Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:17 am 

darkeningday wrote:
I've never even tasted a red currant (aren't they spelled redcurrant? I'll admit I'm not terribly up-to-date on my europe-native berry spellings), although I've tasted Jostaberries which I understand are fairly similar. They were absolutely delicious, although I believe they were baked in a pie, so that probably skewed my impression somewhat.

Both are acceptable spellings, though I think redcurrant is the more common and older one. It's just that English in general has something against conjoined words so it feels weird typing them like so. Never had jostaberries, but apparently they're a hybrid of blackcurrant and gooseberry so don't really taste much at all like redcurrants. In general, I like gooseberries and blackcurrants much better than redcurrants, but you have to take what you can get. The red variety is nowhere near as sweet - a lot more acidic and a bit more sour.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:55 am 

Red currants? Yeah, I also had those two days ago. Yummy stuff.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:30 am 

When I was a kid, we had some red currants growing in the yard, but those tasted like sulphuric acid to me.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:39 am 

So I bought a 90s death metal demo by a band called Windbreed off of eBay a couple weeks ago, and added an entry for it on Discogs once it arrived. Then tonight, I check my Discogs messages four days later after adding it, and the guitarist/vocalist has suddenly popped up out of nowhere, signed up for an account on the website and everything, messaging me to simply thank me for adding it. :) Somehow I feel it's little moments like these that make physical collections worth it, the fact that I merely indicated that I owned this relic and that was enough for one of the band members himself to strike up conversation.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:12 am 

I was always disappointed by red currants. They grew wild in the forests around my hometown, and we'd pick and eat as many as we could; they were never as good as I expected them to be, and I pretty much only ate them out of childish competitiveness. Far too sour for my tastes.

The blackberries that grew in the village cemetery - now those were tasty (of course, I only realised in hindsight that they grew especially well on top of the very old graves, and the clearing where they dumped remains of old caskets that got in the way of reburials).

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:29 am 

MutantClannfear wrote:
So I bought a 90s death metal demo by a band called Windbreed off of eBay a couple weeks ago, and added an entry for it on Discogs once it arrived. Then tonight, I check my Discogs messages four days later after adding it, and the guitarist/vocalist has suddenly popped up out of nowhere, signed up for an account on the website and everything, messaging me to simply thank me for adding it. :) Somehow I feel it's little moments like these that make physical collections worth it, the fact that I merely indicated that I owned this relic and that was enough for one of the band members himself to strike up conversation.

That's great. I know a lot of people, myself included, have been thanked by bands on here for writing reviews...
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:03 am 

RE: Christian music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZVNNkHwseg

ya ya ya. one of my favorite bands ever

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:05 am 

^Yep, great stuff.

Don't think I've ever had red currants, but I had a non-dried apricot for the first time the other day. Amazing. They were so good I ended up having like 20 of them.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:15 am 

There were a reasonable number of wild blackberries where I used to live; They taste quite nice if they're ripe, but they're also a heck of a lot more filled with seeds than raspberries or other similar things, so it's a bit too much of a chore unless you make them into something.

Also used to have Gooseberries, but never really enjoyed them; they feel like they're half way through deciding to evolve into something inedible.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:20 am 

Speaking of wild berries, when I was working for my cousin's music festival, we'd smoke hash before work drive to the site (it's on his property) on this golf cart sort of thing and pick wild raspberries and blackberries on the way. Absolutely delicious.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:26 am 

Mulberries are entirely underrated. I remember as a kid, the Boy Scout camp I went to every summer had these giant mulberry trees we'd climb and hang out in just eating berries all day.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:13 pm 

We have a fig tree in our backyard. Granted most of the time the netherlands is too cold for the tree to really prosper and produce fruit regulary, but there are summers in which it produces a relatively decent amount of figs. Beats all berries!

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:25 pm 

Ancient_Sorrow wrote:
There were a reasonable number of wild blackberries where I used to live; They taste quite nice if they're ripe, but they're also a heck of a lot more filled with seeds than raspberries or other similar things, so it's a bit too much of a chore unless you make them into something.

Also used to have Gooseberries, but never really enjoyed them; they feel like they're half way through deciding to evolve into something inedible.

Woah! Thanks to your post, I looked up gooseberries, and have discovered that that's what the mystery fruit is along my neighbour's fence. I saw them last year, dropping down through the cracks of the fence, and had no idea what they were. Found them again this year-- asked my dad what they were, he didn't know, said they looked like 'poison-berries' lol

Now, I know though-- nice red gooseberries. Might have to have a taste...

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:31 pm 

:lol: Tasting your neighbour's mystery fruit isn't always the best of ideas... This may be where you discover that a particularly poisonous berry just happens to look like a red gooseberry.

^^Figs are glorious; I can never stop eating them once I'm in reach of some.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:16 pm 

This is MARSDUDE in two hours:

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:29 pm 

Perhaps... They look just like these beauties, same leaves and all:

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:51 pm 

Calusari wrote:
The blackberries that grew in the village cemetery - now those were tasty (of course, I only realised in hindsight that they grew especially well on top of the very old graves, and the clearing where they dumped remains of old caskets that got in the way of reburials).

So, technically speaking, can we say that you're a ghoul, Calusari? :-P

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:53 pm 

I'm saving the link to these past few pages so the next time anyone bitches about the random bug talk, I'll have proof it could be much worse.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:38 pm 

I have been home alone for the past three days, always made sure not to keep the doors open to long to prevent mosquitoes from flying in, guess what? My mother and sister are back. MOSQUITOES EVERYWHERE.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:47 pm 

Calusari wrote:
:lol: Tasting your neighbour's mystery fruit isn't always the best of ideas... Figs are glorious; I can never stop eating them once I'm in reach of some.

Ok yeah, Napero was right after all.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:34 pm 

DAMN. Missed my shot.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:35 pm 

:lol:

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:08 pm 

One of my friends sent me this, thought you guys might get a kick out of it.
Quote:
This is not the first violent, metal related attack in Cleveland, a city where musicians who employ progressive songwriting techniques are regularly beaten and maimed and hordes of torch-carrying, flesh-eating anti-tech death gangs control the streets at night. The Cryptopsy Cryps made news back in 2008 when they ritualistically devoured the several members of Dutch metal legends Pestilence after a show at the Agora Ballroom. The sole survivor of the attack, Pestilence vocalist Patrick Mameli, recalls that the Crips were eating members of the band and howling about how “irregular time signatures and fusion jazz have no place in metal.” Mameli hid in his guitar case for three days before Cleveland police rescued him.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:20 pm 

Total support to the Crips!

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:23 pm 

I just remember eating sour grass at my school when I was a kid. Of course only after the other kids did it and didn't fall over in pain did I eat some. Never went for the berries though, always thought they'd be dangerous.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:15 am 

So I delivered 100 dollars worth of pizza to someone today and got no tip. The nerve some people have.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:18 am 

Wow. Douches. You from Butthole, Ontario too? Thought not tipping the pizza-man was exclusive to my part of town.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:27 am 

Fig Newtons :drool:

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:28 am 

MARSDUDE wrote:
Wow. Douches. You from Butthole, Ontario too? Thought not tipping the pizza-man was exclusive to my part of town.

Nope Crochfester, NY! Made $22 dollars today. What an awful day.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:32 am 

xThe__Wizard wrote:
MARSDUDE wrote:

Nope Crochfester, NY! Made $22 dollars today. What an awful day.

Do you get a wage on top of that?

Obligatory Last FM Link

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:48 am 

xThe__Wizard wrote:
So I delivered 100 dollars worth of pizza to someone today and got no tip. The nerve some people have.

It happened exactly like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=95qT-x5sQKY&t=294

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:16 am 

That sucks, people are crappy. I know a delivery guy and he say's that often people in rich neighborhoods with big houses tip somewhere between nothing and shit, and it's us schlubs in run down rental apartments that tip good.

Cinerary
Fuckin' killed a guy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:12 am 

iAm wrote:

They're called Pig Newtons...

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:19 am 

I had a dream in which Gustavo Fring from Breaking Bad threatened to kill me because I forgot to give him some papers. I don't know what kind of papers though, I don't remember. Anyway, we were forced to join forces when earth got attacked by interdimensional aliens. And yes, we were both wearing giant mech suits.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:44 am 

So The Ruins of Beverest are still doing live shows. Here's them doing 50 Forts Along the Rhine in its entirety at Deathkult Open Air.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:54 am 

That's great. Heard anything else about the upcoming album? I hope it's still released sometime this year.

Anyway, I came across this sometime back. It was definitely a walk down memory lane to see this cartoon from the 80s/90s. For those who haven't heard of SilverHawks, they were made by the creators of Thundercats.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:49 am 

Cinerary wrote:
iAm wrote:

They're called Pig Newtons...

:lol: perfect.

Also, I was a member of the anti-tech death squad in Cleveland during my tenure there. Shit's garbage.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:56 am 

CorpseFister wrote:
That sucks, people are crappy. I know a delivery guy and he say's that often people in rich neighborhoods with big houses tip somewhere between nothing and shit, and it's us schlubs in run down rental apartments that tip good.

Having served at an upscale sushi restaurant for a year, I can attest to this - though there were some interesting inversions. The place had twice-weekly special nights where basic rolls and some of the cheaper fruity martinis were very cheap, and this attracted legions of college girls who'd think they were "classy" by going out for sushi and martinis with their parents' money (fairness disclaimer: My parents also paid for college, but I didn't run around flaunting it and acting like it was my own.) Then they tipped absolute shit, which actually nullified the increased traffic we got those nights.

Thankfully the owner of the place made some pricing changes last spring and I was making bank for the rest of my time working there.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:28 am 

shouvince wrote:

Anyway, I came across this sometime back. It was definitely a walk down memory lane to see this cartoon from the 80s/90s. For those who haven't heard of SilverHawks, they were made by the creators of Thundercats.

The villain had a futuristic lovecraftian look. Nice series overall, although not better than Thundercats.

Here, people don't tip too much. I do it, around 10% of the delivery.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:04 pm 

http://mapsofcrayon.bandcamp.com/track/heart-of-palms

Ch-ch-check it. From "Leather is my True North". The first single from the album Necro and I are working on. LOVE IT.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206 ... 518  Next