Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Varth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:12 am 

the beatles, sesame street, whatever my mom put on, I mean we're talking single digit age right?

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:21 am 

Didn't really get into anything through my mother, as she mostly listened to really, really atrocious Canadian French music (Ginette Reno, Garou, fucking Sylvain Cossette etc) but before I really ''got into'' music around the age of 12 with such wonders as Slipknot, Marilyn Manson, Cradle of Filth (and Iron Maiden!) my father used to blast some rock in his car quite often. Stuff like Boston, AC/DC, Supertramp (lots and lots of Supertramp), Chris DeBurgh (the dude rocks pretty hard, and you know it), Creedence Clearwater Revival, and Pink Floyd. I still have an affinity for most of those to this day.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

ApparatusUnearth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:55 am 

If we're talking way back in the day it was a lot of The Fresh Prince. Later, Linkin Park, Slipknot, Mudvayne, blink-182, New Found Glory, you know. Typical stuff.

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:59 pm 

Around age 6/7, I would listen to the song Thriller by Michael Jackson on repeat.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:37 pm 

Before I got my own CD player, I just had to listen to whatever other people did. Once I hit middle school, I was big into Linkin Park, Evanescence, and all kinds of anime theme music.

Now, only one of those three things has stayed in my life.

DreamOfDarkness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:09 pm 

I listened to rock CDs from my father as a kid (Deep Purple, CCR, Led Zeppelin) and started listening to metal at about 8. Metallica's "Ride The Lightning" was my first metal album. Honestly, I never went through the mallcore period as many others did.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:27 pm 

Jazz and classical, because of my dad. The first music I truly found on my own was probably hip-hop, back in the 80s. I tuned in to college radio and heard new wavish stuff, electronic music and hip-hop for the first time and the latter two especially had a big impact on me. I liked the hip-hop because it reminded me of Kool and the Gang and the Brecker Brothers, except with violent and sometimes funny lyrics, which I barely understood anyway being basically a really young and inexperienced kid. These days I can't do the hip-hop anymore at all but I cherish and value every one of my childhood musical experiences. Went to a lot of jazz concerts as a child and my first symphony when i was eight or so (I believe it was Mahler's 8th) and I basically have my dad to thank for me being really serious about music from the youngest possible age. Wasn't enough to get me to keep studying piano though. :lol:
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:39 pm 

Top 40, anything that was hitting the radio at the time (70's/early 80's). Anything from Bad Company to Bee Gees to Elton John to AC/DC.

Then I heard some Priest & Maiden and everything changed.

Ecliptik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:57 pm 

Goatfangs wrote:
Two bands in particular I listened to religiously during this time period were Eiffel 65 and Electrasy, the latter being known for the song "Cosmic Castaway" off the Titan AE soundtrack.

Ahhhhhhhhh! :hyper:
I cannot believe you mentioned that song, talk about freaking nostalgia overload right there. This wins the thread.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:18 pm 

I jumped from radio rock (that Stacy's Mom song was my jam) to classic rock (AC/DC, "Led Zeppelin is objectively the greatest band ever"), to entry level metal (Iron Maiden, Motley Crue, Death, King Diamond) to more obscure stuff (thrash beyond the big 4, Mayhem, Suffocation, lots of OSDM and Norwegian BM) to even more obscure stuff (Necrophobic, Om, Ripping corpse, Finnish DM). At that same period I slowly began acknowledging that deathcore was a lot cooler than people on the internet said it was. Slowly got into Despised Icon, Whitechapel, Suicide Silence first, then slightly less credible stuff like Emmure and Bring Me the Horizon. I ended up finding deathcore/metalcore having a lot more replay value than old, foreign metal bands I'd never see live did. So that was all from middle school to high school, and currently in college I'm still mostly into metalcore, as well as lots of hardcore (the brutal, death metal influenced stuff like Harms Way, Xibalba, Nails, etc) and proggy djent stuff (Structures, Volumes, The Room Colored Charlatan). Also lots of pop punk (A Day to Remember, Four Year Strong from 5 years ago, The Story so Far and The Wonder Years of today) and my new favorite band has suddently become Forever the Sickest Kids. Really catchy electro/power pop stuff.

tl;dr I went from a troo metal dork to a scene kid. Kinda backwards.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

Punishing
Delicious Penis Connoisseur

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:25 pm 

Lots of embarrassing local Egyptian pop music.
Then AC/DC, David Bowie, KISS, Michel Jackson, Foo Fighters, Boy George, Puff Daddy and a whole assortment of American crappy pop music.
My journey into metal began with Anthrax's "Spreading The Disease" which was given to me, I didn't purchase it. I then got introduced to a whole lot of similar sounding and better thrash and heavy metal bands.

Punk came later and didn't really stick.

Stoned Wizard
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:50 pm 

The Beatles, the Velvet Underground, Bob Dylan, the Ramones, Bob Marley, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, the Grateful Dead.

Come to think of it, I still listen to these a lot...

My old man raised me right.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:59 pm 

Fall Out Boy, Good Charlotte, Bowling for Soup, Green Day. Yep, I loved pop punk. I also had some top 40 and some rap songs (particularly D12 and Eminem) thrown in there. Now, other then Green Day (for nostalgic reasons), I can't really enjoy any of that stuff, especially the top 40 and rap.

Oh, also, I liked some N Sync and Backstreet Boys when I was a tiny kid, too far back for me to remember when. Don't judge, I was like 7.

7Halberd
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:33 pm 

I was really into punk bands back then. guys like blink 182, the misfits, ramones, and also some rap. I still like all those same artists to this day. I got into metal about 14 when i listened to slayer's raining blood. From then on it got more extreme until I peaked at about 16 when i started listening to brutal death metal. Now i can't stand brutal death metal, and have been in love with folk metal and blackened death metal for about a year now.

The SHM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:50 pm 

I almost forgot that, when I was young, I absolutely adored Ozzy Osbourne. And I mean young, around 3, 4 years old, and I was drawing crude pictures of the guy.

Winterfell
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:33 pm 

First band I ever owned a CD by was Smash Mouth when I was really little, but the first band I really got into was the Red Hot Chili Peppers. When I was around 13 I discovered Metallica and from there the rest of heavy metal. I still listen to the Chili Peppers a lot. I'd probably still listen to Smash Mouth too, but I lost the CD a long time ago.

angel_of_metal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:20 am 

Robbie Williams and a bit of Kylie Minogue

I only became 'enlightened' around the age of 19 so I have been making up for lost time since then ;)

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:22 am 

markoff_chaney wrote:
As a kid I remember listening to whatever crap was on top 40 radio.

Same here but the problem is that this music was WAY better than what you can listen now on same radio.

JT Rager
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:25 am 

Lots of classical, my parents got it for me, and I enjoyed some of it. Lots of musicals too. I didn't care for rock and pop music which is all I heard besides these, since I was under the impression that that was the best that rock could give.

-Tracie Harris

LivingDoorway
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:41 pm 

As soon as I could pick my own music, I ate up all those Blink 182 and Offspring bands that all appeared in the 90s. From then I went onto what I thought was the heaviest music I could find (Slipknot, American Head Charge, etc), before I finally saw the light.

The first actual metal album I owned was Demanufacture by Fear Factory. Still holds a special place in my heart.

Therizinosaur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:08 am 

When I was really young (about 3-5), my Dad and I would goof around in the living room playing while listening to Black Sabbath, The Outlaws, Don McLean (I still consider "American Pie" to be the greatest rock song of all time), and "Hot Rod Lincoln" in the background. Then, when I was a little older, I began to ignore popular music and listen exclusively to classical music (Beethoven, Bach, Tchaikovsky, Vivaldi, Mozart, and Wagner mostly) with some old school pop and show-tunes thrown in there (my younger Brother was and still is in theater prodctions quite a bit). Then, in 8th grade, I gradually listened to more and more rock, which consisted of things my Dad again liked (my dad got me into a lot of the music I currently like) such as Sabbath and the Outlaws (again), Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull (my favorite all-time band), Yes, Genesis, The Rolling Stones, The Who, AC/DC, Rush, Audience, The Velvet Underground, Lou Reed, Univers Zero, Bob Dylan, The Beatles, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and The Clash (didn't particularly like the last three though). Finally, in 9th grade I first listened to Metallica, Iron Maiden, and Judas Priest, and, despite hating them at first, I got hooked and have loved metal ever since (I still love progressive rock, classical, and classic rock; they just aren't all I listen to anymore).

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:43 am 

A bunch of Classic Rock and Heavy Metal my parents introduced me to, you know, stuff like 'Sabbath, Judas Priest, Metallica, Motorhead, Led Zeppelin, Tom Petty and so forth. I also had a fondness for Blink 182 and Fat Wreck Chords stuff.

I lived in Florida during the late 90s... A neighbor kid one time introduced me to Morbid Angel, but I didn't get into them right away. That was the first exposure I got to Death Metal.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:23 am 

I feel it's relevant to this thread: I aibn't ashamed to still enjoy (some) early Marilyn Manson and Mindless Self Indulgence shit . WOTEVAH 8|

I got into MSI in 98 or 99, and, up til then, that was the most "out there" music i'd ever heard, so they madfe abig impression on me, considering I was a fucking hick living in the sticks in Mississippi at the time.

and, even back then, I considered the idea of them touring with ICP really embarrassing and lame...

Body_Hammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:18 am 

The first album that really clicked for me was Jethro Tull's The Broadsword and the Beast. And it's still fucking awesome. No shame here!!!

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:36 am 

Mum had tons of Scorpions, Beatles, Bread, CCR tapes and also quite a few of those slow-rock/ballad compilation tapes. So I'd play them quite often. This was the mid 90s. I think that kinda paved the way to rock, hard rock and glam at that time. I also had the occasional UB40 fix.

halfformedfetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:01 am 

My mum was obsessed with Queen! so it was lots of Queen and more Queen, then my older brother showed me Sepultura and Scream Bloody Gore.. still love Queen though haha

Mr Satan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:37 am 

I start to listen music with 11 and it was Rammstein.

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:05 pm 

I have always listened to tons of music. My dad was (and still is) a huge classic rock guy. I got started pretty early on, around 5 or 6 years old. with accessible metal stuff like Sabbath, Priest, Deep Purple, Def Leppard, etc. He also King Diamond - Them which I would listen to occasionally. I remember he had a copy of Megadeth - So Far, So Good...So What (I now own it), which I was scared of, mainly because of the song titles and lyrics. In retrospect I find it very weird that I could listen to King Diamond but not Megadeth, who are pretty harmless.

Anyway, when I was 12 or 13 I started listening to a lot of mid-90s alternative rock. I was born in 1984 so it was around 96 or 97. I listened to 99.1 WHFS in MD at that time which was very popular. All my friends listened to the same music and liked the same bands. Even though nu metal/mallcore/whatever you want to call it was popular around that time, I never really got into those bands aside from some early Korn or RATM. I never cared for Limp Bizkit or Deftones, who were the only other big nu metal bands at the time.

When I turned 14 or 15 and was in high school I discovered Slayer and started listening to more extreme music. Sometimes I still listen to the bands I liked when I was a kid. Some have aged well and some have not.

Maniac Matis
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:44 pm 

I didn't *really* get into music, and ultimately metal, until I was around 10 years. I started off listening to really lame alternative like Relient K and terrible ass screamo like Underoath. :grumble:
But hey, I was a kid. When I turned 13 I started getting really into Slayer, Megadeth, Metallica, Black Sabbath, and Yngwie Malmsteen. By the time I was 14 I had discovered bands like Nocturnus, Death, and Obituary through this website, and eventually decided to make an account after all these years! :wink:

Under_Starmere wrote:
Unng. I'm ThRoBing

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:08 pm 

My dad inundated me with metal from birth, but I didn't really start to like it until Master of Puppets in 4th grade. At that time and earlier, it was mostly about pop-punk (anything you could find on the Tony Hawk Pro Skater soundtrack) and grunge. The Smashing Pumpkins, Smash Mouth, and Pearl Jam were probably the biggest ones for me, but since I mostly just listened to the radio (ROCK 105.3, living in Poway, the birthplace of Blink-182) I loved all the hits from Nirvana, Soundgarden, Savage Garden, Sugar Ray, and many others. Unknown to me at the time, Queensryche was among them with 'Bridge'. Funny thing is that I actually like some nu metal today, but hated it both before I liked metal and deep into my Maiden-every-day period, even though it was technically the stuff of my generation. Although I guess that was mostly my daytime music; when reading and sleeping, I would usually listen to my mom's handful of classical CDs and this jazz hour thing that went from IIRC 10-11PM on NPR.

But I can't neglect my love for the video game music of my childhood. Sometimes we'd start up Warcraft II and just pause on the levels with our favorite songs and crank that up. And another one unknown at the time, there was a tactical/shooter game from 1998 called Damage Incorporated, and I always thought the intro music was amazing. Didn't think a real band played it at the time, and a bit later when I discovered it was some band called Death I figured that it was probably some fake band or maybe the programmer's band or something. Some several years later I hear Cosmic Sea in proper form, and it was a giant holy shit moment.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:03 am 

dewds: you know that White Town song, "Your Woman"?

I heard that one day before school in, I think, '97, and I loved it immediately. I only ever saw the video/heard it once in the 90's, but it made such an impression that I had it stuck in my head for years. I kept thinking about it until one day I decided I had to try to find it with the help of the innernette. I typed in some of the lyrics I could still recall and managed to find it. Thank god, I finally had some closure!

Ever since I first heard it, I still like that song... the whole album, even, despite Jyoti Mishra not being a particularly great singer.

Cloud0129
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:17 pm 

I was into K-Pop music as a kid, mostly due to my Mom listening to that kind of stuff. (Yeah, I'm Korean myself.)

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:33 pm 

Cloud0129 wrote:
I was into K-Pop music as a kid, mostly due to my Mom listening to that kind of stuff. (Yeah, I'm Korean myself.)

Ah, Big Bang, I feel for you.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

HeathenousSeraph
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:56 pm 

Luckily, my mom used to listen to classic rock and metal. First album I owned was an Ozzy compilation. Heard a lot of Pat Benatar and Heart in the car too. Not my favorites, but it sure as hell beat her putting on whatever pop was on the radio at the time.

Buprenorphed
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:18 pm 

I was a bit obsessed with this russian punk band call Sektor Gaza. It wasnt punk in the strictest sense of the word, particularly musically, but they gave no fucks and i felt that. I sat there rewinding their songs repeatedly to learn the words to songs that only years later i found out the meaning of.
I got into the spanish alternative/urban rock sound very early too. Bands like Extremoduro, Boikot, Reincidentes & Platero y Tu where a huge part of my childhood. I went to my first Ska-P gig at 10 years old and i fucking loved those guys.
Im gonna try not to think back to before i was 7ish because i just did it for a second and words like Aqua and Spice Girls came flying at the inside of my eyelids like a dodgy acid flashback.
Dont know what that was about as i always listened to awesome music and never borrowed my sister's tape of disney songs or borrowed and copied without her permission her bon jobi mixtape. And i definetly didnt draw a bad picture of the genie for the casette cover of said non-existant disney song tape, or record like, interludes or talking between the songs. I...didnt...

What have you guys just done to me? This is NOT what i came back to MA for!!!!

FromMarsToSirius
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:24 pm 

I was lucky enough to be subjected to The Who, Hendrix and The Alabama 3 as a kid. All fantastic stuff.

Cloud0129
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:06 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
Cloud0129 wrote:

Ah, Big Bang, I feel for you.

:-P It was actually before K-Pop got big when I was into that stuff, but yes. I still listen to older artists just to reminiscence those days.

Pyroclasm
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:52 am 

As a 12-13 year old kid I was big into Beastie Boys, Disturbed, Linkin Park, System of A Down, and Rage Against the Machine. I also liked a lot of stuff that was played on Viva La Bam and I was exposed to a decent amount of music from the Tony Hawk Pro Skater N64 games such as New Noise by Refused.

I also really enjoy music from the Legend of Zelda games.

When Youtube blew up that really helped to expose the awesomeness of metal.

I started really getting into metal at 15-16 due to Maydie's Vanilla WoW Grand Marshal PvP video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzPlictRoK8, it exposed me to Rhapsody of Fire and Children of Bodom.

Last edited by Pyroclasm on Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Animator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:05 am 

I didn't really get into music until I was 17 so most of the stuff that I actually liked was from movies.

Here are some favorites, I still think all these songs are great:

"The Journey" from The Rescuers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My7kP35acMQ

"Man's Road" from The Last Unicorn:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wQ0j33bTd4

"Hellfire" from The Hunchback of Notre Dame:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqGL9B_TPTI

"Poor Unfortunate Souls" from The Little Mermaid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyFVG4VfPmg

"Please Wake Up" from Once Upon a Forest
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuPiAA3onVI

"Wherever You Are" from Pooh's Grand Adventure
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPdDK88X9lU

"Girls of Rock N' Roll" from The Chipmunk Adventure
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVpn94aH1lU

Back Stabbath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:18 am 

Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Mike Oldfield, and the sound of my mum getting laid.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next