Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:03 pm 

Bought a bottle of Chaucer's honey mead last night and damn, that stuff is delicious!

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:17 pm 

caspian wrote:
Monteith's Apricot Wheat beer= gross.

Come on, it's not that bad. Just had one myself. I am quite a fan of wheat beers though. The apricot flavour is pretty strong upfront, but it's alright if you know what to expect.

Still bugger all Aussie brews turning up on the shelves, always interested to know what others are thinking of the ones from here though.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:40 pm 

Had some really tasty brews at the gastro pub last night:

Southern Tier Imperial Compass - I believe they refer to it as a sparkling ale and it's listed as an American pale ale on Beer Advocate, but this definitely falls into catchall "strong ale" territory. Up-front citrusy hops that quickly faded to a lingering bitterness while the malt and peppery spice did the talking. The 9% ABV on this one was utterly invisible.

Southern Tier IPA - I've had this plenty of times before but they had it on nitro tap so gave that a go. If you've never had an IPA on nitro or hand pump I definitely recommend trying it at least once; the nitro adds loads of creaminess and cuts down on the carbonation while it also has the secondary effect of muting the bitterness of the hops, letting the rest of the hops flavor really sing. Brings out the malt a bit more, too.

Selkirk Abbey St. Augustine Rye Saison - First beer I've ever had by this tiny Idaho brewery (and possibly my first beer from Idaho in general). Really interesting style choice that I was excited to try. It did let me down a little bit - the slightly sour rye flavor dominated, which isn't really a problem for me as I love rye beers. However, the typical saison slight funk and tanginess that I look for was a bit hard to make out under all the rye, but still noticeable.

Perennial Saison de Lis - After the beer above I was looking for something a little funkier and this certainly did the job. Nice and tart but with a lot of pepper, floral notes and candi sugar but with plenty of malt. If it weren't for the distinct farmhouse yeast this would've been almost Belgian pale ale territory, maybe a little sweeter than I'm used to in the style but still very good.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:16 pm 

I really like farmhouse ales, provided they aren't hoppy. I mean, a proper farmhouse ale should be pretty damn dry, too dry for hops to do much of anything except destroy the beer. I would probably make an exception for an all-Citra one that was somewhat delicately hopped, or even (not that anyone would actually do this) purely dry-hopped, nothing in the kettle.

Non-sour bretted farmhouse ales are even better. :)

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:28 pm 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Thanks for the info, as I will want to start cellaring when I have something to properly store them to age. I'm finding more and more with me, that stouts, and well darker, heavier beers in general are my preferred choice, as I really like the strong, malty (and often bitter) flavours to be more enticing - aging them would be something else if their flavour improves with age. Heavier alcohol content beers I also enjoy immensely - as long as the sting from the actual alcohol doesn't overpower the experience, with Belgians and the like.

Well, "improve" is a matter of preference. I and quite a few many others tend to prefer "English barleywines" (meaning minimally-hopped barleywines) with age, the alcohol flavors tend to mellow out and the malt tends to dominate. Plus you get some good oxidation for a few years before the bad oxidation sets in, usually. Others tend to prefer the alcohol heat of a fresh barleywine. Hoppy barleywines are obviously enjoyed fresher by people who like hops, and aged by people who don't (or don't like them in barleywines). I personally feel most barleywines are either too hot or hoppy fresh, or have otherwise not really "come together" yet.

To be honest, outside of those "few very specific stouts" I found in the last year to age well from 12 to 24 months, I don't have too much experience aging the stronger imperial stouts/porters, so I wouldn't really know how to generally describe their cellar properties. I would assume the more aggressively acrid/burnt flavors from roasted barley (black coffee) would eventually mellow out, and of course the alcohol sting should die down a bit.

As for which stronger stouts I enjoyed, I liked the previous batches of Goose Island Night Stalker both fresh and aged, but unfortunately one of the two most recent batches got screwed up, and I was not aware of this until after I bought it :(. Not looking forward to those bottles. Goose Island Bourbon County Stout is generally good with around 2 years on it and probably for a while afterwards as well. The heat (some batches in the past outright burned like whiskey) dies down a lot, and the beer generally gets sweeter. Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Stout gets even more mellow aged than it is fresh.

Courage Russian Imperial Stout and Bell's Expedition Stout are both supposed to age spectacularly, probably better than any other widely-available imperial stout. I'm sitting on some Expedition and have only had one bottle of Courage (it was tasty).

What sort of stouts do you like, by the way?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:37 pm 

I've had some Expedition that was aged two or three years and thought it was phenomenal. I've also had a lot of success with Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:53 pm 

Brooklyn BCS didn't change much for me with a year on it but I've got some more tucked away to see if it does something more drastic long-term. I can definitely notice the difference batch to batch with that one though, that may have something to do with it. More fruity one year, more chocolatey the next, varying levels of alcohol heat....

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:45 am 

I don't have much experience aging stouts or barleywines - Those tend to be on the expensive side here, especially the ones worth aging. However, I've (more or less) successfully aged some Belgian stuff:

Chimay's good availability, good quality and (relatively) cheap price makes them a good one for aging here. The Blue is a good one, it changes constantly and doesn't really get bad easily. Even ten years and it still is good though the prune becomes a bit too dominant in my mind. Two to four years is my favorite with the sweetness rounding out a bit as well as the alcohol mellowing out. White (or tripel) gets maltier and yeastier, losing quite a bit of the fruitiness and hoppiness, gets perhaps even a bit sweeter in a year or two. I prefer that one fresh. Red is a bit too light and thin for aging. Had one that was four years and it was thin prune soup pretty much. Definitely better younger.

La Rulles Triple is excellent when fresh, excellent in one or two years, but shouldn't be aged longer than that definitely. It doesn't get bad, but loses the fruitiness and hoppiness that makes it so exquisite. St. Bernardus Grottenbier, while a bit of a lightweight for aging, does age quite well. Turning a bit more sour, somewhat drier and definitely more complex. Achel Bruin is another one that just improves, getting more complex, losing a bit of the sweetness. St. Feuillien's Cuveé de Paques is a mess of added spices when fresh, but with a couple of years, the spices mellow out and the maltiness comes to the forefront with the spices then providing the added complexity, often missing from dubbels. Not that surprisingly La Chouffe doesn't really improve with age though some really prefer it that way. But in general, blond beers tend not to improve that much.

Just a random smattering of experiences.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:52 pm 

Enjoying a Session lager right now. This stuff is good. It's very tasty and mellow on the palate, sort of medium-bodied and gently rich, but the finish drops off really quickly and leaves you with very little aftertaste. So yeah, a great summer beer! Will definitely be picking up a multi-pak of this at some point soon.
I've had the Session Black in the past and it's also really great stuff, quite dark but with a molasses-y undertone that keeps it more lively and interesting than something like Guinness.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:41 pm 

That's some fantastically ghetto looking stuff. I'll have to give it a try for sure.

Yesterday I had a bottle of one of my old favorites, Harviestoun Old Engine Oil. It's called a black ale but it wouldn't be a total crime to call it a stout, but I guess it also gets classified as an old ale. Sort of similar to stuff like Theakston Old Peculiar (though darker and roastier than that) or maybe Pizza Port Old Viscosity. Definitely highly recommended, if you can get your hands on it.

Along with some other brews, I also had a bottle of Tournay Black. Really brilliant Belgian stout. The roast's there and it's strong, of course, but the candi sugar and Belgian yeast probably dominate even moreso. It makes for a wonderfully complex, layered flavor.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:45 pm 

Ghetto? Nah, not at all, just kinda like a fancier version of Red Stripe. I actually really like the "stout" bottle design, there's something nice about it. In fact, though it's funny to admit, packaging does sway my choice a lot when trying out unfamiliar beers. If something's got nice aesthetics, that's a huge factor in whether or not I'll bother to look into it more closely. I suppose there's a subconscious assumption that if the brewer/distiller/whatever took good care in designing their product, they also took good care in brewing/distilling/whatevering it. Though of course that does not always hold true. I just....don't want to interact with shitty aesthetics, to put it bluntly. It's part of the experience. Packaging is power!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:02 pm 

Oh, I'm with you there. I mean, the fact that it's got non-standard packaging is enough already for me to be interested in it. I just find those bottles kind of amusing because you'd only see Red Stripe in those sorts of bottles for the longest time, then more recently other breweries have started using the stubby sort (Green Flash, Sierra Nevada). Plus it's just called "Session"... kind of gives me the impression it's like a more yuppie-marketed version of that beer that's just called Beer.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:00 am 

One of my greatest regrets in life is that I had many opportunities to try Beer 30 and Beer 30 Light but never did so. :lol:

Suechtler
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:05 am 

I bought a bottle of Stone IPA yesterday and only realised at home that its use by/enjoy by date is July 22nd, about a week ago. If the store I bought it at would be just round the corner, I'd just go rturn it but it's quite a bit out of my way, so I wanted to ask here if anybody has some experience with use by dates on IPAs in general and on the regular Stone one in particular. Should I drink it as it's likely going to be completely fine or should I try to return it?

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:08 am 

It might not be the nicest thing ever but it won't kill you. Just drink it, you fag, etc.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:59 am 

It's a use by, not an expiration date. Don't think a store is required to accept those back. It's just a warning for you, as a consumer, that it's not in its best condition. Anyway, it's still going to taste great. Perhaps the hops won't bite your whole head off. You might be left with a stub. It's just a number, it doesn't magically transform from great beer to skunky bilge water when the clock turns 00:01 on July 23rd.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:02 am 

Earthcubed wrote:
What sort of stouts do you like, by the way?

Waaaay let replying to this, sorry.

Stouts that I have tried and really loved so far have been Little Creatures Dreadnaught (single batch only, probably wont see it again dammit), St Peter's cream stout, St Ambroise Russian Imperial, Old Rasputin, two local, Murry's farmhouse and Belgio syled Imperial stouts (which were awesome) and my favourite, Samuel Smith's Oatmeal stout. I have tried others, but cant recall their names, or they didn't stand out too well. Any recommendations, so next time I'm out shopping I can grab some if they're available?

Drinking my way through two four packs of Vale IPA at the moment, and disappearing fast. Also have a couple of these in the fridge:

Quite good, and a bit more subdued than the Northern Hemisphere harvest ale, which I also liked. This seems slightly less... aggressively hoppy with a smooth aftertaste.

My collection

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:24 pm 

I've had some of Sierra Nevada's other beers in that Harvest wet hopped line but I haven't had that one. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:32 pm 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
St Ambroise Russian Imperial

Man, I have to try this. I love St Ambroise and stout is my favourite type of beer. It's weird that I've never seen a stout by them anywhere before.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:46 pm 

Sierra's Harvest series have all been exceptional. I love that stuff.

About the stubby bottles, a lot more stuff used to come in those many years ago, especially when bars would stack bottles in their chest freezers. Genesee has been selling beer in those bottles recently, and they come in a thick cardboard box so it's always fresh.

Stone69
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:36 pm 

If you could find one - try one! :beer:

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:24 pm 

Forgot to update this after my Gouden Carolus mini-marathon the other day.

Ambrio - This is listed as a Belgian Strong Dark on beer advocate but it definitely wanders the ground between Strong Dark and Strong Pale. Roughly the same color as buckwheat honey, but cloudier of course. Lots of fruitiness but the tartness of the esters was subdued by the malty, caramel sweetness. That malt was almost vaguely Scotch Ale-ish, and even dominated over they yeast and candi sugar you'd normally expect to have strong presence. A touch of spice. Pretty tasty beer, but I'm not sure how often I'd want something that rides the fence between typical Belgian flavors and more British-style malt focus.

Hopsinjoor - Ahhh, fantastic! I've had a good number of Belgian IPA's recently, most of them being American but a few being from Belgium itself. Most of them are essentially IPA's, with the hops being the spotlight, with the Belgian yeast flavors being sort of a supporting role. Not so here; this is like a Belgian Pale Ale through and through except with the hops ramped up just enough to be an important part of the whole thing rather than just a minor balancing tool. All of the Belgian-ness is up front - somewhat tart, decent spiciness/pepperiness, candi sugar, apple and pear, yeast - with the nice piney, citrusy hops coming in on the back of your tongue. The malt holds it all together and makes the transition from the front to the back fit like a glove. Really tasty brew.

Classic - Another Strong Dark, this one was a nice, hazy dark brown. Even the head was a bit tan. Shitloads of tart stone fruit - sour cherries and plums. Really pretty sour stuff, delicious. Like the above, the sugar, spice and yeast hit you first but this time it's that dry, tart fruitiness that hangs about on the aftertaste. This almost tastes like it's got some cherry lambic blended in, in the vein of Three Philosophers or something of the sort. This beer would be the perfect stepping stone for people trying to get into the more pungent Belgian beer styles from the rounder, maltier stuff like dubbels or more typical Strong Darks.

The only two beers left from that quality batch are the Breckenridge Imperial Stout and that bottle of Third Coast Old Ale, the latter of which I'll try to hang onto for as long as I can. I've also got some of Starr Hill's new DIPA that could be interesting, and am even slumming it with a case of PBR I just picked up. Maybe this'll last me until the fall seasonals start hitting the shelves.

bloodmyst
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:54 pm 

St. Arnold's Lawnmower. If you're not a resident of Texas or Louisiana in the U.S., this is unavailable for you to buy.

Sometimes I also drink Jester King's Thrash Metal Farmhouse Ale:

onorato73
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:37 pm 

MetalCuresHeadaches wrote:

Not much of a beer fan (whiskey is the drink of choice), but tried out some Mississippi Mud Black & Tan with a few friends this weekend. And all I can say is coffee. It looked, tasted, and went down like thick, black (spiked) coffee. Which was surprisingly good. I'd recommend it if you enjoy coffee, or cheap beer (the local warehouse club sells it for $2.60 per bottle), but tasting like coffee is all it's really good for.

There is a bar right next to my parents house that sells that. I always see it in the cooler but I've never managed to purchase it yet. Perhaps I will actually stop by and grab one next Friday.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:45 pm 

I had a couple of new ones the other night:

Otter Creek's Russian Imperial Stout - Very rich, thick stuff. Definitely heavy on the chocolate/espresso end of the spectrum without much fruitiness at all. 10% ABV was utterly invisible. Pretty much an extremely straightforward yet expertly crafted example of a RIS. I used to see a lot more Otter Creek beers in my area but I've actually never seen this one before. It's a shame as it's really tasty and, since Otter Creek stuff is generally really cheap, would definitely be a staple of my drinking in colder months if it were more available. Oh well.

Starr Hill Double Platinum IPA - I've got my eye on this brewery. They're relative newcomers and nothing of theirs I've had so far has really blown me away, but I get the feeling they're still working on building up a customer base via solid entries in the expected fields before really making a statement. Anyway. This was definitely a West Coast style IPA - like chewing a wad of hops. Loads of bitterness up front lasting all the way through the last of the aftertaste, with various other hops flavors coming through at various points (citrus up front, huge pine dominating the middle, grassier toward the end). Enough malt to keep it going but really this was a hops showcase. Decent enough but I tend to like a little more complexity in my IPA's.

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:02 pm 

Bought a bottle of "God Lager" the other night on a friend's recommendation. Was disappointed to read the back which explains that it's actually just Swedish for "good lager". And upon tasting it I would discover that it's merely "okay lager".

6/10

Warlocks_amulet
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:28 pm 

Having a Stuttgarter Hofbrau right now.. not bad, 7/10.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:40 am 

[quote="iamntbatman"]Southern Tier IPA - I've had this plenty of times before but they had it on nitro tap so gave that a go. If you've never had an IPA on nitro or hand pump I definitely recommend trying it at least once; the nitro adds loads of creaminess and cuts down on the carbonation while it also has the secondary effect of muting the bitterness of the hops, letting the rest of the hops flavor really sing. Brings out the malt a bit more, too.quote]

This. The outdoor hawker centre in my city's Chinatown has started serving Hobgoblin on tap and that was fucking awesome.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:43 am 

Been drinking an awful lot of these lately:

I'm convinced I have a (good) problem, as I can't get enough of this stuff. Sugary, ripe and spicy flavouring, but not overpowering - just straight up delicious, and the smell is fantastic when you pour it. The 10% ABV is a plus too, but it's not something you notice as it warms you slowly from the inside out, because the flavour is king here. I will take this over the tripel any time please.

My collection

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:49 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
*La Trappe Quad*

I'm convinced I have a (good) problem, as I can't get enough of this stuff. Sugary, ripe and spicy flavouring, but not overpowering - just straight up delicious, and the smell is fantastic when you pour it. The 10% ABV is a plus too, but it's not something you notice as it warms you slowly from the inside out, because the flavour is king here. I will take this over the tripel any time please.

Well, def would take this one over the Tripel. But really, why would you even compare the two? Vastly different kind of beers. Aaaanyway... Yeah, La Trappe make an excellent quad as is. The barrel-aged ones are perhaps even better. Or maybe just different? Haven't tried too many of them and the ones that I've had, only had once so take it as you will. But while some quads that I've had (some even from Belgium as I have a belief that only Belgians - and sometimes the Dutch - do the Belgian styles well) have been very lackluster, but La Trappe's is just marvelous.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:10 am 

MacMoney wrote:
Well, def would take this one over the Tripel. But really, why would you even compare the two? Vastly different kind of beers.

Got me there, no question. Yes this is a very nice drop straight out of the bottle. I really do like me some strong dark ales as a preference though... guess that's what I'm saying. Would like to sample the barrel aged version as a comparison.

My collection

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:18 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Got me there, no question. Yes this is a very nice drop straight out of the bottle. I really do like me some strong dark ales as a preference though... guess that's what I'm saying. Would like to sample the barrel aged version as a comparison.

Yeah, I understand what you mean. Was just saying that in general, comparing beers out of different categories is just... Well, personally I find it like saying that Maiden is better than Morbid Angel. Vastly different music. Excellent sipper anyway. The oak-aged batches I've had were all aged in white wine barrels as well as unused, just with different toasts on the wood. In general I'm a fan of vinous flavors in strong and dark beers so they work excellently for me.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:23 am 

Sounds interesting, though my chances of sampling them down here will be slim I would wager.

My collection

MikeNox
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:52 pm 

If you get the chance to try some Spanish beer, try the 1925, it's the best I've had. There's also another one called Alcazar, but it's produced on a very small region of southern Spain, so it's not available almost anywhere.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:40 am 

Went to a huge pub who were going for an Old World Europe vibe yesterday, it was really cool, they had a "beer bible" with over 200 beers they served. The girl who I went there with and I both got a random beer we never had before. I got Okocim (Poland), which was very smooth (perhaps a bit under-carbonated) and easy to drink. Malty and vaguely sweet. She had a Lech (also Polish), which I guess is more popular, but for whatever reason I've never had before. Crisp with a hint of spice, could see myself ordering for myself a few times in the future. They have real trappist beer, which though insanely expensive, is something I'd like to try at least once.

onorato73
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:59 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
I had a couple of new ones the other night:

Otter Creek's Russian Imperial Stout - Very rich, thick stuff. Definitely heavy on the chocolate/espresso end of the spectrum without much fruitiness at all. 10% ABV was utterly invisible. Pretty much an extremely straightforward yet expertly crafted example of a RIS. I used to see a lot more Otter Creek beers in my area but I've actually never seen this one before. It's a shame as it's really tasty and, since Otter Creek stuff is generally really cheap, would definitely be a staple of my drinking in colder months if it were more available. Oh well.

I drank that at a wedding I went to this summer. I forget how much the alcohol potency was exactly but I remember that it was a lot. Very heavy beer though.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:15 pm 

Sipping a La Choulette Ambrée. Finally a French biere de garde that lives up to its reputation.

dystopia4 wrote:
I got Okocim (Poland). She had a Lech (also Polish)

Those are pretty much the Polish equivalents of Labatt and Molson. Well, there's Zywiec and Tyskie which are that too, but you get the idea. I hope.

Motorpriest
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:41 pm 

My brother in law loves craft beer (as do I but I'm not nearly as in to it as he is) and he recommended I pick one of these up. The only other beers I've tried with Maple are Granville Island's Maple Cream Ale and Cannery's Maple Stout, both of which left me wanting. Has anyone else here tried this yet?

Also, Half-Pints is releasing a new batch of Humulus Ludicrous tomorrow and I'll be picking up a couple of those; hops out the wazoo! I absolutely love it and anyone with a fondness for IPA's and DIPA's should try to find some.

TMFAdvocate
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:52 pm 

Southern Tier's Pumking is nearly out again! The best autumn brew I've ever tried. Has anyone graced their palate with this?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:44 am 

Yeah, I've had that a few times. It's pretty decent. A couple weeks ago I had a bottle of New Belgium's pumpkin beer, which apparently is brewed with a little bit of cranberry. I actually liked it a fair bit, as the glut of pumpkin beers that comes out this time of year often leaves me trying to remember differences between all of them.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 86  Next