums? For instance, the new Autopsy drops sometime along that time frame and like 5 people review it. Do they all get challenge progress from it?

Yep, everyone gets credit for nailing an unreviewed record during the time frame.

For example, if ButtBalls667 and myself review Vomit Sodomy's Barfing Through the Heavens, we both get credit, as long as both were submitted throughout the challenge.

Also, I'm down with the dates and everything else.

*Makes list*

Obligatory Last FM Link

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:47 pm 

Sounds good, since I'll have solid Internet by then!

See you all then.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:48 pm 

Hmm, I'd probably be down for this one. I might have to review a couple of non-virgins before then to get back in the swing of things.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:30 pm 

I can prob participate after not being able to join in last years.
I haven't written one of my mediocre reviews in quite a while however.

Zodijackyl wrote:
LPs isn't more virgin
because reviewed by Satan!

are you now going abigail on us here in the forums too?
Does this mean you are going to review all the abigail stuff? :P

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:40 pm 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
For example, if ButtBalls667 and myself review Vomit Sodomy's Barfing Through the Heavens, we both get credit, as long as both were submitted throughout the challenge.

That's an EP. Do they count?

GuntherTheUndying

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:41 pm 

I see no reason why not; the consensus seems to think that'll work. I think singles are the only no-go release here.

Obligatory Last FM Link

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:07 am 

Hmm, what about short demos? Sometimes big bands have "demos" that are really just singles.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:32 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Hmm, what about short demos? Sometimes big bands have "demos" that are really just singles.

That's an exceedingly rare scenario compared to the number of demos made by underground, no-name bands, and it would be lame to exclude otherwise eligible demos by nobody bands on that basis alone. I think it'd be best to just trust people not to abuse the lack of definitive guidelines for the contest.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:19 pm 

I'm in, I wrote a lot of reviews for virgin albums in May though :( Maybe I'll review 1 or 2 albums too as I have some virgins on my list. I'll be busy with a new job though.

I would also prefer if we would stick to full lengths or at least EPs.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:29 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
That's an exceedingly rare scenario compared to the number of demos made by underground, no-name bands, and it would be lame to exclude otherwise eligible demos by nobody bands on that basis alone. I think it'd be best to just trust people not to abuse the lack of definitive guidelines for the contest.

Good thing I didn't call for an exclusion of all demos then, huh? I just think there should be some clarity about what counts and what doesn't, and demos are a bit of grey area because they range from what I was describing, to legitimate (albeit short) demos to things that are essentially full-length albums. I'm not sure if there's any easy way to exclude only certain segments of the demo population from the contest, though.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:06 am 

Hmmm...how about no reviewing demos by bands who have also released full-lengths? That'd eliminate a lot of the label promo stuff you seem to be concerned about.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:10 am 

caspian wrote:
fingers crossed, no Hells_Unicorn

You keep talking like that, and people are going to think we broke up. :-P

MutantClannfear wrote:
Hmmm...how about no reviewing demos by bands who have also released full-lengths? That'd eliminate a lot of the label promo stuff you seem to be concerned about.

Although this will probably complicate things a bit, this is probably the best way to resolve this issue. Personally, I'm not sure I'm going to contribute anything massive to this contest, I've grown accustomed to reviewing a steady amount of material at my own leisure and might contribute something to the affect of 7-12 full lengths tops, most of them albums I'm slated to do for The Metal Observer anyway.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Zero_Nowhere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:19 am 

MutantClannfear wrote:

There's a lot of bands that have full-lengths out but still have demos that are, essentially, EPs or full albums (not infrequently they end up with the demo designation because they're self-financed and thus fairly limited runs rather than because they're demos in the traditional sense). Those releases would cause a problem.

I think this might be an issue that can't easily be given a single rule. Much as I hate the idea, it might be necessary to just hold people to the honour system.

caspian

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:33 am 

All I can say is that I think everyone kinda liked my idea because of the relative lack of rules, and imma play the libertarian here and say let's keep it that way. If people want to use the loophole then fuck 'em they're dicks. No more rules. Just seems unnecessary really

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:37 pm 

caspian wrote:
no perplexed_sjel

:(

GuntherTheUndying

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:14 pm 

caspian wrote:
All I can say is that I think everyone kinda liked my idea because of the relative lack of rules, and imma play the libertarian here and say let's keep it that way. If people want to use the loophole then fuck 'em they're dicks. No more rules. Just seems unnecessary really

This.

So, June 24 through July 1....are we making this official? Any problems, issues, complaints, protests, etc.?

Obligatory Last FM Link

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:44 pm 

Yeah, that would have been really silly if restrictions were placed just because 1 or 2 people might possibly insist on being that lame and exploit a loophole. It's annoying if it happens, but it's hardly the end of the world or a good reason to leave the virginity of demos for bands with full albums intact.

Byrgan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:25 am 

Sounds cool. I'm somewhat out of practice, but who knows what will happen.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:37 pm 

Nice, I was just wondering the other day if I'd already missed the summer edition. I'll try my best to participate.

btw, I realized yesterday that not a single Trust release has been reviewed, just throwing that out there.

caspian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:49 pm 

Hey guys, this starts tomorrow?! I'll do a few reviews and I hope some of you do as well. Low key and free of stress, with us as a group maybe ticking off 100+ virgin albums for the site.. Feels good man.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:27 pm 

Liking the vibe here. Next week's just gonna be smooth sailing, breezy summer-day review writing. Prepare the lawn-chairs and stock the cooler boys; I got dogs on the grill and Oxiplegatz on the stereo; chilling.

Whats the record like 90-sumthing? We got this.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:49 pm 

I'll probably do just 2-3 or so, but I'll see, maybe I can come up with more. :)

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:16 am 

90 something? No way. Past challenges have had hundreds of reviews. I guess I better start making a list of virgins to review, eh?

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:06 am 

97 from me back in 2010 or 11 I believe, yes. Perplexed_sjel was close with 94-ish.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next