Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:46 pm 

You have a point, "it has no riffs" can be used in the same uninformative, dismissive way that "it's too cheesy" can be used, but at the same time this is the internet and you really need a thicker skin if you're going to get by here.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:56 pm 

Well, it's not like I lose my sleep over it or something :P but it's always worth trying to get rid of a moronic phenomenon if there's a chance...

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:59 pm 

I'd like to get rid of you too because you turn everything into baseless defensive arguments but we can't always have everything we desire.

First world problem: it's fucking hot and the only kind of Mr. Freeze left were the purple ones :(

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:02 pm 

Ugh you might as well said you had no Mr. Freeze at all left. When I used to get those I would automatically throw away all the purple ones.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:03 pm 

Cheel.

On a similar note, why can I not encase my head in a globe of cold, cold water?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:07 pm 

SLK: :eek: yeah, well it's just too warm and they're not that bad just not as good as the other flavours.

Arnold as Mr. was definitely the best/worst casting ever. I need to re-watch it since I finished Arkham City, this movie is bad in a good way.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:09 pm 

Bad in a you had to have been on coke to think this would ever work way.

I know you're digging those bear slippers, Tony.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:11 pm 

hahaha!^

and It can't be possibly that hot. You know where I live so I know hot and humidity. I would probably be needing a light jacket where you are.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:16 pm 

Well you're probably right about that. But then again you wear shorts and have the power of rage on your side. It is definitely hot and fuckmuggy in Brooklyn today, though. California was never so cruel :(

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:16 pm 

Looove these slippers! It was like 95ºF today but yeah, I'm not really tolerant during heat wave, I'm fat and hairy, fuck humidity! I need my own personal ice floe to cool down in peace.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:21 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
hahaha!^

and It can't be possibly that hot. You know where I live so I know hot and humidity. I would probably be needing a light jacket where you are.

You would be comfortable in the weather in Connecticut this evening - 95 degrees around 80% humidity.

On the other hand, I drank half a gallon of water during a 30-minute walk.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:33 pm 

Yea that's about my normal temp around here. I enjoy that so much.

hell the other week I didn't even turn my air conditioner on and it was 86 degrees in my house. i was nice and chill.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:38 pm 

Gugh. The sweat was rolling down my back in the subway station today. Goddamn summer, I can't wait for autumn and winter to return. Had such nice commute times last winter, walking to work in the falling snow listening to Paysage d'Hiver and Thergothon and stuff. That's what I'm talkin' 'bout, not this muggyfug bayou nonsense :panda: Haven't even been out to see any fireflies this year! What the fuck is that shit!!!??!!?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:48 pm 

I just can't stand the cold. I haven't seen any fireflies in years. I just figured they all died off by now. But I don't really go out too much once I get home.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:03 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Gugh. The sweat was rolling down my back in the subway station today. Goddamn summer, I can't wait for autumn and winter to return.

I'm just the opposite, I long for the summer. Not that it's really cold here at the moment, cold in the morning and slightly warm during the day. I want to be able to wear clothes that don't cover up 99% of my body and not have to warm up extensively before exercising.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:07 pm 

That's one of my main complaints^ I know I sweat a ton when I'm workingout and being cold before or after it is horrible and can get me sick real quick. And the cold makes me want to hibernate, not do anything really productive.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:33 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
I haven't seen any fireflies in years. I just figured they all died off by now.

I realized this some time ago too, it has been years since I saw fireflies. Frost and fog too, used to be way more common here when I was a kid.

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
And the cold makes me want to hibernate, not do anything really productive.

I feel like hibernating all the time but it actually gets worse on the hotter days, because it sucks even to sleep, and heat always give me a headache. But yeah cold is the worst for workouts.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:49 pm 

Frost and fog I see all the time. Esp fog.

It also cramps me up a bit cause nothing wants to get really going nor the blood pumping.

On a different note, going to see if I can get these 2 cabs I want from this stupid music store. I emailed them about them cause I saw them advertised online, and while they responded they told me they were for pick up only regardless that they had a shipping price listed. fast forward 2 weeks. I have a shipping company on hold with a reserve on a price to go pick them up and deliver them and I called the store, obviously the cabs are still there but the owner of the store isn't around for me to talk to cause I got to talk to dumbass scaredbitch and lazy as fuck kid. I just wanted to know if the cabs were there and I was going to talk to their boss about arranging for shipping.... as in who would come and pick it up and everything and lazy fuck kid attempts to disinterest me in them cause he thinks I mean for him to do any sort of work... like wrap it with cardboard or drive it somewhere to ship or any of that shit. I just wanted to get off the phone with him and just wanted to confirm the owner would be there tmwr which he said he would be.

someone wish me luck, I hope the owner isn't a goddamn mouthbreather. he is the one that emailed me and in the email seemed to at least understand what I asked of him at that time.

I swear I wished at that time I was Bill Cosby in Ghost Dad and wanted to go through the phone and just strangle the fuck out of the kid.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:00 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
On a different note, going to see if I can get these 2 cabs I want from this stupid music store. I emailed them about them cause I saw them advertised online, and while they responded they told me they were for pick up only regardless that they had a shipping price listed. fast forward 2 weeks. I have a shipping company on hold with a reserve on a price to go pick them up and deliver them and I called the store, obviously the cabs are still there but the owner of the store isn't around for me to talk to cause I got to talk to dumbass scaredbitch and lazy as fuck kid. I just wanted to know if the cabs were there and I was going to talk to their boss about arranging for shipping.... as in who would come and pick it up and everything and lazy fuck kid attempts to disinterest me in them cause he thinks I mean for him to do any sort of work... like wrap it with cardboard or drive it somewhere to ship or any of that shit. I just wanted to get off the phone with him and just wanted to confirm the owner would be there tmwr which he said he would be.

someone wish me luck, I hope the owner isn't a goddamn mouthbreather. he is the one that emailed me and in the email seemed to at least understand what I asked of him at that time.

I swear I wished at that time I was Bill Cosby in Ghost Dad and wanted to go through the phone and just strangle the fuck out of the kid.

To be fair to the kid, he probably has a cursory knowledge of music and has been taught the basic retail sales schtick of why what they want to sell is the best ever. I mean, if you go down there and bring your Sunn Enforcer and Ampeg SS150 heads, then tell a scrawny teenage music store employee "this is gonna fuckin' crush you", he'll be desparately searching for a hardhat rather than headbanging.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:23 pm 

Jeez. I've been fixing this laptop all afternoon that's something like seven years old. First off, part of the case is loose and get's extremely hot when plugged in. It's also slow as fuck- even after updating everything and removing unnecessary files. I think it's a pretty big stretch even at my skill level to get it up and running just as new- unless my client wants to purchase new hardware which is unlikely. I'm honestly pretty surprised this thing is as old as it is and still works fairly well.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:25 pm 

Save your laptop!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:32 pm 

I actually was thinking the same thing about fireflies but this year I've seen a whole ton of them. Maybe their populations are cyclic or something?

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:51 pm 

I saw a firefly not too long ago and thought the same thing actually, "hey I haven't seen one of these in a while." I think they're seasonally about, usually don't start lighting up till late July in the states (weather-dependent obviously).

http://www.sciencebuzz.org/blog/where-h ... flies-gone
http://www.burger.com/fflinks.htm
http://projectfirefly.proboards.com/
http://daily-journal.com/archives/dj/di ... ?id=508828

It seems they mate in the Southeast when it is humid in the summer and then spread out northwards and west. Perhaps it wasn't humid enough in the southeast during May? It certainly seems hot and humid enough there now.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:57 pm 

Metantoine wrote:

It's a client's, not mine, but I always recommend uBuntu for older laptops. Some people aren't as welcome to it as others and like the familiarity of Windows such as my client today.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:03 am 

ah yeah, misread your post, sorry. I think it's lame that people don't want to try new things, I tried hard to convince my mom to switch!

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:26 am 

I just read that Turisas's new album is called "Turisas2013".

Wow. What a dumb name. I can easily see so many people being turned off from the album just because of the name.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:30 am 

Metantoine wrote:
ah yeah, misread your post, sorry. I think it's lame that people don't want to try new things, I tried hard to convince my mom to switch!

So true, especially in the world of computers with how fast technology is moving and all. 95% of the population still has the idea still that linux/unix based operating systems are left to the uber-elite hackers that can crack into user databases at the pentagon while having morning coffee.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:38 am 

I can't stop reading this Seinfeld Current Day twitter account.

https://twitter.com/Seinfeld2000

My favorite so far:

"Mario kick gerge out of Super mario bros 3 after he catch Gerge peeing in Pipe Maze world

GERGE: Its ALL PIPES!!!"

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:23 am 

Alright..... My scalp is bleeding. My knowledge of bodily functions is rather modest, but I'm fairly sure that this isn't normal.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:36 am 

Scratched open psoriasis?

Did you get your head period?
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:58 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:
To be fair to the kid, he probably has a cursory knowledge of music and has been taught the basic retail sales schtick of why what they want to sell is the best ever. I mean, if you go down there and bring your Sunn Enforcer and Ampeg SS150 heads, then tell a scrawny teenage music store employee "this is gonna fuckin' crush you", he'll be desparately searching for a hardhat rather than headbanging.

ehhh it's not exactly that. it was more of like this:

me- check if this stuff is there
kid 1- yea
me- is owner there
kid1- no but is there anything I can help you with
me- not really I just need to talk with him about arranging shipping cause I have a company to pick it up
kid1- oh oh oh oh maybe you can talk to kid2
me-whatever I just need to talk to the owner
kid2- hi what can I help you with
me- I want to talk to the owner about arranging for a shipping company to pick up some merchandise there.
kid2- I don't know, he doesn't like to ship anything
me- you aren't shipping anything, I already arranged for a shipping company if the most you might have to wrap it with cardboard, not even industrial.
kid2- I don't know he doesn't like to ship anything, he might have other things for us to do and it would be more cost effective if we just sold it to some where who walked in
me-will the owner be in tmwr?
kid2- yea his name is XX
me- good I'll call tmwr.

motherfuck tell me what is more cost effective... I am familar with this chain.... the employees literally sit on their ass for 5 out of their 3 hour shift. and yea it would be more cost effective if you sold it to someone who walked in... but it's already been sitting there a month that I know of. I have money, I want to purchase it, goddamn it sounds like a mix of laziness and clearly just wanting to hold on to shit instead of get rid of it.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:14 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
the employees literally sit on their ass for 5 out of their 3 hour shift

Need overtime? Defy the laws of spacetime themselves!

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:46 am 

Does anyone know where to find the Dawnbringer albums Unbleed and Catharsis Instinct? I know asking for download links is frowned upon, but I can't seem to find them anywhere and the only copies I can find go for wicked prices of like 70 dollars. I did find a copy of Unbleed for 20 dollars but it's used.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:55 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
MrMcThrasher II wrote:
[Animals as Leaders] can't write a riff to save their lives.

I'm not a fan of AaL, but this argument drives me up the wall. It's like complaining about there not being enough atmosphere in any given Running Wild song. Who gives a shit? That's not the point of the music. You think they suck at what they do? Absolutely, fair enough. You think they suck at something they're not doing? Well that's a stupid thing to dislike them for.

They still try to write riffs though, and they suck at it. Valid criticism.
They also DO suck at the Djent thing they attempt as well.

TheLiberation wrote:
For me generally the "this has no riffs" thing is fucking annoying, as it's utterly void of meaning (we had a thread recently about "what actually is a riff" and there was literally no direct answer) and carries totally zero argumentation.

But anyway, Animals As Leaders is something I must check out, as I've heard about them a lot but never really listened to them.

Prepare to be disappointed.
I also said there were no riffs. I said they can't write a riff to save their lives. AKA they aren't good.

The definition of a riff is: A short repeated phrase, frequently played over changing chords or used as a background to a solo improvisation. Right there from googling it, but my music teachers have given basically the same definition, so yeah.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:22 pm 

Animals as Leaders are good sometimes. "CAFO" and "Tempting Time" are both fine songs, regardless of whether or not they have "real" riffs. (Although I really gotta say, there are definitely patterns repeated for at least a measure in Tempting Time, so there are riffs sometimes. But why are we being UltraBoris?)
Hehe, foreskins.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:49 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Scratched open psoriasis?

Did you get your head period?

No psoriasis, no craneal vaginas, sorry. Maybe I should go see a doctor.....

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:56 pm 

last time I had a bloody scalp it'd turned out I'd had a nasty head lice infestation and I was scratching myself raw.

Protip if you have headlice: Rubbing Alcohol is an insanely effective way of treating it. Takes out the eggs too. Just soak your head in it for a bit and you're gravy. I did it over a bathtub, and when I dunked my head into the water to rinse and pulled it out it was just a flood of dead lice bodies.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:18 pm 

Lice? Ick.

But nah, I'm fairly sure it's not that. I haven't even been scratching my head all that much.

Deucalion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:27 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Alright..... My scalp is bleeding. My knowledge of bodily functions is rather modest, but I'm fairly sure that this isn't normal.

I've been having some health concerns, as well. My skin turns red easily, and I tend to have a red burning sensation that comes and goes on different parts of my body. My knee was burning a few nights ago, and when I looked at it, half of it was very red. It's hot to the touch, as well. It sorta reminds me of a "sun hitting you" kinda feeling. I also have a patch that's been on my side for months now. I fear it's some sort of lymphoma or skin cancer (the first doctor thought it was a fungus; the second thought it was eczema...it doesn't itch). I also have at least one sore in my mouth (stopped hurting days ago, but it's still there). This isn't really the place to post such things, but yeah.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:40 pm 

That sounds nasty, Deucalion. Haven't you been able to alleviate your condition at least partially?

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196 ... 518  Next